Menu

Name a completely irrelevant thing that bothers you more than it should.

Excelsior! Academy

People who nod off and napping in general. My dh drives me crazy dozing in his chair. He’s lounging there now with his phone in his hand. He’ll stir, scroll, doze. Ugh. I have to be SICK to sleep in the day so napping people annoy me in general. I can’t sleep unless I’m horizontal in the quiet darkness. People that sleep anywhere make so irrationally annoyed. I guess I could forgive old people, but dh has been doing since he was 20. Totally irrational, but it makes me want to scream! My sister also takes a daily nap. It just seems so…? I hate naps. 

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

People who nod off and napping in general. My dh drives me crazy dozing in his chair. He’s lounging there now with his phone in his hand. He’ll stir, scroll, doze. Ugh. I have to be SICK to sleep in the day so napping people annoy me in general. I can’t sleep unless I’m horizontal in the quiet darkness. People that sleep anywhere make so irrationally annoyed. I guess I could forgive old people, but dh has been doing since he was 20. Totally irrational, but it makes me want to scream! My sister also takes a daily nap. It just seems so…? I hate naps. 

Naps don’t bother me much. I will take one from time to time but i do get bothered when people nap in public spaces of the house. Especially if they get irritated that people are doing Their normal thing and being normal levels of noisy. If you want silence, go get in your own bed and shut th e door 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Naps don’t bother me much. I will take one from time to time but i do get bothered when people nap in public spaces of the house. Especially if they get irritated that people are doing Their normal thing and being normal levels of noisy. If you want silence, go get in your own bed and shut th e door 

Yes this is the worst. I don’t want to see the nap. Lol dh is never disturbed by life happening around him. I’m not sure , but I may jealous a person could so deeply turn themselves off like this.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Naps - some people just require more sleep. I’m a “long sleeper” and my dr told me to get sleep where I can. I can sleep a full 9-10 hrs and feel tired again that day. Plus I take a medication that can make me tired. I often nap but I work from home. I usually do this alone in my home in a bedroom. I’m taking supplements to try to boost my energy levels. If you don’t need naps consider yourself lucky. But the image of your dh is funny and mine did the same stuff passing out in his parents’ living room at family visits lol I thought, “go to the bedroom.” 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Naps - some people just require more sleep. I’m a “long sleeper” and my dr told me to get sleep where I can. I can sleep a full 9-10 hrs and feel tired again that day. Plus I take a medication that can make me tired. I often nap but I work from home. I usually do this alone in my home in a bedroom. I’m taking supplements to try to boost my energy levels. If you don’t need naps consider yourself lucky. But the image of your dh is funny and mine did the same stuff passing out in his parents’ living room at family visits lol I thought, “go to the bedroom.” 

My dh does the same. My dad keeps their house pretty hot so any time he goes there he goes straight to sleep. I “need” lots of sleep, but my kids need lots of me so 🤷‍♀️I just need to sleep a long nap. I can’t nap if I tried.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Elizabeth86 said:

My dh does the same. My dad keeps their house pretty hot so any time he goes there he goes straight to sleep. I “need” lots of sleep, but my kids need lots of me so 🤷‍♀️

Oh gotcha. Yes it was harder for me to nap at certain ages/when the kids are at my house. My dad’s house is also warm lol depending on age you can say, “I’m taking a nap… when I get up ______ is happening.” They will not disturb you if the thing is something they want to avoid (cleaning house, bathing, etc). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People who don't get that a sell-by or best-by date is meaningless once the package is open. Yep, that jar of salsa has a sell-by of 12/2024, but nope, it is not going to be good till then when it was opened in July of 2022. Nope, just because it has vinegar in it doesn't mean it's going to be good forever. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, marbel said:

People who don't get that a sell-by or best-by date is meaningless once the package is open. Yep, that jar of salsa has a sell-by of 12/2024, but nope, it is not going to be good till then when it was opened in July of 2022. Nope, just because it has vinegar in it doesn't mean it's going to be good forever. 

My DH is guilty of this and it drives me crazy.  He will eventually toss something that's been open too long but it's practically painful for him. He hates to waste it, which I understand, but I don't want him eating something that's unsafe!

Napping - I lie down and close my eyes every day - sometimes I can take a short nap and other times I just close my eyes and rest to recharge for the rest of the day.  I have terrible insomnia and can't function without that rest time.  Even more so now as I am recovering from a concussion but I've always needed that time even pre-concussion.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kassia said:

My DH is guilty of this and it drives me crazy.  He will eventually toss something that's been open too long but it's practically painful for him. He hates to waste it, which I understand, but I don't want him eating something that's unsafe!

<snip>

We used to joke about my in-laws' refrigerator door of death, where ancient condiments sat untouched forever. Now I need to control that urge in their offspring. Yes, food waste is bad. But if it wasn't good enough to eat within the first few months, maybe....

And pair it with people who don't want to be the one to finish something. I found the remains of a bag of (expensive) pistachios in the back of the pantry. I decanted into a mason jar and put it on the kitchen table for people to eat. Yes, they do get rancid so let's eat them while they are enjoyable, people!  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, marbel said:

We used to joke about my in-laws' refrigerator door of death, where ancient condiments sat untouched forever.

I'm going to steal the "refrigerator door of death!"  Perfect!  

I worry about my dd because she's like DH now as far as not wanting to waste food.  I keep telling her nothing is worth getting sick over but I suspect she won't believe me until she actually gets food poisoning someday.

4 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

This drives me crazy too. In my family, it always seemed like it was always a few men who'd show up to my grandmother's at Thanksgiving or other events and just sleep in the middle of the room. Every year. My dad didn't but I see it in DH's family too- always and only the guys. So rude, IMO. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 8:46 AM, klmama said:

This map nails it. 

Wrong. Per that map, I live in a area between 2 and 3. And that's wrong. It was just a couple years ago I "heard" that phrasing online. I've never heard it in person. Which is good, because I think I'd automatically say "the car needs to be washed?" 

Not because I would be trying to be rude, but because I'd be so stunned. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Yes this is the worst. I don’t want to see the nap. Lol dh is never disturbed by life happening around him. I’m not sure , but I may jealous a person could so deeply turn themselves off like this.

Years ago with a large group of friends renting a beach house for a long weekend I'd fall asleep on the couch every afternoon.  I didn't really have a bed to go to.  One evening at the beach, they were talking about this screaming fight that a couple had.   I said, "What are you talking about?"   They said, "You were in the room."   Turns out it happened while I was napping and everyone thought I was just pretending to still be asleep.  I was working 80 hours/week at the time and I really really needed my sleep.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paige said:

This drives me crazy too. In my family, it always seemed like it was always a few men who'd show up to my grandmother's at Thanksgiving or other events and just sleep in the middle of the room. Every year. My dad didn't but I see it in DH's family too- always and only the guys. So rude, IMO. 

My BIL used to always do this.  He's a really good guy but he would pretty much snore through every family gathering!  

1 hour ago, barnwife said:

Wrong. Per that map, I live in a area between 2 and 3. And that's wrong. It was just a couple years ago I "heard" that phrasing online. I've never heard it in person. Which is good, because I think I'd automatically say "the car needs to be washed?" 

Not because I would be trying to be rude, but because I'd be so stunned. 

Perhaps I should clarify.  IME it nails it for the 5 region.

That I can't coordinate the order periods of my three medications so that I occasionally am able to order them at the same time. I've tried shuffling the order dates around a bit to help them coincide, but then I lose track and just order one that is coming due.

In a few months I'm due to drop one, which will improve the situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, klmama said:

Perhaps I should clarify.  IME it nails it for the 5 region.

Interesting.

I've lived in both the “least acceptable” and “most acceptable” zones and either I’ve never, ever heard it or it’s never registered. Out of curiosity, I wish I knew which is true.

Regardless, it doesn’t hit my ears in any particular way.

On 7/23/2022 at 6:47 AM, Elizabeth86 said:

This is common with people who have sleep apnea. They never actually get enough sleep, so they doze off a lot. If he’s a snorer, you might want to look into it. 

• Like 5

On 7/22/2022 at 10:24 AM, Junie said:

Oh, thank you!  I recently met someone from the midwest and I realized that I need to not be sarcastic with him because he just doesn't get it.

As somone from the midwest, I am seriously confused about this. Sarcasm is like a second language in my circles, closely followed by snark. This has been true most of my life. 

We do have the midwestern polite, which means we might hold off on sarcasm or snark until we're sure you'll appreciate it. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, elegantlion said:

As somone from the midwest, I am seriously confused about this. Sarcasm is like a second language in my circles, closely followed by snark. This has been true most of my life. 

We do have the midwestern polite, which means we might hold off on sarcasm or snark until we're sure you'll appreciate it. 

Our sarcasm is deadpan enough people from other regions sometimes miss it.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 3:48 PM, sassenach said:

Spin-off, please enlighten this Californian. What’s considered the Midwest? Is PA? 

On 7/21/2022 at 4:18 PM, Junie said:

I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and a lot of people do this.  The German heritage makes sense.

And Scottish. It’s a Scottish thing as well.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:25 PM, sassenach said:

Uh oh, lol. By the PA responses I'm going to guess that PA people don't consider themselves as midwest? 

Not in the slightest. Mid atlantic for sure. I don’t think any of the original colonies thinks of themselves as midwest. 

On 7/22/2022 at 9:30 AM, Danae said:

I moved from Maryland to PA and started hearing “needs washed”. For the first 15 years I lived here, it would rankle. I hated it. It took everything in me not to correct the locals.  But about 4 years ago, I stopped thinking of it as “wrong” and starting thinking of it as a dialect. Dialects are allowed to be “wrong.”

Another common one around here in PA is using let and leave backwards.  Instead of “Leave that on the table,” they’ll say, “Let that on the table.” It’s hard for me to think of that one as a dialect and not just wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

Yes, I think it's just that person and the area he is from has nothing to do with it.

My DH is from OH and if he didn't speak sarcasm, he'd be mute. 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1