Menu

Wordle

happi duck

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/31/business/media/new-york-times-wordle.html

The NYT says the game will 'initially remain free '.

I wonder how long the "initial" free period will last before it's only available with a NYT Games subscription. I subscribe to the news site, but I'm not going to pay a separate fee just to get Wordle and a few other puzzles. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, deBij said:

Wordle 227 3/6*

🟨
🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Are people using different sites that get them black squares?

I was wondering if people were using a different type of device or browser?  I get the black squares cutting and pasting between 2 Safari windows on an iPad.  

30 minutes ago, catz said:

I was wondering if people were using a different type of device or browser?  I get the black squares cutting and pasting between 2 Safari windows on an iPad.  

Maybe.  I am using Chrome Browser on Windows.   

I don't cut and paste though.  I use the bar graph icon on top, and then select the share button which puts the summary in my clipboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, deBij said:

Maybe.  I am using Chrome Browser on Windows.   

I don't cut and paste though.  I use the bar graph icon on top, and then select the share button which puts the summary in my clipboard.

Oh, that's how I am sharing on iPad browsers too.  Not using any standard cut and paste.  I'd never share if I had to jump through more hoops than that.  😂  I actually think that is part of the beauty of  wordle - that we all have the same word every day and it's super easy and fun to share the graphic and discuss strategy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deBij said:

Wordle 227 3/6*

🟨
🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Are people using different sites that get them black squares?

In the settings you can change it to dark mode. My eyes don't prefer that, though.

Wordle 227 3/6

🟨
🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, catz said:

Oh, that's how I am sharing on iPad browsers too.  Not using any standard cut and paste.  I'd never share if I had to jump through more hoops than that.  😂  I actually think that is part of the beauty of  wordle - that we all have the same word every day and it's super easy and fun to share the graphic and discuss strategy.  

I also think everyone doing the same Wordle is fantastic.
It is kind of like in the 80s when everyone used to watch the same television shows and discussed them the next day 🙂

I hope it stays free and easy to access with the NYT.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, strawberries said:

I don't have high hopes that NYT will keep it free. I also subscribe to them for news but don't have games or cooking subscriptions. 

19 minutes ago, strawberries said:

I don't have high hopes that NYT will keep it free. I also subscribe to them for news but don't have games or cooking subscriptions. 

That will be sad.  Wordle has created a pleasant common topic.
I have enjoyed many FB reconnections as a result of Wordle.

• Like 2

Wordle 227 2/6

🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My best one yet, but I feel like I’ve cheated. The other day, one of my Facebook friends posted that she got the Wordle on her first try. This led to a discussion about how people choose their first Wordle word each day. Another Facebook friend happened to comment what word she uses as her first guess each day. Fast forward to today, that Facebook friend who commented what first word she uses each time posted her Wordle for today. Because I knew her first word, I was able to easily figure out todays word. So I did great, but not without help. 

I love Wordle and really hope that it stays free. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, happi duck said:

People are starting to tweet #keepwordlefree if anyone is interested in trying to help get it trending!

I'd be totally fine if they want to slap an advertising box on the page but don't take it away NYT!  This was life changing for that guy, I don't blame him a bit.

• Like 5

I was just reading an article that the NYT wants to use Wordle to help increase online subscriptions. I don't know if that means it will be free and they hope people will subscribe from just being exposed to their website or that it will only be available to subscribers.

Wordle 227 3/6

🟩🟩
🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

re NYT strategy

38 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I was just reading an article that the NYT wants to use Wordle to help increase online subscriptions. I don't know if that means it will be free and they hope people will subscribe from just being exposed to their website or that it will only be available to subscribers.

Wordle 227 3/6

🟩🟩
🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My SIL adores word puzzles, has done the NYT crosswords since before Gore invented the interweb; and the NPR sunday puzzle equally religiously (and that one, you have to wait a full week to get the answer); and subscribes not only to the NYT crossword and Spelling Bee (you can trial that one free ~10x) but to several other paid puzzle apps as well. She's diehard.

Her take on what the Times will do with Wordle is, they'll use it as a free gateway to an expanded offering of paid puzzles. Like, every day there will be a free Wordle and ONE free Spelling Bee, or ONE anagram, or ONE word letter, or whatever.  Come for the wordle, get hooked on the habit, pay for Spelling Bee.  Something like that.

She's just hypothesizing, but she knows the niche.  And Wordle has tapped into (and expanded) that niche in a huge way. And NYT is experimenting with its cafeteria-style fee structure. I can see how it might work for them.

(Sidebar, but:  Personally I would LOVE for media outlets to offer "20 articles a month for $1/month" sort of option.  It's not reasonable to expect responsible journalism for free. I'm willing to pay, and do pay for NYT / WaPo / WSJ.  But outlets like Bloomberg and LA Times and Miami Herald -- I want to support them, but the annual subscription is too high for the handful of articles I actually utilize.)

• Like 10

I can't confirm that this is true, since I read it as part of a discussion on a different forum and not a news story, but someone who seemed to know a lot of details about the sale said the developer made it a condition of the sale that Wordle remain free, and it's likely that the NYT will instead generate revenue through ads as well as using it as a free "gateway game" to suck people into a Games subscription. The poster also said that all the words that the developer selected for Wordle are in a folder and there is actually a way to download the entire game, including all the words, but I am ridiculously untechy and I don't remember the steps. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pam in CT said:

(Sidebar, but:  Personally I would LOVE for media outlets to offer "20 articles a month for $1/month" sort of option.  It's not reasonable to expect responsible journalism for free. I'm willing to pay, and do pay for NYT / WaPo / WSJ.  But outlets like Bloomberg and LA Times and Miami Herald -- I want to support them, but the annual subscription is too high for the handful of articles I actually utilize.)

Totally agree. It’s especially frustrating when there’s a one off article in a news outlet from the other side of the country that it would never make any sense for me to subscribe to, but I have absolutely no way to read the article because of the subscription requirement. I thought that it would make sense for there to be some kind of news subscription service that different outlets could all belong to and you could pay for that and it would give you access to all of them. Or to a certain number of articles a month, like you say.

51 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

The poster also said that all the words that the developer selected for Wordle are in a folder and there is actually a way to download the entire game, including all the words, but I am ridiculously untechy and I don't remember the steps. 

This part is definitely true. The whole game operates client side and you can actually suck the whole word catalog off of it if you want to. That’s how people are able to share spoilers such as “there are no words in the catalog with xyz letter pattern” I heard my first one of those today, and was not pleased to get a spoiler and I will wipe it from my brain because it’s something that I still find helpful and use frequently to get clues from my first two words. My DH was actually initially confused that the New York Times could even have bought it, given that anyone playing it has already gotten access to the whole thing as it currently exists with the whole word catalog.

• Like 3

Has anyone tried Absurdle? You’re welcome 😇 

Eta: I don’t find it nearly as satisfying, but it was fun to play a couple times 

Absurdle 6/∞

🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Edited by KSera
Adding graphic
  • Like 2

You can keep the game free for you!

The game is written client-side which means you can download it.

Just  right-click on the webpage and select 'save as'.  Save on your computer, and you can play the game by double click on your locally saved game.   

P.S.  Don't go snooping through the files because you will see the wordle list.

Wordle 228 3/6*

🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Like 2

I was actually just wondering how long it would be before it got sold. The maker has to get money somehow and at the moment it’s either sell it or put ads on it somewhere.

It fits really well into NYT suite of games though I will be disappointed if it goes into the paid ones. 

i wonder why there’s not a subscription option where you can subscribe across a range of different papers. Of course that could contribute to the whole situation where people only read from similar view sources. I’d love to have NYT puzzle access but it’s actually quite expensive for what it is I think and play money is scarce around here. I do the minis and the free part of the spelling bee quite often.

ARGH I GOT CAUGHT IN THE RHYMING VORTEX TODAY

Wordle 228 6/6

🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

(When you just barely get it on the last row, instead of saying "Impressive!" or "Good job!" it says

phew!

lol)

• Haha 9