Menu

Wordle

happi duck

I got it in 3 today, while husband took 5; but I got it largely because I got 0 in my first guess. Which while immensely irritating in the moment actually provides more actionable information.

(There's a metaphor for life in there somewhere, which I will now proceed to studiously ignore)

• Like 3

Wordle 216 4/6

🟨

🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 

I was having difficulty figuring out the vowel. I just happened to guess my third word that actually had three letters in the correct position. It was easy after that. 

Sometimes my problem is that I guess words that are too obscure I think. 

• Like 1

This tip from the Art of Problem Solving is really interesting. I've been tempted to use an "s" at the end of the word, but it seems that this is not very common at all.

Tip alert!: Wordle words rarely end in S – it is the 15th most popular last letter. Wordle words end in S less than 2% of the time, compared to 31% of the full set of five-letter words. This is the result of the Wordle list being made from hand-picking words — and the contrast is surprising.

https://artofproblemsolving.com/news/articles/the-math-of-winning-wordle

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

That Art of Problem Solving article was so fun! Now I put in a word, then another word that has nothing in common with the first word -- even if the first word had some "hits" in it. That hadn't occurred to me as a strategy before I read the article.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Do you guys always start with the same word? (I do)

I've been trying it, along with the AoPS advice to try a word with totally different letters second. I *think* it's pretty good strategy.

Wordle 218 3/6

🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I used to but now I find it more fun to just pull a random word out of thin air.  I don't read the solving tips etc because I don't find that fun 

Pretty much same. I thought the AOPS article was interesting, but then proceeded to disregard it because somehow I felt like I would be “cheating“ to follow their method rather than developing my own (but I don’t think anyone else is if they do, just to be clear). So far mine seems to be working pretty well for me anyway. I can’t bring myself to always start with the same word, but I do usually tend to start with a word that has both E and A. 

• Like 1

I use the same two words for my first two no matter what, except the one day I got four of the five letters in the right place the first try. I stuck with those then, lol.

Editing to be more clear (hopefully) - I use two different words for my first and second try, but they are the same two different words each day. 

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I use the same two words for my first two no matter what, except the one day I got four of the five letters in the right place the first try. I stuck with those then, lol.

Editing to be more clear (hopefully) - I use two different words for my first and second try, but they are the same two different words each day. 

Same

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm SOOOO glad that there aren't too many really weird words, like in the AoPS article. That really scared me. I've only missed one word, and all the ones I've guessed so far have been pretty normal words. Thank goodness!

Yeah, I was wondering the same! Good to know!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Today's is weird. But... wordle in 3.

Same.  Dh is asking me how I get them quicker than him.  I started explaining all the spelling rules I go through to place letters/develop words and....I'm still beating him.😄 He's catching up, though!

• Like 3

On 1/24/2022 at 3:44 AM, KSera said:

I was so stumped for forever after three words today. Took me ages, but finally came up with the solution for my fourth word. Wordle was featured in an SNL skit this weekend. 

I wasn't even sure if that was how that word was spelled, lol! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

Wordle 220 3/6

🟩🟩
🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

But yesterday I took FIVE, which has only happened once before.

I'm nearly always 3 or 4.  Only once in 2, pure luck. 

Same here- yesterday was 5.

Wordle 220 3/6

🟩🟨🟨

🟩🟨🟨🟨

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Like 1

I went back to the archives - so much for the game not being a time suck! My goal is to always get it and I don't care how many tries, so I usually get them at 4 or 5 after putting in my go to words first. I've done 120 and lost one. Still mad about that one. I knew it was one of two possibilities and just picked the wrong one. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I went back to the archives - so much for the game not being a time suck! My goal is to always get it and I don't care how many tries, so I usually get them at 4 or 5 after putting in my go to words first. I've done 120 and lost one. Still mad about that one. I knew it was one of two possibilities and just picked the wrong one. 

no no no no no no no I can't hear you la la la la la

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I got super lucky today. My first time to get it in two! 

Wordle 221 2/6

🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wow! It’s hard for me to think through what you had for that first word but allowed you to get it on the second. Obviously I don’t want you to tell me because it would give the word away to other people, but that is impressive!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

Wordle 221 3/6

🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Getting zero letters correct in the first go was surprisingly helpful since it eliminated a lot of common letters.

I've had my first two words give me nothing and my third give me two. It was easy to get it on the fourth. I decided there is a life lesson there about staring at two lines of grey and thinking you should go back to bed but in reality it's not that bad a thing. Or something, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2