Menu

Wordle

happi duck

11 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Anyone want to chat strategy? 

I am starting with a word that contains the two most common vowels (A, E) and three of the most common consonants (which are S, T, N, and R). That maximizes the probability of having some of the correct letters.

Unless I get the two vowels correct in the first try, I use a second word that samples two of the remaining vowels (because it is extremely likely that a 5 letter word has more than one vowel) and some untried consonants.

As of try #3, I start thinking what the word can be based on the info gained from the first two tries.

• Like 10

strategy

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

I am starting with a word that contains the two most common vowels (A, E) and three of the most common consonants (which are S, T, N, and R). That maximizes the probability of having some of the correct letters.

Unless I get the two vowels correct in the first try, I use a second word that samples two of the remaining vowels (because it is extremely likely that a 5 letter word has more than one vowel) and some untried consonants.

As of try #3, I start thinking what the word can be based on the info gained from the first two tries.

This is exactly what I do. (Obviously being careful never to re-use a proven-wrong consonant again.)

If you ever played the (visual) game Mastermind, it helps a LOT.  (This was among my all-time favorite games as a kid.)

#CodebreakersUnite

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Tree Frog said:

Our family has been cheering each other on. I'm the slowest of the bunch, but got today's before anyone else because I was up until 12:10. 😃

The game is British. The word is released at midnight GMT. So folks in the US can do "tomorrow's" word today between 4pm and 7pm depending on time zone 🙂

• Like 2

Just looked at this.  Not a game I could play without a lot of work,.  Dh likes Wheel of Fortune and I don't.  I have a really hard time with most kind of word puzzles.  But I love Quiz Planet because that is the kind of game I can do very well.  I am much better at knowledge games than dh but forget about words/  I can only do very easy crossword puxzzles or help dh with knowledge for crossword puzzles- like who wrote something or name of some dish or ?

4 hours ago, Annie G said:

I’m enjoying it, especially the one word a day. No opportunity for me to play too long when I should be doing other things. Plus it’s helping me focus because I only have a few guesses. 

So I guess you don't want to know that there are unlimited versions where you can play over and over again, right? google wordle unlimited.

with my hurt arm Im playing it a LOT.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So I guess you don't want to know that there are unlimited versions where you can play over and over again, right? google wordle unlimited.

I'm going to pretend I didn't read this.  I just started wordle today and liked it a lot.  But I am recovering from a concussion so I shouldn't be playing.  I'm also recovering from major reconstructive foot surgery so I'm stuck on the couch and wordle is perfect for me other than the stupid concussion.

Hope your arm feels better soon.  I told DH about it yesterday - looks so painful.  😞  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Nope. Going to limit myself to the original because self regulation isn’t a strength of mine. But you’re on injured reserve, so play away!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, regentrude said:

The game is British. The word is released at midnight GMT. So folks in the US can do "tomorrow's" word today between 4pm and 7pm depending on time zone 🙂

I thought that, too, but I completed yesterday's word about 10 pm and I sent a message to my family after I completed today's at 6 min past midnight this morning. So I think it releases around midnight local time. 🤷

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tree Frog said:

I thought that, too, but I completed yesterday's word about 10 pm and I sent a message to my family after I completed today's at 6 min past midnight this morning. So I think it releases around midnight local time. 🤷

It looks that way to me, too.

LOLOLOL. Ok so I just played my first game and failed miserably! I mis-read the instructions. Had a bunch of gold letters and thought they were in the correct spot and ended up with no way to make a word. Ooops! It is the greens that are in the correct spot!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I am so bad at this.  After two words I simply couldn't think of a third that would fit the criteria.

I've found it worthwhile to enter a word using the correct letters in incorrect spaces just for the sake of testing out other letters that may be in the word.  Sometimes when you get just one more letter, the brain cooperates and gives you the word.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, VickiMNE said:

I've found it worthwhile to enter a word using the correct letters in incorrect spaces just for the sake of testing out other letters that may be in the word.  Sometimes when you get just one more letter, the brain cooperates and gives you the word.

Classic Mastermind move.  Practice with the shuffling and getting-unstuck moves of Mastermind *really* help with wordle.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I did NOT need to know this 😂😂😂

I’m going to have to go dust off the games in the game closet, we may actually have an old Mastermind set, thanks for that reminder. 

• Like 2