Menu

Is it cheesy to throw your own graduation celebration?

AbcdeDooDah

I just invited all my kids to get together to celebrate my graduation with my AA. Thirty years after I started. I’m pretty darn proud of myself and want to celebrate. Now I feel embarrassed. Dh has not been very supportive of me going back to school and has not planned anything. I feel like when I tell him, he’ll get defensive and ask if he was supposed to plan something. I don’t want to be passive-aggresive, I just want to celebrate. 

• Like 25

Either plan your own party, or tell Dh exactly what party you want and that you want him to plan it.  If he doesn’t get on board, plan your own party. Don’t give him an opportunity to disappoint you on such a wonderful occasion.  Nothing cheesy about throwing your own party. 

• Like 16

My first response (& I apologize upfront-but..)

Darn diddly right I'll be throwing myself a party and if certain persons in my family make a fuss, they can't come.

Congratulations to you!!!

PS I'd absolutely do it myself so that I can control it. I have passive aggressive people in my life that would love to mess it up.

Edited by MooCow
  • Like 9

Congrats!!! Throw yourself a party. Just invite your husband as a guest, just like your kids are guests. You could just tell him gifts are not required.

My husband is not the kind who plans party. He would be happy to eat leftover party food. My husband would think buying a gift is expected unless I tell him otherwise.

• Like 8

DO IT! 

I also graduated with an AA late in life. I went to the ceremony to walk the stage. I felt disappointed about my husband’s behavior, too, because he came for the ceremony with one of my sons but left before the end to make kid’s baseball practice. I came off the stage looking for my people and only my daughter was there because she could drive independently.  I felt hurt that he didnt make an exception on sports for something I was so proud of. I felt very minimized. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 18

6 hours ago, Quill said:

DO IT! 

I also graduated with an AA late in life. I went to the ceremony to walk the stage. I felt disappointed about my husband’s behavior, too, because he came for the ceremony with one of my sons but left before the end to make kid’s baseball practice. I came off the stage looking for my people and only my daughter was there because she could drive independently.  I felt hurt that he didnt make an exception on sports for something I was so proud of. I felt very minimized. 

I’m sorry. I totally get that feeling.

After I told him about it last night it went exactly how I thought it would. Oh, well.

No ceremony, which feels a little disappointing, but the school is doing an online slide show. I will walk in two years after my BA! 🎉

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I just invited all my kids to get together to celebrate my graduation with my AA. Thirty years after I started. I’m pretty darn proud of myself and want to celebrate. Now I feel embarrassed. Dh has not been very supportive of me going back to school and has not planned anything. I feel like when I tell him, he’ll get defensive and ask if he was supposed to plan something. I don’t want to be passive-aggresive, I just want to celebrate. 

That’s awesome!!! Great job!

i think it is fine to throw yourself a party...for any reason, LOL...but it is definitely OK to throw yourself a grad party!

i hope you have a wonderful time!

if you feel like sharing, what did you get your degree in?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pinball said:

That’s awesome!!! Great job!

i think it is fine to throw yourself a party...for any reason, LOL...but it is definitely OK to throw yourself a grad party!

i hope you have a wonderful time!

if you feel like sharing, what did you get your degree in?

Criminal Justice. I want to be a victim advocate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

That’s so interesting! What’s your next step towards achieving this goal?

I'm transferring to a 4-year in the fall. I will need to seek out a volunteer opportunity in crisis/advocacy while I work on my BA. Many places hire from their volunteer force, or I can apply to a county court system.

• Like 2

re victim advocacy

19 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Criminal Justice. I want to be a victim advocate.

18 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I'm transferring to a 4-year in the fall. I will need to seek out a volunteer opportunity in crisis/advocacy while I work on my BA. Many places hire from their volunteer force, or I can apply to a county court system.

That is WONDERFUL.  I'm having a little virtual party over here on your behalf. 

1603380328_1P2RQoG-REh0vOriOJX_bG10jTmOPPzUGLoeJE4M-i-eRmOV0JmMpUSCqe16eNGRjp_f5LQs85.jpg.fbad56dbd6d151ccb4fb73e67d51eb23.jpg

Well done, and good luck on the next stage of your program.

I don't think it is cheesy. It is a celebration of a major achievement.

I had an incomplete general sciences minor from 33 years ago. I have my B.A. in both music ed and piano performance, and a minor in philosophy, but missed two classes towards completion of the science minor which was my other passion at that time, and still is. So in the summer of 2020, I called my alma mater and talked with them about the possibility of completing it, what it would take, if my credits from way back then would still be counted, etc. Apparently, they were more than happy to take in some tuition and fees! LOL. I thought they would say no. Credits were not an issue since so had graduated with a BA, and had also taught middle school science at some private schools off and on over the years. So we found two online classes that would meet the requirements, I took those (and they even discounted tuition which makes me think that they were lookIng at not filling all their freshman spots for fall and were thinking just get money, any money) and voila, minor was complete. Then I followed up just for fun with two aerospace engineering courses from another university. Holy cow! After years of being out of school and 32 + years since Calc 1, those classes kicked my tush. But, I not only passed, I worked my tail off and earned A's. This was just huge to me. Huge! I wanted to have a party because to me, this was just a really happy, difficult achievement! The pandemic prevented me from having anything remotely close to a party. However, dh made steak and snow crab legs, baked potato, roasted garlicky green beans, and GF cheesecake for me, and one of our collegians was home at the time so I guess we will call it a three person party. As a side note, I am still taking coursework just for fun, just for personal enrichment, and my favorite so far as been a human space exploration and ethics course.

I think you should do what makes you happy. This world is a really place a lot of the time, and we have been socially conditioned, we women, to be in constant give mode while downplaying our own achievements and ignoring our own needs. We all need to stop doing to that, and find joy for ourselves. We are healthier members of society when we have more balance in perspective and less worry about what others think.

• Like 1