Menu

Does Schitt’s Creek get better?

Frances

So previously I didn’t make it all the way through the first episode of the show. Now since it won all of the awards, I tried again and made it through the first two episodes. It’s ok, but at this point, not something I really have any desire to watch further unless someone can assure me it gets way better.

• Like 2

I read a while back that the Levys starred the show as a bit of a lark. Then Dan realized that the cast/show actually had "real" potential and I think that's when he started doing more/most of the writing himself. 
It's soooo good. Moira is a treasure. 😅 All of them are. 
(there's less of Mayor (?) Schitt's weirdness as the show progresses...)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Agree it gets better. At the beginning, the characters are so unlikable. But eventually the characters become very likable and sweet. 

Great character arcs, this show. Slow and gradual. 
I wish I could be watching it for the first time again!! 😊 

(ftr, I also stopped watching early and dh watched ahead several more episodes and encouraged me to give it another go)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

So, could one skip, say, the first season or X episodes and just jump in where it starts to get good, and if so, where would that be? 

Personally.... I think one must endure the less-than-great episodes to really appreciate the characters properly. You've gotta meet all the Schitts and meet Stevie properly and see the Roses when they are at their prime narcissistic, delusional states in order to appreciate when things begin to... shift. 

• Like 7

I felt like it was better for me by about the fifth or sixth episode. By the end of the first season I was like, okay, this is mildly charming and not the unwatchable dumpster fire that the first episode or two was. Of course, by the second season, I was like, oh, this is actually good. And by the end, it was ALL THE FEELS.

• Like 6

I've encouraged a lot of people to keep going with it. I was one of the few people to watch it when it came out (I really like Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy) but I hated it so much that I didn't keep watching. It wasn't until season 4 when everyone I knew was nigh on obsessed that I was like, okay, fine, I'll try it again.

Obviously, some shows just find their stride after a few episodes or a season and that's part of what happened. But also, part of it is that they're all doing such good character work that it builds. And that's why you can't skip the first ones. It's not funny in a vacuum if Moira says "baby" wrong. It's only funny if you know Moira.

• Like 6

It started out as another dumb show my dh wanted to watch that I endured while I played on my phone but then got to where I was laughing out loud all the time. We haven’t watched the latest season yet and it’s been a while since we finished the rest so I can’t even remember when it started to turn good.

Personally I just love Alexis. She should be so very annoying but I just think everything she says is hysterical. 

• Like 2

I gave up on it, but started watching again due to all the buzz. But I'm usually paying attention to a million other things when I watch TV so I decided to do a re-watch when I first got to the end of season 5 to catch everything I missed. 

Let me tell you, when I started back at Season 1 after watching Season 5 it was like an entirely different show. I saw why I gave up on it in the first place. So hang in there. It's amazing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

And that's why you can't skip the first ones. It's not funny in a vacuum if Moira says "baby" wrong. It's only funny if you know Moira.

our whole family says "bebe" now. But, yes, only funny when you know Moira. lol

And SO MANY Alexis quotes. omgosh. 😂 We also say "David" a lot in our Alexis-voices when we're trying to get someone's attention. lol OR, when someone's missing the obvious, it's "Hey, the pedals make it move more!"

Ah. So much good stuff packed into one show. lol

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

Personally I just love Alexis. She should be so very annoying but I just think everything she says is hysterical. 

Same. They ALL should be beyond annoying (and are, in the beginning) and yet, somehow, they managed to make ppl fall in love with the characters - flaws and all. ♥ Alexis should grate on every nerve I have and yet, she's so earnest... what can you do but love her character? lol

It's one of the few shows that pulled it all together - well-written, well-directed, well-acted. AND they ended at the right time and didn't drag it on forever. Genius!!

(hoping for a few miniseries/movies in the future, though?)

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 5

Obviously, the first couple of episodes are cringy......but I think moving through all of the annoying bits, is part of what makes the show. The characters weren't likeable at first, the situation was uncomfortable and forced, but as they evolved and the story line fell into place, they became more loveable. It is kinda like real life in that way. Those annoying coworkers,, neighbors, and significant others of our family/friends....are all a bit rough when we first meet them. But over time, we find the best in others and that is what this show is about.  The traits that were annoying it the beginning, can change into what you love about someone. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, kand said:

Now I feel like odd man out because I enjoyed it from the very first show 😳. Now, that may have been because I was really sick in bed and needed something to binge watch, and this hit just the right note for me. For sure it got better and better as it went though. When I rewatched with my older kids, I looked forward to getting to season three or so and noticed a difference around there. I enjoyed David from the beginning though. Even though his character gets much better as it goes along, I thought he was hilarious from the start. 

David is eternally magnificent. He has/is the heart of the show from the very beginning through to the very end. ♥

(I also enjoyed the family from the get-go - but found Roland Schitt to be SO cringy, I was turned off of the show until DH insisted that Roland doesn't have as much screentime in later episodes. lol And he, like the rest, becomes less... intense... which was pleasant.)

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 5

On 10/5/2020 at 11:00 PM, Frances said:

So previously I didn’t make it all the way through the first episode of the show. Now since it won all of the awards, I tried again and made it through the first two episodes. It’s ok, but at this point, not something I really have any desire to watch further unless someone can assure me it gets way better.

I'm glad you asked this question because I felt the same way as you did.  I was so surprised by all the awards it won.  

• Like 1

I discovered it streaming between seasons 1 and 2 and was hooked in episode 1. LOVE THIS SHOW! I’ve watched every season several times now. I even grabbed my oldest and watched it with her (of course I cringed and considered fast forward thru age-appropriate bits but DD pointed out that high school hallways were waaaaaaaay worse).

”Ewww. David!” is a favorite here. We even had several SC gifts like a mug with our favorite sayings and the “A” necklace that Alexis wears. DD’s hair is even inspired by Alexis. They look very similar.

top 3 favorite tv series of all time for sure!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, aggie96 said:

I discovered it streaming between seasons 1 and 2 and was hooked in episode 1. LOVE THIS SHOW! I’ve watched every season several times now. I even grabbed my oldest and watched it with her (of course I cringed and considered fast forward thru age-appropriate bits but DD pointed out that high school hallways were waaaaaaaay worse).

”Ewww. David!” is a favorite here. We even had several SC gifts like a mug with our favorite sayings and the “A” necklace that Alexis wears. DD’s hair is even inspired by Alexis. They look very similar.

top 3 favorite tv series of all time for sure!

DD has a Rose Apothecary t-shirt and a glass of David saying, "I'm trying very hard not to connect with people right now."  We love the Roses!

• Like 3

I was going to say that I don't have time to waste on 5-6 bad episodes to get to the good stuff because the series I like are good right away (Firefly, Psych, White Collar). But I started watching last night to see what I thought.

Gotta say that I liked it right away so I hope it doesn't get worse for me while it improves for the rest of you. I think it is hilariously cringy. I liked David right away. It is ridiculously easy right now to know exactly where an episode is going, but I don't mind predictable since it is funny.

I'm watching on Amazon Prime "with commercials."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I was going to say that I don't have time to waste on 5-6 bad episodes to get to the good stuff because the series I like are good right away (Firefly, Psych, White Collar). But I started watching last night to see what I thought.

Gotta say that I liked it right away so I hope it doesn't get worse for me while it improves for the rest of you. I think it is hilariously cringy. I liked David right away. It is ridiculously easy right now to know exactly where an episode is going, but I don't mind predictable since it is funny.

I'm watching on Amazon Prime "with commercials."

I think you'll love it. We stuck with it in the beginning even though it was new and we didn't know it was going to get good. LOL. It definitely held our interest enough to keep going. We like cringy humor so that is probably what got us through the first episodes when others were turned off. 

This is one of the few shows that actually makes we laugh out loud. We just started the final season last night. I forgot how good it is. I think we'll go back and watch them again when it is over and we don't usually do that with shows. 

So many great characters. The Rose family of course but the supporting characters too. Jocelyn and Twyla are great. Ronnie too!

• Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 10:31 AM, easypeasy said:

our whole family says "bebe" now. But, yes, only funny when you know Moira. lol

And SO MANY Alexis quotes. omgosh. 😂 We also say "David" a lot in our Alexis-voices when we're trying to get someone's attention. lol OR, when someone's missing the obvious, it's "Hey, the pedals make it move more!"

Ah. So much good stuff packed into one show. lol

Same. They ALL should be beyond annoying (and are, in the beginning) and yet, somehow, they managed to make ppl fall in love with the characters - flaws and all. ♥ Alexis should grate on every nerve I have and yet, she's so earnest... what can you do but love her character? lol

It's one of the few shows that pulled it all together - well-written, well-directed, well-acted. AND they ended at the right time and didn't drag it on forever. Genius!!

(hoping for a few miniseries/movies in the future, though?)

So jealous you have people to quote the show with.   How fun.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kand said:

Now I feel like odd man out because I enjoyed it from the very first show . 

I was just about to post asking if I was the only one who was hooked from the first episode! Of course it gets much better but I liked it from the beginning. At first it was seemingly a show about some filthy rich people who were getting their comeuppance, and I've never been a Chris Elliot fan, but as the show goes on they all (even his character) become more like real people just dealing with what life throws at them. But with better lines than most of us use when life throws crap at us.

I have just started watching it and really like it so far.  I am still on season 1 and find that each episode is better than the one before.  Years ago when it first came out I tried to watch it and just couldn't stand it.  I'm glad I decided to give it another try.

Edited by Ditto
typo
  • Like 4

On 10/5/2020 at 11:23 PM, Hoggirl said:

Glomming on here - how far into it before it gets better? 

I'd say season 3.  I persevered this far and I'm just now starting to like it.  Until this I've been thinking that the Emmy awards were a cosmic stunt to gaslight me.  Dh continues to hate it. 😆

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, stephanier.1765 said:

Chiming in to say thank you to all of you who encouraged those of us who might have skipped Schitt's Creek to give it a go. I just finished the final episode and watched the behind the scenes show. Schitt's Creek was wonderful, charming, heartwarming, tear jerking goodness.

Yay.  Glad you liked it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I didn't make it through the first 2 shows. Maybe I'll try again, though. I guess I don't see the draw to it, though? And there is something about the gal who plays the daughter - I actually can't look at the screen when she is on, kind of like Donnie Wahlberg. Just ew.

Here's hoping Hive input/encouragement makes this show get better. A lot better. 😉

3 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

I didn't make it through the first 2 shows. Maybe I'll try again, though. I guess I don't see the draw to it, though? And there is something about the gal who plays the daughter - I actually can't look at the screen when she is on, kind of like Donnie Wahlberg. Just ew.

Here's hoping Hive input/encouragement makes this show get better. A lot better. 😉

It took me starting and stopping a few times before I was hooked. I don’t know where exactly I started enjoying it, but it definitely got better with every season. I especially loved how it portrayed the gay love story as just completely normal with no homophobia, as that is not what you normally see on TV or in movies. Also, seeing the family members mature, change, evolve, and grow closer to each other was wonderful.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 8:46 AM, happi duck said:

I liked it from the beginning too!  (And also found Roland to be sooo cringy!)

I've actually been wondering if someone who dislikes it enough to turn it off will eventually like it.  (I can't imagine disliking SC though!)

I started watching it when it first came out. I only watched two episodes and wrote it off as "dumb". But, I watched it all this past year and did end up liking it.

• Like 2