Menu

What kind of pets do you have? Have you added any during the Stay at home order?

mommyoffive

We have two rescues adopted long before the pandemic began: One is now 15; adopted right before she turned 11. She's 2/3 Goldie and 1/3 Beagle with something else thrown in. She's also diabetic and blind. She is so sweet and grateful for a soft bed. 

Our second rescue is a now 10 1/2 year old male Dachshund; we've had him since he was 8 1/2. He has a little arthritis. We call him Bob Barker, and I'm sure you can figure out why. (LOL) He's a man's dog and worships my husband.

We also have a diva (Morkie) now 8 1/2, who looks at the other two and wonders when they're leaving (it's hilarious). We've had her since she was 8 weeks old. 

Glad to see the shelters less full. We have no plans to adopt right now as three is all I can handle.

Edited by twovetteslater
  • Like 6

We have an Aussie/Malamute mix who will be 2 in August.  He is loving having us all home all the time.  DD got a Betta for her birthday from a friend just before the lock-down started.  She is not sure why the friend got it for her, but DD got it a nice tank and is taking good care of it.

DSC02728.JPG

• Like 6

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, all pre-Covid. 

We will be dog-sitting for a friend for a few weeks but that's due to an out of state cancer treatment, not due to Covid. 

We debated/are considering adding a 3rd dog, should we find just the right one. Dog-sitting will be our trial run for how we feel about that. 

• Like 4

We have our sweet Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, who is four years old. 

I would LOVE to add some finches from a local rescue and put up a shed for some feral cats. (The local TNR group is always looking for barn homes / outside homes for ferals who need to be relocated. We can't have indoor cats due to allergies.) DH says no. Say a prayer that my DD and I will eventually see our wishes granted. If an outdoor cat were to show up, my husband would allow us to care for him or her... 😉 

• Like 5

We have Daisy a 9 year old beagle and 3 free-range hens (Ruby, Pearl, and Goldie.) We also have two little, not fully feathered turkeys with no names yet. Thanksgiving and Christmas? 😬

We're actively looking for a border collie (DS16, our oldest, decided very surely BC over Australian shepherd.) We all can't wait for another dog in our lives.

I'm also looking for Holland lop bunny pets for my youngest two, 7 & 11. It's been really tough finding these locally, even though there should be lots to choose from this time of year.

IMG_20200427_144043134.jpg

IMG_20200427_143400282.jpg

IMG_20200427_143217450_HDR.jpg

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 7

In mid January, we did take in a 10yr old mini dachshund to our herd.  Her owner lost her home and was living in her car.  Her daughter found out and moved her mom in but couldn’t take the dog as she discovered her mom had Alzheimer’s. This sweet pup hasn’t been fed regularly as her owner just didn’t realize days had gone by and hadn’t been to the vet in years.  The pup came into the rescue and bonded right away with DD.  So she lives here with us to spend the rest of her days with food, a choice of warm beds and love.  Since she has been here- she has gained weight and has a lovely coat. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have one outdoor cat, Callie. She’s 7 years old, and we took her mother in before she was born. We lost her mother this past January. 

We hope to move to Ohio in a year or so, and we will need to re-home her. I can’t have a cat inside, and she’s cold natured here in GA. Ohio winters would be too hard on her outside. 

4959038A-4E8F-484D-9205-459B29146882.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

We have two kitties, around a year old and two years old. They are total BFFs. It took Kitty a week or so to get used to all of us being home all the time—she is very routine oriented—but they’ve been loving all the extra attention. They are both total people kitties. 😻

Idk why my photos are always oriented weirdly! 

C4806DCE-F7E9-4EE5-9EF4-3F66A8BD63FC.jpeg

B5EE5CCF-C356-441F-92C1-AF9B86081BD1.jpeg

• Like 11

Two cats and 1 dog. Oh, and 2 chickens but the chickens don't give a hoot about us, lol. 

I would love a few more fur or feather friends to care for, but the current crew gets along really well, so I do not want to rock the boat by adding new-comers. 

• Like 2

We have 3 cats and added a stray mama cat and kittens at the end of February. They are now 8 weeks old and full of spit and fire and sweetness and fun. Honestly, these guys couldn't have come at a better time. They make everything better. Here is Otter taking his late morning nap. 

IMG_2102.jpg

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 13

Three cats, all pre-Covid. Cy (psycho) was adopted from a litter that was rescued. His sibs are just as insane as he is so I think his crazy is genetic. He thinks he's the boss. (Orange cat on the table -- he likes to eat puzzle pieces)

Poe was adopted & was supposed to be dd#3's cat but turned into dd#2's. She's only snuggly at night. During the day, she's a scaredy-cat. But, she makes dd#2's YouTube videos more exciting by providing cameos. ;) (Russian Blue in her cat house)

Savitar is our latest addition. He showed up one night on our doorstep. DH said no to a 3rd cat, but he kept coming back. We had him fixed & microchipped, so he's ours now. He's an indoor/outdoor and the real boss of the place. He & Cy do not get along, so sometimes the fur flies... (black & white curled up in the cat saucer)

20200327_140006.jpg

20200207_123523.jpg

20200320_180408.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, txk said:

No, but REALLY wanted to get another Chihuahua.  I see soo many adorable ones around here and that just makes me want one more.  Yikes!

Chihuahuas are the dog of my heart. ❤️Lots of Chis and Chi mixes in rescues...over 5,000 listed on Petfinder.com right now. Just saying. 😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mom31257 said:

We have one outdoor cat, Callie. She’s 7 years old, and we took her mother in before she was born. We lost her mother this past January. 

We hope to move to Ohio in a year or so, and we will need to re-home her. I can’t have a cat inside, and she’s cold natured here in GA. Ohio winters would be too hard on her outside. 

She is so pretty! Our outdoor cat did fine with our Indiana winter. We built him a chicken wire enclosure inside our garage, with a cat door leading into it. I put a cat house and a nice cushy bed inside the enclosure. That way, he could come in and get warm but not being getting into things or (most importantly) into car engines. 

A friend provides heated cat houses for her outdoor cats on her front porch and they are well and healthy.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

We have Daisy a 9 year old beagle and 3 free-range hens (Ruby, Pearl, and Goldie.) We also have two little, not fully feathered turkeys with no names yet. Thanksgiving and Christmas? 😬

We're actively looking for a border collie (DS16, our oldest, decided very surely BC over Australian shepherd.) We all can't wait for another dog in our lives.

I'm also looking for Holland lop bunny pets for my youngest two, 7 & 11. It's been really tough finding these locally, even though there should be lots to choose from this time of year.

IMG_20200427_144043134.jpg

IMG_20200427_143400282.jpg

IMG_20200427_143217450_HDR.jpg

You’re making me miss my beagle!

Unsolicited advice here, when you look for border collie Id recommend looking for parents with as calm and confident a demeanour as possible.  As in prioritise that over appearance.  Ours has a fair bit of stranger anxiety which has led to a couple of fear aggression incidents.  According to the vet it’s extremely common with the breed.  Others I’ve known don’t have the same fear with people but with other dogs.
also he needs a tonne of exercise to stay calm, not chase chickens and not tear up the yard area.  Other than than smartest most loving loyal dog.  My niece does agility with hers and loves it.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Thanks 1

No Covid pets unless you count the chickens that hatched but we always hatch.  Otherwise we have a dog and a cat, 2 lizards, about 20 budgies, a cockatoo, a conure and about 30 chooks. 1 fish.   So we really don’t need anymore animals.  I have resolutely held out against great science adventures requirement for four goldfish.

• Like 3

We have a cat, Luna, who is 10 years old...or 9 maybe. Three chickens, six fish. All pre-COVID. We have four new chickens on order, which we pick up Saturday. 

I wanted to get a new puppy before SAH went into place; i very much wanted one of the Great Pyrenees mix puppies at a shelter near me (there were ten originally; one was bound to work out) but, basically, dh will not let me. Presumably, if he won’t let me get one before lockdown, he is never going to let me get another dog. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Never had a pet in my life but got a 3 month old Yorkie Bichon mix yesterday. My 12 yo dd has been begging since she could talk to get a pet and she is lonely as she is the baby of the family and her big brothers have moved out or will shortly.

It is really cute and fun so far.

AEC4893D-4188-46D2-A74D-5A428F274025.jpeg

I'm very worried that your puppy doesn't have enough beds. 😉  LOL!

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm very worried that your puppy doesn't have enough beds. 😉  LOL!

It is hilarious the haul this baby came with. There are five beds plus the pink tent. I have never owned a dog but I really wouldn’t have thought of so many beds. We got her from an older couple that only had her two weeks before deciding they couldn’t devote enough attention to her. But they did a lot of shopping!

We have beds everywhere as my dd was trying to figure out what she actually liked. She ultimately slept in the tent. So cute.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We had 2 outdoor cats and one disappeared last year.  We had the opportunity to take a kitty about 3 weeks ago and so we did.  She is going to be an outdoor cat too, but she was so young (3 weeks) when we got her that she is still indoors.  She will have to be supervised for awhile outdoors, but the other cat seems to really like her and our dog does too.  I figured with everyone home it would much easier to raise a kitty with so many people willing to help and so far it's been good.

• Like 1

We have two dogs....a toy fox terrier (almost 15 years old and a little crotchety) and a crazy dachshund/Italian greyhound rescue who loves to watch the anoles who live in my greenhouse and on the deck (dog tv). We applied to foster puppies but waiting to be approved until the stay-at-home order is over so we can get the shots our dogs needed in March. (The vet would only do their rabies vaccines.)

IMG_9589.jpg

IMG_9599.jpg

• Like 9

13 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Where in Ohio? We will be glad to have you!

We have one dog who is about two and becomes more of a goober as the days go by.  His favorite pastimes include stealing socks from the laundry, "de-stuffing" his toys, licking the dishes in dishwasher (eew), and being a total bed hog.  We also have a pet corn snake named Cob. He's normally pretty chill but he wants to find a lady friend so he's been trying to break out lately.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

No Covid pets unless you count the chickens that hatched but we always hatch.  Otherwise we have a dog and a cat, 2 lizards, about 20 budgies, a cockatoo, a conure and about 30 chooks. 1 fish.   So we really don’t need anymore animals.  I have resolutely held out against great science adventures requirement for four goldfish.

Just in case anyone (else) is not up on Australian pets, budgies are parakeets and chooks are chickens. I also had to look up conure, but I assume that only I was unaware of what those are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Just in case anyone (else) is not up on Australian pets, budgies are parakeets and chooks are chickens. I also had to look up conure, but I assume that only I was unaware of what those are.

Sorry I forgot I need an interpreter 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

On 4/28/2020 at 9:25 AM, cintinative said:

Where in Ohio? We will be glad to have you!

Thank you! Based on your name, I'm thinking maybe we'll be heading to your neck of the woods. My dh is from southwest Ohio. 

His dad died 4 years ago, and he would love to live there with his mom as she is aging. His brother lives there, but his wife is disabled and needs more and more care. Dh is a social studies teacher, so we aren't sure he'll be able to find a job. He worked in private schools for many years, so he's not able to retire yet. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

Thank you! Based on your name, I'm thinking maybe we'll be heading to your neck of the woods. My dh is from southwest Ohio. 

His dad died 4 years ago, and he would love to live there with his mom as she is aging. His brother lives there, but his wife is disabled and needs more and more care. Dh is a social studies teacher, so we aren't sure he'll be able to find a job. He worked in private schools for many years, so he's not able to retire yet. 

Praying for you! Yes, we are in Cincinnati (I live in the NE burbs).   

I am sure looking for a job right now would be difficult.  Plus it's unclear as of yet just how much the schools will be affected by the budget cuts that must happen (Ohio has a balanced budget law).  Praying it all goes well! Let me know if you have questions about the area.

• Thanks 1

Image may contain: dog and outdoorImage may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and natureNo photo description available.Image may contain: cat and indoorNo photo description available. We have two Portuguese Water dogs, six or seven cows, three cats (violet the barn cat not pictured) and one sometimes GSD that belongs to son and visits a lot, plus my son's 50 gallon fish tank.  No one new though.

• Like 3

My son has a hamster he has had for a while, and my daughter has six Rhode Island Red pullets that are about six weeks old.  And this is my girl Sunny.  She is ten weeks old today.  Her mother is a Golden Retriever, and we’re pretty sure her father must be a Lab.

58B5CDA5-30F4-4946-BFB6-C7E88BD48461.jpeg

• Like 4

On 4/28/2020 at 6:51 AM, DawnM said:

We added this little guy yesterday.   His name is Finn.

We added a kid too, but you didn't ask about that!  🤣

We also added a kid, a surprise three days after bringing home our puppy!  I wouldn’t have planned it that way, but they needed an emergency placement for our foster daughter’s sister that day.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Your dogs are so cute!  I am curious to see what a dachshund/Italian Greyhound combination looks like standing up.  Did he/she average out and end up with average legs?  

Sorry to be nosy, but I need to live up to my name!

She has more of an Italian greyhound body and legs. Large chest, tiny abdomen, and normal length legs....fast as lightning with the dachshund attitude/stubbornness. She's so vocal...sounds like a horrible dog fight going on when you play with her and she moans and "talks" whenever she's being pet. She's not big, only 15lbs.

IMG_9334.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have three 'fur' babies.

A 12 year old Gecko, a 13 yo Terv, and, our newest addition, a 1 year old tabby. We've had the gecko and the Terv since babyhood. The tabby was brought into the family right before Christmas. His little history was quite sad and he has some physical and psychological trauma to overcome. He has a dynamite personality and talks all of the time; you can literally have a full conversation with this cat. 

Geico.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Rick.jpg

• Like 2

I love all these pet photos. ❤️

We have 2 cats. Our last dog died 4 years ago. We will probably get another dog some time next year.

Crookshanks is our 11 year old cuddly cat. We got her from the local SPCA shelter when she was 4 months old. It looks like she recently decided to work from home. 😂

Cookie is or 4 or maybe 5 year old wild woman. We got her from my cousin, who didn't have the time to give her the attention she needs.

20200425_142956.jpg

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4