Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

BNO updates from overnight

• 19:46: First case in Luxembourg. (Source)
  • 18:33: 27 new cases in France. (Source)
  • 18:05: At least 2 new cases and 1 new death in Washington state, United States. This is the first U.S. death from coronavirus. The number of cases is not yet clear pending a 1 p.m. PT press conference. (Source)
  • 17:35: 239 new cases and 8 new deaths in Italy. (Source)
  • 16:45: 10 new cases in Switzerland. (Source)
  • 16:01: 5 new cases in Iraq. Four of them are in Baghdad and the fifth is in Babil province. (Source)
  • 15:23: 2 new cases in the Netherlands. Wife and daughter of the first case in Loon op Zand near Tilburg. (Source)
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

It mystifies me that Clorox wipes are such a hot item. I know bleach is in short supply in some places, but one bottle of bleach will do a LOT of sanitizing. All you need is a little water, a spray bottle and some rags. All things most of us already have. Mix up a fresh (small) batch every day and you're good. I haven't had much of a list of things to buy due to Covid 19, but if I did . . .  disinfecting wipes wouldn't be on it.

Cleaning personal space at work, in schools, or on the go...it’s better than nothing.

Dh’s work has provided sanitizer and wipes. People are wiping off tables in conference rooms between meetings.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EKS said:

Can someone explain to me why everyone wants hand sanitizer when it is much less effective than old fashioned soap and water?  

I use it after leaving the store. I could wash my hands in the store bathroom, but I still have to touch a zillion things of questionable cleanliness before I get in my car. Store grocery carts gross me out. I look at the little kid seat on them and wonder how many diaper blow outs have happened in that seat. Ick. 

Also, we're getting close to the time of year when tortoises start to cross the roads here. I pick them up and move them across the road so they don't get hit.  Need hand sanitizer for afterwards, (hello, salmonella!). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm in the midwest. We are on the cusp of rural & suburban. I haven't heard too much chatter about the coronavirus while I've been out and about, although most of last week my time out was in doctor's offices. I did mention I was making my grocery run at one doctor's office yesterday, and the doctor complimented me on my stocking up. Oldest's science professor told all the students some items he thought they could stock for super cheap - suggestions were bleach & a spray bottle, tylenol or advil, benedryl, and some cough medicine. 

Here, I saw lots of stocking up yesterday at Aldi; I did grocery pickup at Walmart so didn't get a chance to see inside. DH stopped at Walmart today 2x (once for us, once for his mom). The early morning was slow, but this afternoon was very, very busy. Even for a Saturday at Walmart. He said that the store had all the items, but not fully stocked shelves for hand sanitizer, Advil (he said that was almost gone), vitamins, pet supplies, and toilet paper. There were only a few brands of those instead of the many they usually have.  He said he saw one lady with an entire cart full of diapers (maybe they were having a sale?) and one guy with 1 little bag and 4 things of water bottles. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Is stat news reliable or sensationalist?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/29/new-covid-19-death-raises-concerns-about-virus-spread-in-nursing-homes/

cases in a nursing home doesn’t sound good?

I don't know about the source, but our local news is reporting one employee and one resident from the facility are infected.

• Sad 5

We just went out with kids to push carts and did another stock up as we have been using the supplies and this thread made me concerned about shortages right now.  While we were shopping the local panic level rose because someone believes they have Coronavirus in our area and is hospitalized......that said the tests have not been run.  Things simply escalated to panicked while We were shopped😕

For those looking for hand sanitizer try Staples, that is where we found it.

I am adding a fwiw regarding gloves at gas stations,  in England free gloves are in a box by the gas pumps in normal life .  We are used to it and carry a zip lock of plastic gloves in our car for that purpose when in the US.

I am embarrassed to admit this but I just bought a large bag of rice as my final prep.  My family had to listen to me say people on the board are buying this so many times......followed by we need it....if they still didn’t agree, it was I need it.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Also, we're getting close to the time of year when tortoises start to cross the roads here. I pick them up and move them across the road so they don't get hit.  Need hand sanitizer for afterwards, (hello, salmonella!). 

That's an awesome reason to have it!

And on a slightly humorous note (and please know I mean no disrespect at all to those who've died or are suffering from this) -- The thought keeps running through my mind that if there was some sort of global index of hand cleanliness and/or overall hygiene we'd probably be setting some sky high records right about now. 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Re: Clorox wipes (and others) - they don’t kill on contact. Their time is supposedly around 10 minutes to full effectiveness (?). My unscientific opinion is that they’re still better than nothing.

Re: hand sanitizer - How many times do you touch your face and other objects in between hand washing?

Edited by Carrie12345
Because I’m an idiot
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

Oldest's science professor told all the students some items he thought they could stock for super cheap - suggestions were bleach & a spray bottle, tylenol or advil, benedryl, and some cough medicine. 

.  He said he saw one lady with an entire cart full of diapers (maybe they were having a sale?) and one guy with 1 little bag and 4 things of water bottles. 

Tylenol and Advil were out of stock at a Target I was at this morning. People are buying cough mixture/medicine now. Rubbing alcohol is sold out too.

When I had two under two, an entire cart full of diapers was my norm as we don’t have Amazon Prime membership. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Re: Clorox wipes (and others) - they don’t kill on contact. Their time is supposedly around 10 minutes to full effectiveness (?). 

That's one reason I don't waste money on them. The first few wipes are very moist and probably wet surfaces enough to work, the middle ones maybe kinda sorta are wet enough to work, and the last third or so are dry enough that they're probably worthless other than for friction.

25 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

See, now this I get!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Paige said:

That guy who wrote the "It's not so bad" article annoys me. His anecdote means nothing when we are talking about population level outcomes and it's to be expected that 90% of the people infected won't feel it's too bad.

Also, he has no idea what this virus can and cannot do (as do many researchers and health professionals tackling it). This is a mystery virus which has worked in all the worst ways possible (mutating, spreading when the patient is asymptotic, living on surfaces for more than a day etc etc). When ebola hit, they said that people who recovered would have a lifetime of damages and ill effects to deal with. I am pretty sure that Covid-19 will have a lot of long term implications even for those who recover (including reinfection). Nobody should spread the message around that getting this infection is not bad, because there is no way to tell as of now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We are in Belgium and are quickly being encircled by affected countries. We've only had one case so far. Families will be returning from their weeklong holidays for Carnaval and kids will be returning to school on Monday. From what I hear from friends, companies are trying to decide what to do about corporate travel and considering work from home options. One school in Brussels has cancelled its upcoming ski trip to Italy. I'm a little nervous to see what happens next week, but so far there doesn't seem to be any panic like has been discussed in this thread. 

The European CDC is giving guidance on hand washing, etc. Churches are asking sick people not to come to church tomorrow. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

He said he saw one lady with an entire cart full of diapers (maybe they were having a sale?)

That reminded me of when my kids were little.  I used to regularly shop at BabyrUs when diapers were on sale; every part of my minivan was packed with diaper boxes on the way home.  I had triplets 🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

@Renai

I have pulmonary issues since birth. Royal Jelly is another thing to avoid for asthmatics 

“While using royal jelly is likely safe for most people, serious adverse reactions have occasionally been reported. These include (2Trusted Source):

Asthma

Anaphylaxis

Contact dermatitis

Some of these extreme reactions could even be fatal.” https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/royal-jelly#section14

I used cordyceps for improving my lungs. https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-602/cordyceps

• Like 3

Not having much luck with Google, so asking here...

Is there suspected community spread in Munich, Germany?  I read something that made me think possibly there was a few days ago, and now can’t find it. DH is flying to a conference there In a week.  I have this nagging fear that he will get caught there in a quarantine, and be delayed coming home (where we also have potential cases, of course, I’d just rather have him on this side of the ocean).

Any Munich info would be appreciated.  (Though I realize it may not help my personal anxiety, ouch!  Traveling isn’t optional for him, so if he has to go - it’s not like he can reschedule.  Ugh.)

28 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Not having much luck with Google, so asking here...

Is there suspected community spread in Munich, Germany?  I read something that made me think possibly there was a few days ago, and now can’t find it. DH is flying to a conference there In a week.  I have this nagging fear that he will get caught there in a quarantine, and be delayed coming home (where we also have potential cases, of course, I’d just rather have him on this side of the ocean).

Any Munich info would be appreciated.  (Though I realize it may not help my personal anxiety, ouch!  Traveling isn’t optional for him, so if he has to go - it’s not like he can reschedule.  Ugh.)

I think it is mostly in a completely different area of Germany- far from Munich.  https://berlinspectator.com/2020/02/29/germany-now-more-than-50-coronavirus-cases-1

This is a article from 2 hours ago and doesn't mention any cities near Munich.  But there are panics going on- a friend who does live in the affected areas went to Aldi's and the pasta section was completely sold out.

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

My son works for a company that doesn't give sick days so employees (including my son) frequently come in sick so they don't have to use up their vacation days.  I hope they change their policy.  There are over 1000 people working there.  

Do they not give what is called leave days?  I think that all the companies my family works for now do that-  leave days that can be used for vacation, sickness or personal/family issues.  What at least 3 out of 4 of the companies do then is also have short term disability pay that goes in affect after you are sick a certain number of days- I think my dh's is on the fifth day.  Again out of the 3 of 4 companies (I am much less familiar with dsil's company policies than I am with my 2 dd;s and my dh's), they all have flex time and 2 of them (both dd's) can easily work at home.  My dh can usually only work at home very little though lately he has been doing more company work versus contractor work so that can partially be done at home too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Do they not give what is called leave days?  

He said they have to use vacation days.  He was sick with the flu last week and was able to work from home one day, but went in other days and just took fever reducer to get through the day.  He said he sat at his desk all day due to muscle aches and felt very selfish for going in.  😞

Now that I think about it, I don't think DH's company has sick days either.  He works from home so he's always been able to work when sick, but people who live near the office probably don't have that option (he's out of state). 

6 minutes ago, Kassia said:

He said they have to use vacation days.  He was sick with the flu last week and was able to work from home one day, but went in other days and just took fever reducer to get through the day.  He said he sat at his desk all day due to muscle aches and felt very selfish for going in.  😞

Now that I think about it, I don't think DH's company has sick days either.  He works from home so he's always been able to work when sick, but people who live near the office probably don't have that option (he's out of state). 

See I think many or most companies have taken to just giving leave days==not vacation, not sick, not anything.  Use it for what you want.  I know that all of my family members with that arrangement generally reserve leave days so that they can stay home. 

• Like 1

I'm going to add this here, for those looking for teas. This is a recipe I shared w/ my family. You really need to use FRESH ginger. According to Stephen H. Buhner in Herbal Antivirals, fresh ginger has much stronger antiviral properties than dried.

All of these are kitchen herbs and are commonly used in cooking.

Ginger Tea

• 1 quart water
  • ¼ cup chopped or grated FRESH ginger (no need to peel)
  • 1 Tbsp of dried thyme, oregano, sage or rosemary** (optional)
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper* (optional)
  • 2 Tbsp raw honey or to taste
  • Juice from one lemon or lime

Bring water to boil. Remove from heat and add ginger and other herb(s). Cover and steep for 20 minutes to 1 hr. Strain into quart jar. Add honey and lemon or lime juice and shake or stir to combine well. Keep sealed to retain the aromatic oils. Drink the whole quart throughout the day. You can use a warming burner to keep warm or microwave a cup at a time.

**These are very good herbs for respiratory issues including sore throats and coughs. Kitchen herbs are fine! Double or triple the amount if using fresh herbs. You can also use any combination of these.
*Cayenne pepper increases circulation and helps to move this through the body, but if it’s too strong then feel free to omit it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

My Facebook feed was filled with posts today saying the coronavirus hype is all just a plot by the media to get attention. I'm of the opinion we shouldn't panic but we should prepare. After reading all those posts I came upon one by the local university that said they are shutting down the Italy program and all students would be returning to the US, a reversal of their decision from just a few days ago.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

@mathnerd

abc7news (ETA: https://abc7news.com/health/santa-clara-county-health-department-confirms-its-4th-case-of-novel-coronavirus/5976313/)

“The 4th case of COVID-19 was confirmed in Santa Clara County. The health department says the woman was not "not hospitalized or ill."” 
ETA:

Its a headline typo 

press release by the county https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/news/Pages/fourth-case-novel-coronavirus-2-29-2020.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0b-A72BdYvU7ctFACn5zJ1P1vgabVXBMfFnawSDCZabCInIEnnectCB6c

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I have a friend who has worked in global infectious disease control for YEARS.  He's helped with the Ebola virus in Africa, and so on.  He is on the side of "everyone please calm down--and don't be stupid."  From what I have read, the virus affects people in varying degrees of illness--and so it is the health-vulnerable that have to be most careful.  

My friend pointed out that in the same timeframe, 30,000 Americans have died of the flu; 3,000 worldwide have died from CoronaV.  BUT he also notes that there is a lot of likelihood that there is information suppression and so we may not actually have the true numbers yet.  It is hard to know who or what to believe, and really, what we can do is to take the best steps we know now.  :0/

I still have the box of N95 masks that I bought during the H1N1 pandemic back in 2009.   I'm pretty sure I bought them because of all the talk here on the boards.  And I think I started buying elderberry syrup at the same time.  

I'm sure people would call me a germaphobe, but really I'm just routinely doing the things that the CDC is recommending to everyone right now.  It's too bad that we even need reminders for simple practices like handwashing!

May we all remain in good health during this pandemic and the ones to follow, with only our wallets being affected!!!

• Like 7

Yes, I'm sure the people who have reasons to be worried are the most worried. People's perspectives are going to be based a lot on what stage of life they are in and how vulnerable their loved ones are. If I were young, completely healthy, and in college, I'm sure my mindset would be very different than it is now. As previously posted, my early 40s DH is high-risk. His job requires a lot of local traveling, so that puts him at an even higher risk. We aren't looking for him to be a statistic of something that will likely be able to be at least somewhat controlled months down the road. At least with the flu, he can get an immunization to help protect him. There's virtually nothing to protect anyone right now. People need to develop compassion for those who are vulnerable. Most aren't done living their lives yet. They're not sitting around waiting to die. They're functioning members of families and society.

I convinced my mom to stock up on a few things. She went to our small local Walmart to do so yesterday. The store was packed but she was the only one she saw who had anything much in her cart. She ran into several people she knew. They all made fun of her for stocking up and proceeded to slather her with hugs and kisses. She's high risk too (stage 4 cancer, among other things) and they all know it. She came home and took a shower. We live in the Midwest.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Yes, I'm hoping to have a lot of extra nonperishable foods to donate this or next fall. I'm okay with that if it means the virus passes us all by.

5 minutes ago, Laurie said:

I still have the box of N95 masks that I bought during the H1N1 pandemic back in 2009.   I'm pretty sure I bought them because of all the talk here on the boards.  And I think I started buying elderberry syrup at the same time.  

I'm sure people would call me a germaphobe, but really I'm just routinely doing the things that the CDC is recommending to everyone right now.  It's too bad that we even need reminders for simple practices like handwashing!

May we all remain in good health during this pandemic and the ones to follow, with only our wallets being affected!!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

Yes, I'm hoping to have a lot of extra nonperishable foods to donate this or next fall. I'm okay with that if it means the virus passes us all by.

This is a beautiful sentiment, and I will pray for all of us that it holds true. ❤️

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

Double post.

Edited by SeaConquest

Washington state has declared a state of emergency.

- it has been brought into a nursing home near evergreen (where the man died), 

- six patients locally have received a preliminary diagnosis (which must be confirmed by the CDCP).  - this includes the man who died, the woman who returned from south korea, and the high school student. (no known risk factors - they dont' know where he got it from.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

Yes, I'm sure the people who have reasons to be worried are the most worried. People's perspectives are going to be based a lot on what stage of life they are in and how vulnerable their loved ones are. If I were young, completely healthy, and in college, I'm sure my mindset would be very different than it is now. As previously posted, my early 40s DH is high-risk. His job requires a lot of local traveling, so that puts him at an even higher risk. We aren't looking for him to be a statistic of something that will likely be able to be at least somewhat controlled months down the road. At least with the flu, he can get an immunization to help protect him. There's virtually nothing to protect anyone right now. People need to develop compassion for those who are vulnerable. Most aren't done living their lives yet. They're not sitting around waiting to die. They're functioning members of families and society.

I convinced my mom to stock up on a few things. She went to our small local Walmart to do so yesterday. The store was packed but she was the only one she saw who had anything much in her cart. She ran into several people she knew. They all made fun of her for stocking up and proceeded to slather her with hugs and kisses. She's high risk too (stage 4 cancer, among other things) and they all know it. She came home and took a shower. We live in the Midwest.

I'd like to think that the thoughtless types of people will clean up their acts as a result of this virus being in the news and all the recommendations being given about good hygiene and sickness etiquette.   And maybe they would keep it up after it's no longer in the news. There are always going to be vulnerable people who would benefit from this kind of careful/compassionate behavior from others.     

According to what I've heard in the local news and at today's news conference about the first death in our area, at least the airport and buses are being cleaned more thoroughly.   

I hope your husband has safe and healthy travels!!!

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Not only reminders, but lessons in how.  Though of course doctors get taught how to do it properly afaik.  It isn’t something we are born knowing. 

45 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Yes!

I am afraid of getting sick enough to need hospital, and then surviving, but in a financial crisis.  

I already had health issues cause a past financial crisis.  In USA that’s a common problem.

And it may affect virus spread too, if people are afraid to seek care. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

My family is based in Seattle and Tacoma. My parents, aunts and uncles are over 60, most over 70, in various stages of health or decline. My mom's best friend was recently diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. My dad is already on borrowed time as far as lung function. He also lives about 90 minutes from March AFB. It annoys me to no end when people say 'calm down', 'it's not that bad', when there are very important reasons for me to warn MY friends and MY family to prep. My daughter's friend is now barred from school because of exposure in the middle east for Pete's sake. So, yeah, not everyone discussing the issue is 'panicking'.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

Perhaps the virus will change people's perspectives on the type of government systems we need here in the United States -- from paid sick time to our healthcare system. Or, it could make people even more individualistic and focused on self-reliance. Who knows? 

ETA: I meant to quote Pen: "I am afraid of getting sick enough to need hospital, and then surviving, but in a financial crisis."  

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

That's one reason I don't waste money on them. The first few wipes are very moist and probably wet surfaces enough to work, the middle ones maybe kinda sorta are wet enough to work, and the last third or so are dry enough that they're probably worthless other than for friction.

I usually find the last ones are dripping wet and there's a ton of liquid left in the bottom of the container.

Thanks to the science center, I have a lot of alcohol, hydrogen peroxide (but the 30 stuff), gloves, earloop face masks, cleaning supplies.   

Dh did some stocking up Friday and we're going to BJs tomorrow.  We're not really planning for quarantine, more for supply disruptions.  Dh is 63 but very healthy.  I'm 50 but have asthma and allergies.  Our kids don't have any chronic health conditions.

• Like 3

@Ausmumof3 @StellaM
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-australia-covid-19-death-perth-12487378

“SYDNEY: A 78-year-old man evacuated from the coronavirus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise liner in Japan died in a Perth hospital on Sunday (Mar 1), becoming Australia's first fatality from the disease, officials said.

The man died in the early hours of Sunday morning, a spokeswoman for the Western Australian state health department told AFP”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

My family is based in Seattle and Tacoma. My parents, aunts and uncles are over 60, most over 70, in various stages of health or decline. My mom's best friend was recently diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. My dad is already on borrowed time as far as lung function. He also lives about 90 minutes from March AFB. It annoys me to no end when people say 'calm down', 'it's not that bad', when there are very important reasons for me to warn MY friends and MY family to prep. My daughter's friend is now barred from school because of exposure in the middle east for Pete's sake. So, yeah, not everyone discussing the issue is 'panicking'.

It seems to me that a bunch of discussion (rational discussion) not only isn’t “panicking”; it could help to stop what to me does seem like panicking, such as the Ukrainians who attacked the busses with people who were being sent home from cruise ship. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

It seems to me that a bunch of discussion (rational discussion) not only isn’t “panicking”; it could help to stop what to me does seem like panicking, such as the Ukrainians who attacked the busses with people who were being sent home from cruise ship. 

There are people who really cannot handle anything but happy talk.

• Like 9