Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

14 minutes ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

I have read this entire thread with interest. We're in Texas and I have not heard one person concerned about the virus, but the stores are out of bottled water and hand sanitizer. My family has had a rough winter, illness-wise and are currently down with yet another cold, so I did actually buy some Emergen-C, Elderberries to make syrup, and I ordered extra of the vitamin D3 that my daughter takes for sports injury-related issues. Partly in case I want to raise the rest of our levels, and partly to last us if it gets bought up. I was on the verge of doing some immune boosting stuff anyway, but the CO-VID puts me over the top. 

The hard part is that my childen are chronic hand-in-mouthers and nothing I say ever, ever gets them to stop. 😞 If this is circulating in force when we have to travel to Colorado at the end of April, I'm making them wear (probably homemade) masks in the airport, just to keep them from getting all the nasty airport germs on their faces. I feel like we're just doomed. My kid is on a gymnastics team and 4 days a week she spends hours in close proximity to dozens of other girls, on equipment that really can't be frequently sanatized without being damaged. 

And mittens?  Or would it be too hot?   Re airport / airplane that is

Edited by Pen

second man has died, also at evergreen hospital.  he was in the nursing home that got infected. (five now confirmed, another 49 undergoing testing - *with* symptoms - and two dozen medics/fireman from one station are in quarantine).

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

I have read this entire thread with interest. We're in Texas and I have not heard one person concerned about the virus, but the stores are out of bottled water and hand sanitizer. My family has had a rough winter, illness-wise and are currently down with yet another cold, so I did actually buy some Emergen-C, Elderberries to make syrup, and I ordered extra of the vitamin D3 that my daughter takes for sports injury-related issues. Partly in case I want to raise the rest of our levels, and partly to last us if it gets bought up. I was on the verge of doing some immune boosting stuff anyway, but the CO-VID puts me over the top. 

The hard part is that my childen are chronic hand-in-mouthers and nothing I say ever, ever gets them to stop. 😞 If this is circulating in force when we have to travel to Colorado at the end of April, I'm making them wear (probably homemade) masks in the airport, just to keep them from getting all the nasty airport germs on their faces. I feel like we're just doomed. My kid is on a gymnastics team and 4 days a week she spends hours in close proximity to dozens of other girls, on equipment that really can't be frequently sanatized without being damaged. 

I have finally hit a solution with my 10 year old.  I tell her to keep her hands in her pockets.  Maybe not that socially acceptable but it works!

• Like 1

I think we'll be fine with the masks. I'll make them wash or sanitize hands before they take them off.  Thankfully none of us have underlying health issues, so if we get it we will hopefully be OK. Mine have too short of attention spans to keep hands anywhere in specific. 😅

We're in Houston which has not only a large ex-pat population, but also tons of business travel. I suspect as soon as the testing starts in ernest, we will find it's already here. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

From BNO Florida Governor Ron DeSantis reports 2 cases of coronavirus, declares public health emergency

https://mobile.twitter.com/HealthyFla/status/1234307914438889473

The Manatee Co patient would be the one at the Sarasota Hospital. Thanks for the confirmation. ETA: Hillsborough is Tampa. Dang. Those are close to each other. Interesting.

Edited by popmom

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

My credit card is still smoking for all the stocking up.   I am not quite sure if we really need to or not.  

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Me too re: the credit card!!  Next bill should be fun 😁.  We should use everything at some point also.

My condo complex has close to 300 units. The two nearest rental complexes has over 400 and over 1000 units respectively. My neighborhood Safeway and nearest Costco or Walmart or Target won’t be able to cope if my neighborhood has to stock up for quarantine.

• Sad 1

Long Chen, Jing Xiong, Lei Bao, Yuan Shi
The Lancet Infectious Diseases
Published: February 27, 2020
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aura said:

Just curious, do y'all think we'll actually see quarantines? I'm honestly a bit skeptical that we will. At this point, I think we may have lost our window for containment, and we're going to go straight into mitigation.

I'm not even sure what mitigation might look like, besides closing schools. 

Honestly, no, I don't think the US will see quarantines like in China or what's happening in Italy. I could see the government ordering the closing of schools, libraries, all non-essential government buildings, etc to force social distancing, but not like in Italy where no one's allowed in or out of certain areas. I think it would lead to too much civil unrest and fear to basically lock-down a city or town for 2+ weeks.    

IMO, if the virus has already been in the US since mid January, then the horse is out of the barn. 

• Like 4

I don't know if this will make anyone feel better, but hand sanitizer is probably being bought up because people are trying to flip it for profit on eBay.  There are a lot of new listings on eBay for hand sanitizer at crazy high prices, ($25 for a 30oz bottle that would have cost $4 or $5 yesterday).  Some of the shortages being seen may be due to opportunists.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Pen said:

Seriously.  This virus is going to highlight the vast inequality in medical care, both within countries and around the world.  There are good reasons to want everyone to have decent healthcare.  It makes all of us healthier. 

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Honestly, no, I don't think the US will see quarantines like in China or what's happening in Italy. I could see the government ordering the closing of schools, libraries, all non-essential government buildings, etc to force social distancing, but not like in Italy where no one's allowed in or out of certain areas. I think it would lead to too much civil unrest and fear to basically lock-down a city or town for 2+ weeks.    

IMO, if the virus has already been in the US since mid January, then the horse is out of the barn. 

we have had multiple school closures locally - with districts that haven't, planning on what to do if they have cases within the schools within the district.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I don't know if this will make anyone feel better, but hand sanitizer is probably being bought up because people are trying to flip it for profit on eBay.  There are a lot of new listings on eBay for hand sanitizer at crazy high prices, ($25 for a 30oz bottle that would have cost $4 or $5 yesterday).  Some of the shortages being seen may be due to opportunists.  

There was a guy at my local costco who grabbed every single bottle of isopropyl alcohol on the shelves and gleefully mentioning to those who were looking for it that he started north of us in the morning and is moving from costco to costco amassing all the isopropyl alcohol that he could get so that he could flip them to people who cannot wait for it to be in stock again (e.g. daycare centers, sports teams etc). Opportunists are doing this everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 12

1 minute ago, mathnerd said:

There was a guy at my local costco who grabbed every single bottle of isopropyl alcohol on the shelves and gleefully mentioning to those who were looking for it that he started north of us in the morning and is moving from costco to costco amassing all the isopropyl alcohol that he could get so that he could flip them to people who cannot wait for it to be in stock again (e.g. daycare centers, sports teams etc). Opportunists are doing this everywhere.

Call your state attorney general. It's illegal.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mathnerd said:

That guy is a jerk. I hope he loses a ton of money on that. Shame on him. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

It doesn’t make me feel better, and I hope no one buys it from them. 

• Like 2

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/coronavirus-indonesia-confirms-first-cases-covid-19-12490574

“JAKARTA: Indonesian President Joko Widodo said on Monday (Mar 2) two Indonesians had tested positive for coronavirus, marking the first confirmed cases in the world's fourth most populous country.

The two had been hospitalised, Widodo told reporters at the presidential palace in Jakarta. He did not specify where the patients were being treated.”

• Like 1

Y'all, does anyone else feel like...idk...we're spoiled? For example the mortality rate for diphtheria: "The overall case-fatality rate for diphtheria is 5%–10%, with higher death rates (up to 20%) among persons younger than 5 and older than 40 years of age. Before there was treatment for diphtheria, the disease was fatal in up to half of cases."

And polio: "Overall, 5 to 10 percent of patients with paralytic polio die due to the paralysis of muscles used for breathing. The case fatality rate (CFR) varies by age: 2 to 5 percent of children and up to 15 to 30 percent of adults die."

I mean, I'm not trying to minimize the threat of COVID-19, but maybe just give some perspective. That less than 3 generations ago, there were all these threats that everyone just lived with. No stocking up. No panic. Just life. And death. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Seasider too said:

I hope he gets charged with price gouging. Iirc that’s a federal crime. 

He definitely should be reported and charged! And I hope found guilty.  If he offers isopropyl on eBay, then price and how to find him should be fairly cut and dry.  Whoever saw this, call state attorney general office

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, popmom said:

Y'all, does anyone else feel like...idk...we're spoiled? For example the mortality rate for diphtheria: "The overall case-fatality rate for diphtheria is 5%–10%, with higher death rates (up to 20%) among persons younger than 5 and older than 40 years of age. Before there was treatment for diphtheria, the disease was fatal in up to half of cases."

And polio: "Overall, 5 to 10 percent of patients with paralytic polio die due to the paralysis of muscles used for breathing. The case fatality rate (CFR) varies by age: 2 to 5 percent of children and up to 15 to 30 percent of adults die."

I mean, I'm not trying to minimize the threat of COVID-19, but maybe just give some perspective. That less than 3 generations ago, there were all these threats that everyone just lived with. No stocking up. No panic. Just life. And death. 

People who could afford to stock up and had the space certainly did so.  Root cellars. Silos.  Stores of smoked meat and cheeses put up for the winter.  For examples.  Native Americans of my region smoked meats and fish and made pemmican afaik.   Etc.  

Ancient civilizations learned to store up grains. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Well now that I think about it, I think there has to be an official state of emergency declared for price gouging to be illegal. Maybe someone else can clarify. ETA: I double checked. In my state there must be a state of emergency declared before this can be enforced. Oh, well. I hope nobody buys his wares.

Edited by popmom

we were going to go out to dinner this week with dh's nephew and wife.   nephew has expressed concern about going out, and wanting to postpone.

the irony . . . . 

he and his wife were IN CHINA (western province) visiting her family in January when this broke.  while they did come home earlier than planned (hey - you should have gone and visited your grandfather for his 102nd!!!! birthday!!! - (he still works on his farm btw),  they were making posts as if they didn't think it was a huge deal.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

He definitely should be reported and charged! And I hope found guilty.  If he offers isopropyl on eBay, then price and how to find him should be fairly cut and dry.  Whoever saw this, call state attorney general office

report it to ebay or whomever.

ebay and amazon have been removing lots of postings for price gouging items.  but they can't remove what they don't know about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, popmom said:

Well now that I think about it, I think there has to be an official state of emergency declared for price gouging to be illegal. Maybe someone else can clarify. ETA: I double checked. In my state there must be a state of emergency declared before this can be enforced. Oh, well. I hope nobody buys his wares.

Washington has one.

I believe Florida it has also been declared.

not sure what other states are now in a state of emergency.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, popmom said:

Well now that I think about it, I think there has to be an official state of emergency declared for price gouging to be illegal. Maybe someone else can clarify.

Where was it? In Washington state it has been gone after without State of Emerdeclaration — and that could probably be used elsewhere in 9th District Court of Appeals jurisdictions.

California has a statute related to State of Emdrgenvy, but it may not preclude going after price gouging when situation is clearly an emergency and follows WHO Declaration of global Health Emergency, and some Counties declaring state of emergency.  

14 minutes ago, popmom said:

16 minutes ago, Pen said:

19 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

28 minutes ago, popmom said:

30 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

California has not declared state of emergency. Santa Clara county has declared local health emergency on Feb 3rd and extended by 30 days on Feb 10th.
https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/pricegougingduringdisasters#2C

Is price gouging illegal in California?

Yes, in certain circumstances. California’s anti-price gouging statute, Penal Code Section 396, prohibits raising the price of many consumer goods and services by more than 10% after an emergency has been declared.

Local laws may also contain their own prohibitions on price gouging.

When does California’s anti-price gouging statute apply?

The statute applies immediately after the President of the United States, the Governor of California, or city or county executive officer declares a state of emergency.

What goods and services are covered by the statute?

The statute applies to the following major necessities: lodging (including permanent or temporary rental housing, hotels, motels, and mobilehomes); food and drink (including food and drink for animals); emergency supplies such as water, flashlights, radios, batteries, candles, blankets, soaps, diapers, temporary shelters, tape, toiletries, plywood, nails, and hammers; and medical supplies such as prescription and nonprescription medications, bandages, gauze, isopropyl alcohol, and antibacterial products.

It also applies to other goods and services including: home heating oil; building materials, including lumber, construction tools, and windows; transportation; freight; storage services; gasoline and other motor fuels; and repair and reconstruction services.’’

• Like 3

California: I believe this is still in effect till April, 2020.   Statewide. And does not specify any restriction as to the situation having to directly relate to fire.   I at least think it is worth contacting the attorney general office at the numbers below if this was in California.  Or if in Washington State call Washington Attorney Heneral office.  The worst that would happen probably is that they would say, no, buying up supplies   And reselling at huge mark up on eBay after CDC has urged preparation for 2 weeks is totally fine.   But it is very possible that what is needed to take action is in place already. 

ETA: I certainly don’t think a jury would tend to be sympathetic to such a guy.

State of California, website, Quote: 

Attorney General Becerra Issues Statewide Consumer Alert on Price Gouging Following State of Emergency Declaration 

1. Press Release
  3. Attorney General Becerra Issues Statewide Consumer Alert on 
Sunday, October 27, 2019

SACRAMENTO – California Attorney General Xavier Becerra today issued a consumer alert following the Governor’s declaration of a state of emergency in effect statewide due to the Kincade and Tick fires. Attorney General Becerra reminds all Californians that price gouging during a state of emergency is illegal under Penal Code Section 396.

“Families in California are in the midst of dealing with devastating wildfires. They shouldn’t have to worry about whether they’re being illegally cheated out of fair prices,” said Attorney General Becerra. “Our state’s price gouging law protects people impacted by an emergency from illegal price gouging on housing, gas, food, and other essential supplies. I encourage anyone who has been the victim of price gouging, or who has information regarding potential price gouging, to immediately file a complaint through my Office’s website or call (800) 952-5225, or to contact their local police department or sheriff’s office.” 

California law generally prohibits charging a price that exceeds, by more than 10 percent, the price of an item before a state or local declaration of emergency. This law applies to those who sell food, emergency supplies, medical supplies, building materials, and gasoline. The law also applies to repair or reconstruction services, emergency cleanup services, transportation, freight and storage services, hotel accommodations, and rental housing. Exceptions to this prohibition exist if, for example, the price of labor, goods, or materials has increased for the business.

Violators of the price gouging statute are subject to criminal prosecution that can result in a one-year imprisonment in county jail and/or a fine of up to $10,000. Violators are also subject to civil enforcement actions including civil penalties of up to $5,000 per violation, injunctive relief, and mandatory restitution. The Attorney General and local district attorneys can enforce the statute.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

I was out of town for a few days and finally got caught up on this thread. I learn much more here than with my online news app--thanks. Just a few comments:

1) I was traveling from OR to Santa Clara County, CA. Catching up on news Friday evening, I learned both locations announced their first cases with unknown origin. We had a great trip (catching up with my college kid), and this news just made me feel like it didn't really matter where I was; Covid-19 is probably there. I'm glad we got this trip in before there were too many cases out there.

2) I did a stock-up grocery run last weekend for items I just didn't have in the house, plus toilet paper which I did have, but it was on sale so I fully stocked up. I got bleach, clorox wipes (on sale even), hand sanitizer, and ear shields for our thermometer (we had been down to 2 or 3, but no one has been sick this winter so I hadn't bought more). Then Thursday I did a huge food run, all stuff we normally eat, just filling up our shelves. I want more cat litter and the next bag of dog food, but we have several weeks' supply right now. When I got home from my trip, dh told me he tried to get clorox wipes after church but the shelves were empty. And I told him I already got them last weekend.

3) As I was stocking up Thursday, I remembered that I am privileged to be able to spend twice my usual amount near the end of the month. Around here, there are a lot of people who can't shop at the end of the month, waiting until they get their monthly check on the 1st. And that could be another contributing factor to the craziness this weekend. Even without corona virus going on the grocery store is always crazy on the first.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, popmom said:

There definitely was panic and worry about polio. My grandparents talked about the enormous relief they felt when the polio vaccine came out, because they no longer had to worry about their kids possibly contracting it and becoming paralyzed, spending their life in an iron lung, or dying. Polio outbreaks happened during the summer, and anyone that had the means would get out of the city for elbow room and fresh air to avoid the disease.  During an outbreak, people were quarantined and had a sign put on their house to alert people.  Francis Ford Copolla was quarantined for a year (!!!) because he caught polio.  Mia Farrow, Alan Alda, and Neil Young also had polio as kids and spent months recovering. 

I do agree that we are spoiled.  Most of us have never had to face something like that.  If you've never seen how very, very bad a contagious illness can be, then it's easy to dismiss today's situation as a lot of hysteria and media hype. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, popmom said:

A few angry customers asked to speak to the store employee who said that they did not limit how many items a customer could buy for the isopropyl alcohol and hence he could not restrict this person from grabbing all the stuff. He also reassured the customers that they would be restocking the items tomorrow morning and that there would be no price gouging possible because the item would be plentiful in the free market. I really hope that this guy is unable to sell all his hoard and then he brings it back to return at costco and they refuse to take it back because he tried to fleece people during a bad time. I bet costco would get great publicity if they were to do that.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

A few angry customers asked to speak to the store employee who said that they did not limit how many items a customer could buy for the isopropyl alcohol and hence he could not restrict this person from grabbing all the stuff. He also reassured the customers that they would be restocking the items tomorrow morning and that there would be no price gouging possible because the item would be plentiful in the free market. I really hope that this guy is unable to sell all his hoard and then he brings it back to return at costco and they refuse to take it back because he tried to fleece people during a bad time. I bet costco would get great publicity if they were to do that.

There may be people for whom going back “tomorrow  morning” may be a hardship.  Unable to miss work, or non driver seniors who have to hire transportation, for example.  Perhaps people who live outside city and need to drive a long way to shop.  

Does your area have a 311 line?

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Global Times:

The #HongKong International Airport suspended its road traffic and shuttle service between the airport and the mainland due to the #COVID19 epidemic. Only a few ports will remain functional, offering limited service.

I’ve seen this elsewhere on Twitter - basically a soft border shut down.  It seems odd if the number of cases in mainland China outside Hubei is actually as low as reported the last few days (just three or four cases). But there might be something political or something else I’m missing.

• Like 1

I’ve felt that this was going to be at least *kind of a big deal the whole time, but actually hearing about Florida has made me a little emotional.  My son is there, interacting with the public every day. He lives with his other parent, who isn’t big on emergency prep. They almost rode out the hurricane a couple of blocks from the beach. The control freak in me is not happy.

*This is not me panicking!* This is me feeling very uncomfortable.

• Sad 9

22 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’ve felt that this was going to be at least *kind of a big deal the whole time, but actually hearing about Florida has made me a little emotional.  My son is there, interacting with the public every day. He lives with his other parent, who isn’t big on emergency prep. They almost rode out the hurricane a couple of blocks from the beach. The control freak in me is not happy.

*This is not me panicking!* This is me feeling very uncomfortable.

I’m not sure how old your son is but does it help to remember that the risk level for anyone under 40 is really low as far as we know?  

• Like 3