Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

In many parts of the US, the water is unpalatable. Some get by using filters, but many simply buy flats of water. In TX especially many families had water delivery service or bought 2-3 flats a week.

yeah, we filter because the tap water tastes disgusting. Buying bottled water creates so much plastic waste

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, regentrude said:

why buy water? Are they expecting contamination of tap water??

Homes with wells don't have water if electric service is interrupted. (Most of my state fits this category.)

(Edited: The "regular" plan is a gallon of water per person per day. Or the ability to treat / filter / collect that equivalent.)

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 1

Just now, regentrude said:

But if a chemical contamination like this is the case, what good does a gallon per person do if you are in quarantine for several weeks? 

To get by while you order more from Safeway home delivery or Costco or Target home delivery. Or a friend not in quarantine do a grocery run for you. 

13 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I don’t think so.  It can survive in tap water and has been found in urine so I guess it’s a possibility but probably more a general prep thing.  We always have bottled water here because we’re on tank water and during the fire we had we had fire retardant on the roof meaning water wasn’t drinkable.  We do have dam water so in a worst case scenario we can boil it.

that said we only have a five day supply on hand.

Edited by Ausmumof3

I did an inventory of what we had and did not have and went to the grocery store.  I couldn't find rubbing alcohol, but I want to go to the pharmacy anyways because my hand cream of choice isn't at the grocery anyway.  Also want to make a trip to the co-op, where they have bulk lentils and random things like shelf stable nut milks.  I'm trying to decide if we need probiotics.  They're pretty expensive, and I don't feel any different when I take them versus when I don't take them.  We actually are pretty good on OTC meds except for sudafed from behind the counter.  Need to get some of that.  

We can't do tinned tuna/ salmon/ sardines, because I have a kid who is anaphylaxis allergic to fish.  We've got a bunch of canned and dried beans, peanut butter, and frozen meats.   

We have a milk man who actually can deliver a pretty wide selection of groceries.  I'm hoping we can order from him even if we get shut down, but that's certainly not a guarantee.  

• Like 1

FWIW--A veterinarian on another board I belong to advises being careful around pets if you believe you've contracted Covid 19. Despite the one report of a potential weak positive test of a dog, he says based on what is currently known dogs and cats cannot catch the virus themselves. However, he says that if an infected person sneezes or coughs near a pet and the droplets fall onto the pet, someone else who came along and touched the pet could then become infected.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

@Pen in case she miss your post

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/health/gov-brown-announces-oregon-coronavirus-response-team/283-114959bf-865f-45fe-91cc-0442b0b55c96

“PORTLAND, Ore. — Oregon Governor Kate Brown on Friday announced the formation of a statewide coronavirus response team. The team is tasked with coordinating both state and local health agencies as they prepare for the coronavirus, also known as COVID-19.

In a press release sent Friday morning, the governor stressed that there are currently no cases of coronavirus in Oregon and the risk of Oregonians getting the virus remains low.

“The purpose of the coronavirus response team is to ensure we are taking every precaution necessary, in coordination with local health authorities, hospitals, community health partners, and school districts, to make sure that Oregon is fully prepared to respond to any outbreaks of the coronavirus and that Oregonians know how they can keep their families safe,” Brown said.

... Starting next week, the OHA will begin sharing weekly updates on the number of people being monitored and investigated for possible coronavirus.

Gov. Brown stressed that public awareness and good hygiene are the keys to preventing the coronavirus from spreading.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ordered some shelf stable food from a warehouse club. I'm not expecting power outages necessitating that food be shelf stable but I've had compiling an emergency stash of food/supplies on my list of things to do for a while. We do have some water already, and we have a water source nearby and a family purification/life straw type thing, so I'm not worried about that, but I think a lot of people are finally being motivated to get off their butts and prepare for emergencies in general- not just for this possible pandemic. I'm going to keep my new stash out of the kitchen so hopefully people won't eat it before it's needed.

That video of the dad coughing with the little girl? Not reassuring! I was wondering how many people were in the room getting the video and where they went next. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

BBC published a report claiming that 210 people have died in Iran which Iran claims is totally false and death toll is 34.  

and during their press conference, their health minister was sweating profusely (with some suggesting he has it.).  and the female minister who was also the spokeswoman for the students who seized the US embassy in 79  - has it.

• Like 1

Just now, gardenmom5 said:

and during their press conference, their health minister was sweating profusely (with some suggesting he has it.).  and the female minister who was also the spokeswoman for the students who seized the US embassy in 79  - has it.

The health minister definitely has it that was confirmed 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elroisees said:

I just had to cancel our trip to Rome next week.  I'm very bummed.  I suppose I could have pulled the trigger sooner, but... man, we wanted to go!  But I was letting the CDC make the hard choice for us and the travel advisory just bumped up for Italy to "avoiding non-essential travel."  We sure can't go and get quarantined or sick.  I'm thankful it bumped up now, when I have time to cancel.  We were leaving Sunday.  I've done a ton of research and planning.

Two out of three hotels have refunded our full booking, which is SO kind.  They didn't have to do that; the cancellation window had closed a while ago.  We won't get our money back for the flights, or for the Colosseum and Vatican tickets, I don't think.  I'm going to ask, though.

I'm sad.  I hope we can go later.

I just had our flights for SB cancelled too.  What airline where you flying?  Didn't a bunch airlines stop flying to Italy?  If they did they offer a refund. 

• Like 1

Global Times: (would this indicate undiagnosed Coronavirus or something unrelated
Liu Jianwu suffered a sudden myocardial infarction and passed away.
Quote Tweet

srD3SI1x_normal.jpg
Global Times

@globaltimesnews
· 55m
Liu Jianwu, vice mayor of Zhoukou, Central China’s Henan Province, died in the line of duty early Friday morning, only three days after he took the post. He led a research visit of the city’s medical waste disposal last week amid efforts against #COVID19.

15 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Paywall but WAPO Headline

Coronavirus case of unknown origin confirmed in Oregon, indicating virus is spreading

from your WaPo link but going through google (temp bypass paywall) @Pen

“Feb. 28, 2020 at 6:39 p.m. PST

Breaking: Coronavirus case of unknown origin confirmed in Oregon, indicating virus is spreading

Oregon health officials on Friday reported a coronavirus case of unknown origin. The patient is from Washington County, with no known history of travel to places hit hard by the outbreak, and no contact with a known case of the virus.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

In many parts of the US, the water is unpalatable. Some get by using filters, but many simply buy flats of water. In TX especially many families had water delivery service or bought 2-3 flats a week.

I think some people are also mixing up hurricane preparedness with pandemic preparedness. Perhaps there is a risk of shortage of water treatment chemicals or of facility staffing?

I am not storing water beyond my usual daily life stuff (ie a few jugs in case we overtax our RO filter before recharge).

I already stock up on bottled water here.  I have taken to using delivery methods normally - so not pallets but individual gallons but lots of them.  Our water here will give you kidney stones for sure since it is such extremely hard water.  We do not even give out pets normal water because they get kidney stones too.  And normal filtration does not filtrate out the hardness.  But it really doesn't have anything to do with the coronavirus prep.

When I was in Walmart earlier, every single employee I saw was wearing plastic gloves. I have never seen it to this extent (maybe normally a cashier or two). Idk if this is flu related or coronavirus. 

Today I grabbed: sambucol, gummie vitamins, Clorox wipes, toilet paper, paper towels. And Easter candy. 

My next trip will be for: oatmeal, rice, pasta, canned beans, salsa, pasta sauce, powdered parm, canned veg & fruit, Spam, tuna, V8, breakfast bars.   Maybe Boost or protein drinks. All things we use now, just 5-6 cans extra to stash under my bed...

Edited by alisoncooks

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:
Global Times: (would this indicate undiagnosed Coronavirus or something unrelated
Liu Jianwu suffered a sudden myocardial infarction and passed away.

One of my cousins died of sudden cardiac arrest due to work stress (massive retrenchment) and he was in his 40s. Could  be anything or multiple reasons for Liu Jianwu.

5 hours ago, Renai said:

You can add me to your PM discussion.

Ok!!!  I have tried and probably didn’t succeed. Or did you get an invite notice?  I don’t know what I’m doing. 

5 hours ago, Renai said:

Maybe because some people are carriers and pass it on? I was just in the vicinity of children receiving the nasal (I worked in a school and was responsible for a class), I didn't even get the flu vaccine myself, and carried it home to my family. EVERYONE - including my husband who NEVER gets sick - came down with it. My youngest was affected first, then me, then my oldest, and lastly my dh. It lasted the longest with my youngest (about 3yo at the time) and the least amount of time with dh (we're in our 40s).

I expect that’s the reason. 

5 hours ago, Renai said:

I don't remember who mentioned it on the General Board, but there is a library extension you can add to google Chrome. When I opened up the Amazon link, the extension showed me it's available at my library. So, ya'll, check your libraries.

Excellent!  Thanks! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Paywall but WAPO Headline

Coronavirus case of unknown origin confirmed in Oregon, indicating virus is spreading

13 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

from your WaPo link but going through google (temp bypass paywall) @Pen

“Feb. 28, 2020 at 6:39 p.m. PST

Breaking: Coronavirus case of unknown origin confirmed in Oregon, indicating virus is spreading

Oregon health officials on Friday reported a coronavirus case of unknown origin. The patient is from Washington County, with no known history of travel to places hit hard by the outbreak, and no contact with a known case of the virus.”

I’m in Oregon, and you guys are how I’ve first learned this!!!

Thanks for the heads up.  

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Oregon governor just announced in press conference that a second presumed case, completely unrelated to the first, is also under investigation. State lab (& therefore testing) started today.

First case is an individual who works in an elementary school in Lake Oswego. Washington County resident.

I thought it was interesting that the Oregon state health officials said they were looking for people with whom these patients had prolonged, often face-to-face contact.  They made a point of saying (more than once) that this virus isn't spread as easily as measles (for instance) -- that it is "harder" to catch.  You won't catch it from simply passing an infected person at the store or coming into the room he/she just left.  

I hadn't heard that before.  If they are right, I think that's encouraging.

Edited by DoraBora
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Oregon governor just announced in press conference that a second presumed case, completely unrelated to the first, is also under investigation. State lab (& therefore testing) started today.

First case is an individual who works in an elementary school in Lake Oswego. Washington County resident.

Any info on where second presumed case is?

I have been sort of presuming it’s here for last few weeks or so, but “sort of presuming” and “yes, it definitely is” are different.  

Wish for this situation we were still homeschooling and could more lay low. 

I expect DS will do fine, but I am at more risk and he is likely to bring it home if it arrives at his school. 

I think I’ll do a store trip to Eugene tomorrow and can report on shelves and so forth.  Then another errands trip I didn’t manage to get done today.  Then I can monitor situation a little. 

I have family in Hawaii, and my 80 plus year old father with health risks is already not going out and is being careful about contacts with higher risk family (grandkids who go to school, and parents who are doctors). .  Father has MD and Master of Public Health and worked in South America— it’s rare for him to have concern about infectious diseases.  Stepmother reported stores very busy, though not out of stuff. 

My mom also an MD is also concerned about this one. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

I thought it was interesting that the Oregon state health officials said they were looking for people with whom these patients had prolonged, often face-to-face contact.  They made a point of saying (more than once) that this virus isn't spread as easily as measles (for instance) -- that it is "harder" to catch.  You won't catch it from simply passing an infected person at the store or coming into the room he/she just left.  

Context: huge measles outbreak in the Portland area last year and public places were announced.

They are really telling us that they won’t be announcing public places this person has been.

Fomites are real.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

I would not count on that being right.  

But it is probably true for vast majority of cases.  Plus it seemed some spouses on DP with presumably even significant contact with known case did not get sick.  

But contact tracing brief contacts is close to impossible.   And might cause panic if all the people with a slight cough or sniffle who were slightly in contact with confirmed person were led to worry.  

Worry not good for health either. 

• Like 2

“The person is from Washington County and is being treated at a Kaiser Permanente hospital. 
The Oregon patient is thought to be the third case of community spread in the United States.”
from Cnn

ny times are reporting person is an employee of a school but behind a paywall so I’m not sure if they are saying which school yet

• Thanks 1

https://infographics.channelnewsasia.com/covid-19/coronavirus-singapore-clusters.html??cid=h3_referral_inarticlelinks_24082018_cna

I like this graphic for Singapore. It shows transmission clusters. Singapore hasn't reported any deaths yet to my knowledge. I'm trying to find demographic information from countries that have done widespread testing like South Korea, but I'm not finding a good source. 

17 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

I think they are completely wrong.  The people in Singapore did not have long term contact- they were in the same shopping area,  Same with the people who got infected in Tenerife, the people who got infected in a number of these cases.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Context: huge measles outbreak in the Portland area last year and public places were announced.

They are really telling us that they won’t be announcing public places this person has been.

Fomites are real.

Measles symptoms as spots are probably more clear. So less number of people likely to erroneously think they have it when locations of know case are revealed.

I did notice that Israel revealed the tour itinerary for the sick South Korean tour group. 

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Not official but from a twitter comment 

Oregon presumptive coronavirus patient is an employee at Forest Hills Elementary School. School is closed until next Wednesday for deep cleaning.

I think that was mentioned in the press conference.  (At least the name sounds familiar.)

Measles R0 is 10-12.  This is a lot less contagious.  Estimates on Covid19 are still being worked out but the absolute highest I’ve seen was 5.5. Most are saying around 2-3. WHO had 1.5-2.4

Swine flu I think was 1.4-1.6

i don’t know the ins and outs of it all but to me I think more contagious than flu and less than measles.  Given how well we spread flu still I don’t think it’s good to be complacent.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

This two news may not be related to each other @mathnerd@Joker

https://www.pausd.org/explore-pausd/news/superintendent’s-message-regarding-coronavirus
“Updated February 28, 2020, 2:45pm

Dear Parents:

Earlier today District officials received a report that a parent of two PAUSD students may have been exposed to COVID-19. As a precautionary measure, the district immediately took action and the two students were sent home and will be excluded from attending school until we receive more information. One child is a Paly student and the other attends JLS.”

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/news/Pages/third-novel-coronavirus-case-02-2020.aspx

“Santa Clara County - The County of Santa Clara Public Health Department confirms the third case of COVID-19.  This is the third case to be identified in our County, but is different from the other two cases since this person does not have a travel history nor any known contact with a traveler or infected person.

The individual is an older adult woman with chronic health conditions who was hospitalized for a respiratory illness. Her infectious disease physician contacted the Public Health Department to discuss the case and request testing for the novel coronavirus. The County of Santa Clara Public Health Laboratory received the specimens yesterday and performed the testing. Since receiving the results last night, the department has been working to identify contacts and understand the extent of exposures.

Due to medical privacy requirements and to protect her identity, further information about this case will not be released.

“This new case indicates that there is evidence of community transmission but the extent is still not clear,” said Dr. Sara Cody, Health Officer for Santa Clara County and Director of the County of Santa Clara Public Health Department. “I understand this may be concerning to hear, but this is what we have been preparing for. Now we need to start taking additional actions to slow down the spread of the disease.”

This case is important because it signals that now is the time to change course. The public health measures taken so far – isolation, quarantine, contract tracing, and travel restrictions – have helped to slow the spread of the disease. The department will continue to implement these measures and continue to trace close contacts of our cases to protect the health of individuals and our community.

Since the disease is here, an important priority for the department will be to conduct community surveillance to determine the extent of local transmission. Since the County Public Health Laboratory has the ability to run the test, the department can quickly evaluate what is happening in our community.

For individuals, the recommendations are very simple, but very important:
  • Keep your hands clean. It is one of the most important steps you can take to avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. And always need to cover your cough and stay home when you are sick. 
  • Today, start working on not touching your face because one way viruses spread is when you touch your own mouth, nose or eyes.
  • Since we know the disease is here, we all need to stay away from people who are sick. 
  • Start thinking about family preparedness, how to take care of sick family while not getting infected. Think about a room to isolate a sick person.
There are practical measures that can help limit spread by reducing exposure in community settings:
  • Schools: should plan for absenteeism and explore options for tele-learning and enhance surface cleaning.
  • Businesses: whenever possible, can replace in-person meetings with video or telephone conferences and increase teleworking options and modify absenteeism policies and also enhance surface cleaning.”

Thanks. I just heard from my neighbor that a parent of a student in a San Jose private school was also exposed to that newly diagnosed patient 9 days ago and has been asked to self isolate. I felt that the disease was doing the rounds in our county last week, and it seems that my fears were not misplaced 🙁

• Like 2

I really feel for those in government positions who are supposed to guess about how best to handle all of this.  It seems they can't win for losing.

1 minute ago, Pen said:

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-appears-in-oregon.html

looks like no pay wall

and yes a school is shut down

Fortunately, children seem to possess some immunity to this virus.  Or at least they don't seem to be in as much danger from it.

Still frightening.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Measles R0 is 10-12.  This is a lot less contagious.  Estimates on Covid19 are still being worked out but the absolute highest I’ve seen was 5.5. Most are saying around 2-3. WHO had 1.5-2.4

Swine flu I think was 1.4-1.6

i don’t know the ins and outs of it all but to me I think more contagious than flu and less than measles.  Given how well we spread flu still I don’t think it’s good to be complacent.

I posted a math based study up thread that calculated a somewhat higher R0–don’t know if I can find it again. I mean higher upper end than 5.5

I think infectious diseases have R0 that is not entirely merely intrinsic to the organism, but depends on hosts and behavior.   

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

I really feel for those in government positions who are supposed to guess about how best to handle all of this.  It seems they can't win for losing.

Fortunately, children seem to possess some immunity to this virus.  Or at least they don't seem to be in as much danger from it.

Still frightening.

But can bring it home to mom, dad, grandparents, etc.  

• Like 2