Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Tweet from BBC correspondent in Seoul

In Daegu, 1900 Shincheonji Church members have been tested for coronavirus. 1300 had symptoms & 600 did not. Among those 1300 with symptoms, 87.5% were confirmed with the virus . BUT out of the 600 WITHOUT symptoms, 70% were confirmed with coronavirus.

• Sad 5

“China manufacturing PMI 35.7 in February That's a record low - in the 2008 financial crisis it was 38.8”. From a random tweet

https://tradingeconomics.com/china/manufacturing-pmi

this link shows the index I can’t verify the financial crisis low though only the more recent one.  I 100pc don’t understand economics but that doesn’t sound good.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Yes. I thought it was elderberry.  Yes, no elderberry here because I am super autoimmune as is my youngest, (,who moved out this month) but even dh has asthma and allergies and we are about to hit spring with high pollen counts and that isn't what he needs either.

We're avoiding elderberry, too, as well as any other new supplements. I have multiple AI issues and am on an immuno suppressant medication, and DH is getting ready to start immune therapy for his cancer. First do no harm seems like a good motto. I could get some elderberry for DS21, but given that he's young and has no underlying health issues that put him at higher risk it doesn't seem like a huge need.

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

Does elderberry make sense to take as a preventative or just first symptoms/ known exposure?

I think you can take it as a preventative if you can find enough and afford enough. It's very expensive to take it as a preventative, and I doubt it's going to be easy to find after the next day or three. If I were inclined to use it (and we have used it in the past, before we developed health issues that make it inadvisable), I'd save it for use at the first sign of symptoms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Coronavirus updates: - Spain: 8 new cases - Japan: 6 new cases - Taiwan: 5 new cases - Germany: 4 new cases - Austria: 3 new cases - Netherlands: 2 new cases - 3rd case in the country of Georgia; gov't closing schools for 1 extra week

from BNO

too many cases to individually update each time so that’s a summary.

6433 outside Ml China cases, 98 deaths, 165 serious or critical.

Our pediatrician sent this about elderberry/Sambucol:

Since coronavirus is an RNA virus like influenza and influenza responds to Sambucol brand elderberry, we are recommending that our patients over 4 years take 10 ml and those 1-4 take 5 ml (1 tsp) daily until this gets sorted out.  There is no down side but the cost and a significant potential up side.  Please do not use gummies as there is no evidence about their efficacy.   

I'm going to pick some up today, not to use as a preventative but to have in the house. I think it will sell out in the next week. 

• Like 3

Wake Forest University is closing its study abroad facility in Venice and bringing students home, but won't allow those students on campus for two weeks:

Wake Forest University said Friday it is closing its university-owned study-abroad center in Venice, Italy, after saying earlier this week that students would remain there.

“In response to news of growing numbers of novel coronavirus cases in northern Italy and the possibility of increased travel restrictions, Wake Forest University made the difficult decision to close its study abroad program in Venice for the semester,” said Cheryl Walker, a WFU spokeswoman. “One of the challenges associated with the coronavirus situation is that things are changing very rapidly.”

The university said there’s no evidence that any of the students have been exposed to the coronavirus.

Nineteen students and one faculty member will leave Casa Artom in Venice this weekend, Walker said. Wake Forest leaders said students returning home from Italy won’t be allowed back on campus for two weeks.

“Students will continue classes on campus beginning March 16, following Wake Forest’s spring break,” Walker said.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@Pen @BeachGal @Acadie

FEBRUARY 15, 2020

Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30211-7/fulltext

“All patients were tested for nine respiratory pathogens and the nucleic acid of influenza viruses A and B. Bacteria and fungi culture were done at the same time. We did not find other respiratory viruses in any of the patients. Acinetobacter baumannii, Klebsiella pneumoniae,and Aspergillus flavus were all cultured in one patient. A baumannii turned out to be highly resistant to antibiotics. One case of fungal infection was diagnosed as Candida glabrata and three cases of fungal infection were diagnosed as Candida albicans.
According to chest x-ray and CT, 74 (75%) patients showed bilateral pneumonia (75%) with just 25 (25%) patients showing unilateral pneumonia (table 2). 14 (14%) patients showed multiple mottling and ground-glass opacity (table 2; figure). Additionally, pneumothorax occurred in one (1%) patient.”

That’s sure a lot of infections!   Antibiotic resistant pneumonia sounds bad especially in such crowded conditions as pictures showed. 

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I think you can take it as a preventative if you can find enough and afford enough. It's very expensive to take it as a preventative, and I doubt it's going to be easy to find after the next day or three. If I were inclined to use it (and we have used it in the past, before we developed health issues that make it inadvisable), I'd save it for use at the first sign of symptoms.

I agree.  Unless someone knows from experience it works for them for other viruses and already has an enormous supply on hand, (maybe made elderberry syrup for themselves by the gallon) I think taking it as a preventive may be unfeasible because this is not going to be a matter of just a few weeks and they’ll “have it sorted out.” 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farrar said:

So outside SF, Portland, and now Seattle all have community transmission. There’s no way it’s not everywhere.

Unfortunately I came to the same conclusion last night.  Does anyone know what the policies are regarding when people start dying?  Are the bodies automatically cremated? Will open-casket funerals still be allowed?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

One new case in Canada after return from Egypt.  I thought there wasn’t spread in Egypt just that one case that they ended up saying was negative?  Does that indicate that it might be there and not being identified?

They had to have gone through airports, probably more than one, so they could have been exposed to many people from more at risk areas. I imagine the trip from Egypt to Canada is not likely to be a direct flight, and even if it were, people from other places are in those airports and the planes came from several somewhere elses. But it's probably in Egypt too because i's probably everywhere by now. 

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Unfortunately I came to the same conclusion last night.  Does anyone know what the policies are regarding when people start dying?  Are the bodies automatically cremated? Will open-casket funerals still be allowed?

I don’t think funeral practices have been a big part of the spread, have they?

aaannnndd . . . according to our state health dept. we have two more cases here in the seattle area.  (they tested positive on the tests the State. Dept.. of Health conducted.)  must be confirmed by the CDCP.

one is a high school student from Snohomish county - who went to school while sick, then stayed home - then tried to go back. (though was too sick to stay and didn't actually attend classes - the 2nd time.)

great . . . . . . /

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Sad 5

As an aside, we dose with elderberry (mostly homemade syrup) 3-4 times a week through cold and flu season.  Our incidence of upper respiratory stuff is significantly down since we started that several years ago.  I had no problem ordering an extra pound of dried elderberries from Amazon this week.   We do go to 2-3 times daily if we start having symptoms.   We do order gummies for travel during the winter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Can’t imagine that people will want to have/go to funerals so suspect most will chose immediate burial with memorial services happening later.  

41 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Has this been posted already? I've been trying to keep up with this thread, but might have missed it.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/02/28/i-have-coronavirus-so-far-it-isnt-that-bad/

Thank you!  This made me feel calmer.........

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

My conclusion is that the virus is already pretty well established in several communities in the U.S. We just don't realize it yet. The coming days are going to reveal just how well established, and whether we can contain domestic transmission at this point. I am not optimistic.

We are pretty certain it is in our community.  We have a very high percentage of people who travel here, for business, education and pleasure.  One of our local universities has a sister university program with one in China.   We have a lot of manufacturing companies here too so people travel to Japan, China, Germany, etc because either the companies are based there or they are trying to sell products or secure orders for component parts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I'm angry at those and their "it's not that bad" attitudes.  that leads people to be even more careless about going out when ill.

I'm recovering from pneumonia.    I've mostly been home, but occasionally have had to go out.  It's now in my community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

27 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I don’t think funeral practices have been a big part of the spread, have they?

in some places they are.  

with ebola  - it's a huge problem and the families will try to steal the bodies because they want their traditional funeral practice.  the bodies are highly contagious.

while china normally cremates - the families weren't allowed near the bodies beforehand.  again, a change from how things worked.

I can't imagine an open casket funeral (if allowed to bury the body) would be allowed.  not sure the embalming process would kill the virus.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@Pen @BeachGal @Acadie

FEBRUARY 15, 2020

Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30211-7/fulltext

“All patients were tested for nine respiratory pathogens and the nucleic acid of influenza viruses A and B. Bacteria and fungi culture were done at the same time. We did not find other respiratory viruses in any of the patients. Acinetobacter baumannii, Klebsiella pneumoniae,and Aspergillus flavus were all cultured in one patient. A baumannii turned out to be highly resistant to antibiotics. One case of fungal infection was diagnosed as Candida glabrata and three cases of fungal infection were diagnosed as Candida albicans.
According to chest x-ray and CT, 74 (75%) patients showed bilateral pneumonia (75%) with just 25 (25%) patients showing unilateral pneumonia (table 2). 14 (14%) patients showed multiple mottling and ground-glass opacity (table 2; figure). Additionally, pneumothorax occurred in one (1%) patient.”

Klebsiella pneumoniae was the type of bacteria I had when I had my last definite case of pneumonia in late 2013/2014.   It was really unusual that I had it since it is usually a bacteria that only bothers homeless, alcoholics, and people in long term facilities.  I am sure I got it because I was a lot of stress then and on immunosuppressants and generally not in very good health at that time.    

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Renai said:

What's the connection with asthma and elderberry? I have asthma, but I don't remember having a reaction when I took elderberry years ago (it wasn't sambucol, which is why I had to look up what that was).

Well the deal is that elderberry enhances the immune system.  Since asthma is an autoimmune reaction, you do not want to enhance your immune system.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can still go to Israel (whoever asked that) but they are not accepting people from Hong Kong (and maybe other places, but USA is fine). 

Today in Bethlehem, our friend and local shopkeeper told us the Church of the Nativity turned away a woman from China (since she couldn't go in, her non-Chinese group members chose not to go in, too), and also denied admission to two Italians. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Can’t imagine that people will want to have/go to funerals so suspect most will chose immediate burial with memorial services happening later.  

Thank you!  This made me feel calmer.........

I think that since this is a pandemic, there will be a ban on funerals in order to stop the spread of disease. China implemented automatic cremation, which I believe is standard practice in epidemic and pandemic situations.

ETA: I am talking about a subject that I read about on the internet and am no expert. So, I may not be right on this.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

Has this been posted already? I've been trying to keep up with this thread, but might have missed it.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/02/28/i-have-coronavirus-so-far-it-isnt-that-bad/

For some of those people who find the first bout mild, the danger is that the reinfection — the second bout — is bad.

This is not a typical virus. It’s doing something wonky with white blood cells.

The number one treatment I would use at this point is either direct intravenous ozone or the treatment where they remove some blood, mix in ozone and inject that blood back in. The small amount of ozone  creates peroxides that are capable of oxidizing the “fingers” of the virus so it can’t latch onto your cells. The virus is deactivated. This was used on a few people who were developing Ebola but WHO stopped it. India and Cuba use ozone therapy quite a bit. There are MDs who use it in the US, too. It’s very cheap to administer. It’s also used in some of the best hospital air purifiers to kill pathogens.

Glutathione might play an important role. I’m waiting to hear more about that.

Selenium 200 mcg per day would be good to take.

The future treatment my guess will be anti-virals and maybe a newer RNA vaccines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Well the deal is that elderberry enhances the immune system.  Since asthma is an autoimmune reaction, you do not want to enhance your immune system.  

Hmmm, I've read that asthma is a *possible* autoimmune reaction. When I consistently took herbs (made own teas, etc.) to boost my immune system, I rarely got sick, and rarely had an asthma attack, in fact, I didn't have attacks for years. When I slacked off, I started getting sick, and the attacks came back. This has been my worst year yet, needing an inhaler several times a week. It may be my age, but I'm going back to boosting my immune system. The less I get sick, the fewer asthma attacks I have.

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

It looks to be behind a paywall.

35 minutes ago, Renai said:

Hmmm, I've read that asthma is a *possible* autoimmune reaction. When I consistently took herbs (made own teas, etc.) to boost my immune system, I rarely got sick, and rarely had an asthma attack, in fact, I didn't have attacks for years. When I slacked off, I started getting sick, and the attacks came back. This has been my worst year yet, needing an inhaler several times a week. It may be my age, but I'm going back to boosting my immune system. The less I get sick, the fewer asthma attacks I have.

I think herbs and supplements that get touted as immune system boosters would sometimes be better described as immune system regulators.  I know omega 3s and vitamin d fall into this category - they optimize your immune system so are good for both overactive and weak immune systems. The same could be true with the herbal remedies you've tried. Or not... It sounds like elderberry truly activates the immune system. We have autoimmune issues here, so we won't be using it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I thought for sure it’d be posted here already, but 1:30 press conference coming. 1st US death.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/department-health-confirms-first-coronavirus-death-washington-state/XIDPHMLVOJAAREQ5YCL75367PU/

“The Washington Department of Health confirmed Saturday the first coronavirus-related death in Washington state, according to a press release. 

Health officials said there are new King County cases in addition to the two new cases confirmed Friday evening. 

The department is hosting a press conference at 1 p.m. to provide further details.”

1 hour ago, Renai said:

It looks to be behind a paywall.

I th9nl asthma is several diseases. I know that both mine and my daughter's asthma is definitely autoimmune, since we get flares of our other autoimmune immune and allergies at the same time.  Since dh has allergies, eczema, and asthma, I figure his is autoimmune too.  His genetic profile has a lot of tendencies toward autoimmune stuff too.

• Like 1

Supplies/prepping

Hit the local dollar store (only store in 30 min drive that has this type stuff w/out being super overpriced). Some hand sanitizer sold out but still lots of shelf. Looks like some people picked up Vit C gummies but otherwise still full shelves of other stuff including Emergen C / +Immune (chewies & drink powder?).

I'm looking for some small refillable squeeze containers to move hand sanitizer to for cars/bags. Nothing there so I'll order on Amazon.

I was pumping gas today & thinking of not wanting to touch the gas dispenser & credit card display thingamajig. I have hand sanitizer in the car but touch other things getting back in... unless I consider one hand 'dirty' & the other 'clean'.

• Like 2

My Costco in San Diego has been out of hand sanitizers for several days. My sister literally had a woman try to grab the last hand sanitizer from out of her hands where she lives in Sonoma County. My sister is a breast cancer survivor and has had lymph nodes removed.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I th9nl asthma is several diseases. I know that both mine and my daughter's asthma is definitely autoimmune, since we get flares of our other autoimmune immune and allergies at the same time.  Since dh has allergies, eczema, and asthma, I figure his is autoimmune too.  His genetic profile has a lot of tendencies toward autoimmune stuff too.

I didn't even know about the autoimmune connection until you mentioned it. I had to go research! Interesting you mention the other issues, as those are also in our family...

• Like 1

I did my usual grocery shopping yesterday and everything was totally normal — no crowds, fully stocked shelves, just like any other Friday. Last night I noticed we were almost out of paper towels, and I was low on onions and sweet potatoes, so I figured I'd run to Costco this morning as soon as it opened, thinking it wouldn't be too crowded then. It was INSANE. There were hundreds of people lined up outside before it even opened, and as soon as the doors opened people were literally running through the store throwing things into their carts. The section with TP and paper towels was a total zoo, with people jostling each other to grab multiple packs of each. Some people had the flatbed type carts and were getting cases and cases of water and toilet paper. I was lucky that I only needed a few things, so there weren't long lines at the cash registers yet when I was ready to check out. I am much more worried about the craziness and panic than I am about the actual virus. I was shocked by just how crazy people were acting. :sad:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

New York Times reports:

"A man near Seattle has become the first novel coronavirus patient to die in the United States, health officials said Saturday. Kay Taylor, a spokeswoman for EvergreenHealth, said the person who died was a patient at the organization’s hospital in Kirkland, Washington."

Is this a case that we were already aware of? Or is this a new case? 

Susan in TX

Again from the New York Times:

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced Saturday that it was authorizing American laboratories to develop their own coronavirus tests, which should significantly increase the country’s testing capacity.

The effect could be rapid. About 80 labs and private companies have applied for emergency approval for tests they have already created. If they have submitted evidence that the tests work, the labs and companies will be able to use them immediately, rather than wait for the F.D.A. to complete reviews and issue approvals."

It's about time. They should have done this sooner. We have lost valuable time because of the lack of testing. I am afraid that this will spiral out of control now.

Susan in TX

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Susan in TX said:

New York Times reports:

"A man near Seattle has become the first novel coronavirus patient to die in the United States, health officials said Saturday. Kay Taylor, a spokeswoman for EvergreenHealth, said the person who died was a patient at the organization’s hospital in Kirkland, Washington."

Is this a case that we were already aware of? Or is this a new case? 

Susan in TX

Trump said it was a woman in her late 50s.

3 minutes ago, matrips said:

What flavor of Emergen C do you like best?  I’ve never used it.  Do you think it helps?

I like raspberry, myself. 

In response to other posts...Geez. What am I going to find in a week when I get back to the States? People that are posting about Costco craziness--are you all on the west coast? Can I expect shortages in Virginia? 

• Like 2