Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

@mathnerd@Joker

From KTVU https://www.ktvu.com/news/students-at-uc-davis-community-colleges-affected-by-coronovirus-outbreak

“DAVIS, Calif. - A student at UC Davis who lives in a campus dorm is being tested for coronavirus, and two roommates are in isolation, the university chancellor said Thursday.

The three students all were staying at Kearney Hall, a campus dormitory. The student who is being tested is at home, showing mild symptoms of the virus, said university spokeswoman Melissa Lutz Blouin. All three are in isolation. The first student is not on campus any more and the other two have no symptoms, the university said. 

Blouin added that the student had “a runny nose and a bit of a cough,” and noted that the Center for Disease Control and Prevention investigates anyone with such symptoms who has been exposed to someone with the virus.

As a precaution, the school’s housing and dining facilities are using “daily disinfection practices,” Chancellor Gary May and universtiy Health Vice Chancellor David Lubarsky said in their announcement.

Officials said there is no connection with the UC Davis students and the woman in Solano County who is the first case of an individual in the U.S. for whom officials do not know the source of illness. 

In addition, two community college students in Sacramento who were recently exposed to the coronavirus are in self-quarantine, school officials said. 

One student at American River College and another from Cosumnes River College, who both work as medical professionals, were exposed off-campus to someone who has since tested positive for COVID-19 and is being treated in Sacramento County, authorities said. 

The two students were exposed to the virus last week while performing professional duties. They both returned to their respective campuses after being exposed. 

Sacramento County Public Health experts have directed both colleges to take no immediate action and proceed with regular class and work schedules at this time.

Out of an abundance of caution, the two students were instructed to self-quarantine for 14 days. They will be self-monitored and will notify health officials if any symptoms arise. ”

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Measles R0 is 10-12.  This is a lot less contagious.  Estimates on Covid19 are still being worked out but the absolute highest I’ve seen was 5.5. Most are saying around 2-3. WHO had 1.5-2.4

Swine flu I think was 1.4-1.6

i don’t know the ins and outs of it all but to me I think more contagious than flu and less than measles.  Given how well we spread flu still I don’t think it’s good to be complacent.

R0 estimated to be 4.7 to 6.6. Despite Manhattan Project infamy, Los Alamos is a high power scientific institution https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.07.20021154v1.full.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Dh was working in international student accommodation the last two days.  I suspect at this point overseas transmission is not the only concern but he still went overboard with the hand sanitiser

Remind him to moisturise. My husband’s colleague hands were affected by overuse of hand sanitiser.

https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness/health-well-being/occupational-health-services/occupation-health-resources/hand-rashes-dermatitis-healthcare-worker
“Hand dermatitis is common among healthcare workers, particularly those that work in patient care units where frequent hand washing or sanitizing is necessary. The most common symptoms are dry, red hands with cracks and fissures when the dryness is severe. Rash, either hives or red streaks or papules may be present, particularly if the rash is allergic in nature. There are three main types of hand dermatitis in the healthcare setting; irritant, allergic non-latex, and latex allergy.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Ok!!!  I have tried and probably didn’t succeed. Or did you get an invite notice?  I don’t know what I’m doing. 

I expect that’s the reason. 

Excellent!  Thanks! 

I got it!

Sambucol - Maybe regional, but Walgreens has it for buy 1, get one 50% off this week. Includes regular, children, and gummies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Renai said:

Sambucol - Maybe regional, but Walgreens has it for buy 1, get one 50% off this week. Includes regular, children, and gummies.

7 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

What is sambucol?  I know I cant take elderberry.

Costco $23.99 twin pack of 230ml bottles

it’s elderberry 

The photo with prices is at Sprouts 

76E394F6-A4EE-4CF7-8AE6-1BF0DA9F1A5E.jpeg

76499E01-904C-4784-B681-DF54EDB5A7A5.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Renai said:

Looks like the costs are comparable, for those without a Costco (like us) or Sprouts. https://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=Sambucol

Sambucol Black Elderberry Immune System Support, Original Formula. 7.8oz (230ml)
Walgreens $24.99 x 1.5 = $37.49

Sprouts $26.99 x 2 = $53.98

Costco $23.99 (twin pack)

Walgreens is cheaper if you don’t have Costco.

ETA:

SIL ask us to buy for her so we are scouting prices.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Yes. I thought it was elderberry.  Yes, no elderberry here because I am super autoimmune as is my youngest, (,who moved out this month) but even dh has asthma and allergies and we are about to hit spring with high pollen counts and that isn't what he needs either.

What's the connection with asthma and elderberry? I have asthma, but I don't remember having a reaction when I took elderberry years ago (it wasn't sambucol, which is why I had to look up what that was).

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

has this been posted yet?

The Washington Post

Second coronavirus case of unknown origin confirmed in California, indicating virus is spreading in the state

if it’s the Santa Clara county one, I posted 4 hrs ago.  The first unknown origin case is in Solano county.

abc7news link on both cases https://abc7news.com/5974170/

• Like 2

My conclusion is that the virus is already pretty well established in several communities in the U.S. We just don't realize it yet. The coming days are going to reveal just how well established, and whether we can contain domestic transmission at this point. I am not optimistic.

• Like 15

1 minute ago, SeaConquest said:

My conclusion is that the virus is already pretty well established in several communities in the U.S. We just don't realize it yet. The coming days are going to reveal just how well established, and whether we can contain domestic transmission at this point. I am not optimistic.

This is what I believe here and in most places.  Low level spread detected when some people become more severely ill.  It was predictable 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Sambucol Black Elderberry Immune System Support, Original Formula. 7.8oz (230ml)

ETA:

The buy 1, get one 1/2 off at Walgreens is for the 4 oz bottle (120 mL), So the price is actually 14.79 x 1.5 = 22.19 for 240 mL. (Plus, if you have a card, there is another $3 off coupon connected to it.)

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This is what I believe here and in most places.  Low level spread detected when some people become more severely ill.  It was predictable 

Yep. We are now at 4 separate community transmissions in WA, OR, and 2 separate counties in CA with a long-incubating, highly-contagious virus, during cold/flu season, where most people will not get seriously ill. And the one person in a school has had symptoms for a week! Think of all those people who were infected in just that location.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Sad 6

Just now, Terabith said:

So, we all mainline vitamin D like we are doing cocaine.  I ordered emergency-c from amazon (and had no trouble getting my preferred tangerine flavor).   Should we be taking multivitamins?  Elderberry?  Probiotics?  Fish oil?

Elderberry if you can tolerate it.  It’s most effective in the first 24 hours.  I’m keeping it in and dosing anyone with mild symptoms because it’s fairly expensive to use as a preventative here

• Like 1

@Pen @BeachGal @Acadie

FEBRUARY 15, 2020

Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30211-7/fulltext

“All patients were tested for nine respiratory pathogens and the nucleic acid of influenza viruses A and B. Bacteria and fungi culture were done at the same time. We did not find other respiratory viruses in any of the patients. Acinetobacter baumannii, Klebsiella pneumoniae,and Aspergillus flavus were all cultured in one patient. A baumannii turned out to be highly resistant to antibiotics. One case of fungal infection was diagnosed as Candida glabrata and three cases of fungal infection were diagnosed as Candida albicans.
According to chest x-ray and CT, 74 (75%) patients showed bilateral pneumonia (75%) with just 25 (25%) patients showing unilateral pneumonia (table 2). 14 (14%) patients showed multiple mottling and ground-glass opacity (table 2; figure). Additionally, pneumothorax occurred in one (1%) patient.”
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

ETA:

Sambucol is available as a gummy and is equally effective. That might be a good option if they are going to carry a lot of it back home.

38 minutes ago, Renai said:

What's the connection with asthma and elderberry? I have asthma, but I don't remember having a reaction when I took elderberry years ago (it wasn't sambucol, which is why I had to look up what that was).

http://pennstatehershey.adam.com/content.aspx?productid=107&pid=33&gid=002880
“Possible Interactions

If you are being treated with any of the following medications, you should talk to your health care provider before taking elderberry:

Diuretics (water pills). Diuretics help the body get rid of excess fluid and increase the amount of urine your body makes. Elderberry may also act as a diuretic, so taking it along with a diuretic could make that drug stronger and raise your risk of dehydration. Diuretics include:

• Hydrochlorothiazide
  • Bumetanide (Burinex)
  • Furosemide (Lasix)
  • Amiloride (Midamor)
  • Metolazone (Zaroxolyn) 

Diabetes medications. Elderberry may lower blood sugar levels. If you are also taking drugs for diabetes, taking elderberry may increase your risk of developing hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar.

Chemotherapy. Elderberry may interact with some chemotherapy drugs. If you are undergoing chemotherapy, ask your oncologist before taking any herb or supplement.

Laxatives. Elderberry may act like a laxative and should not be taken at the same time as other laxatives.

Theophylline (TheoDur). Elderberry may reduce levels of theophylline, a drug taken for asthma and other respiratory conditions. That could make the drug not work as well.

Drugs that suppress the immune system. Because elderberry may stimulate the immune system, it could interfere with medications taken to suppress the immune system. These medications include corticosteroids (prednisone) and medications used to treat autoimmune diseases. People with organ transplants should also avoid elderberry.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I just had our flights for SB cancelled too.  What airline where you flying?  Didn't a bunch airlines stop flying to Italy?  If they did they offer a refund. 

I hope they will, but it's Ryanair.  They aren't known for their generosity.  However,  it was under 400eu for all four of us. Bad, but not a crisis. 

• Like 1

5,938 cases outside mainland China.

I am fairly sure Iran have widespread undetected cases.  Otherwise their fatality rate is currently almost 10pc.  Italy’s is at 2pc but they are excluding asymptomatic cases from their figures and had some shortage of testing facilities meaning it may be lower (or at least stay stable as more cases reach a conclusion).  Also they had hospital infection of already ill people which probably upped it.

6 hours ago, regentrude said:

why buy water? Are they expecting contamination of tap water??

I live in a rural area in a hot climate. Most people walk around with a bottle of water to avoid dehydration. The water here is very hard, too. We run ours through a softener, but that makes it taste salty. 😛 We get a monthly bottled water delivery, (the big 5 gallon bottles).  A lot of other people do the same.  I'm guessing the people in my area that are buying water are following the advice of "Get some extra now". Although now that I think about it, we've got a water bottling plant in town, so there shouldn't be any supply chain issues here for bottled water. 

I can fill bottles from the outside spigot if need be, because it bypasses the softener, but hauling water to the house is a bit more "Little House on the Prairie" than I want to go.  

• Like 1

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/covid19-japan-cherry-blossoms-cancelled-coronavirus-tourism-12485152
“(Updated: 29 Feb 2020 03:20PM)

TOKYO: Major cherry blossom festivals in Japan have been cancelled due to the deadly new coronavirus, the latest in a growing list of events quashed as the epidemic spreads globally.

The traditional spring celebrations in Tokyo and Osaka, which attract millions of people wanting to seeing the white and pink flowers, will not go ahead as planned in April.

"We are sincerely sorry for those who were looking forward to the viewing ... but please give us your understanding," the Japan Mint in Osaka said Friday.

Other cherry blossom events - feverishly anticipated by locals and tourists - are likely to follow suit, according to local media.

Organisers of Tokyo's Nakameguro Cherry Blossom Festival said people could still enjoy the blooming trees that grow along public roads.

Trees in Tokyo will soon be in full bloom, with friends, families and colleagues typically flocking to parks for sometimes raucous, alcohol-fuelled celebrations.

The cancellations come as authorities step up efforts to tackle the outbreak in Japan, which has reported more than 230 infections and five deaths.”

• Sad 3

There are pics on twitter showing South Korean army praying disinfectant using vehicles etc.  They are from Yonhap news though I can’t figure out how to find them (can’t read Korean!). Looks a little bit serious in containment efforts.   I haven’t seen that kind of widespread disinfection in Italy yet.  There was a couple of pics of people disinfecting from Iran but nothing too serious.

You have to assume if they are doing that there’s a fairly good indication of survival for some time on surfaces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Ausmumof3 

Airlines Are Using Disinfectant That Kills Herpes and MRSA to Clean Planes in Wake of Coronavirus Outbreak https://time.com/5791414/airlines-disinfectant-coronavirus/

“What cleaning products are used?

Qantas used Viraclean, a hospital-grade disinfectant made by Sydney-based Whiteley Corp. It’s a pink, lemon-scented liquid that kills a range of bacteria and viruses including Hepatitis B and herpes simplex, according to the manufacturer. Surfaces heavily soiled with blood or sweat should be soaked with undiluted Viraclean. Gloves and eye protection are recommended, Whiteley says.

Korean Air opted for MD-125. That’s a diluted version of D-125, a cleaning solution made by Microgen and used in industries from health care to poultry farming. The company says MD-125 acts against 142 bacteria and viruses, including salmonella, avian flu, HIV and measles.

Scoot, a low-cost carrier owned by Singapore Airlines, sprayed a mist of “industrial-grade disinfectant” throughout the cabin — a process known as fogging.”

32 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

There are pics on twitter showing South Korean army praying disinfectant using vehicles etc.  They are from Yonhap news though I can’t figure out how to find them (can’t read Korean!). Looks a little bit serious in containment efforts.  

“South Korean army soldiers wearing protective suits spray disinfectant to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus on a street in Daegu, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020. As the worst-hit areas of Asia continued to struggle with a viral epidemic, with hundreds more cases reported Thursday in South Korea and China, worries about infection and containment spread across the globe. (Lee Moo-ryul/Newsis via AP) Associated Press”

many links for the photo e.g. https://www.businessinsider.com/in-scramble-to-stop-virus-testing-raises-tough-questions-2020-2

• Like 1