Menu

Hysterectomy on Monday

Terabith

I have to have a hysterectomy on Monday because of a giant ovarian tumor, which is terrifying and sad.  I'm hoping I'll get to keep an ovary, since I'm definitely not near menopause.  Good news today is was that genetic testing came back negative, which is good not just for me but also for my daughters and sister.  And CT scan didn't show anything other than the mass we already knew about.  Surgeon says she thinks there's a good chance it's benign.  But, still a lot of things to be scared of.  Possibility of malignancy.  Surgery.  Anesthesia.  Drama with my mother and my mother in law.  So...prayers and good thoughts would be appreciated.

• Sad 13

I’m surviving.  I am very tired. Pain is a bit better but still an issue.  I haven’t pooped yet, so that’s a concern, but I am at home.  My brain is too fuzzy to do much other than sleep.  I’m trying to walk a lot; ironically that was easier in the hospital when I didn’t have to worry about getting dressed to go around the hospital “block.”  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Recovering sucks.  I mean, I am incredibly grateful that it doesn’t appear to be cancer and that they saved an ovary.  And that everything is going as well as can be expected.  I really, really am.  But it’s sinking in how incredibly long this is going to take.  And I’m so tired.   Completely and utterly exhausted.  Like with the flu exhausted.  I can barely stay awake.  And it hurts.  Definitely more pain than the first day.  It’s hard to move around.   And my brain feels completely offline.  I can’t really read or watch tv.  I can’t concentrate on anything, because I’m so tired.  I’m trying to walk and such as much as possible.  But it just highlights how hard everything is.  And I don’t have anything to complain about.  I AM grateful.  It just sucks at the same time.  

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Recovering sucks.  I mean, I am incredibly grateful that it doesn’t appear to be cancer and that they saved an ovary.  And that everything is going as well as can be expected.  I really, really am.  But it’s sinking in how incredibly long this is going to take.  And I’m so tired.   Completely and utterly exhausted.  Like with the flu exhausted.  I can barely stay awake.  And it hurts.  Definitely more pain than the first day.  It’s hard to move around.   And my brain feels completely offline.  I can’t really read or watch tv.  I can’t concentrate on anything, because I’m so tired.  I’m trying to walk and such as much as possible.  But it just highlights how hard everything is.  And I don’t have anything to complain about.  I AM grateful.  It just sucks at the same time.  

Hmm. Are you are narcotic pain relievers? If not, something seems off. Your brain should not be this fuzzy. Surgery is exhausting but you seem a step beyond this. I'd give it until noon today, and then call the doctor's office and report your symptoms. Be very clear regarding the level of your fatigue, where you're at on the pain scale, and your mental fog. The weekend is coming and you want to make sure you're headed in the right direction so you're not waiting until Monday's office hours.

I am on narcotics.  I’m not taking  them constantly but the nine inch incision is pretty uncomfortable and ibuprofen alone doesn’t always keep the pain under a five.  I talked to the nurse who said this level of fatigue was normal.  I am getting less foggy but apparently pain and exhaustion can make you overstimulated.  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

It's possible to be both grateful for good quality medical treatment, and really sad/mad/grieving for the necessity of that treatment and the impact it will have on your life.  Don't try to talk yourself out of those emotions and thoughts, they are real and valid, just like recognizing the necessity of the operation is real and valid.  That doesn't mean you have to like it!!!  

I hope things improve over the weekend!

• Like 6

Not sure how much blood I lost.  But I would think with all the digging inside that it would be hard to do that without blood loss.  I’m not as wiped out as when I gave birth and had a fourth degree tear.  Mentally I was okay then, but physically I couldn’t stand without getting dizzy.  

Just to make things more exciting, apparently my mother in law has a detached retina.  Fun times!

• Sad 4

15 hours ago, Terabith said:

It just sucks at the same time.

Can you find anything really worthwhile to do? Like watch all the Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers movies? Or you could stream this really high quality BBC wonder on your amazon prime 

Young Dracula - The BBC Series: The Complete First Season                                     

I'm sorry you feel like junk. On the plus side, it isn't a concussion. I see  you're saying you're on track. Sigh.

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

I am on narcotics.  

Oh my goodness! Well you're definitely feeling a mess. My dd was a loon on those strong pain meds. Fwiw she didn't remember later what she did. Don't go to Vegas. 

Maybe you won't remember this completely when you're better. Try to sleep a lot.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

Today was definitely better!  I was able to read some and the chaos of being around people didn’t make me nauseated or headachy.  I even put on actual clothes and went out for a bit to Chick Fil A and a coffee house where my husband knew the guitarist.  I felt almost normal, even if my arms look like a heroin addict.  

• Like 9