Menu

Father Abraham lyric disagreement

Terabith

“...many sons. Many sons had Father Abraham. And I am one of them. And so are you...â€

Seven sons doesn’t make a shred of sense. Abraham was “father of many.†The covenant was that God would make his descendants as numerous as the stars.

• Like 33

Many

While seven may be true, it is illogical if the following verses are "I am one of them, and so are you..."

One of God's promises to Abraham was that his descendants would be numerous, like the stars in the heavens and the grains of sand on the shore.

Many

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 3

“...many sons. Many sons had Father Abraham. And I am one of them. And so are you...â€

Seven sons doesn’t make a shred of sense. Abraham was “father of many.†The covenant was that God would make his descendants as numerous as the stars.

See, quill caught it too.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

I learned it as seven sons, but that isn't the only difference.....

Father Abraham had seven sons, 

Seven sons had Father Abraham 

And they didn't laugh; they didn't cry

All they did was go like this.......

As a member of the LDS church this isn't a song we learned as kids.  I learned it from going to Bible camp with the neighbor kids in the summer.  I figured it was like the Hokey Pokey.  Also I never learned why Abraham's sons didn't laugh or cry :)

This is the version I learned.

As for Abraham in the Bible, he has eight named sons with three different wives/concubines:

Hagar: Ishmael

Sarah: Isaac

Keturah: Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, Shuah

Honestly the seven in the song may just be because "seven sons" sounds nice and has meaning in folk tradition "seventh son of a seventh son etc."

I'm not one to parse too much into children's rhymes.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

The one I learned was the Boy Scout campfire version in my home country where we sing seven children. So probably not the biblical version.

“Father abraham had seven cildren.

Seven children had father Abraham.

Some of them were tall and some of them were short.

But none of them were bright.

Raise your

(right,left,stamp your right ,stamp your left, nood your head, stick out your tongue)†http://southerncrossscoutscheers.blogspot.com/2007/07/father-abraham-father-abraham-had-seven.html

• Like 2

Here's how I learned it:

Father Abraham had seven sons.
Seven sons had father Abraham.
And he never laughed, and he never cried.
All he did was go like this:

1. with his left (arm)
2. with his right (arm)
3. with his left leg
4. with his right leg
5. and a wiggle
6. all around
7. sit down

No reference to being one of his sons.  

In the study of "variant texts" the idea of 'what makes the most sense' actually weighs counter-intuitively on the side of the less sensible version being original (or at least prior to the more sensible version).

The reasoning is that when people notice what they believe to be an error in a "text" (ie 'it doesn't make a lick of sense') they quite reasonably feel good about making a change and propogating the new-and-improved version. Others hear and adopt the 'more sensible' version and therefore the older, more original variant fades from use.

It is presumed that no one would have motivation to change a sensible version into a nonsense version on purpose. Changes 'away from good sense' tend to be made as mistakes, not intentional changes. (In the days before 'darn you autocorrect!' -- which often makes errors into new and catastrophic sensible sentences.)

This suggests that while "many" makes more sense, "seven" was probably the original lyric.

• Like 3

I learned seven. I never considered it a particularly religious song, though--about as religious as the Amsterdam song. It uses familiar Biblical characters, but doesn't really try to teach a historical or moral lesson, or serve as a worship song.

I am pretty sure my teachers growing up used it to help us kids get our wiggles out. I definitely didn’t learn any great biblical lessons from it.

• Like 1

In the study of "variant texts" the idea of 'what makes the most sense' actually weighs counter-intuitively on the side of the less sensible version being original (or at least prior to the more sensible version).

The reasoning is that when people notice what they believe to be an error in a "text" (ie 'it doesn't make a lick of sense') they quite reasonably feel good about making a change and propogating the new-and-improved version. Others hear and adopt the 'more sensible' version and therefore the older, more original variant fades from use.

It is presumed that no one would have motivation to change a sensible version into a nonsense version on purpose. Changes 'away from good sense' tend to be made as mistakes, not intentional changes. (In the days before 'darn you autocorrect!' -- which often makes errors into new and catastrophic sensible sentences.)

This suggests that while "many" makes more sense, "seven" was probably the original lyric.

That’s weird. And counter-intuitive.

I am pretty sure my teachers growing up used it to help us kids get our wiggles out. I definitely didn’t learn any great biblical lessons from it.

Yes, the main goal seemed to be to exhaust the kids so we would sit (a little bit) still for the felt-board Bible lesson.

• Like 3