Menu

s/o if you vax your kids, which vaxes do YOU get?

SKL

Just wondering ... we say vaxes are non-negotiable for our kids, but do the parents of those kids get vaxed (i.e. are they up-to-date)?  If not, what are the reasons?

Is it hard to get vaxes as adults or to get them covered by insurance?  I don't know, I'm in the "can't remember my last shot" camp.

Edited by SKL

I have Kaiser and all shots are free under my plan. I get the flu shot every year. My last immunization was in 2012. I got the Tdap which is Tetanus, diptheria, acellular pertussis. I know this because I recently stepped on a nail inside my house and went it to have it looked at. My doctor told me my tetanus was up to date and the nail wasn't rusty so I didn't need anything else.

I want to get the shingles shot but I think that's for older people.

I get the vaxes my doctor recommends. As an adult I have had the tetanus booster, pertussis boosters, and flu shot.

The pertussis was when I had a newborn and there was an outbreak in my area. The flu shot is because I've been getting it for over 20 years and managed to avoid getting the flu. I have contemplated not getting it in recent years but the year I was pregnant and h1n1 was rampant, my OB lost three patients to the flu. Her insistence that I get the flu shot has stuck with me.

Got a tetanus and flu shot last year.  Not sure of other shots.  I know I've had some as an adult, but the details of when and what are fuzzy.

Reasoning?  Well, except for lately, I hardly ever go to doctors. 

One I absolutely want to get when I'm the recommended age is the shingles vaccine.  I've known several people who got shingles, and it is pretty terrible!

• Like 1

I have Kaiser and all shots are free under my plan. I get the flu shot every year. My last immunization was in 2012. I got the Tdap which is Tetanus, diptheria, acellular pertussis. I know this because I recently stepped on a nail inside my house and went it to have it looked at. My doctor told me my tetanus was up to date and the nail wasn't rusty so I didn't need anything else.

I want to get the shingles shot but I think that's for older people.

How old for Shingles? I have had a few people fall to this

I get whatever I am supposed to.   I get the Flu and I got Tdap  a year ago. 

I have all the recommended ones for me that I can take except maybe the Shingles one. I would like to get it but I am on strong immunesuppressants and it is a live vaccine I think. If they allow me to take it, I will get it before I go on a biologic. I just got Prevnar vaccine (new pneumonia vaccine) last week. That makes 4 pneumonia shots I have received in my life. Other ones I have had in the past include TDap, Hep A, Hep B, polio, MMR, smallpox (Yes, I am that old that they were still vaccinating people for that) and I get a flu shot every year. I never got a meningitis shot because I don't think I was in a high risk group by the time they were recommending them.

My kids have gotten all but Gardisil- oldest was too old and male so they weren't recommending it then, middle has high risk for one of the potential bad side effects so no for her, and youngest just hasn't got it even though I think she wants it in case of rape (mostly). Youngest needs to get a pneumonia vaccine too since she is now recommended to have it since she has severe asthma. All my kids and my son in law too get flu vaccines every year too since they want to be around both me and my youngest.

I had some around the time Broccoli was born (when I was 26), but I don't remember which (nor which provider, exactly). I'm planning on getting 'everything' (i.e. all the normal common stuff) when he turns 10, since most vaccines are 'good' for 10 years. That said, if it's expensive to do so, I might be more selective about what to get. We'll see. I get the flu shot every year now since I've had the flu often enough to last me a lifetime.

ETA: I'm nowhere remotely near old enough for the shingles shot, so I haven't looked into that. 

Edited by luuknam

Tdap/DTaP

Tetanus 

These obviously depend on age.

Hib

Meningococcal

Pneumococcal

Again, dependent on age.

We do delay.  Hib is the only thing I do before age 2. 

I am having my 13yo and 15yo get varicella soon.  Sigh.  I am giving up on finding wild chickenpox.

I do not do polio but I would if it was a threat.  It just is not currently.

I do not do Hepatitis currently.

I do delay vaxes so that we do fewer with an older, more developed/mature immune system.

Is it hard to get vaxes as adults or to get them covered by insurance? I don't know, I'm in the "can't remember my last shot" camp.

My husband's company provided insurance covers all required shots including those for traveling. So whatever is recommended for traveling in Asia gets covered too since the bulk of our relatives are in that continent (different countries).

We opt out of the flu vaccine. I think only the TB test needs to be current for my kids to attend the local YMCA summer camps.

ETA:

None of our tetanus shots are up to date. Being accident prone, I'll probably check if the nearby walkable Safeway or CVS pharmacy has that service as we have to drive to our general practitioner. They do vaccination clinics.

ETA:

CVS has the service and we can walk to one http://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/services/price-lists#vaccinations

Edited by Arcadia

I got the basic childhood vaccines that were recommended back then as a kid and had my rubella titer tested before I got pregnant.

I get the flu shot every year (daily contact with large dorm housed populations). 

As a climber/hiker, I make sure Tetanus is up to date. Last I got combo with Pertussis.

Because it was demanded by the US government for immigrants, I got the Hep B vaccine.

Insurance covered adult vaccines.

I had chickenpox and shingles. Will have to research whether shingles vaccine would be indicated as a senior.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I go to my doctor semi-regularly for physicals and no vaccinations except flu are ever recommended.   I just started with a new doctor so I'll have to see if that changes. Nobody in our house gets flu shots.  None of us are in any high risk categories.

I do get tetanus shots fairly regularly but it's usually on a trip to the ER for some injury or another.  Most recent was from a car accident.  One time it was because I was bit by a prairie dog.  Another time rabbit bites.   I've stepped on nails once or twice.

I don't know if it's considered a vaccination but I get the shots for being Rh negative with every pregnancy.

ETA:  I was fully vaccinated as a child with everything that was recommended at that point in time - 70's-80's.

Edited by Where's Toto?

. I know this because I recently stepped on a nail inside my house and went it to have it looked at. My doctor told me my tetanus was up to date and the nail wasn't rusty so I didn't need anything else.

Just as an aside: tetanus has nothing to do with rust. It lives in the soil. The proverbial rusty nail is  less dangerous than a skin breaking puncture wound while gardening.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

If we're including childhood vaxes, I got everything except the 12yo batch, because I managed to be ill at both the vax date and the make-up date. I did however get those when I was 17, I think, before going to Thailand (as well as the rabies I mentioned on the other thread). I definitely had everything USCIS requires for immigrants when I migrated at 20yo. I had iirc mumps (or rubella? can't recall) when I was a few months old (the disease, not the vax). 

Edited by luuknam

Fully vaxed as a child, including small pox (I am old).

I have already had a case of shingles and pertussis as an adult.

I did get a tetanus shot within the last decade. I was going to turn it down and then I thought "If I say no I will step on a rusty nail in the parking lot".

I had the rubella shot after I had my daughter because testing showed I was not immune even though I had been vaccinated. I still remember the nurse saying I would feel a stinging sensation for a few minutes after the shot. That was not a stinging sensation. That was my shoulder on fire.

We do all vaccines for our kids. Except flu, none of us get the flu shots.

I've had updated dtap with each pregnancy. With DC #2, H 1N1 was huge, but I skipped that too. I've never had Gardasil and don't plan to.

DH had to get an additional assortment a few years ago when he began flying internationally.

My opinion is that some diseases are "lifestyle" ones and others are being in public in general ones. We have a highly fluid society. DH can be in five states in a day. People move around a ton. We always vaccinated against any disease we could catch out in public just breathing. We do all the others too, but if we skipped any it would be those lifestyle ones that one catches from sex or needles. It's not like my six month old is gonna shoot up behind a dumpster....

I'm not a fan AT ALL of skipping out in public ones like MMR or Polio. I know flu falls in that category, but it's too hit or miss. Many times they don't get the right strains and it's too much gambling in my opinion.

I had something when I was pregnant - I can't remember which one though. I had TDAP a few years ago and have gotten the flu vaccine every year since my aunt was diagnosed with cancer. I got in the habit after visiting her the two years she was ill.

We live on a farm.  Keeping our tetanus vax up to date is just plain smart.  It usually comes with pertussis and whatever else.

For the past three years we've also gotten the flu shot.  I see no reason not to get it, esp since we're around pretty vulnerable people (parents and sometimes sick kids at school - cancer, etc) and we both work with the public.

I had all the usual shots in the 70's & early 80's as a kid and entering the military.  I'm honestly not sure if there are others I should be concerned about at this point.  I guess I'll soon be old enough for the Shingles vax, but from what I've read, it doesn't work terribly well... Both my mom and dad have had Shingles, so it's possible I should devote some time to learning about it in the near future.

Edited by creekland

I get whatever my doctor recommends. I get the flu shot every year. Some insurance companies think I'm old enough for the pneumonia vaccine. Mine thinks I need to be a few years older. If my doctor recommended it anyway, I'd get it. I recently got the Tdap on my doctor's recommendation. I didn't realize they were suggesting it for people my age, but once I became aware I said by all means, give it to me.

• Like 1

TDaP

Hepatitis- can't remember which letters but I get a couple of them.

Pneumonia

I'm immunocompromised so we are careful to vaccinate for what we can. Ironically, I don't get the flu vaccine because of past reactions.

I also get vaccinations like typhoid depending on where we might travel. I.e. Whatever is recommended for the region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just wondering ... we say vaxes are non-negotiable for our kids, but do the parents of those kids get vaxed (i.e. are they up-to-date)?  If not, what are the reasons?

Is it hard to get vaxes as adults or to get them covered by insurance?  I don't know, I'm in the "can't remember my last shot" camp.

Until I went back to school for a health profession, I just did flu and tetanus. Both have been covered by every insurance policy I've ever had as an adult.

When I went back to school, I had to get Hep B and DTaP. I also had to get titers to prove immunity to MMR and chicken pox. The shots were covered by insurance but the titers were not.

TDAP, MMR, and flu for sure. Because you can pass those to unvaccinated infants before you even know you are sick and your childhood immunity from the previous vaxs has worn off. I also got hep b because I worked in a healthcare setting even though I'm too old for it to be offered when I w as a child. My best friend from school died a year and a half ago from the flu. She was 42 and not vaccinated. I will get shingles and pneumonia when I am old enough.

Edited by MotherGoose

I keep my own vaccinations up to date. DH travels extensively internationally, so I think it's wise for the kids and I to be up to date.

- signed the pregnant woman whose husband is traveling to multiple areas with Zika risk during the next six months. Ugh.

• Like 1

It is approved for 50+ and recommended for 60+.

I will be getting at 50. 

That might just offset the "now it's time for your colonoscopy" news at age 50. I thought I would have to wait until 60. Yay!

Had shingles in high school and have zero interest in repeating the experience. It was more annoying than anything else, but I have heard it's so much worse with age.

I have gotten flu shots most years, and I have up-to-date Tdap. I really don't want the "100 day cough" if I can help it, and I do see a chiropractor who has a lot of patients that don't vax. It's made me a bit paranoid about covering the big stuff. 

Oh, I had an MMR as an adult--something about needing a booster around the time I went to college or maybe the one I got as a kid wasn't particularly effective? Can't remember why. 

If I traveled out of the country, I would get whatever is recommended.

I get all vaccines except for Chicken Pox/Shingles. For some reason that vaccine has been killing people with a history of Lymphoma. However a new vaccine is coming out that isn't live, so I might be able to get that... depending on what my oncologist says. 

I should also say I have never got the gardisil either. I did get my second MMR. It was required to go to college in NY state. 

Flu shot every year, tetanus/Tdap as recommended, had an MMR booster in my 20s, plan to get the shingles one once the new one from GSK comes out this fall, as it is supposed to be much more effective. I had chicken pox twice as a kid and have no interest in dealing with shingles! I need to check about the pneumonia one, as I can't remember for sure whether I've had it yet.

Edited by KarenNC

ETA:

None of our tetanus shots are up to date. Being accident prone, I'll probably check if the nearby walkable Safeway or CVS pharmacy has that service as we have to drive to our general practitioner. [/url]

I wouldn't worry to much about being up to date on tetanus. The latest research shows it last 30 years rather than 10.

https://news.ohsu.edu/2016/03/22/study-shows-tetanus-shots-needed-every-30-years-not-every-10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is approved for 50+ and recommended for 60+.

I will be getting at 50. 

Unfortunately, some health insurance companies will not cover the shingles vaccine until you are 60.  Ours is one.  Out of pocket it would cost me several hundred dollars!

I have had all the childhood vaccines recommended when I was a child in the dark ages (including smallpox, which is not even administered anymore).  I haven't updated them, but I do get tetanus every 10 years, and for the first year ever, I got a flu shot last year and will continue that this year.