Menu

How terrible is this really?

ktgrok

Keeping in mind, I'm probably going to do it anyway, lol. 

Here is the issue: Thank you cards. I hate writing them, for multiple reasons, including how many steps are involved (go buy cards, write note, look up address, write address, buy stamps, etc etc) and I hate handwriting of any kind...I am positive I have Dysgraphia. (straight A's in elementary other than C's in handwriting...being forced to copy out of the dictionary is an attempt to improve handwriting, in a single sentence a letter B will look different every time it is written, etc etc. And it physically hurts to write.) And I probably have executive function issues. So ...'m bad about it. 

But...now I have all my addresses in Postable, online. And I can pick a pretty card, type in what I want to say, they print it in font that looks like real handwriting done in pen, and mail it for me. I can do it all in one step. It's life changing. I don't have to write by hand (which means no embarrassment about how my handwriting looks worse than my 7 year old child's, and no pain), other people can actually read it, and it gets done promptly instead of sitting on my desk for an embarrassingly long time. 

So, that's what I do. 

But how terrible is it? How much behind my back talking should I expect by people horrified that I didn't handwritten my thank you cards? (if they can tell...anyone that knows my actual handwriting can tell I'm sure, others probably not). 

• Like 4

If you are writing a personal note, great. If it just says "thanks," as a recipient I would wonder what the point was.

Oh, definitely writing a personal note. Same as if I had handwritten it, except I can type it and have them print it out in a font that looks like handwriting. And they automatically put the address on the envelope, I just have to click on the name in my online address book. 

• Like 11

Thank you all! I've been feeling guilty each time, but the truth is, it will NOT get done, or at least not promptly. And will look like chicken scratch, sigh. 

Yay for modern technology!

(and if you have kid with dysgraphia that hate writing thank you cards, maybe check out Postable. It's not cheap, but worth it to me.)

• Like 6

Same here.  It's still a personal note.  How much does the service cost?  And could it work for normal correspondence, or does it have to be a card-type thing.

Well..it isn't cheap :)  I did 6 cards and with postage it was $23. But...now they are taken care of less than 24 hours after the baby shower, which is priceless :)

I THINK it is just cards, not like regular stationary. 

• Like 4

if you are typing out the message you want to say vs a pre-printed whatever from some nameless card writer, it should be fine.  and I'm someone who has more respect for actual written cards than preprinted whatevers.

today, most people will be grateful just to have a written acknowledgement.

I have a large stock of blank cards that can be used for anything.

• Like 1

I think thank you notes are important, so that's where my perspective comes from (just FYI).

What you're doing sounds just fine.

You're acknowledging the gifts with a personal note rather than some generic "hey, thanks for the gift." That's top-notch.

You've found a way to work around the difficulties you have with actual handwriting.

This tool makes it easy for you to get the task done in a timely way.

Looks like a win all around.

• Like 6

Miss Manners says an email thank you is perfectly fine.

Also, for what it is worth, given a choice between a fancy e-card and an email, I prefer to receive...the simple email.

Have at it!

Beyond the call of duty, IMO. Gifts opened in the presence of the giver do not need to a second written thank you note.

Yes!!  If i look you in the face and say "thank you!" that is all that should be necessary!  If it was a shower or party that a gift was given and the giver was not present, then absolutely send a card or text. I really really dislike this expectation of a handwritten card.  I have taught my kids to seek out the gift giver and say thank you and be GENUINE.  A note is a last resort.

I give gifts for the benefit of the receiver.  I expect NOTHING in return.  I do appreciate a "thank you" in person(the next time I see them) or a quick text.

Although, I am the kind of person that would rather you call or text or email me on my birthday.  My sister in law used to write out her birthday cards for the year in January and put them in a folder sorted by month.  That worked for her.  And she spent a fortune.  She would address and stamp them all at one time and grab the month's cards and pop them in the mail.  I did not appreciate that as much as a quick call.

I always tell people whom I give a gift to that part of the gift is that they do NOT write me a thank you note.

My favorite notes are texts after lunches or playdates just saying, "Wow!  We had a great time! Thanks for inviting us!"

There are a couple people in our lives that require a card no matter what.  We might spend a day with them and after we get home, we have to write a thank you for the great time and the icecream etc.  We just do it.

• Like 1

Yes!!  If i look you in the face and say "thank you!" that is all that should be necessary!  If it was a shower or party that a gift was given and the giver was not present, then absolutely send a card or text. I really really dislike this expectation of a handwritten card.  I have taught my kids to seek out the gift giver and say thank you and be GENUINE.  A note is a last resort.

I give gifts for the benefit of the receiver.  I expect NOTHING in return.  I do appreciate a "thank you" in person(the next time I see them) or a quick text.

Although, I am the kind of person that would rather you call or text or email me on my birthday.  My sister in law used to write out her birthday cards for the year in January and put them in a folder sorted by month.  That worked for her.  And she spent a fortune.  She would address and stamp them all at one time and grab the month's cards and pop them in the mail.  I did not appreciate that as much as a quick call.

I always tell people whom I give a gift to that part of the gift is that they do NOT write me a thank you note.

My favorite notes are texts after lunches or playdates just saying, "Wow!  We had a great time! Thanks for inviting us!"

There are a couple people in our lives that require a card no matter what.  We might spend a day with them and after we get home, we have to write a thank you for the great time and the icecream etc.  We just do it.

:iagree:  If I give someone a gift and they open it and thank me right there, I certainly don't expect or require a thank you card. It seems redundant and I'm sure the gift-receiver has better things to do with his or her time and money. It almost seems a little insecure to get miffed in a situation like that. "But they only thanked me ONCE for the present!"

• Like 4

What I do, is write them by hand, attach a stamp, address the envelopes....And then find them when we move, a year later. Then recycle them. See what a leg up you have in this world?

Neat service. 

I don't see why it would be a problem. Maybe with Great-Great-Aunt Martha who doesn't like anything, but whatever. Nothing will be good enough for her. 

Adding this to my list of resources. I love writing personal notes, but when I was suffering from carpal tunnel, I just couldn't. This would have allowed me to still send cards. 

Yes!!  If i look you in the face and say "thank you!" that is all that should be necessary!  If it was a shower or party that a gift was given and the giver was not present, then absolutely send a card or text. I really really dislike this expectation of a handwritten card. 

I would be TOTALLY happy with that.  I was always taught that especially after showers or parties you always send thank yous no matter what.  I would be happy not to, I just don't want to seem rude.

We've had a lot of graduation parties recently, and typically gifts are cash or gift cards in an envelope.  I like knowing that the person actually received it, because I'm always a little nervous it will get thrown away or lost in the card.

When I give a gift, I just like to know that it was received. 

Sounds great to me.  :)  I thought you were going to say you weren't going to send the cards ... once it took me almost a year to get it together and send ty cards, and I still feel kinda guilty 25 years later.  So ... what you describe sounds like a great solution.  Phooey on anyone who talks behind your back.  :)

• Like 1

Well..it isn't cheap :)  I did 6 cards and with postage it was $23. But...now they are taken care of less than 24 hours after the baby shower, which is priceless :)

I agree that is priceless!  I'm thinking it could add a few years back to your life over the course of a lifetime :-) 

• Like 1

I think your plan is fantastic.   I can count on one hand the number of thank you notes I've received in the past several years for gifts we've given, so any personal acknowledgement is above-and-beyond by those standards.   

The year I told my kids that they could text or email (rather than writing longhand) their grandparents and other extended family to thank them for Christmas gifts, and those texts were DONE within 24 hours of opening the gift without me having to nag them to get them done, was also PRICELESS.

• Like 1

Absolutely brilliant. I took a look, and they mail from the US. So, $1.15 for each stamp to Canada, $3.50 a card, add 30% exchange... $6.18. By the time I remember to get a birthday card, put a stamp on and mail it, it's not really that much more. And to have it all done, for the whole year? Birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day. Just brilliant!

I think it's a fantastic idea!!! Personally, I *hate* the thank you card etiquette surrounding babies and death. When you have a new baby on the way or already here . . . or just lost an immediate family member, to me, all social etiquette requirements should go out the window. 

Do it. In fact, you can probably get a lot of it done ahead of time! If anyone gives you any negativity about it, then they are just jerks, IMHO.

ENJOY your new baby. Don't sweat the small stuff (or the small people).

• Like 1

I wouldn't think twice.

But I wouldn't think twice to not get a thank you note at all from a new mom. They're busy enough, they can just thank me when I hand them the gift, or shoot me a text or whatever. I know, I have all kinds of radical and shocking ideas. ;)