Menu

Do you know this word without looking it up

poppy

379 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know what vámonos means?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe?

If someone said to you the single word vámonos (without particularly inflection) would you understand what that person was indicating?

I'm not asking if you can diagram it in a sentence... just, would you know what to do / get the gist of it.

Yes, I know it though I hear vamos more & I'm not sure what the diff is exactly but I gather they're similar. 

Thanks Colombian Zumba instructors :)  I can sort of conjugate bailar a bunch of ways from singing along in Zumba too LOL 

Sadly I'm not coordinated enough to take Zumba, but I learned the word bailamos from that Enrique Iglesias song back in '99 or so.  I still love that song!  :D

I've picked up a *few* Spanish words and phrases from living in New Mexico, and yes vámanos is a pretty common one if it penetrated even my stubborn brain.

• Like 1

I checked yes, and then checked myself and was glad I didn't have to change my vote.  I knew the root from 3rd grade Spanish and figured out the ending based on the years of teaching / learning Latin during homeschooling.  :0)  Hawt dawg!

Yes, took Spanish in high school but I think it's more from cartoons.  Who was the mouse that was really fast from the 70s/80s?  He would say it all the time.  And yeah, Dora.

Speedy Gonzalas(sp) maybe from the 70's I was born in '67 and remember it from a cartoon from my childhood.

• Like 2

Yes. It was one of the first words I learned in my Spanish book in high school in 1970. The dialogue included in the book used that word.

Also in the dialogue - 

Donde esta la biblioteca? - Community (tv show) has it right. It's one of the first phrases taught in a beginning Spanish class. Or at least it was 40+ years ago.  :)

Que hora es?

Albondigas seguro - In response to a question about what the school cafeteria would be serving for lunch. I don't remember how that question was phrased.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I took French, but still could imagine what it must mean. But now that it's been mentioned, I do remember hearing it in Dora many years ago, and Speedy Gonzales did say that also.

I'm not sure of the exact translation, but my dad (Chicago-born of Irish background) would say it while trying to get us out of the house when we were kids. We were usually running late for church :-)

Yep!  I use it all the time.  Perhaps it is because I minored in Spanish in college.  I've said it to my kids since they were little, hoping that peppering my speech with Spanish phrases would help them want to learn.  One day, my oldest (then 18) stopped me and asked "So mom ... what does vámonos mean?.  You  say it all the time."  I could not believe that he had not figured it out in 18 years of me saying it (this is the kid who took Latin in high school and minored in Classics in college for fun.)  I asked him if he recalled when I would say it.  He said, "Yeah. When we are going somewhere."  Then he did the facepalm and figured it out.  Dd is in Spanish 3 in high school and only recently figured it out.  All this time she thought it was a word I made up.

I had a multilingual teacher in high school who used to hurry us along by saying (please forgive the likely horrible spelling): "Vamanos, allons-y, basta, schnell!"

My Dad did this...plus a few more. Basically every language he could say it in, he did. I had not thought about it in a very long time until this thread. He would also do it for washing hands, and when he answered the phone. There is another one, but I don't remember what it was. I say vamanos a lot with my girls lol

• Like 1