space bars

gardenmom5

keyboard space bar  

106 members have voted

1. 1. which thumb do you use?

• right
    • left
    • I don't use a space bar

Right ,  and I'm left handed. It's not instinct, it is "correct" as I was taught.

I took typing class in high school.  That was ....maybe  25 years ago? I'm 41.  So eons ago from a technology perspective. I don't know if kids still take keyboarding.

• Like 2

I was wondering if they taught typing different these days. 

I really like my laptop - BUT​, the space bar hangs to the left.  it is awkward to hit it with my right thumb, and easy to miss.  I was taught to use my right thumb.  (mid-70's, electric typewriter).  1ds mentioned something about gamers using their left thumb because their right hand is always using other keys.   I didn't plan on a gaming   computer, but it met the requirements without having to order one.  (I had a bad experience attempting to order a laptop last year.  ended up cancelling.)

I can concentrate on using my left thumb, but I'm learning how to type all over again.

eta: I just noticed it has an alt-key and a ctrl-key on BOTH sides of the space bar.  so, two sets.  I'd rather have one set and a normal space-bar.

Edited by gardenmom5

Right ,  and I'm left handed. It's not instinct, it is "correct" as I was taught.

I took typing class in high school.  That was ....maybe  25 years ago? I'm 41.  So eons ago from a technology perspective. I don't know if kids still take keyboarding.

yes- keyboarding is almost a requirement since they use computers in class.

Ambidextrous and I use my left thumb out of habit. Was taught to use either thumb for spacebar on a manual typewriter.

. I don't know if kids still take keyboarding.

Keyboarding was part of California's technology standards from Kindergarten before common core. It is probably still in there as only LA and Math were altered.

My oldest love the excuse to walk to computer lab for keyboarding when he was in public school K.

I can't vote. I use both, although mostly the right. Two years of typing, two years of shorthand, back in the day when it was real typing and not keyboarding (my first year typing class had manual typewriters with *blank keys*, so we had to learn to touch-type).

• Like 1

Whyyyy did I read the title to this thread as "space bears"? And also...why did I think it sounded really cool and that was the reason I clicked on it. *smh* 

P.S. I use my right thumb. 

Hahaha

I correctly read it as "space bars" and clicked on it because I felt like experiencing less excitement at that moment. 

I use my right thumb too, but I had to type something out before i realized it. I do a lot of one handed typing b/c of nursing and for some reason thought I normally used both thumbs to hit the space bar. (How weird would that be though, lol.)

ETA: I meant both thumbs at the same time. LOL.

Edited by Dust
  • Like 1

I'm typing this so I can see which I use more, and it appears that I use the left much more (I'm right-handed). It's interesting that you asked this as I would never have even thought of this and certainly wouldn't have thought I'd use the left almost exclusively.

Testing Testing Testing

Seems I don't use my thumb -- use my right pointy finger most of the time. (I'm a righty)  (And yes, I touch type (without looking at the keyboard). I just taught myself doing MUSH and MUSE type games. It did turn out to transfer to "split" type keyboards -- after less than a day of getting used to it.)

Okay evidently sometimes I use my left thumb too.

(or maybe it isn't touch typing and I am seeing out of the periphery of my eyes? Though I am totally not aware of being able to see the keys at all. And I can type looking off into space (to the side. Trying to avoid the periphery possibility) and not at the monitor at all as well.)

Edited by vonfirmath

Whyyyy did I read the title to this thread as "space bears"? And also...why did I think it sounded really cool and that was the reason I clicked on it. *smh* 

P.S. I use my right thumb. 

When I was in college, this one guy in our group of friends broke his ankle by tripping over a pine cone. That was a really pathetic story, though, so we started embellishing it, and eventually he had broken his ankle saving the world from a space bear invasion. 

I later used those same space bears as the villains in a NaNoWriMo novel.

/tangent

• Like 4

Right. I do fine motor skills with my left hand and gross motor skills with my right side. I do not remember if I was "taught" a correct hand to use when typing.

I also thought we were going to be discussing something out of this world...

Keyboarding was discontinued in our school district years ago. The idea is that students get enough practice on their devices. We have some pretty unique keyboarding styles.  Most young 'uns are quick, though.

THis was certainly true for me. I never learned keyboarding in HS. But I picked it up rapidly as soon as I started typing everyday. Its not the "Mavis Bacon" method of typing. But it is very fast and accurate.  Surprises my co-workers I can type without even looking at what I am doing.