Menu

Any good shows that you watched recently.

Prairie~Phlox

We thought the first season of Cuckoo was hilarious (Netflix), if you don't mind language. Andy Samberg was sooo good. (He isn't in the second season and it's so not the same)

Flaked (also Netflix) was pretty good. The character development started a bit slow but by the end we were hoping another season will come out. It isn't a comedy. It was nice to see Will Arnett in a serious role with good writing. I feel like often he isn't given given anything to work with.

Kimmie Schmidt and Silicon Valley are coming back in April! :)

Edited by MEmama

Depends on your preferences, what do you like to watch now?

My current favorite (besides Doctor Who which I am unabashedly completely obsessed with) is Arrow, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow, which all kind of go together or can be watched alone. Along the same lines, Jessica Jones was excellent and we recently started Daredevil. All on Netflix except Legends and the current seasons of Arrow and Flash. And of course I always recommend Doctor Who, which is now available through Amazon Prime.

I also like Grey's Anatomy, Switched at Birth, and Downton Abbey.

Ok, prefer Comcast/Xfinity, we have Netflix, but I have to watch it downstairs & I prefer to watch tv in my bedroom in the evening. I like Grey's Anatomy. Married at First Sight, Game of Thrones, Doenton Abby, Mr. Selfridge, When Calls the Heart, Cedar Cove. Stuff like that. Pretty Eclectic, we also watch The Big Bang Theory & used to watch a few more sitcoms.

Via Amazon Prime:

Man in High Castle

Sopranos

Suits

Great British Bake-Off

The Americans

(some episodes of) This American Life

My 8 and 10 YOs enjoy Gortimer Gibbons and Just Add Magic (Personally, I think the former a better show.).  The hubs enjoyed Doc Martin. 

Edited by yucabird

You me and the apocalypse is surprisingly excellent so far.

I was worried it'd be an awful anti-Catholic thing, but I don't think it is. It's not all docudrama accurate by any stretch either, but I never expect that.

I was pleasantly surprised as well with this show.

Another show that I have enjoyed is Lucifer. So far the writing on it is good. (she says 4 shows into season 1)

• Like 1

Master of None is my favorite show in a long, long time!!

Also like You're The Worst, Fresh off The Boat, Quantico, Brooklyn 99, Greys, Blackish, Cuckoo.

I haven't watched it yet, but there is a documentary called "The Wolfpack" about a family of ... 8???... homeschooled children who were essentially prisoners in their own home for over a decade. Dad didn't let the kids leave the house, like, ever. One day one boy had the nerve to leave their home and walk around the block. He happened upon a film student who learned about their circumstances, and the documentary was born. It chronicles their lives as they learn how to navigate society.

I enjoyed it. It became a little tedious though.

The Detectorists - quirky, understated humor but very rewarding.

We liked this too.  Toby Jones is also in Capital, which we also enjoyed (the story of one street in London).

The Night Manager (adaptation of a John le Carre novel) is just finishing on telly here, and I believe is coming to AMC in the US soon.  Violent in bits (and there's some sex); beautiful scenery.  Good performances from Tom Hollander (from Rev), Hugh Laurie, and Olivia Colman (from Broadchurch and Rev).  Oh and Tom Hiddleston, who is also easy on the eyes.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

The People vs OJ Simpson is completely enthralling. The casting and acting is superb.

The Americans. Probably the best show on TV right now, imho.

Better Call Saul- surprisingly good. I don't know what I was expecting, but I am loving the very careful scripting and unique filming choices. It has many of the elements I loved about Breaking Bad.

• Like 1

We don't watch TV, so no idea how that works.  But here are a few series that I liked.  They might be older than what you're wanting though.

Orphan Black

Grimm

Indian Summers

Legends (with Sean Bean)

The Killing

Home Fires

Code

Bletchley Circle

Longmire

Wallander

Major Crimes

Call the Midwife

Mr. Selfridge

Well, that was more than a few.  Guess I need to get a life ...

Okay, I have to ask- how do you know you like these if you haven't watched them?

Repeating others, with more detail:

FYI , when recommending Poldark to friends, I type it as PolDARK . . . as a warning.  It reminds me of the Bates/Anna subplot in Downton Abbey, just to non-spoiler warn you.  And yes, Season 2 is coming.  And yes, #PoldarkAbs was a hashtag when the series came out. 

I am a big Madam Secretary fan.  She (Tea Leoni) and husband (Tim Daly) are proving that keeping world peace and parenting three teens are equally challenging jobs.  This is one show that I'm actually in the target audience demographic.  :)

DH heard about a show called The Affair. I resisted at first, because I hate stories like that. But it's really, really good. It's just good storytelling, very suspenseful and compelling.

I wanted to like it but I found it really hard to follow. I like the idea of it, but it was just too confusing.

A couple I have not seen mentioned: The Killing, a Netflix original similar to Broadchurch; and Luther, a British detective series. Luther is really, really good, but it can be gory and violent.

I also loved Foyle's War, Bletchley Circle, Bomb Girls and Longmire.

• Like 1