Menu

How many loads of laundry do you do in the average week or month?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I'm just wrapping up an experiment (bought a new, more expensive laundry detergent and wanted to see how long a bottle lasts), and I was shocked to discover that I've done 31 loads of laundry (all full loads) in the past 28 days  :svengo: Is that insane? Before this, if I'd had to guess, I'd have said maybe 4-5 loads a week, which I still think is a lot for a family of four. But 7?! 

Some possible reasons: We're not small people, so we don't have small clothes; we don't use disposable paper products (except TP), so there's at least two full loads of rags/dishtowels/napkins in the mix; and I did wash our (DH's and my) bedding more often than usual this month. Still, though! DH and I both re-wear jeans a couple of times, he wears dress clothes to work, I wash towels once a week. I think, now that's it's cooler, I need to make sure the kids are re-wearing some things. 

Is 6-7 loads a week for a four-person household outrageous, or is that pretty normal? No wonder our water bill is so high!

12-15 a week. However, we use cloth diapers so that's 3-4 a week. Household towels are another load. Sheets and blankets are 4 loads. So that's 8-9 loads a week before even looking at clothes. I have a toddler who goes through 3 outfits most days, and my 5yo refuses to rewear clothes and often goes through 2 outfits a day plus jammies. DH changes as soon as he gets home so he also wears 2 outfits a day.

Sigh. I hate laundry.

• Like 1

It seems normal to me. If I do two loads a day on weekdays, I can keep up. That's about ten loads a week for a family of four and dd does her own clothes, so really 3. Sheets are a whole load. Towels are a couple more. If anyone works out, that's two outfits a day; three if you count pajamas. I'm convinced people become nudists just to avoid some laundry.

• Like 7

I'd say close to 15 loads a week. We cloth diaper our twins, and also use mostly cloth cleaning and personal care items around the house. My older kids are messy and DH is not a re-wearer. DH would probably only use a towel once as well for himself or one of the children if he's supervising bath/shower time, if I didn't rescue them from the hamper on a fairly regular basis.

ETA: We are 2 adults and 4 children. 

• Like 1

We have two large adults and one small child. For over a year now, I've tried to do a load of laundry a day, though that load wasn't always clothes (could be towels, sheets, etc). That kept me nicely caught up with laundry when we had an American washer and dryer. Now that we have a tiny European model, I do 2-3 loads a day, and that's often just clothes. If I want to wash sheets or towels, I may do 4-5 loads in a day. (With these machines, one fitted sheet is a load; two or three shirts is a load ... I miss American appliances.)

• Like 1

We have two large adults and one small child. For over a year now, I've tried to do a load of laundry a day, though that load wasn't always clothes (could be towels, sheets, etc). That kept me nicely caught up with laundry when we had an American washer and dryer. Now that we have a tiny European model, I do 2-3 loads a day, and that's often just clothes. If I want to wash sheets or towels, I may do 4-5 loads in a day. (With these machines, one fitted sheet is a load; two or three shirts is a load ... I miss American appliances.)

Ugh! That's horrible.

• Like 5

I easily do 7 or 8 in our large front loader. We are only a family of 4 but we have 2 extra kids here PT and one is a bedwetter (who will not wear pull-ups and who can always manage to miss the bed pads, I swear).  We do a lot of their laundry.  Also, we live in a wet muddy location and the boys play outside, rain or shine.  This means that pants average 1 wear in the fall and winter.  

• Like 1

Now that we have a tiny European model, I do 2-3 loads a day, and that's often just clothes. If I want to wash sheets or towels, I may do 4-5 loads in a day. (With these machines, one fitted sheet is a load; two or three shirts is a load ... I miss American appliances.)

Wow, really?  I put queen sized (in US terms) fitted sheet, four pillowcases and a duvet cover in as one load in my European front-loader.  The dryer would take all that too, but I tend to dry the duvet cover separately because it will eat the other items in the dryer then nothing dries properly.

I do about seven loads a week - we live in the countryside and spend a lot of time outside, so things get muddy.  That being said, I often wear things like jeans for several days if they haven't become muddy.  We rarely wash blankets, as we use duvet covers.

• Like 1

Wow, really?  I put queen sized (in US terms) fitted sheet, four pillowcases and a duvet cover in as one load in my European front-loader.  The dryer would take all that too, but I tend to dry the duvet cover separately because it will eat the other items in the dryer then nothing dries properly.

Maybe our house just has a small one? I don't know. I think the washer could handle more--though it won't rinse properly if I fill it too full--but if I put that much in the dryer, it would take 5 hours to dry (I am not exaggerating!), and still only get to cupboard dry and have to hang for a couple of hours before I could put the sheets back on the bed. Even with just one sheet in there, it takes an hour in the washer, an hour or two in the dryer, then hangs for another hour or two. On days when I wash sheets, I have to do them first, and get an early start, to ensure there's time for them to finish drying before bedtime. I'm looking into buying a second set of sheets just because it's so stressful picking the perfect day to wash them, dry them, line dry them, and get them back on the bed--if I have to go anywhere that day and can't stay on top of the laundry, they won't be ready before bedtime.

I can put my daughter's twin size sheets and pillowcase in one load, but that's because they're not only small; they're thin and made of synthetic fibers (she chose them for the print and doesn't seem to notice that they're not particularly comfortable). Our sheets are made of material more like my husband's dress shirts--thick, high thread count, luxurious cotton sheets.

Then again, maybe I just don't know how to use the machines properly. I read the instruction manual and asked for advice on a Facebook group full of Americans living overseas. The consensus was to do small loads of similar fabrics, to clean all the lint filters in the dryer in between each load, and to empty the water reservoir in the dryer between each load. If you have any additional advice, I'd love to hear it! Maybe by PM, though, so this thread isn't derailed further :o

• Like 1

Six to seven loads a week seems low to me.

We're a family of four (when oldest DS is home from college). I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to laundry and sorting things and especially about not overloading the washer and dryer.  I've watched other people do laundry, and I'm firmly convinced that most people seriously overload machines, which probably causes premature wear and tear on the machines and on their clothes, and results in the clothes not getting as clean as they could.  Not to mention more wrinkled than necessary.

I do two loads of towels/socks/underwear a week and each bed gets it's own load.  That's five loads a week right there.  Add in a few more loads for regular clothes and at least one load a week for active wear and we're probably up to ten or so loads a week.  Plus I save up dish towels, cleaning rags and pet laundry until I have enough for a separate load each of those.  But I have plenty of all of that stuff, so it's more like one load a month for each of them than one a week.

• Like 1

Seems perfectly normal to me. 

I haven't actually counted, but my guess is 5-7 large loads per week.  We have a large load machine too.

BTW:  I read a report many years ago that the recommended amount of laundry detergent for a load is too much, it was the amount set by the soap manufactures.  They recommend using half.  I use about 1/2 and have for years and my clothing is clean and smells good.  

• Like 2

Gulp, normal here. I have two teen two boys in athletics, one of whom also plays hard at break time at school and the other who dresses to the nines, so both go through 2 outfits each day. Their only re-wearables are Sunday church clothes. DH and I rewear jeans, slacks, and sweaters, but not other clothing. And in our humid area, bath towels and DS15's daily swim towels are only good for a couple of days/ hanging before too musty.

• Like 2

I do 6 loads of clothing per week. Three loads for bath/kitchen towels and bath mats; one of these is a bleach load so it includes undershirts and socks that need whitening. Another 2-3 loads for bedsheets, but I have a large front-loader so I can wash two sets of linens at one time. In a normal week I do 11-12 loads per week or 44-48 in a 28 day period. We have six people, two adults, two teen/tweens (both my size), and two toddlers.

• Like 1

Right now it's 4 loads a week with four people, a small washing machine, and someone else who takes the sheets and towels.

A few months ago when I had a larger washer that was at least twice the size of the one I have now, it was still about 4-5 times a week, but I had to add in the sheets and towels and cleaning stuff and we had five people around.

• Like 1

We do re-wear some, especially jeans and dh's work clothes (dress pants and button downs), I'll wear the same sweats and t-shirt to bed a couple days.  The kids tend to wear their clothes just once.

If I'm keeping up on things, each week:

one load of whites - all undergarments and towels

one load of my delicates - work sweaters and my good bras

one load of the kids clothes - which includes their sheets

two loads of "colors" - which is all of mine and dh's clothes except my delicates and whites.  All jeans, tshirts, sweats, work clothes, etc.

one load of our sheets and a few blankets (maybe not EVERY week)

We do have a large front-loader so some of these loads are pretty big.

• Like 2

Is 6-7 loads a week for a four-person household outrageous, or is that pretty normal? No wonder our water bill is so high!

Before I read your post, I stopped to mentally estimate how many we do per week (we are also 4) and I came up with about 7.  We re-wear clothes a lot, and re-use towels a lot, too.  I also change bedding every week (nighttime sweaty people, around here), so that adds.  But I think at 7, you're right about on target.  There's only so much you can do to cut down.  Luckily, we have our own well, so a water bill isn't an issue (it costs something to run the pump, but not as much as municipal water, by far).

• Like 1

I do 5 loads a week and that's just me and dh.

1 load whites

2 loads darks

1 load sheets

1 load towels

I throw kitchen towels and napkins in with whatever I'm doing at the time.

Then ds does his own laundry.  He may only do it once a week.  His responsibility.  I don't notice unless he tries to horn in on my time.  :-)

Both girls are off to school.

• Like 1

I think about 50 million.

Actually, I would say about one a day on average for clothes, plus a couple a month for sheets and such.  It isn't even, especially in summer/fall when I'll often do multiple loads on good drying days.  In winter and spring I dry things hanging inside and so I have to do a load every day or I get backed up.

• Like 1

The laundry threads always have me scratching my head.  We are a family of three.....two into athletics with the normal laundry that comes with it.  We also use ALL cloth for what would normally be disposable products.  I do 2-3 loads a week.  One is all cleaning/cooking rags and whites, one is all non-white clothing, and the third (which happens every two weeks) are the sheets and towels.  I have a normal top-loader and probably do overload it as someone above suggested.  It is 20+ years old with no sign of problem so the wear-and-tear thing was no  problem for me.  I hang laundry outside for half the year and use our also-20+-year-old dryer for the other half.  Everything comes out clean and as wrinkle-free as I can expect.  There will be an extra load after something like a camping trip or houseguests.

• Like 1

I'm just wrapping up an experiment (bought a new, more expensive laundry detergent and wanted to see how long a bottle lasts), and I was shocked to discover that I've done 31 loads of laundry (all full loads) in the past 28 days  :svengo: Is that insane? Before this, if I'd had to guess, I'd have said maybe 4-5 loads a week, which I still think is a lot for a family of four. But 7?! 

Some possible reasons: We're not small people, so we don't have small clothes; we don't use disposable paper products (except TP), so there's at least two full loads of rags/dishtowels/napkins in the mix; and I did wash our (DH's and my) bedding more often than usual this month. Still, though! DH and I both re-wear jeans a couple of times, he wears dress clothes to work, I wash towels once a week. I think, now that's it's cooler, I need to make sure the kids are re-wearing some things. 

In our four-person family, four or five loads a week was the norm. In fact, it's still the norm for just Mr. Ellie and me: one load of all-cotton whites (undies, wash cloths, dish cloths, dish towels--I only use all-cotton white wash cloths etc.); one load of clothing (Mr. Ellie's and mine altogether); one load of towels; one load of sheets. There will be an extra load the weeks that I wash bath mats and kitchen throw rugs.

• Like 1

OK, I feel better...sort of! Given the tiny washers/dryers I hear about, I'm certain we're doing far more laundry than many Europeans, at least. What are we doing differently, I wonder? Are we re-wearing less? DH and I re-wear jeans for several days unless they get dirty/sweaty/spilled on, and he'll often re-wear casual shirts, but he seems to be a fairly stinky guy, so I don't worry about that. I seem to manage to spill food on myself daily (there are lots of books on these shelves, IYKWIM) or splatter myself with oil whenever I cook dinner, and both DD13 and I wear natural deodorant, so by the end of a day, re-wearing for the next day isn't usually feasible. I wash blankets rarely, because we use top sheets and/or duvet covers, and I don't wash the kids' sheets more than once every few weeks because they just don't need it more often unless it's high summer here. I do use tablecloths, though, to hide our sad dining table, so there's an extra thing, I guess. And DD10 throws EVERYTHING into her hamper, whether it's been worn for a minute or a week. I really need to get her out of the habit of that, but getting her to re-fold clothes is like pulling teeth. 

OK, I'm going to have to wrok this a bit. I guess it's good I'm already analyzing the laundry because of the detergent switchover. Which reminds me of another question I've been wanting to ask. I'll have to spin that off. 

That would drive me crazy! Tiny loads of wash feel so inefficient. Ugh!

• Like 1

The laundry threads always have me scratching my head.  We are a family of three.....two into athletics with the normal laundry that comes with it.  We also use ALL cloth for what would normally be disposable products.  I do 2-3 loads a week.  One is all cleaning/cooking rags and whites, one is all non-white clothing, and the third (which happens every two weeks) are the sheets and towels.  I have a normal top-loader and probably do overload it as someone above suggested.  It is 20+ years old with no sign of problem so the wear-and-tear thing was no  problem for me.  I hang laundry outside for half the year and use our also-20+-year-old dryer for the other half.  Everything comes out clean and as wrinkle-free as I can expect.  There will be an extra load after something like a camping trip or houseguests.

It has me scratching my head too! I can't imagine where all the laundry comes from! I don't accept this. It's going to drive me nuts. It's also possible that this month was an outlier because I was observing the wash to keep an eye on the performance of the new detergent, so maybe I was finding extra things to wash? Oh, and I did have to re-wash a stained load because the first wash didn't get the stains out, so I rewashed and soaked overnight (that worked). I don't know. Now I'm going to need a whiteboard in the laundry room :lol:

• Like 1

I do 1 load of clothes/cleaning rags (unless they're really gross)/cloth napkins/table cloths daily. Basically, everything used day before goes into the washer and cleans. Yes, I probably overload it, but it works, so I'm good with it. I also do 1-2 loads of sheets weekly (3 kids' beds = 2 loads, master =1 load), 1 load of bath towels weekly, and monthly 1 load of rugs. 

So it comes to about 10 loads weekly for a family of five.

There are 6 of us.  4 are adult sized, 2 are medium sized.  I do 3, sometimes 4, loads of laundry a week.  Those are big loads and include clothes for two adults and 2 kids, towels, sheets, etc.  The adult sized teenagers do their own laundry.  They usually do a load each every 7-10 days.

It has me scratching my head too! I can't imagine where all the laundry comes from! I don't accept this. It's going to drive me nuts. It's also possible that this month was an outlier because I was observing the wash to keep an eye on the performance of the new detergent, so maybe I was finding extra things to wash? Oh, and I did have to re-wash a stained load because the first wash didn't get the stains out, so I rewashed and soaked overnight (that worked). I don't know. Now I'm going to need a whiteboard in the laundry room :lol:

My guess is the 10 yo, ha ha!  My 12 yo dd is guilty of tossing things into her hamper because it is easier than putting them away.  Despite numerous talks about it, I still almost always find things that I know are not dirty.  I hand them back to her, unfolded.  This has not changed her behavior yet but it does reduce the laundry.  

• Like 1

OK, I feel better...sort of! Given the tiny washers/dryers I hear about, I'm certain we're doing far more laundry than many Europeans, at least. What are we doing differently, I wonder? Are we re-wearing less? DH and I re-wear jeans for several days unless they get dirty/sweaty/spilled on, and he'll often re-wear casual shirts, but he seems to be a fairly stinky guy, so I don't worry about that. I seem to manage to spill food on myself daily (there are lots of books on these shelves, IYKWIM) or splatter myself with oil whenever I cook dinner, and both DD13 and I wear natural deodorant, so by the end of a day, re-wearing for the next day isn't usually feasible. I wash blankets rarely, because we use top sheets and/or duvet covers, and I don't wash the kids' sheets more than once every few weeks because they just don't need it more often unless it's high summer here. I do use tablecloths, though, to hide our sad dining table, so there's an extra thing, I guess. And DD10 throws EVERYTHING into her hamper, whether it's been worn for a minute or a week. I really need to get her out of the habit of that, but getting her to re-fold clothes is like pulling teeth. 

OK, I'm going to have to wrok this a bit. I guess it's good I'm already analyzing the laundry because of the detergent switchover. Which reminds me of another question I've been wanting to ask. I'll have to spin that off. 

That would drive me crazy! Tiny loads of wash feel so inefficient. Ugh!

Well, one thing is that a lot of Europeans have far fewer clothes, fewer sets of towels, and so on.  They probably wear them more days I suppose, but I also have found that having fewer tends to really reduce laundry.  People here change a lot more from what I can see, for different situations.

I do at least two loads of towels a week, then two loads of my own clothes. Ds does two loads of  his clothes, dd usually does one, and dh stuffs everything he owns into one load a week (LOL--). So, just clothes and towels, that's 8. Then we can wash one bed's worth of quilts/sheets in a load (usually change sheets about twice a month), and I wash the various throw rugs and bathroom rugs about one time a month (2 loads if I do them all). THEN there's the load of kitchen towels/dishrags/tablecloth, which is about once a week but sometimes gets combined with personal towels.

Lots of laundry, here. It's really never quite caught up, but I don't have to do other people's laundry in my house, so it's not a burden.

Try using about half the recommended amt of detergent--it's supposed to work just as well, or at least acceptably well. See how much you can cut it down and I'm sure you'll save a lot.

I think I do about eight or nine loads a week for the three of us.

1. one load of white clothes, mostly DH's undershirts and everybody's socks
  2. one load of our sheets
  3. one load of DS's sheets (also queen) and pj's
  4. one load of DS's clothes
  5. one load of my clothes
  6. two loads of DH's clothes (He's a tall, strapping fellow who wears heavy fabrics this time of year)
  7. one small-sized load of purple cleaning cloths, which dry on the line
  8. at least one miscellaneous load like bath mats or all-red clothes

Handkerchiefs, towels and napkins all go in with the clothes or sheets.

I do 3-4 loads for our family of 3. I rarely sort, but just throw everything in together until the washer is full. I'll do a separate load for towels, and I do 1 load of sheets every 2 weeks. I'm sure I overload our machine, but don't really care - I've gotten plenty of use out of my laundry appliances before they go kaput.

There are 8 of us at home right now and I'm probably averaging 20 loads a week.  I hate cold-weather laundry.  My boys are all getting bigger so when the weather gets cold, the clothes get heavier and since they are larger their clothes take up more room in the laundry.  I do clothes on Mon-Wed-Fri, Towels on Tues and Sat. and Sheets on Wed at a minimum.  That doesn't include any delicate loads with sweaters or little girl dresses.

There are 5 of us, and I've got to do some figuring. :D Everyone changes bedding weekly, so that's 5 loads counting the dog's bedding. Once a week I do delicate items, so that makes 6. I probably do towels and cleaning rags 5 times a week, so that's 11. Then another 4 of just regular clothes. Fifteen loads a week.

Yeah, my middle child needs some help in the folding and putting away department. Until I added it up I had no idea how much laundry I do.