Menu

Do you vote in local elections?

JumpyTheFrog

We went to vote today because there were some bond issues for our town. Our mayor was running unopposed so DH and I wrote in our favorite stuffed animal. We also had to vote for town commissioners (no political party affiliations). There were 7 or 8 running, so we went to look up info about them at the last minute. I had some "campaign materials" from three of them already. (I use the term loosely because the postcards they handed out at a festival had almost no specific information about their position on anything.) One of these three (the one running for re-election) had almost nothing on his postcard and didn't have a website. Some people running don't even have signs around town (not that signs give any useful info).

In short, people running for office want us to vote for them without giving us any info. We were voters 307 and 309 for the day, so it looks like the election could be won just by having friends in town vote for you. DH and I were frustrated that there wasn't more info available about the people. He and I each vote for one guy, not because we necessarily agree with him, but rather because he had the most actual info available. This suggests he put slightly more thought into his campaign. We each wrote in for the other two spots. I wrote in Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck. DH wrote in some guy with huge campaign signs from two towns over (we know nothing about him except that he has a good sign budget) and maybe a cartoon character for the other.

TL:DR - Local elections often have people running who don't seem to have a real campaign. No wonder people don't show up to vote. They can't tell the candidates apart.

• Like 2

We always vote in local elections.  Hubby is a Civil Engineer and the rules/policies that are made affect us directly through his job.  Taxes/spending and everything else locally affects us more than pretty much any national election ever would.

PA also has judges up for election during these odd years.

We can find out all we need to know via google or hubby's experience.

I'll admit that I also let him tell me who to vote for in the local elections since he knows the candidates better than I do, but who's in office affects both of us.  I'm usually the one who does more research on other elections.  I tend to have more time.  In either case, we discuss who we like (and why) first.  There have been times our votes have split... but not locally.

There's no way I'd write in a junk answer for something as important as voting.  If I didn't want to vote for a candidate or race I'd just leave it blank.

• Like 1

I've experienced the same thing. While I've never written in cartoon characters, I will leave it blank if needed. I'm not really into politics, and don't get the local paper. I don't have family connections either. So the only information accessible to me is the Internet.

If you can't bother to set up a website, how into this are you? Or if you don't bother to participate in the newspaper interview with the other candidates, to me says this candidate is lazy or has something to hide.

I absolutely vote in my local elections. My town government has a much greater impact on my daily living then the larger elections. I vote in all elections because the women who came before me were jailed, beaten, ridiculed, and so on, so I would have the right to cast my vote.

• Like 6

No. Not until we are out of the military (I did before he joined).

Where I live--I'm not invested and feel like I have no place to meddle. In my home place, where I am NOT  ever going to live again if I can help it, I have no idea what's going on.

We vote in every single one. It never ceases to amaze me how many people kvetch about school bonds, park maintenance, and local business and property taxes but refuse to even show up and vote for the very candidates who have a direct effect on it.

Even worse, local politics is the level where each vote makes THE most difference on your day to day life, and yet the fewest people participate.

Yes, I vote every time.  The poll workers get irked with me when I don't bring the dc.

I missed a few local elections when I was in college.

Also, I know that I missed one presidential election because I didn't know how to do absentee ballot.  (It was my first semester in college, out of state.)  I felt bad for neglecting my civic duty.  I donated blood to make up for it.  :)

• Like 3

I always vote.

When we first moved here sometimes it was hard to get information about our ANC (our neighborhood rep... weird city position) because it's so micro-local. But even those are covered by local neighborhood blogs now. (And our adorable current ANC keeps coming to the door every few weeks to ask everyone's opinion about something - should we have a bike lane on such and such street, should we have the block party such and such day. I like him.) One of the benefits of living in a city - plenty of press about your city council and so forth.

• Like 1

No. Not until we are out of the military (I did before he joined).

Where I live--I'm not invested and feel like I have no place to meddle. In my home place, where I am NOT ever going to live again if I can help it, I have no idea what's going on.

Same here (except the military part). There was a voting station in our apartment complex so it would have been very easy to vote and I am a registered voter, but we just moved to this town a couple of months ago and will leave again in a few months so I don't feel comfortable voting for the school board and city council. I am not invested in this town. Also, I know absolutely nothing about anyone running and don't have a good way to find much out.

I believe that I've missed voting in two elections in my lifetime. Both were small municipal type elections, but neither were blown-off for lack of caring. Both times work emergencies interfered with best intentions.

I still feel a little guilty :D

Bill (voter)

• Like 3

If I don't know the candidates or background on a given referendum issue, I skip that part of the ballot.  

But I vote.  Enough people in enough places struggle, sometimes at significant risk, for the right to participate in governance that I feel... I dunno exactly... presumptuous?  wasteful?  entitled?  in throwing it away.

ETA: Ah, thanks Bill.  I feel guilty throwing my right away.

• Like 2

Not only did I vote today, I attended one of the candidate forums in person and listened to a recording of another.  I also read the section of the local newspaper dedicated to the candidates.

We had to vote for three candidates for town council out of the six who were running.  I could only support two, hence my obsessive study of candidates and their positions in a search for a third.

It was also a pleasure to shake hands with the mayoral candidate for whom I voted while at my polling place. 

Local political decisions are critical and have a direct effect on our daily lives as was pointed out earlier.  Please vote, people.

• Like 3

In short, people running for office want us to vote for them without giving us any info.

This is a problem even in large cities. I live in the city limits of Houston and I couldn't find out much about a bunch of the candidates for at-large city council seats. All I could find out was that they were running but not what their positions were.

I don't understand why you wrote in stuffed animals just because the mayor was running unopposed.  If you think the mayor did a decent job, then wouldn't you just vote for him or her again?  Otherwise, I guess I'd just leave it blank.

Usually in the weeks leading up to the local elections, our local newspaper publishes a big spread, with interviews, views, etc. of each candidate.  Does your newspaper have something like that? 

I guess I understand that small town candidates probably aren't as tech or advertising savvy and might not have a website.  Also, they don't have the financial backing that would enable them to advertise much.  Still, you'd think they would make some kind of effort. 

I do try and vote in our local elections.  I love being part of that whole process.

• Like 1

But at least then you know why you aren't voting for them! It's annoying to not vote for anyone because I don't know anything about them, good or bad.

I know, right? A pretty picture and a few soundbites on a postcard doesn't cut it for me, and websites are often not much better.  :thumbdown:

I don't understand why you wrote in stuffed animals just because the mayor was running unopposed.  If you think the mayor did a decent job, then wouldn't you just vote for him or her again?  Otherwise, I guess I'd just leave it blank.

Usually in the weeks leading up to the local elections, our local newspaper publishes a big spread, with interviews, views, etc. of each candidate.  Does your newspaper have something like that? 

I don't know anything about the mayor and he's going to win anyway, so it does no harm to write in a stuffed animal. Also, I haven't lived in this town long enough to know if he's done a good or bad job. 

Our town doesn't have its own paper. The local city paper has a small section twice per week with info about this part of the county. It doesn't seem like they covered the local elections much. The one article I saw didn't really talk about the candidates' positions on much. There was one debate (that I know of) that I couldn't attend. I don't know if the debate was covered, but I'm guessing it wasn't.

I think this is the first local election I've ever tried to vote in. We really only went because of the bond issues. The town did a good job emailing me multiple times to explain what the bonds were for and why voters should vote yes. If it was as easy to find out about the candidates, I might have selected three of them (the limit) rather than just one.

I believe that I've missed voting in two elections in my lifetime. Both were small municipal type elections, but neither were blown-off for lack of caring. Both times work emergencies interfered with best intentions.

I still feel a little guilty :D

Bill (voter)

I'm pretty sure we vote the exact opposite on almost every single issue, but I deeply respect your election dedication. I'm a junkie for them as well - across the globe!

I don't understand why you wrote in stuffed animals just because the mayor was running unopposed. If you think the mayor did a decent job, then wouldn't you just vote for him or her again? Otherwise, I guess I'd just leave it blank.

Usually in the weeks leading up to the local elections, our local newspaper publishes a big spread, with interviews, views, etc. of each candidate. Does your newspaper have something like that?

I guess I understand that small town candidates probably aren't as tech or advertising savvy and might not have a website. Also, they don't have the financial backing that would enable them to advertise much. Still, you'd think they would make some kind of effort.

I do try and vote in our local elections. I love being part of that whole process.

We have a friend we mess with by writing him in the blank during weird or poor election cycles. One year we were pretty sure he almost got enough write in votes to make the 'also ran' column in the paper :D. :rofl:

I live in a small town with a weekly newspaper.  The closest city has a daily paper.  Both papers asked the candidates for my town and all of the other local communities a series of questions.

The public radio station in the nearby city held weekly candidate forums with candidates from all of these communities too.  They did a wonderful job in their forums which they then linked via their website.

My town held one candidate forum and several organizations organized others.  We have a plethora of opportunities to hear positions!

• Like 1

I vote in almost every election and have since I was old enough to vote.  There are often times people who run unopposed for an office on the local level.  Sometimes there is no information and if I am not familiar with them like through news articles throughout the year or whatever, I just skip them by leaving blank. It seems disrespectful to put in a stuffed animal, cartoon character, or what-have-you as a write-in.  I guess I could see it if you have something against the candidate, but not just because you don't know them or feel they didn't put out enough information.  And I do get frustrated when there is no information listed in the Voter Guide for a candidate.  I like to sit down with my computer and my ballot and go through each item one by one and I like to have enough information to make a educated decision.

• Like 2

Our local paper usually runs a few articles about the candidates in the weeks before the election. I find that helpful in cases where I don't already know their records. It's a good reason to continue to subscribe, even though I get most news from other sources. They also cover local politics and civic affairs throughout the year.

We always vote.

• Like 1

I am glad that whenever we need to vote for judges at the state level, some government agency (I think) mails out a guide a few weeks ahead of time. Each person running gets about 1/4 page to list why you should vote for them. It isn't much, but is has gotten me to vote for a few judges in past elections. Without that guide I doubt I'd vote for any of them because they don't seem to campaign much.

I wish every local election had a guide mailed to all households. I can see a sample ballot online to see who is running, but it sure would be convenient if every town/state/county/school board mailed a guide and/or had a website with a statement and link to the official URL for each candidate.

I pretty much always vote.  I missed a few when I was in university, and one where I was quite sick.  However, I have never had a problem finding out about local candidates.

Now - with school board elections here, often there is not much info, and there are often not many candidates either.  But we have had some issues in recent years with school boards and a few have actually been dissolved.  As a result, I have not had the opportunity to vote in a school board election in quite a while.

We used to, and then we started moving a good bit.  In the past 7 years, we have lived in four different counties across three different states.  By the time I feel acclimated to a place and ready to vote knowledgeably, we move again.  I am hoping to do a better job in our most recent town.  That being said, I missed voting today.  I have no idea what was even on the ballot.  

Our last community sent out sample ballots before every election, so it reminded me & I had it in front of me to do my research from.  It went a long way in helping me be a more consistent voter on the local and state level.  Our new town has absolutely NO reminders, and very little political atmosphere at all.  The only thing that even made me realize there was an election today was the fact that a friend posted a question on Facebook.  

(We don't have any cable news or local news coverage, and don't subscribe to any newspapers.)

Like I said, I realize that the fault lies with me, and I hope to change it going forward.  I *want* to be a responsible voter.

We also got a ton of stuff in the mail with absolutely no info.  Sure I could go online and look up info on the candidates but what are those who don't have internet (rather common here) supposed to do?

As for your question, no we did not vote.  We are not from here and don't plan to live here long term (if we're not out of here in 6 months I'm going to do something crazy), I care not at all for local politics or policies (this county is the opposite of my particular beliefs by a huge margin, I know I wouldn't make a difference).

We always vote in local elections. I look online at our local League of Women Voter's website because they have information about everything and almost everyone on our ballot and give both sides of issues. If a candidate doesn't even bother to answer the LWV questions, I seriously question their willingness to do the job. Our polls were very busy today.

• Like 1

Yes, I always do.  I think local elections are very important.  Fortunately, my local media, both print and digital, are much better at their jobs. There is always plenty of information to be found about the candidates. 

Don't they come and talk to you?  I hate answering the door during the month of October because they ALL come to the house.  I will talk to them all at least once if not more.  I run to the grocery store and find "sorry to have missed you' post its on the door and packets of information from the candidates. I hear from ward candidates, people running for judge, hearing examiners, county reps, I had the Mayor in for a chat over coffee one afternoon.

And once they are elected it doesn't stop.  I get month newsletters from each of my local officials.

• Like 1

I absolutely vote in my local elections. My town government has a much greater impact on my daily living then the larger elections. I vote in all elections because the women who came before me were jailed, beaten, ridiculed, and so on, so I would have the right to cast my vote.

We vote in every single one. It never ceases to amaze me how many people kvetch about school bonds, park maintenance, and local business and property taxes but refuse to even show up and vote for the very candidates who have a direct effect on it.

Even worse, local politics is the level where each vote makes THE most difference on your day to day life, and yet the fewest people participate.

Yes to all of the above. especially the bolded.

I have voted in all but one election since I became old enough to vote 42 years ago. The one I missed was an off year and had one issue on the ballot. I didn't realize I was within the district eligible to vote on that issue until it was too late. Since then I always make sure to double check and find out if there are any offices or issues to vote on. I also showed up to vote in an election once when I wasn't eligible. It was a similar district issue. We had just moved and in that case I thought we were in the district eligible to vote on that issue. That was embarrassing. 

There are always ways to find out about candidates and issues. The League of Women Voters* is my go-to group, but our local news stations always have an election section online that tells about each city/district's election. The local newspaper (the only time I buy one anymore is around election time because I can only get so many views online without subscribing). While our city and county offices cannot give information about candidates, they do send a sample ballot with all of the issues and candidates names. I can spend time finding out about each. Sometimes it does take time, but to me it's time well spent. Sometimes it's work but to me it's worth the work. I don't take voting for granted

I've never written in a name unless I meant it. If I don't know enough about the candidates in a particular race, I leave that section blank.

*The League of Women Voters will not suggest which candidates to vote for or how to vote on specific issues, which is one of the things I like about them. They will give you the information (including what the proponents and opponents of issues have to say) and leave the decision to you.

• Like 3

All of this. Sometimes it's really hard to find information on the candidates and I'm usually disappointed about who gets elected locally. I still make a point to do it and will leave the section blank if I am unable to make a choice I can accept.

I usually go in with a little sheet of paper with the candidates I'm voting for written on it so that I don't make any mistakes and double check my ballot a couple of times because I'm always afraid I connected the wrong arrow. I can count on one hand the number of times I've missed an election and that's usually because I couldn't help it.

Now that I have kids, I take them with me and we talk about why voting is really important.

• Like 3

Yes.  Local elections are a big deal here.  (E.g., http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Chevron-s-3-million-backfires-in-Richmond-5873779.php) We are inundated with flyers for mayor and city council candidates, and a lot of it is nasty negative campaigning.  This being California, we almost always have state ballot measures to vote on as well (some are initiatives and others are issues the legislature sent back to the voters.)  

I think we didn't have an election today, for the first time since I've lived in this city.

no.  I live in an unincorporated area.  I don't use the public schools.  And I am moving in 4 months to a new county.

Because I am unincorporated, I get to vote on very little.  

Early voting location is 22 miles from my house.

I go to the voting booth.  However, I don't vote on stuff I don't know or care enough about.  Which is most of the issues.  They are always couched in confusing or misleading terms.  I would rather not cast a vote without knowing the full background and both sides of the debate - which I don't care to learn.  I mean, I live here, I pay taxes, I use the facilities, but I don't care about the details of how the council meetings are set up or bla bla bla.

One year I filled in one bubble only.  The computer asked me if I was sure I meant to leave a whole page blank.  I said yes and the computer said fine.

• Like 1

I usually do.  I skipped yesterday's because I simply couldn't find enough information in the time I had to study.  And yes, I do feel guilty.  Local elections are important.  Some local elected officials will go on to state or federal office.  We want to keep the good ones moving up and prevent the bad ones from doing so.  (Somewhat facetious because of course there is disagreement on who is good and who is bad.) 

We have a newish 18-year-old so I feel even more guilty than I normally would.  He is eager to vote in the Presidential election.  So we talk the importance of voting, but we also talk about how important it is to be an informed voter.  I'd rather people who know nothing about the candidates/issues not vote on them.