Menu

If your children trick or treat...

OnTheBrink

Wee Girl is a squealingly adorable tiny witch with pigtail braids.

Middle Girl is going as Aeneas. She dug out a Roman soldier costume and then, so everyone would recognize her as Aeneas, spent a month on making the shield from Book 8, with the many many many pictures from Roman history painted meticulously on it in gold ( http://www.wga.hu/art/b/batoni/venus2.jpg). She's especially proud of the Gauls creeping up to the gates and the goose giving warning.

• Like 5

A Pokemon trainer.

A hangman. Not the kind that hangs people, but the kind from the game. He duct taped a white sweatsuit with a stick figure (minus one leg) and I helped make a paper "noose" for him and we attached a sign to the end of the noose that says HA_GMA_

I was a "book fairy" for the party we went to last weekend. I may or may not revive it. Probably I will for going to the park for the costume contest. If the kids want me to go with them (there has been a LOT of debate about that) and go over to the really big street closed party a few minutes walk away (by really big, I mean crazy... fires in portable fire pits in the street with marshmallows and s'mores, houses with full bands, shadow puppet shows... one year there was a full on Thriller dance flash mob with like a hundred people... before I became a city girl I never imagined Halloween could be like this) then I may leave on my costume. Otherwise I may ditch it.

• Like 2

I have a Merida (from Brave), a Princess Leia, and a Luke Skywalker. I'm pretty proud of the Luke costume, as I put it together from stuff I scrounged from around the house (did have to buy a belt, as ds4 had no belts), including improvising how to attach his lightsaber to his belt.

• Like 1

My kids are going to be Ginny Weasley and Hermione Granger.  They are going to school tomorrow dressed as Griffindors.

I asked my kids if I should go as a house elf, wearing nothing but a torn pillowcase.  That thought serously grossed them out.  Their reaction gave me a good laugh, though.  I have been needing things to laugh about lately.

• Like 9

Super Chicken and Robin Hood.

If it's warm, I'll wear my Ren Fest pirate costume. If it's cold, I'm wearing my $348 brand new, ankle length Calvin Klein coat that I got yesterday at the thrift store for....wait for it...$15. (!)

Brand new. (!) $15. (!)

Pleeeeease be cold so I can wear my expensive/cheap-to-me coat!

• Like 8

DD11, DS4, and I are all cats. I don't normally dress up but those two insisted!

DS6 is a wizard - he says, "not a Harry Potter wizard, just a regular one." :-)

DS8 is going as the blue birds from Angry Birds Epic. In that version of the game the three blue birds are a ways stacked on top of one another, so he is a stack of three birds - the top one is his hat and the other two are made from foam board he will wear like a sandwich board.

DH always dresses up too, but his costume is always a last minute surprise. All he would tell me is that this year it might involve a trip to a store for some electronics and a bit of computer programming!?! I can't wait to see...

• Like 1

At the time it ticked me off, but now I laugh: when my son was in first grade, we had put together a terrific costume but when he got home from school, he was too crabby to change into it. So he went door-to-door in his school uniform as a Crabby Private School Pupil.

DD will be dressing as Dipper from Gravity Falls. Older DS will be Luke Skywalker dressed as a stormtrooper. And youngest is going to be Hulk.

I am going to dress in a masquerade mask and renaissance dress. I don't usually dress up but I am going to a party this year. DH is going as a SHEILD agent.

• Like 1

We all dress up. Squirrelboy (10) is going to be Nathan  Hale (inspired by the Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales graphic novels). He's wearing black knee pants, white knee length socks, a white shirt, a brown vest, and a long black jacket. And he's carrying a wooden rifle he made at a Civil War themed Cub Scout campout a few years ago. DH is going to coordinate with him as the Hangman from said series of books. White shirt, black coat, black pants, black mask. Squirrelboy has already been to several Trick or Treat events and no one knows who he is, but they generally guess the time period. He has been identified incorrectly as Ben Franklin, Daniel Boone, and a random revolutionary war soldier.

Kittygirl (4) is going to be Mary Ingalls, in an awesome dress and bonnet my mom made for her. I'm going as Caroline Ingalls, because what else would the mother of little Mary Ingalls dress as? In case you're curious, she insisted on being Mary and not Laura because Mary has blonde hair and she does too.

• Like 2

Ds8 is going as Squirtle (a Pokemon character). We have been to several Halloween events already and have been shocked at the number of people who knew what he was. All over, people were saying "oh, look, there's Squirtle" Dh and I would have had no idea if he hadn't told us.

Dd5 is going as a pink power ranger. She was really upset that her costume didn't come with a sword, so she is using a Ninja Turtle sword that ds had.

• Like 1

I don't dress up. 

ds has partially decided to reuse his gryffindor costume from last year.  I can home last night to find him filling his set of "potion" bottles with colored sugar water.  Now he wants an 'animal skin' bag to put them in - but I'm not sure I have it anymore, and might not even have the 'skin' fabric to make another.

he likes the candy - but not TorT.

• Like 1

Diamond is a character from Percy Jackson.  I think Annabeth?  WHomeverr it is that wears the NY hat.

Sweet CHild and some friends are going as Disney princesses-before-they-were-princesses.  She is CInderella. http://www.cornel1801.com/disney/Cinderella-1950/03.jpg

BabyBaby will be Katniss.

I am wearing my ancient "You don't scare me" t-shirt from Target. WHite with a black cat and a full moon.

• Like 1

DD is going to be a broken doll handing out candy to freaky music box music.

Son #1 is going to be a box. Just a box, not a box troll, not a mailbox, just a box.

Son #2 doesn't like change so he will be Darth Vader for the third year in a row. He won't fit it again next year.

Son #3 is going as a zombie

I will be in that frazzled mom look that I often sport year round.

• Like 5

DS1 and DS2 are both going as Ezra from the Star Wars Rebels animated series.

DD1 and DD2 are storm troopers. (Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?)

I knitted DD3 a Princess Leia hat.

DS3 has a Yoda costume from last year, but he's most likely going as a PITA 2 year old. 

• Like 3