183 members have voted

1. 1. How do you make your tomato soup

• Campbells- add water
    • Campbells- add milk
    • I make a non condensed type
    • I make it out of TOMATOES!
    • Yuck, no thank you
    • Something else?

Tomato soup is one of the few things I still use from a can. It tastes like growing up :-) I'm sure I would enjoy homemade tomato soup (and will order a cup out on occasion), but when I make it at home, I'm usually craving comfort in particular.

For those who want a disgusting, delicious concoction that some babysitter made for us many decades ago: one package of Kraft Mac and Cheese, add the soup + milk + the cheese powder. Yum, chemicals in a bowl! Weirdly, one of the few foods I can eat in the throes of morning sickness. I think DH was expecting #2 to emerge neon orange.

• Like 2

My favorite is a homemade knockoff of a soup from WDW's Sanaa restaurant with an Indian spice to it. I use a can of crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, a shallot, and curry paste. Puréeing tomato soup gives it a creamy texture without adding any cream.

• Like 1

A restaurant in town has the most fabulous vegan tomato soup.  I asked for their recipe and they GAVE it to me.  Of course, it makes SIX GALLONS!  But I'm cutting it down to 1/3 and making it for our next church potluck.  It is so dang yummy.  :0)  I freeze about a gallon of it if I have room in the fridge for quart freezer bags full...but I am fresh out!

Rats.  It's definitely a soup day here. 

Something else. If I find a really good ready made soup, I will buy it. If it's Campbell's then I add half milk half water.

I did a test for Americas test kitchen on homemade tomato soup and occasionally I have made that . It is delicious. And yes it was on the show a few months later!

Hmm, wonder where that recipe is.....

• Like 5

Something else. If I find a really good ready made soup, I will buy it. If it's Campbell's then I add half milk half water.

I did a test for Americas test kitchen on homemade tomato soup and occasionally I have made that . It is delicious. And yes it was on the show a few months later!

Hmm, wonder where that recipe is.....

Share if you find it? :)

• Like 4

I hate pretty much every kind of canned/commercially available tomato a soup.  In fact I just assumed I hated all tomato soup.  Then I tried a recipe for roasted garlic tomato soup when I had oodles of tomatoes to use up and discovered I do like real tomato soup just not the icky stuff from cans.

I use the original tomato soup, plus their harvest tomato soup, with milk and heavy cream, I also add canned diced tomatoes or fire roasted tomatoes, and Italian seasoning. I always serve it with grilled cheese made with muenster. It's a favorite around here.

I make soup from scratch... except for tomato! Tomato is Campbell's mixed with part water, part milk, and crumbs from the grilled cheese that must be dipped in it.

This this this! Use both water and milk and MUST have grilled cheese - the kind with lots of butter, made on a skillet, not to knock off DH makes in the toaster oven.

I love tomatoes.

But, I have a sad story. When I was young, I was staying with my grandparents while my parents traveled. My dog was also with me. Because my grandparents lived in the country, they let the dog out to roam; unfortunately, he was hit & killed by a car. When my grandparents had to tell me the news, I was sobbing for hours. By dinnertime, my grandmother was afraid I would choke on regular food because I was crying so much, so she served me tomato soup.

I have never wanted to eat it since. It tastes like sadness to me. :sad:

(Even so, I do know that's not entirely logical after all these years. Once in a rare while, my fil will make tomato soup when we visit & I always eat it there. I wouldn't want to make him feel badly for serving it by refusing to eat it.)

I do tomato sauce, coconut milk, water, basil, oregano, and garlic soup with falafel or spring rolls on the side (used to be grilled cheese sandwiches before food allergy diagnoses). Yum! Making your own tomato soup is so easy. I even impressed my MIL who wanted to know what brand of tomato soup I served (with milk rather than coconut milk). She was shocked how easy to make and yummy homemade tomato soup is.

• Like 1

My son loves it. My mother loves it and "famously" made it from scratch. (Friends all loved it so much.) If I were going to make it, I would use her recipe. Alas. I do not like it, Sam I am.

I love tomatoes as an ingredient and use them all the time, but I don't really like a strongly tomatoe-y flavor. So, none for me.

There used to be a board rule that you had to post recipes....

A restaurant in town has the most fabulous vegan tomato soup.  I asked for their recipe and they GAVE it to me.  Of course, it makes SIX GALLONS!  But I'm cutting it down to 1/3 and making it for our next church potluck.  It is so dang yummy.  :0)  I freeze about a gallon of it if I have room in the fridge for quart freezer bags full...but I am fresh out!

Rats.  It's definitely a soup day here. 

• Like 6

I grew up with Campbell's with added milk.

Now I buy Amy's brand (organic, non-condensed) but I still have to add just a smidge of milk (or fat-free half and half) to make it just a bit creamier.  It's like I can't not add a bit of dairy...

Yes, and best with grilled cheese...

Pacific Foods (or other brand), organic tomato soup. It comes in a 32 oz container. Heat and serve.

If you like this, and haven't already tried the Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato, get thee to the supermarket!

Although my favorite way to make it is by sautéing onion and garlic in vegan butter with cooking sherry, then adding the Pacific Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato:)

And then there are these fried onion with black pepper and garlic toppings I add...

There used to be a board rule that you had to post recipes....

LOL.  Well, I don't remember it exactly--I'll have to dig it out, but the *secret* is that saute onions in olive oil and you add a bit of garlic and (here's the secret) some chili pepper flakes.  It gives just a little heat to the soup so it is not so flat.  I'll dig that recipe out (we are in boxes for that stuff right now) and let you know.  :0)  Oh--and you use crushed San Marzano tomatoes in the can and some tomato paste and IIRC, some Cambell's Tomato JUICE.  And at the end of it, you drizzle olive oil on it.  There's salt and a little sugar but i use Stevia as people in our parish have sugar allergies and sugar issues.  

Gotta find that recipe!!!

Once I started making my own, there was no going back!

I saute some chopped onion in olive oil until soft, add a can of crushed tomatoes, a quart jar of tomato/veggie cocktail from our CSA (like V8, but a zillion times better) and a quart of homemade chx stock. Heat through, blend with immersion blender, add cream, fresh herbs, S&P to taste.

• Like 2

Purple Cafe Tomato Soup--Makes SIX GALLONS--so cut it to whatever size you want. I use it for group food cutting in 1/2 or 1/3

ETA:  This is vegan (so no animal and no dairy--great for some allergies) and gluten-free.  Yay!

4.5 quarts diced yellow onion

1.5 cups chopped garlic

3 cups EVOliveOil

2 TBSP red chili flakes

3/4 cup sugar

1/5 quarts white wine

6 #10 cans San Marzano Tomatos

3 quarts water 

1 pound basil leaves (stems picked off)

Sweat onion, garlic and chili flakes in olive oil.  Do NOT use canola oil!!!  Add a bit of salt tro bring out the liquid in the veggies

After the veggies are soft and sweet (about 20 minutes), add the white wine and reduce almost dry.

Add the tomatoes and sugar and bring back to a simmer.

Puree the sauce with an immersion blender.

(You can freeze this base and use it for spaghetti sauce base and so on, or you can go on to do the following and make soup.  Or you can freeze part and use part...just adjust the remaining ingredients proportionally.  Remember, you need enormo pots to make this full recipe...)

Add water to the base, more or less to get consistency.  

Puree in basil with immersion blender.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.  If the soup is extremely acidic, add a bit of sugar to balance it out, not to sweeten it. 

This soup should not be thickened with a starch of any kind.

Service:  put in bowl and drizzle with olive oil.  

Purple Cafe Tomato Soup--Makes SIX GALLONS--so cut it to whatever size you want. I use it for group food cutting in 1/2 or 1/3

ETA: This is vegan (so no animal and no dairy--great for some allergies) and gluten-free. Yay!

1.5 cups chopped garlic

3 cups EVOliveOil

2 TBSP red chili flakes

3/4 cup sugar

1/5 quarts white wine

3 quarts water

Sweat onion, garlic and chili flakes in olive oil. Do NOT use canola oil!!! Add a bit of salt tro bring out the liquid in the veggies

After the veggies are soft and sweet (about 20 minutes), add the white wine and reduce almost dry.

(You can freeze this base and use it for spaghetti sauce base and so on, or you can go on to do the following and make soup. Or you can freeze part and use part...just adjust the remaining ingredients proportionally. Remember, you need enormo pots to make this full recipe...)

Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the soup is extremely acidic, add a bit of sugar to balance it out, not to sweeten it.

Service: put in bowl and drizzle with olive oil.

Sounds yummy! Now to get my kids to work on their dividing with decimals and fractions and cut it down to 1/6 of the original recipe.

• Like 2

When I was a kid Campbell's was the standard.  It always made my throat burn.  I avoided tomato soup for years until I started making

homemade. Super delicious and easy tomato soup:

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 to 2 cloves garlic (optional)
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes (I just use crushed tomatoes so it's even easier)
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups Basic Chicken Stock, or water
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Directions
  1. Melt butter in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic (if using), stirring constantly, until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.

2. Add tomatoes, their juices, and stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

3. Working in batches, transfer tomato mixture to a blender, food processor, or food mill. Puree tomato mixture (if using a blender, cover the lid with a kitchen towel while machine is running).

4. Return soup to a clean pot and set over low heat. Whisk in cream, if desired; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or transfer soup to a bowl set over an ice-water bath to cool completely. Transfer cooled soup to an airtight container and refrigerate. Reheat over medium heat until heated through.

Martha Stewart, 2008

America's Test Kitchen Creamless Tomato Soup recipe

1 medium onion - chopped

3 garlic cloves - minced

pinch red pepper flakes

1 bay leaf

Saute above in EVOO for 3- 5 minsS

ting in 2 - 28oz cans of tomatoes

Mash the chunks smalled with a potatoe masher

Stir in

1 Tbls brown sugar

3 slices of bread ( cubed0 with crusts removed

(This replaces the cream)

Bring to Boil

Reduce heat and cook for 5 mins

remove bay leaf

Blend either in blender in batches or with a stick blender.

Add:

two cups of chicken broth 

1 Tbls brandy ( optional and I have not added that)

Return to  boil. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.

Original recipe called for homemade croutons.

• Like 2

ETA:  This is vegan (so no animal and no dairy--great for some allergies) and gluten-free.  Yay!

1.5 cups chopped garlic

3 cups EVOliveOil

2 TBSP red chili flakes

3/4 cup sugar

1/5 quarts white wine

3 quarts water 

Sweat onion, garlic and chili flakes in olive oil.  Do NOT use canola oil!!!  Add a bit of salt tro bring out the liquid in the veggies

(You can freeze this base and use it for spaghetti sauce base and so on, or you can go on to do the following and make soup.  Or you can freeze part and use part...just adjust the remaining ingredients proportionally.  Remember, you need enormo pots to make this full recipe...)

Season to taste with salt and pepper.  If the soup is extremely acidic, add a bit of sugar to balance it out, not to sweeten it. 

Service:  put in bowl and drizzle with olive oil.  

We just divided by 6 to make it a 1 gallon recipe:

3 diced yellow onions (approx 3 c)

1/4 c chopped garlic

1/2 c EVOO

1 t red chili flakes

2 T sugar

2 T white wine

#10 can San Marzano Tomatoes

2/3 c water

1 c fresh basil (stems cut off)

• Like 3

I hate pretty much every kind of canned/commercially available tomato a soup. In fact I just assumed I hated all tomato soup. Then I tried a recipe for roasted garlic tomato soup when I had oodles of tomatoes to use up and discovered I do like real tomato soup just not the icky stuff from cans.

Same here. Thought I hated tomato soup. Turned out I just hated Campbell's.

I rarely make it, but when I do, I use garden fresh tomatoes.  I whirl up the tomatoes in my food process and strain the juice out.  I heat up a bit of olive oil, and either flavor it with chili seasonings (chili powder, cumin, paprika, etc.) or Italian seasonings (basil, oregano, parsley, etc).  Add my tomato juice and sometimes broth or plain water, let simmer for a while.  I do add a bit of sour cream to finish it.  I don't have an exact recipe.  My DH prefers the chili flavor, while I prefer the Italian flavors.  I grow basil, so I do love some fresh basil sprinkled on top. 

I grew up on Campbell's tomato soup (plus other Campbell's and Progresso soups). My mother always used milk, never water. We would put a pat of butter on each serving and let it swirl as it melted into the hot soup. The last time I was hit with a bout of nostalgia and bought myself a can of Campbell's tomato soup, I wondered why I ever liked it.

When I was a kid Campbell's was the standard.  It always made my throat burn.  I avoided tomato soup for years until I started making

homemade. Super delicious and easy tomato soup:

Mine is similar to yours. I got the recipe years ago from a friend who doesn't cook with measurements. She did her best here, and it's perfect. We love this tomato soup, and despite the cream it freezes well.

Tomato Soup.
4 boxes Pome strained tomato
About a cup of fresh sliced basil
Finely chopped Garlic to taste- I use 1 Tbs.
salt to taste
Real cream, 1/2 to 1 cup
Real Butter, 2 Tbs
Chopped Onion, one large
Some sort of sweetener (sugar, maple syrup, or whatever you like) - I use about a tbs. or two of sugar, tasting after each addition
Bay leaf if you want

Sauté onion on med low in butter for a couple of min in stock pot.

Add garlic and stir for 30 sec or so until the garlic releases oils. Don't
brown it.

Add tomato, bay leaf, sugar, and salt.
Simmer on low for 30 to 45min.

Remove bay leaf.

Strain or puree if desired. - I use an immersion blender to puree

Add cream and Basil and serve immediately. Add a bit more basil on top if
desired:)

• Like 2

I prefer it made fresh, with cream.

But if Campbell's - then definitely with milk. 

But we don't ever have it anymore because DS is allergic to tomatoes. :(

Maybe I'll buy some Campbell's and bring it to work.  Now I am craving tomato soup.

Progresso makes a pretty yummy tomato basil soup (canned, but not condensed). I've used it as a base for fish chowder (adding a little broth, white wine, chunked white fish). 

Alas, tomato soup is now off limits, my digestive tract can't handle it. Looking at Patty Joanna's recipe, I'm wondering if I made a scratch version, with fewer onions and omitting the red pepper flakes, would my esophagus not rebel? Might have to give it a try.