Menu

s/o Teen years your favorite?

purplejackmama

Hikinmama got my wheels turning and gave me hope :) on another thread she posted that the teen years were her favorite.

Anyone else feel like that? My oldest is a tween so I'm hoping to glean from what went right for your family. I hear from folks all the time IRL say how difficult the teen years have been for their family.

So let's discuss. Love teen years? Why? Hate teen years? Why?

• Like 1

Love them!  Our experience has been that parenting teens is much easier than parenting younger kids.  That doesn't mean there aren't problems -- of course there are.  And learning to let go and give them a steadily increasing amount of independence is hard.  Not to mention tricky sometimes.  But overall give me a teen over a younger kid any day.

• Like 2

I love my teens. I would not say that the teen years are my "favorite", because I have been enjoying every season with my children. But having teens is great.

I like the intelligent, thought provoking conversations with the kids. The relationship moves to a different level. It is neat to see their personalities, interests, how their lives unfold. I genuinely like spending time with them, riding in the car, hanging out, doing stuff - and talking. I enjoy having my kids' teenage friend around as well.

Oh, and of course, since teens no longer need that much supervision, but are independent, it means I have more time for my own pursuits and am, myself, moving into a different phase in my life that is no longer dominated by the mothering aspect.

• Like 11

I love the teen years (so far), although I really liked from about 8yo on. I loved it when my oldest was old enough to read meaningful books and discuss them with me. When DD was 9, we read all seven of The Chronicles of Narnia together. We also read all the Harry Potter stories. I loved this so much.

I love seeing my kids become competant in a serious, adult way. I loved when DS15's baseball games got to a level of real sportsmanship, with biological adult physical skills. Same with DD as she learned to play piano and draw at an adult level. It is fascinating to see how they bloom.

Now that my youngest DS is 10, I really love seeing his killer sense of humor, his athleticicm, his compassion for animals. He loves to go on hikes, which I love, too, and he likes spotting interesting plants, animals, or topography. (Although I could stand for him to have a little fear over climbing the huge granite boulders!

I don't know if I did something right or I'm just lucky as hell, but my teens are "good" kids (so far). We get along, their "bad 'tude" days are rare, and they seem to recognize DH and I are on their side. I love seeing my children become fully developed people, even as I miss reading "So Many Bunnies" night after night.

• Like 7

My own child is only 5yo. I've worked professionally with teenagers and my mom ran an in-home daycare while I was growing up. I told my husband that when we had a kid, he would have to be the primary parent for those early years and I would take over that role for the later years - I prefer older children any day. Hasn't quite worked out like that, as I didn't foresee becoming a SAHP and homeschooling, but I still like each year better than the last and am greatly looking forward to 10 and up.

• Like 2

Like Quill, I really enjoyed when my kids became old enough to have awesome conversations about great books, movies, and even solid debates about local news, politics, etc.  Even when we don't agree, to see how their minds work, to be awed by their idealism - I love it. I've always loved the teen years when my sisters, brothers, nieces and nephews hit them so I knew I'd love it when my own kids arrived there.

And again like Quill, I'm a sports fan. I found the younger, recreational play to be a major snoozefest. I loved when the kids got old enough to play truly awesome, competitive, and smart ball. 

(Okay, I read this and feel horrified that it sounds like I liked my kids when they proved more entertaining for me :leaving: but really I think the best is seeing their minds and ideals evolve, sometimes with my influence and sometimes despite it. To watch them grow into their own selves is amazing.)

• Like 3

Mine is only 12 but I love love love this age! It's my favorite so far (even though I say that every year), and I only see awesome things for the future. There's nothing bittersweet here--I can't wait to watch my boy continue to grow into himself and take on his world. Love it! :)

• Like 3

I really disliked the dirty-diaper-throw-up-on-mom years. I survived them (and so did the kids) but I really disliked it.

I am enjoying the teen years.  The kids actually have independent personalities and thoughts and I enjoy spending time with them.

And the schoolwork is MUCH more interesting!

• Like 3

There are things I absolutely love about every phase so far. Teens are pretty awesome, though. We have great discussions and have fun watching and reading the same things. It was a bit of shock when dh and I realized they truly got the humor of some of our favorite shows. My dds are funny and witty and I enjoy talking with them. They make me laugh often.

• Like 3

I loved the teen years for the reasons others have suggested: it was generally less parenting and more interacting with interesting human beings. One of my kids was a very difficult child, but for some reason the teen years with him were relatively easy. All of my kids found friends that had pretty similar values and were pretty much "good" kids. I could not tell you if I did anything right. I think I just got blessed that way. And there was some natural conflict, so I don't want anyone thinking everything was perfect, but overall it was a great time. I like the adult years, too, except for the fact that I don't get to spend as much time with them as I would like.

• Like 2

I'd say 2-4 and 11-13 were the hardest on me.

I love mine, but I am NOT a preschool kid person.  It was tough.

Then they were so emotional and unfocused when they were 11-13. I don't know how middle school teachers survive.

After that it gets better every year.

• Like 4

I've loved pretty much every stage with my kids, and the older they got, the more I appreciated who they were becoming.  It's a bit like a continuous unwrapping of a present, but in slow motion.

One of my offspring has become a difficult young adult, but I trust that this stage will pass when said young adult settles more fully into a life that is satisfying -- it's just not there yet, so there is some misery that washes onto everyone involved. Aside from that, the other two are delightful, and I wouldn't trade any of it back. 

I fell sorry for people who complain about teens...I wish so much that they weren't experiencing what they are because I'm pretty sure their teens are not that thrilled about the parents either.  It's such a waste, when there is so much enjoyment and fun to be had.

My very favorite age with other people's teens is 8th grade, more or less.  That's when most discover that they are bilingual and speak sarcasm as well.

• Like 3

I like every one else's teens WAY better than mine!

Seriously.

My 13 yo is actually fairly easy and always has been. She's just an easy kid.

My oldest...let's just say she's NEVER been an easy kid. She's a good kid, she's just hard.

I've noticed that the easy kids' parents say the teen years were easy. The hard kids' parents say the teen years made things even harder.

• Like 2

I love the teen years! 

When my son was 15-17 we talked about all kinds of things and it was incredible to see him becoming the man who he is today. We had great conversations that I will cherish forever.

DD16 and I love hanging out, shopping, cooking desserts, and watching movies together.  If she is gone for more than a couple of days at friends houses, when she comes home, she is constantly near me.  I adore spending time with her. 

• Like 2

I'm loving the teen year so far with my two teens.  My 13 year old has always been easy (at least once he quit crying and started talking when he was 2 1/2).  My 15 year old was super hard from 3-13.  She's been awesome ever since.  I know a lot of people with kids like that.

• Like 1

The teens years have been hard for me.  My oldest went through a really hard stage of being very moody and smart mouthed.  I always felt like I had to walk on egg shells around him.  Now he's 16 and so much better--still moody at times but much more pleasant overall.  It was hard getting here though and I really didn't know that we would.  

• Like 1

The teens years have been hard for me. My oldest went through a really hard stage of being very moody and smart mouthed. I always felt like I had to walk on egg shells around him. Now he's 16 and so much better--still moody at times but much more pleasant overall. It was hard getting here though and I really didn't know that we would.

Was this a puberty thing? Did it feel like it happened overnight? What helped it get better?

The TWEEN years were pretty terrible.

Right around 12.5-13, though, things started to even out. Now, at almost 14, she's great. We have the occasional spiff about eye rolling and thinking before she speaks, but that's her normal, not "teen related", lol. She's helpful, kind, intuitive, compassionate, and I love her interest in debate and politics. I'm really enjoying watching her "grow up".

ETA: She has her "moody" days, but I'm learning quickly to buy her a new book and not complain when we don't see her for a day or so (holed up in her room reading and snacking). She emerges in a better mood, lol!

• Like 1

My oldest is only 12, so I have no idea what the actual teen years will be like.  When the girls were little, of course they were cute beyond words, but WOW, those years were crazy!  Two kids, almost precisely two years apart... I blocked out the hard stuff and only remember the good, but the internet does not forget.

I enjoy sharing things with the girls now.  We can watch some TV shows together.  I can share hobbies with them, like crocheting.  I actually look forward to helping with makeup and chit-chatting over Starbucks. I feel like we can talk more, just person to person. So there are a lot of good things about 12 year olds.  I hope the actual teen years are enjoyable too.

• Like 1

Whew, hard question!  I'm not sure if it felt like it happened overnight but I do think it was a puberty thing and probably a lot of stress from school that he brought home.   I was the same way as him at that age and my mom and I fought a lot so I tried to do things differently.   I tried not to take things personally, for one, which was  hard!   I wanted him to know that I was his advocate and that "I'm on your side."  I made sure to never attack him personally or put him down.  Sometimes if it went too far, he would have a consequence (and that is tough too--where do you draw the line between them expressing their feelings and being disrespectful?).  There were times when I had had enough and I told him to go to his room and stay there until his father got home.   For some reason, he always seemed to be a much better kid after a consequence like that.   He was also my prayer request at Bible study pretty much every week for two years, so I can't leave that out.  I like where we are at now. 

I've loved (and just endured) EVERY age for different reasons. However, if you have low-drama teens, life is SO MUCH EASIER with older kids. It's more expensive, but it's NICE to just go on a date with DH without juggling a sitter or travel with people who don't scream or wet their pants.

• Like 2

Mine is only 15, so we haven't been through all of the teen years yet, but so far YES they are my absolute favorite.  I am still her parent and always will be, but I love that we are now friends as well as mother and daughter.  

• Like 5

I loved my teens. My hardest child was a difficult toddler and anearly impossible child. Each year she has gained past 12 has got better and better. That probably colored my lense for the other three kids (all pretty laid back). Less tension in the house made these later years more enjoyable. From the time the eldest was 12 on, everything just keeps getting better and better.

• Like 1

My oldest is 13.  He has been challenging since birth, but I'm not finding him necessarily more challenging as a teen.  He's still the same person.  And there are a lot of things I like about him.  He's says a lot of interesting and thought provoking things.  He's kind to me.  He has his moments, but hey so do I.  I don't have any major complaints.

My younger kid is 10 and he is definitely getting better with age.  It seems like he struggled for a long time to articulate what was on his mind and so he was constantly frustrated.  He has gotten past a lot of that so instead of screaming I get to hear what he is thinking.  And it's not nearly as bad as I imagined.  LOL

• Like 1

I have honestly loved every stage and the teens are no different.  The challenges are much different but as growing people, I couldn't be more proud of them.  Watching this type of maturity blossom is such a joy.  I'm really intrigued and amused by a lot of it.  Both are pretty funny kids (though DS is 12 he is very teen-like), entertain me daily and make the *most* interesting choices and observations.  There are clashes, and every day isn't full of rainbows, but it's in the to-be-expected range for now.  Both of mine are very loving and hug and kiss me daily on their own....how could I not love that?  What I don't love?  ..how they have honed certain gaming skills and now the master (me) has become the student.   :lol:   So now, I never win at much.  But on the flip side, they are both very good at math and have   mostly self taught it this year.  So I'll take that as a WIN.  So I guess my sanity on school days loves how stinkin' smart they are.  But since they are just newly teens, I know many changes are to come and I know I won't love all of them so I'm just relishing in today and hoping for the best like I always have.   :hurray:  

But I think the thing I love MOST about this age is they have, which in turn gives me a lot of independence again.  They are old enough to stay at home (and finish school work!) if I need to run an errand or get groceries, they are dependable to run into a store for me and pick up a couple things for dinner while I sit int he parking lot to make phone calls or appts., they do a fair share of the housework,   DD even makes simple phone calls for me and is starting to cook dinner at times.  They mow take care of the lawn sometimes, too.  I look back when I had much younger children that needed me, my lawn needed me, my house needed me, dinner was up to me,  it was up to me to schedule everything, etc etc.  And I'm loving the reversal of that thanks to their independence and abilities. 

LOVE the teens years so far!

I have honestly loved every stage and the teens are no different.  The challenges are much different but as growing people, I couldn't be more proud of them.  Watching this type of maturity blossom is such a joy.  I'm really intrigued and amused by a lot of it.  Both are pretty funny kids (though DS is 12 he is very teen-like), entertain me daily and make the *most* interesting choices and observations.  There are clashes, and every day isn't full of rainbows, but it's in the to-be-expected range for now.  Both of mine are very loving and hug and kiss me daily on their own....how could I not love that?  What I don't love?  ..how they have honed certain gaming skills and now the master (me) has become the student.   :lol:   So now, I never win at much.  But on the flip side, they are both very good at math and have   mostly self taught it this year.  So I'll take that as a WIN.  So I guess my sanity on school days loves how stinkin' smart they are.  But since they are just newly teens, I know many changes are to come and I know I won't love all of them so I'm just relishing in today and hoping for the best like I always have.   :hurray:  

But I think the thing I love MOST about this age is they have, which in turn gives me a lot of independence again.  They are old enough to stay at home (and finish school work!) if I need to run an errand or get groceries, they are dependable to run into a store for me and pick up a couple things for dinner while I sit int he parking lot to make phone calls or appts., they do a fair share of the housework,   DD even makes simple phone calls for me and is starting to cook dinner at times.  They take care of the lawn sometimes, too.  I look back when I had much younger children that needed me, my lawn needed me, my house needed me, dinner was up to me,  it was up to me to schedule everything, etc etc.  And I'm loving the reversal of that thanks to their independence and abilities. 

LOVE the teens years so far!

19yo, 16yo, and 13yo here right now and I can definitely say it's my favorite age group. You start to get glimpses of adult versions. It's a bit like having two year olds when you start to get a sneak peel past the baby stage. Two is my second favorite age. ;)

I've absolutely loved the teen years so far with three VERY different kids.

• Like 2

Yes, teen years are my favorite by far! Not the age 13 or maybe not even 14, but 15 and older... Fantastic times. I also really like the under 1 year baby stage. But being able to have grown up conversations with my kids is my most favorite thing. And, sadly, one of the very things I miss the most with my oldest being gone. I love when they become your friends as well as your kids.

• Like 1

I meant to put something in my initial post and I forgot it.

Truly, 16 was a wretched year for dd.  It seemed like she just hated me and found fault with everything I did and said.  Dh was about to tear his hair out because that was a rough year with eldest as well, as he was just starting college. 

She was not able to articulate what was wrong until a year or so later.  It turned out that her classes were a lot harder, she was doing most everything online with tutorials and an AP class, and yet she had to do all her work under her own aegis -- and it was exhausting.  She loved the classes so much, but I really think she was struggling with burnout and didn't know it.  And she took her misery out on me.  When she did figure it out, she told me that it was absolutely exhausting to direct everything herself, to find the energy to motivate herself to do her work hour after hour, week after week, month after month.  She desperately needed me to encourage and cheer her on.  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  This was my independent, self-sufficient child--the one who didn't need me unless she had a conceptual problem, who made lists and marked them off, who generally suppressed an eyeball roll if I said, "I'm concerned about ....." because she was always two steps ahead of whatever deadline I was concerned about.

So that's why I posted this:  know that even if you have an academic superstar, they may also be a person who needs you to encourage, to cheerlead, and to pull them aside to celebrate the moments that their hard-driving selves wouldn't even think to stop and savor.  It might help you avoid a miserable 16.

• Like 2

As far as bittersweet mommy moments, I think I'm having them MORE with teens than with babies. You know how when your baby starts looking like a kid and you get a little nostalgic? With teens it's worse because you're enjoying the stage so much and it hits you that their next stage is LEAVING. Soooooo much harder than the transition from toddler to preschooler.

• Like 4

I like every one else's teens WAY better than mine!

Seriously.

My 13 yo is actually fairly easy and always has been. She's just an easy kid.

My oldest...let's just say she's NEVER been an easy kid. She's a good kid, she's just hard.

I've noticed that the easy kids' parents say the teen years were easy. The hard kids' parents say the teen years made things even harder.

My 14 year old. Ugh. I'm so jealous of all of you who say the teen years are great. I like teens in general, but my own? Yikes. I'm not sure how both my oldest and me survived the year she was 13. She's always been hard and it's like I realized I've been waiting for her to outgrow it, but she never did. Things have been better since February. I'm kind of holding my breath that that year was just really horrible and she got through it and now we'll be ok.

I enjoy my 12 year old. Much more than I did when my oldest was her age. More than my oldest at every age. My oldest has complained that I'm closer to her, and it's true. I try to always be fair and give my oldest extra love, but I feel like she already takes so much attention that spending even more time with her just takes away from my 12 year old, the one who isn't causing so much conflict and stress in the family.

• Like 1

I loved the teen years.  I loved every stage my children were at, and I probably enjoyed each new stage more than the last.  Now that they're all young adults, I love this stage best of all, except unfortunately, I don't get to see them as much!

• Like 3

[quote name="Mimm" post="6440802" timestamp=

I enjoy my 12 year old. Much more than I did when my oldest was her age. More than my oldest at every age. My oldest has complained that I'm closer to her, and it's true. I try to always be fair and give my oldest extra love, but I feel like she already takes so much attention that spending even more time with her just takes away from my 12 year old, the one who isn't causing so much conflict and stress in the family.

I get it. Some kids are just hard! I have two sons that are completely different. I put so, so much more work into one. I tried to be so intentional in all I said and did with him. And yet the other one was just easier. Hugs!

• Like 1

My 14 year old. Ugh. I'm so jealous of all of you who say the teen years are great. I like teens in general, but my own? Yikes. I'm not sure how both my oldest and me survived the year she was 13. She's always been hard and it's like I realized I've been waiting for her to outgrow it, but she never did. Things have been better since February. I'm kind of holding my breath that that year was just really horrible and she got through it and now we'll be ok.

Yeah, I totally get it.

It's very demoralizing. Mine is 16 and we still have our days. I do like some of the stuff that we can now do together, like we have similar senses of humor and like similar types of movies. So as far as enjoyment, there is a bit more payback than there was in past years.

• Like 1

It's funny, hubby and I were at the mall a few weeks ago, sitting having something to drink and we had this very conversation. There were lots of babies and younger kids there that day and both of us agree that we love our teenagers. Regentrude summed it up very well. They are great fun, independent, and interesting. Ours have interests that range all over the place and I love it. I think it helps that all our kids are so mellow they could've stepped out of a Jimmy Buffett song..but then I am that way too. :)

• Like 1

I loved my big girls. They were old enough to have actual discussions with, and they were clever, intelligent young women. :-)

On a personal level, it was easy not to be a helicopter parent with them. :-)

ETA: Oh, look! Top of the page!! :party:

• Like 2