Menu

A whole new wardrobe? Would you?

Jennifer132

I'm 33 years old, and have five children. I have clothing from my college days on up through my most recent pregnancy. Most of it either doesn't fit anymore (pregnancy will do that to a piece of clothing), doesn't look pretty on my body anymore, is ruined/stained/holey, or I just don't like it. My parents send me money every year around Christmas and my birthday, and I never spend it. So I have a good wad of cash saved up with no designation. If it were you, would you ever just get rid of all your clothing and start over? I'm not talking about just adding some nice pieces that you do like, I'm talking about just getting rid of it all, and buying new. Most of my current wardrobe was second hand too. I would want to buy brand new clothing, and just choose fewer pieces. Thoughts?

I've held onto so many pieces of clothing for years, hoping I'd lose weight and they'd fit right again, but I really can't see myself losing weight in the foreseeable future, with three children under three and dealing with multiple special needs.

If you would do this, what (and how many) pieces would you buy? I would not buy undergarments, I'm good there, and neither do I need pajamas. I wear skirts 90 percent of the time. And we have weather that can be over 100 degrees on down to minor snow days in winter (central Ok).

• Like 1

I would do it.  It sounds as if it's time to start over.  I have made major intercontinental moves several times and, due to climate differences, have essentially done what you feel like doing.

If I were doing this, I'd work on a great capsule wardrobe, where everything fitted with everything else.  What fun!

How many pieces to buy depends on your washing cycle and how many times you have to change each day, with small children.  FWIW, when I lived in Hong Kong and the children were small, I would buy five pairs of shorts and seven T shirts once a year - boring but serviceable!

• Like 6

Do it!

I never spend money on myself and as a result, still have a lot of the clothes I wore in high school. Dh is constantly telling me to go buy clothes but I always end up shopping for the kids or saying, "I'll wait until I'm done losing weight."

If you've got the money and the need for new clothes, go for it! I'm sure you will feel like a new woman afterwards :)

• Like 1

In a heartbeat! I'm in the middle of pregnancy and babies and toddlers, so I'm just accepting that everything I own is only going to fit well some of the time and be used hard. I totally hope I can wipe the slate clean when I'm done with babies and have settled into my "new normal" body.

Have fun and take yourself shopping!

I'm 33 years old, and have five children. I have clothing from my college days on up through my most recent pregnancy. Most of it either doesn't fit anymore (pregnancy will do that to a piece of clothing), doesn't look pretty on my body anymore, is ruined/stained/holey, or I just don't like it. My parents send me money every year around Christmas and my birthday, and I never spend it. So I have a good wad of cash saved up with no designation. If it were you, would you ever just get rid of all your clothing and start over? I'm not talking about just adding some nice pieces that you do like, I'm talking about just getting rid of it all, and buying new. Most of my current wardrobe was second hand too. I would want to buy brand new clothing, and just choose fewer pieces. Thoughts?

I've held onto so many pieces of clothing for years, hoping I'd lose weight and they'd fit right again, but I really can't see myself losing weight in the foreseeable future, with three children under three and dealing with multiple special needs.

If you would do this, what (and how many) pieces would you buy? I would not buy undergarments, I'm good there, and neither do I need pajamas. I wear skirts 90 percent of the time. And we have weather that can be over 100 degrees on down to minor snow days in winter (central Ok).

Yes.  Start by getting rid of everything that is stained, has holes, is so dated you don't want to wear it, or doesn't make you feel pretty.  Ask yourself - if I were to fit into this garment tomorrow, would I actually choose to wear it?

Then PLAN.  Come up with a capsule wardrobe for the summer - you'll want to choose a color scheme.  Blue and white (nautical) is a classic summer look, or earth-tone linen, or whatever your style is.  I'd consider a cardigan, a pair of lighter-weight pants or capris, two skirts, 4-5 tops that mix and match with the pants and the skirts, and a nice dress.  I'd add dressier shoes that match the dress and at least one skirt, plus an everyday casual shoe that goes with everything (except maybe the dress).  Pick a handbag and perhaps a tote bag that works with all of it.  Resist the temptation to over-buy!!!  Summer is short, and you'll want to go through this again in the fall, with perhaps a different color scheme.  You'll eventually need a wardrobe for summer, fall, winter, spring, with some transitional pieces that work between seasons (like cool-spring, and warmer-fall).  

Now do some window shopping via online stores, catalogs, and sites like polyvore.com to choose specific looks you're going for.  Then, and only then, hit the stores and see what you can find that fits your plan.  Each season, add 2-3 new looks until you have the basics, then add 1-2 new looks and an accessory or two from there on out.  

Clothes can be fun!  Enjoy!

• Like 12

Well, if you want to do it, it certainly sounds reasonable.  Go right ahead!

I suggest that you buy (or already own) a couple of aprons that you like, and make sure to use them.  Otherwise, with small kids, the new stuff is going to end up stained and holey as well.

On the other hand, I'm in a very similar situation, and my answer to the question "would you?" is "no" because I haven't done so, and I doubt that I will in the future.  I tend to buy a few new things at a time and get rid of a few things that are in poor condition, or pack up some things that are in fine condition but don't fit now or aren't suitable (e.g., dresses I can't nurse in).  My everyday clothes look okay, not great, and I don't mind wearing them for gardening, housework, cooking, or caring for small, grubby people (which is what I seem to do most of the time).

• Like 1

Yes, do it.  I did it.  I was 36. I had had 5 kids, but was done, and some of the stuff I was wearing was at least 15 years old.  In fact, my bras were even older.  I went out and bought new stuff.  Stuff that fit and was current.  It felt good.  I then had to do it again after I loss 30lb a couple of years later, but that's a different story......

• Like 4

I would watch a few episodes of "What not to wear" and plan to try on a bunch of things, even things you do not think will look good on you to find what you truly like and what looks best on you.

Also, annoyingly, sizes are different at different stores and different brands within the same store. That was one thing about Europe I liked, a 42 was a 42 in any store across Europe, it made shopping much easier.

Is there still that TV show that does this?   Whoever they pick brings in their entire wardrobe.  Then the hosts look through the clothes and get rid of the vast majority of it.  Then they send the person out with $5,000 and guidelines on what to buy.  They have cameras on the person while they are shopping and if the person starts buying more of what was tossed they come in to the store and redirect the person.  If you can find some of the episodes maybe it will be inspiring.  

I would stick with quality items.  I wish iI could recommend Lands End, but they seem to have gone downhill lately.  

• Like 1

Is there still that TV show that does this? Whoever they pick brings in their entire wardrobe. Then the hosts look through the clothes and get rid of the vast majority of it. Then they send the person out with $5,000 and guidelines on what to buy. They have cameras on the person while they are shopping and if the person starts buying more of what was tossed they come in to the store and redirect the person. If you can find some of the episodes maybe it will be inspiring.

I would stick with quality items. I wish iI could recommend Lands End, but they seem to have gone downhill lately.

The show is "What not to wear," and it was on Netflix for a while. You can watch individual shows for a few dollars on Amazon, I would suggest the OP watch a few that with people seem closest to her body type.

• Like 1

I did clear off more than half my wardrobe last year because I was bored with them and most were faded and some have holes. I kept my jeans since it is so hard to find my size for jeans.  My hubby went overboard buying me new clothes and outerwear so now I have more clothes than wardrobe space. I didn't count so I am guessing at least 10 new jackets/coats and 10 new dresses.

I'd do it for sure!  How lovely that you have this gift from your parents to do something nice for you.

I'd go slowly, though, because it's taking me time to figure out what looks good on me now.  Pre-kids I could wear anything, but in the past few years I've bought a few things I liked, only to realize a couple months later they're actually not right for my body type--and in the process I've found some tips online about why that is, and what to look for instead.

Imogen Lamport's blog Inside Out Style, especially her posts on body shape, is the resource that helped me the most. 

http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/category/body/body-shapes-explained

Have fun with the process of building both your wardrobe and your individual sense of style, which is whatever you feel and look great in.

Amy

• Like 3

In a heartbeat!

I would love to have a good budget for that. First I'd plan out a list of what I need. I'd love a coordinating wardrobe that really makes every piece work and work together. That way I don't have so many things to manage, but enough variety for every occasion. I am no longer interested in being a clothes horse, but I would like new and fashionable.

I would spend a while shopping and stash each piece as I acquired it. Then, when my list was all checked, I'd toss everything out of my closet, refurb it (paint, shelving, hooks in the right places), and open all my packages as though it were Christmas morning.

Sigh. A gal can dream, can't she?

DO IT! And have fun!

• Like 2

Agree with the capsule wardrobe suggestion. Ideally for summer I would like to downsize to 1 pair of nice capris, 1 pair of everyday capris, 1 pair of shorts, 1 just below knee length skirt that would work with a casual shirt or nicer top, 1 long skirt that looks good dressed up or down, 1-2 light long sleeves shirts, 2 nice summer tops, 2-3 everyday T shirts or tanks, 1 dress for special occasions, 1 outfit for things like yard work or exercise, a swimsuit, and 1 cardigan. Reality is I have a bunch of mix-n-match tops and bottoms that don't mix-n-match with each other which leaves me with a cluttered closet full of too many items I don't actually wear. I am thinking about packing up everything except the above listed items. Then if I don't dig into the packed away items by the end of summer, I hope for the willpower to get rid of the excess clothes that aren't capsule worthy.

I did recently use money I had saved up over the past couple years from birthday and Christmas gifts to get rid of several pairs of old shoes and replace them with new shoes. That was a long overdue event. If you are needing to use money for new shoes as well I recommend 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of comfortable stylish sandals that work with skirts or shorts/pants, 1 pair of Keen or Teva type sandals, and 1 pair of dress shoes.

Yup. Do it! The old stuff that was nice years ago won't be in style when you really want to wear it again (I still had loads of clothes with shoulder pads - icky!!).

You can stretch your money a lot further if you get some things at a quality consignment store, too. 

My favourite consignment store just had a 41th birthday sale - all items were $0.41 each. I went a little crazy for me and my dc!

• Like 1

I wouldn't go quite so far. I would definitely keep anything I considered a favourite. Probably I would also keep anything I considered 'pretty good' as sort-of backup clothes, in drawers or baskets or hanging in the back of the closet.

Then I would splurge on a new "primary wardrobe" -- and keep it at the front.

I just couldn't do a total purge, nor does my life support the idea of wearing my nicest things all the time.

• Like 2

Yes! In a heartbeat if the funds were available. My mom offered me $1000 when I reach my goal weight so I can do just that. She know even when I'm at my best weight I still only buy secondhand because of financial strain so she's giving me motivation to get healthy again and a brand new wardrobe! Now if only I could get my butt moving

• Like 1

I read an article recently about a woman who had a limited wardrobe but it was interchangeable so she had a lot of different outfits, but less pieces than the average woman.  I believe it was 15 tops and 9 bottoms.  I can't remember the rest.  But it inspired me.  I threw out 2 bags of clothes this week.  There was a pair of shorts I know I wore before Dh and I married  :lol:

I don't think it's crazy if you have the money.  I think going through your current clothes and picking out things that are still fitting well and basic enough to pair up with other basics you should keep.  But yes, toss the rest and go shopping!

• Like 1

I wouldn't go quite so far. I would definitely keep anything I considered a favourite. Probably I would also keep anything I considered 'pretty good' as sort-of backup clothes, in drawers or baskets or hanging in the back of the closet.

Then I would splurge on a new "primary wardrobe" -- and keep it at the front.

I just couldn't do a total purge, nor does my life support the idea of wearing my nicest things all the time.

:iagree:

Whatever you do, don't throw your old stuff away before you have purchased the replacement wardrobe. There is always a chance that you will go shopping and find that you like the old clothes in your closet better than the new styles at the mall. Better safe than sorry!

• Like 2

Thinking about this more, another reason I haven't done it is because I'm not that good at clothes shopping and don't enjoy it.  I'm doing well if I can find a couple new outfits I like and that fit well a couple times a year.  I would find replacing all of my clothes time-consuming and a bit stressful.

• Like 3

I've been tempted to do just what you are doing, but can never quite pull the trigger on it - go for it!

FWIW, I am currently wearing a T-shirt I received when graduating from elementary school... :)

OK, you might be a little overdue for a trip to the mall... ;)

• Like 4

It really helps to make an inspiration board, so you know what you're looking for when you shop.  Here's one I made a few seasons ago.  This one isn't actually my personal style, so I didn't shop for it, but I've done ones that I did use to shop from.  The pieces here are probably  a little too "stylish"/flashy  (ok, make that definitely!) - pieces that call less attention to themselves would probably be a better way to go for "real life", but I wanted to show you the idea of creating a mix-and-match capsule that includes a few pieces that can create a variety of looks.  You can see how swapping out a casual shoe for a dressy one, or a cardigan for a hoodie, can really make the pieces work for a variety of events.  Throw in two or three solid-color t-shirts or blouses and you've got even more everyday looks.  Try making a Polyvore or Pintrest board of things you would like to have for the summer, and see what trends and common themes you find amongst them, and take that as a starting point.  (And don't hesitate to look at very expensive sites for inspiration - you can often find similar items at lower price points (or even at thrift shops!!!) once you have an idea of what to look for.)

y.jpg

• Like 1

Yes! And given the full-wardrobe-makeover plan, I'd go to a department store where they can advise you on a basic wardrobe. You don't even need to buy it all there, but let someone guide you into key pieces that you can use as a foundation.

• Like 2

Yes.  There is really no point keeping a bunch of clothes that don't fit or are in such poor shape you won't wear them.  If that is most of your wardrobe, I would say that you need new things.

But what to buy instead is a bit more tricky - your style when you were a single person of college age might not be what you want now.  It might be worthwhile spending some time considering what looks good on your figure and what you like.  Otherwise, you could end up spending a lot on new things that aren't quite right, or are just terminally boring.

• Like 2

I would love to do this.  I really need an updated wardrobe.  Most of my stuff is years old and even then came from a thrift store or from a friend.

I just hate clothes shopping and because I am a size 16/18 it isn't easy to find flattering stuff that I like and can afford. I see things that look GREAT on other ladies in the plus size stores, but on me, they just don't work at all.

I would love to have a wardrobe makeover where a friend or 2 comes along and helps me pick out things that are mix and match but flattering.  I also want COMFORTABLE and WASHABLE.  I don't have a desire for dry clean or hand wash or things that need to be ironed.

If you can do it, go for it.  Take a fashion minded friend and enjoy.

• Like 1

Resist the temptation to over-buy!!!  Summer is short, and you'll want to go through this again in the fall, with perhaps a different color scheme.  You'll eventually need a wardrobe for summer, fall, winter, spring, with some transitional pieces that work between seasons (like cool-spring, and warmer-fall).  

The OP lives in OK...summer is not short! There is no spring/fall really. I'm in North Texas, probably not too far from her, and it really is just summer and sometimes winter. So, yes, do think about the color scheme, but don't hesitate to buy pieces for hot weather. It is much better to have a few more than you *think* you might need for those hundred or so days a year you need to completely change outfits because you have sweated through everything on your body.

I have been slowly revamping my wardrobe, too; it's exciting to find clothes in my closet that are fun to wear! Have a great time shopping!

• Like 2

I did it last week. 

I'm in a different state, house hunting and visiting family. I had nothing to wear that fit and everything was old and worn. My body isn't the same after having Luna. 

I kept a very few pieces, bought a bunch of new stuff, mostly second hand, and tossed all the old, icky stuff. I now have a cute, packable, better-fitting capsule wardrobe.

• Like 2