Menu

I can't be the only one. Anyone else NOT looking forward to the warmer months, pretty flowers, or the beach?

AimeeM

I'm not a Spring/Summer kind of gal. I'm more of an overcast, cool weather kind of woman. I sincerely dislike the water, and the beach; I don't care for things coming into bloom, and the heat just makes me feel sticky, hot, and yucky. 

I'm determined NOT to be Debbie-Downer with the family, so I'll suck it up - the children so badly want to go to the beach this summer, and DH wants to visit his very best friend who lives in West Palm. I want to see his friend, too (wonderful man!), so there's that positive. 

Everyone around me is pining for spring and summer - I feel like a weirdo because I can't wait for it to be November - fall trees, crisp temperatures, leaves on the ground, the holidays, etc.

I was actually born in FL, raised there for several years, and spent my childhood traveling there several times a year to visit family (mother's side is Cuban, and all stayed in the Miami & Key West areas, so we were down there frequently)... but for as long as I can remember, I was more of the "Can I stay back at Grandma's and read a book" kind of kid during the trips.

• Like 7

I'm not a Spring/Summer kind of gal. I'm more of an overcast, cool weather kind of woman. I sincerely dislike the water, and the beach; I don't care for things coming into bloom, and the heat just makes me feel sticky, hot, and yucky.

If only it could be October year round!

I'm from the northeast and had my kitchen window and front door wide open today to let the fresh air in. It was 43 degrees. 

• Like 12

We are moving into cooler weather here, and I am thrilled. I love our humble home, and our windowsill lined with candles, and watching the rain, and gearing up for library trips in the dark evenings, and then warm baths and supper afterwards. I embrace the excuse to hibernate with a stack of books!

• Like 1

Same here, Aimee, to a point.

My favorite season is fall.  I love fall and winter with the colors and earthy fragrances of fall and crisp, clean scent of winter.  I'm remembering living up north where snow falls in the winter. 

I think spring is lovely with the flowers and the fresh rain.  Summer is just hot. 

While I like the flowers of spring and green grass/blue skies of summer too, I do like fall and winter the most.  I'll be weird with you.  I do like rainy, overcast days, but not everyday.  Our pastor likes these kinds of days too, every now and then. 

• Like 2

DH is now talking about (eventually) wanting to get a small place near his friend, in FL, for vacations - something to rent out the rest of the year (or let family stay in), but that we can go to "frequently" during vacations.

I told him I want one where it snows.

He (affectionately) told me I was off my rocker. 

• Like 2

I would be okay with summer if our summers were not typically in the F100+ range. I must have been blessed with a lot of the Norwegian genes in the family because I too like the overcast, breezy days. However, I love water, ocean and the windy northwestern beaches.

• Like 1

Fall is my favorite season, closely followed by winter.  I feel like we sort of skipped winter this year and skipped to spring.  We had an unusually warm, dry winter.  My older two went on a snow retreat with their youth group and there was not enough snow to sled or ski.  I love cool rainy weather.  I love the beach, but where I am the beach is not usually hot or sunny.

• Like 1

I love fall. I miss seasons...

Moving to California means we have 2 seasons: summer and cooler summer (seriously "winter" here is like when it hits the 50s, maybe in the 40s at night. And that is in Fahrenheit. Sometimes it rains and there is wind. Though this year, not enough rain. I can only recall a few instances in 19 years that would qualify as "winter". You have to drive up into the mountains if you want winter. ) 

When I taught in K, teaching the science unit on seasons was tough. I brought in videos of seasons, because no one had any clue except a few whose parents took them to the mountains. "oh yeah, I saw that white stuff once." :lol:  But living in it? They had no idea.

This year we have skipped spring apparently and are heading straight to 90+ degree days. :glare:

Low 70s would be my preferred highs.

ETA: Oh and while the beach is lovely to look at, I despise sand in EVERYTHING. A walk on the wharf, fine. Playing in the sand? oh, please NO!

I hate summer!! I hate being sweaty and sticky and eaten by bugs. I love early spring and autumn, winter not so much because of the dryness. My favorite weather is 60F and sunny, but I do enjoy a really foggy day once in a while or a nice drizzly rainy day. I love the colors of fall and the crocuses just coming out in the spring. DH loves heat and wants to live in Texas. I want to live in Maine, somewhere coastal. I like to look at the water but not be IN the water. :-)

My one consolation this and last summer is that DS has outgrown our yearly vacation to a very small 'resort' that DH's family has been going to for 3 generations. The cabins have fans but no air conditioning, and we've had the occasional hellish week of 95F+. I'm hoping we can go to Boothbay Harbor this year.

• Like 2

It was 96dF today on the ride home from my kids class. I love seeing flowers bloom but hate the hay fever. I love the beaches though as it is so much cooler at the beaches.

Hubby and I grew up near the equator which is very humid. I don't mind the humidity but he does.

Bright sunlight makes me want to crawl into a deep, dark cave and hide.

Humidity makes me want to just give up and die.

Heat is almost as bad, but mostly because our heat here is accompanied by so much humidity.

So . . . yeah.  I totally and completely despise summer.

I have to do massive self-talk to get myself through July and August w/o committing murder.  Anybody who crosses my path is in danger. ;)

April and early May are okay except for the pollen.

Fall and winter -- heaven!

• Like 1

We only get about 6 weeks of real summer weather (and even then, I'm sure the southerners would disagree that 75 could be considered hot) and 5 months of snow-on-the ground, so I've learned to appreciate it. We soak up every minute we can at the beach, pond, wherever, and by the time the water is too cold for swimming around Labor Day we are ready for the next season.

I've never been a summer girl, but I do enjoy it here. It's short, it's cool, it's varied (as easily foggy fleece weather as shorts), and there's a certain energy to it that comes and goes with the tourist tide between Memorial Day and Labor Day. We are earning it this year, for sure.

• Like 1

Fall person here too.  I used to not mind Spring, until my allergies started getting worse and worse and worse. Also, dealing with insomnia issues that get much worse with more sun.  I have trouble with the heat in humidity we get around here.  I feel physically sick many days in the summer.  I get headaches when I'm in the sun too much...and wear sunglasses even on cloudy days.  I'm not a beach person (although I do love those northern rocky beaches, like in Maine).  It's just too much sun for me.   I often tell myself I should have been born in either in the UK or in the PNW.  I love gloomy foggy days the best.

That said, the frigid cold bothers me too... it's gotten worse as I've gotten older (as have my allergies).  So, I'm glad that the worst of winter is behind us.

I think my happy spot is between 50-80degrees. 

• Like 2

I do love fall! Hands down my favorite season. Even November has a certain earthy charm for me.

Winter not so much. Christmas, a couple of sledding and cocoa days and I'm done.

But I love the warm months too. I love the simplicity of the clothes and our schedule. I do love the flowers too. I love the pool, the grill and all the summer festivities.

The beach is great...in the spring or fall. I detest the crowds and the prices in the summer! One of my best vacations ever was Martha's Vineyard in October. Glorious!

P.S.

OP, are you serious that you can't swim?

I don't like spring, but only because of allergies.

I hate summer, because I live in south Louisiana. I hate sweating while getting dressed when you get out of the shower. I hate walking outside and feeling like you are walking into a wall because of the humidity. I hate not being able to send my kids out during the peak heat of the day because of heat warnings. I hate having to keep all my blinds and curtains closed during the afternoons just so our a/c can halfway keep up.

I love fall and I usually like our winters. We have had an extremely wet winter this year though and I am over the rain.

I do like the beach, but we don't get to go often. We have to leave the state to get to a nice beach. The closest one is around 4 hours away in Gulf Shores, AL.

I feel physically sick many days in the summer.  I get headaches when I'm in the sun too much...and wear sunglasses even on cloudy days.

Yes, the summer weather makes me feel physically ill, too.  The combo of sun, heat and humidity triggers headaches and a slight nauseous feeling.

• Like 1

I love snow and winter.  We have a blizzard warning for tonight and I'm excited about it.  I also love fall.  And I love winter clothes - leggings and warm sweaters and lots of layers and thick socks.

I don't really like spring.

I used to be ambivalent about summer, but we spent 11 years in Kelowna where the summers are gorgeous.  With air conditioning in the house and a pool (that took me years to figure out how to enjoy getting into) I was really loving the summer.  I wasn't disappointed when it was over, but I did enjoy walking out on the deck in my bare feet in the morning and having a cup of coffee.  

We now live in Newfoundland. People here are always surprised that we moved here.  I tell them I love it and that gray is my favourite colour :)  I could live without the wind.  And the sideways precipitation.

• Like 1

Same here, Aimee, to a point.

My favorite season is fall. I love fall and winter with the colors and earthy fragrances of fall and crisp, clean scent of winter. I'm remembering living up north where snow falls in the winter.

I think spring is lovely with the flowers and the fresh rain. Summer is just hot.

While I like the flowers of spring and green grass/blue skies of summer too, I do like fall and winter the most. I'll be weird with you. I do like rainy, overcast days, but not everyday. Our pastor likes these kinds of days too, every now and then.

I think the only place you can really enjoy the hot, hot summer is while in a swimming pool.

• Like 1

I do prefer fall and winter and where we live, we get about 2 weeks of both (not really, but it was in the mid-80's yesterday, and spring has truly sprung). Combine that with the fact that my allergies are in a complete uproar and I am extremely sore from having worked all day yesterday putting in the tomatoes and cucumbers.....no, I am absolutely not ready for warm weather.

I agree!  Fall is my favorite season, followed by winter.  I am not a fan of summer at all.  I can tolerate spring to a point, but I have to admit that there is a 70 degree day coming up in our weather forecast and I'm dreading it.  I hide out inside during the summer.  I hate the heat, the bugs, and the brightness!  I am not a beach person at all either.

I lived in Florida for 13 years and I was miserable living there.  I love living in the north where we have a true change of seasons, cold winter weather, and gray, cloudy winter days.

I think I have reverse seasonal depression. Heat and humidity make me miserable! I do like the beach in October though. I love looking at it. Smelling it. Hearing it. Then I get on the beach and it's cold, wet, and I get a sand rash. I'm so cranky.

I would love to live in Seattle or Portland!

• Like 1

We're coming into our hot, dry season here, or at least we're suppposed to be. But it's been cooler than usual here for most of the last few months and I'm loving it. All my neighbors are wishing for normal weather, but I'm loving the rain, wind, and cool weather we've had.

I want to move to Bogota or Quito because the weather is pretty much perfect there all year.

Winter is my favorite season, closely followed by fall. I'm allergic to everything that blooms in the spring. I loathe the hot, humid days of summer. I can't wait for the summer solstice because then I know that the daylight hours will be decreasing. And Labor Day is awesome because then I know the numbers of tourists markedly decrease.

I've always hated summer.

Mosquitoes: (I get HUGE welts) so I can't go out when it's cool in the evening unless I cover myself with poison.

Sunburn: I burn badly after just a couple of minutes unless I cover myself in sunblock.

Allergies: The kick in within 1 minute of being outside--unbearably itchy watery eyes, non-stop (I mean NON-stop) running nose, sneezing. I can't do anything because I have to use my hands to hold tissues to my face the whole time, unless I spray medicine in my nose and take a pill.

Heat. I just don't enjoy sweating and getting stinky.

So, my options are poison, sunblock (and the worry that it causes cancer), medicine for the allergies, and unpleasant sweat.

Going to a pool take hours: gathering stuff, changing clothes, slathering on the block, getting used to the cold water, drying off, coming home, putting away the towels/suits, taking showers from the chlorine and sunblock.

UGH. I'd rather just stay at home reading a book. Easy, no fuss, no poisons in the body. When the kids are gone, I'm going to have food sent to my house and never set foot outside again. It'll be me and Boo Radley.

• Like 1

Oh yeah! Someone mentioned clothes upthread. I prefer winter clothes. They cover more. In the summer I have to worry about things gaping open at the chest, riding up too high on my legs, or blowing around in the breeze showing my underwear. If there are no sleeves or long pants then there's all the shaving that has to be done every single day. UGH.

In the winter I don't have to tug and pull and worry about shaving.

And let's not even talk about footwear. My sandals get sweaty and gross in the summer. I don't know if there's something wrong with me, but if I don't wear socks my sandals are nasty and stinky after about 4 weeks.

I don't enjoy summer at all.

• Like 1

You are definitely not alone. I'm with you!  I love, love, love stormy, gray days!  Snowstorms, rainstorms, it doesn't matter - love them.  On those days I like to be in the house making homemade soups/stews, or sitting in our living room reading a good book, having a cup of tea, and watching the storm from our big windows.  My DD thinks I'm absolutely crazy.

I've never like hot, humid weather at all.  That's why we live in the frozen land of northern Maine.  Right now, as I type this, I'm sitting in the living room with DD next to me on her laptop and DH reading from his Kindle.  Outside a very nice snowstorm is raging and the wind is dancing through our chimes making tinkling music to serenade us as we read and type.  All I can see is the faint shadow of trees through an opaque, ever-shifting curtain of white.  Yes, I just love it!

Spring is nice because I get excited about planting our garden and working in our greenhouse.  In early to mid June, it's finally warm enough to get the plants into the ground.  After that, I could do without the bugs and heat until Fall comes.  That's my favorite time of year with all the color around us and the return of cool temps.

• Like 6

fall and winter are my favorite seasons. I just kind muddle through and just tolerate spring and summer. Although my Dd is a Warm weather, shorts, t-shirt, flip flop, play outside all day kind of girl. So I put up with the beach, parks, river,pools, water parks, for a few months..

• Like 1

I think the only place you can really enjoy the hot, hot summer is while in a swimming pool.

We live in NC (SC border) and it gets very hot for me.  But, I was born and raised in Ohio.  Married and moved to WI and then to MI before moving to NC.  

Some people like it hot.  It truly is very individual.  I have family members who would prefer 85 and above weather!  :ohmy:   Why, I don't know.  It's their norm. 

I prefer cooler weather.  Like a pp said, I like to layer clothing.....leggings, boots, etc. 

I would really like to go skiing again.  It's been a looooong time.  And, build snowmen, snowball fights, etc....

I don't care about the beach in SC but I do like going hiking in the mountains and taking the kids to play in the rivers and streams around here.

I am from OK though and it gets much hotter than this part of SC.

Fall is my favorite season but I am looking forward the warmer months and perhaps making it through one weekend without anyone being sick. Seriously people! Stop getting us sick!

I'd love to be near a beach but we will

Eventually get a lot of heat and humidity. I'm not looking forward to that. But the weather beings lots of great walks and I'm ready to get outside and when it's really hot, we'll crank up the AC and spend a lot of time in the pool. I'll be 8mo preggers in August. I'm bracing DH for the electric/AC bill. ;)

I used to not look forward to summer at.all because we lived in the deep south i.e. south of I-10, first out west and then back east.  Out west it was so bright.  Ouch!  And back east so humid, you just about wilt unless you're on the water.

Now we live really far north and I look forward to summer again, like I did when I was a kid.

That said, my favorite seasons are definitely spring and fall.  During the spring I love the the green popping up after the snow, the new leaves and the hint of warmth in the air.  When fall comes I love the crisp air and the colors.

I do prefer grey, overcast days.

My all time favorite though is watching a storm roll in over the ocean or the desert.  I don't care what time of year :)

• Like 1

I love lots of snow. Now it is 40 to 50. I am not ready for the warmer weather. I want more cold and snowy days or months.

You should be here with us.  We are in the tail end of a snowstorm now.  It's been going on most of the day.  Right now we have about 9 more inches on the ground (on top of the foot or two we have already).  However, we are having a heatwave right now - it's a whole 23 degrees.  Most of February and the first week and a half of March it's been down -30's without wind and -40's with the wind.

Made my homemade chicken w/rice soup for dinner and DH made homemade bread.  YUM :hurray: