Menu

s/o: foods you hate

chocolatechip

So, what foods do you find utterly disgusting? 

For myself, it's:

American cheese (I insist that it's plastic.)

Roasted seaweed "snacks"

McDonald's and TacoBell. 

Those make the rank of utterly disgusting.

For plain disgusting there are:

Mushrooms

Calamari

Raw onions

Fennel

Most commercial fish sticks (the kind that leaves you wondering if there was really fish inside.?)

:ack2:  :ack2:  :ack2:

Your turn!

ETA: I forgot -- Oysters. Thanks for reminding me. Blech.

Also mustard greens. So bitter. . .

I have a HUGE list.  I'm a weird eater though. I don't eat beef or pork because I can't deal with the texture.  I can't say I "hate" them, but I can't tolerate them.  They make me gag.

Oysters

Collard Greens/Mustard Greens

Black Eyed Peas

Fennel

Cilantro-WHY IS IT SO POPULAR NOW???  IT'S IN EVERYTHING!

Raw onion (I like it cooked)

Sardines

Fish sticks 

Mayonnaise

Red Beans and Rice

Okra

Chocolate. Barf. Loathe even the smell. (ETA: OP, just noticed your name. I hope you know it's nothing personal. :D )

Coffee. The smell is great, the taste is terrible.

Any sort of flavored potato chips, popcorn, or nuts. Plain ones are great.

Not much. I'm pretty non-picky.

But I can't stand Mountain Dew. At all. Or skim milk. And I don't like raspberries.

Mushrooms, however, high on many people's yuck lists, are some of my favorite things, and I will eat them in anything I can.

Raw egg whites, or anything close to raw egg whites. I coddle eggs for Caesar salad, but I hate when I don't mix it all well enough and get a blob of the slimy egg white.

Scrapple. I forgot that one. I like sausage but refuse to touch scrapple.

I should also add that I am picky about fat. I can't stand the texture of animal fat, like on chicken or steak or pork. For that reason, I am extremely suspicious of any chicken that I did not prepare myself, especially if there is any kind of sauce on it. I'm not a big fan of pork or ham but will occasionally eat them, and I only like the crispy part of bacon. Turkey is usually pretty meh to me, just not exciting enough to make it worth the room on my plate at Thanksgiving when there are so many more delicious and interesting things (like my scalloped oysters, which are delicious).

Seafood, mushrooms, olives, and artichokes forever, please! And I love tomatoes pretty much any way I can get them.

Zucchini and summer squash in most standard preparations, though I've found ways that I can enjoy it. Cooked standard mushrooms (the plain white ones you find at a grocery store). I like them raw though, and some other types of mushrooms are good cooked. Wasabi.

My list of what I do eat is a lot shorter. I'm a very picky eater and don't stray much from my very limited menu.

I would die before eating any of the following:

Any and all seafood

Coconut

Vegetables besides green beans

Anything from Taco Bell

Anything raw

Any meat not burnt or charred to shoe leather consistency

Peanut butter - I like peanuts but hate peanut butter.

Cantaloupe and its cousins

Jello

Mushrooms

Carrot juice

Goat's milk

Tofu

Liver

With the exception of jello and peanut butter I was forced to consume the other foods as a child. One time my mom gave me choice between liver and cantaloupe. I chose the liver. That was the last time I ate liver.

Right now? Everything. All food is disgusting and I dread having to eat every day.

Ask me in a couple months, though, and I will probably think anything vaguely edible is heavenly and will devoir as much as I can find.

Sigh. Can't wait to hold this baby in my arms and be done with the crazy things that happen to my body when I'm pregnant...

these are items that dh eats (and enjoys) -

(iow: we don't eat plastic cheese . . . ;p  many of the items on your list are not consumed by us.)

pickled herring and sour cream

liver 

Brussels sprouts

calamari

green pepper

What's funny is certain foods I absolutely loathed all my life, like liver, I started craving when I was pregnant and now those are o.k. but some of my favorites I don't really like anymore...

I developed an aversion to chocolate with 1ds.  as in - dh and I went out for chocolate sundaes and I couldn't get it away from me fast enough.  I hadn't even had a pg test.

I got over it.  eventually.

I don't like pickles or liver. I don't care for the texture of mushrooms, but don't mind the flavor or if they are chopped up into tiny bits.

I like or at least tolerate pretty much everything else mentioned so far in the thread. Brussels sprouts? Onions? Cilantro? Blue cheese? Asparagus? Beets? I love all of those things.

I like most foods, but I seem hyper-sensitive to bitter flavors and I'm sure most people don't taste the same level of bitterness that I do. For this reason, I don't like:

coffee

Beer

Brussel sprouts

Eel

Liver

Any artificial sweeteners

I like everything farrar hates, kitten 18, bean, countrygal, bensonduck, Berta, ocelot mom, freckles, mom in high heels and chocolate chip hates. I will admit that I only like a teensy bit of raw onion and tend to pick most of it out.

I LOVE cilantro. My mother HATES it.

I DETEST blue cheese of any kind. The foodie in me is embarrassed, but I cannot eat it. It tastes like vomit to me. I mean that . . . it's not an exaggeration for effect.

Not really a fan of cooked spinach, but that's about all I really dislike. Like Mrs. Mungo, I don't love mushrooms' texture, but I think the flavor is fine.

I guess I'd have to say I hate shellfish, but only because it wants to harm me. Otherwise, I'd be all over it.

Not really a fan of cooked spinach, but that's about all I really dislike. Like Mrs. Mungo, I don't love mushrooms' texture, but I think the flavor is fine.

I guess I'd have to say I hate shellfish, but only because it wants to harm me. Otherwise, I'd be all over it.

On the topic of mushrooms, have you tried Portabellas? They are very dense and feel and taste substantial - almost like meat.

I finally had a durian shake at McDonald's.  After that I was able to eat durian in small doses.

It stinks to high heaven though!

I will not eat cherries or anything cherry-flavored.

Or durian. I can't even smell durian or the bile will rise and durian season is nearly upon me. That means I will be driving around with my car windows up.

I lost my taste and smell a few years ago and what is left in their place is...interesting. I now go mostly by how things make me feel since most taste bad but some still taste/smell too horrible to even attempt.

fast food (except Chipotle and Chick Fil A -they don't taste good but they don't make me feel horrible like the others)

fried potatoes in any form - tots, fries, hash browns, etc. - just yuck!

most condiments - ketchup, mustard, mayo, salad dressings

anything chocolate (except for some reason Ben & Jerry's Coffee Toffee ice cream)

coffee (except see above...)

chips :svengo:

Oh yes, blue cheese, too. And swiss cheese. And other pungent cheeses.

I don't like beer or artificial sweetener, either. This isn't 100% universal - there are artificial sweetener combos that will fool me, though I'll still avoid them on principle if I'm aware. But I can taste the difference between diet and regular soda, for example, and don't like the diet.

On the topic of mushrooms, have you tried Portabellas? They are very dense and feel and taste substantial - almost like meat.

Portabellas are just standard grocery store mushrooms grown bigger :p I'm adverse to them in the same way. Maybe moreso, because there's more of it to taste bad!

I could eat liver all day, though. Postpartum, anyways. The rest of the time I'm a little more moderate, but still like it.

Asparagus--or as it is known in our house, "asparagross".

Pickles--they still make me gag but I don't hate the idea of them like I used to.

Most seafood--my one exception is fish from Long John Silver's. Which kind of makes me suspect it must not be fish at all.

Sushi--nori has the word "no" in it for a reason

Gum--not technically a food but I need to vent. So disgusting--blergh! :p

Sushi, the raw fish kind (love Cali rolls with LOTS of wasabi)

okra

Oysters or clams doesn't matter if they're cooked or not

over-cooked meat (seriously like chewing shoe leather)

over-cooked anything really (oatmeal mush for example)

the only canned veg I can eat is corn and tomatoes (if it's in something)

Runny egg whites, runny yellows are good though

Funny thing though, until a few years ago I couldn't eat: green beans, peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, asparagus, cabbage, olives, or bell peppers.  Now? I love them all. 

Leaf coriander is the food of the demons. It's so disgusting it makes me almost believe in demons. I'm sure Satan picks his teeth with it. Vietnamese mint tastes like coriander so is equally foul.

Do you mean cilantro? I've never heard it called that before, although I knew it was the leaf of the coriander plant. I love cilantro.

OK, I'll play, though I don't have much on my list....

** scrambled eggs

** tuna fish

** liver

Coconut.  

The flavor I can handle - coconut milk, etc (tons of Thai food includes coconut, I had no problems).  

It's that GRATED coconut... OMG.  The thought of it makes me cringe.  **shiver*

Shrimp.  Oysters.  Ugh... GROSS GROSS GROSS.

There are probably others.  I grew up a VERY picky eater, though I have changed a lot since then.  I'll have to try to remember if there are any others I really despise.

Liver, onions, greens, black eyed peas, purple hulled peas, canned mushrooms, anything spicy, black (or white) pepper, imitation dairy products made with soy and canned spinach. I'm sure there's more but I don't remember right now

Anything spicy?  :svengo: I would die.

I detest eggs. Smelly chicken periods. Bleh.