Menu

being out in public during school hours

lynn

Do you feel comfortable running errands,going to lunch etc during ps hours?   we are pretty much finished with school but i am trying to convince myself to just go out and do what we want to do with out feeling like I am doing something wrong, kwim.     so, help me feel better about going out and ignore what people may think..    After all if they must know my dd completed grade 2 doing mostly grade 3 work and 8th grade ds did 9th grade this year.

It has never bothered me to take my kids out in public. I've never had anything said about it. My only problem with being out during school hours has been when we went to our favorite haunts that we like to go to during school hours so that we can have it to ourselves only to find it full of school groups. I've learned to try to avoid those places during the spring. It seems to me that schools don't do any teaching at all in April and May! They just send them on field trips. And get in my way!!! Go ahead and get out.No one cares.

I wouldn't think twice about taking the kids out with me, but then again I have been known to respond to nosey peoples passive aggressive inquiries by starting out: "Not that it concerns you but..." or "Its really none of your business, but since you asked..."

When we were homeschooling we went out and about all the time during the day.  Homeschooling is common here, so there are always kids around.  Plus all the private schools and public school systems around here have widely varying schedules.  It seems that somebody's almost always having a teacher workday.

Never gave it a second thought. We do what we need to do. I rarely get asked about it because Michigan has a lot of homeschoolers and due to being the first state to really address the issue of legality and settling that back in the 80's without registration, testing, or accountability, there are homeschoolers all over the place. People are used to it. The boys have always played outside, and now they ride their bikes when it's nice out for long periods and no one ever questions that either.

I did have to learn to look at the PS schedules before planning outings just to make sure we weren't at specific museums at the same times as school groups. You especially want to find this out before heading to Greenfield Village, Hendry Ford, or the Detroit Institute of Arts because the behavior of the school groups will make your brain turn inside out.

Go and don't worry.  It would be very unlikely for anyone to say anything to you.  If someone did, it would probably be a cashier making small talk.  Treat it as such.  

Cashier:  Shouldn't you all be in school?

You: mmhmm or nope or They're finished for the day.

Remember you need not explain your life to this person. You do not need to educate this person on homeschooling. Just mutter something in acknowledgement (or not) and move on with your day.  They are just filling in the silence with the first thing that pops in their mind.

If someone more official stops you, which is extremely unlikely, just tell him/her that you are registered with your county/school system/state as a homeschooler.  They will most likely nod and tell you to have a good day.

When I started homeschooling, no one (practically) in my area knew what homeschooling was or that it was legal.  This included school board members.  People did get stopped and question.  I still went out, and I never had a problem besides a few curious cashiers.  It was tiring trying to educate people on homeschooling, and now, I don't try.  Nowadays, most everyone has heard of it or knows someone who does/did it.  It's no biggie.

Enjoy your day without worry!  :grouphug:

We do go out during the day (and will be going out to lunch for my birthday today) but I understand your discomfort.  Homeschooling is a really uncommon thing where I live and some have made odd comments or stared at us at times.  We do it anyway.  It IS legal to homeschool so why shouldn't we?  But yes, I do get uncomfortable at times and I don't like the kids feeling like they are doing something wrong (as one particularly pushy lady tried to express to my daughter).

It has never bothered me to take my kids out in public. I've never had anything said about it. My only problem with being out during school hours has been when we went to our favorite haunts that we like to go to during school hours so that we can have it to ourselves only to find it full of school groups. I've learned to try to avoid those places during the spring. It seems to me that schools don't do any teaching at all in April and May! They just send them on field trips. And get in my way!!! Go ahead and get out.No one cares.

Not that it concerns you, but ( ;)) my kids have been on one field trip each recently. 

I don't let my kids ride their bikes or go places without me during school hours, but I don't hesitate to take them with me. 

We have a lot of doctor appointments so we're out anyway.  Our doctors love that we are not limited to after school hours.  So if we're out anyway, may as well stop at whatever store I need to go to, and hey it's been a while since we stopped into a cafe, so... why not?    It's very rare for someone to ask, and if they do, we just give short answers because most people don't really care.  I don't explain anything and certainly not what grade level work my kids are doing.   ;)  As others have said a simple "we're done for the day" or "we homeschool" is good enough.

ETA: If someone seems to be interested in homeschooling in a general way, I will go into a more extensive explanation of it.  But that is really rare.

Never had a problem with it. The only questions I've gotten were:

1. The elementary school crossing guard {we have to wait for the city bus right where she is stationed}. After about the 4th or 5th time of seeing us headed out before the school let out, she asked nicely if dd went to a private school or was homeschooled. She was a fan of homeschooling :)

2. The school police. We live sandwiched between 2 elementary schools {it's a half a mile walk to either one, in opposite directions}. Right after we moved here a year and a half age, dd was playing out in the front yard while I unpacked stuff in the house. A school cop was diving by & stopped to ask why she wasn't in school {he figured we hadn't enrolled yet on account of the move}. Upon finding out we homeschooled, he was very nice & said we would have his chief add us to the homeschool list so they don't have to come out & bother us on account of reports of truancy / child outside during the day / etc from neighbors, since all truancy calls here are funneled to the district police to handle.

I understand how you feel.  I do go out during the day and do whatever needs to be done.  Library visits, doctors appointments, shopping...we do it all if it's needed.  I've never had anyone say anything to me but I do sometimes feel as though people are staring at us.  Oh, well!  Stuffs gotta get done!

Do you feel comfortable running errands,going to lunch etc during ps hours?   we are pretty much finished with school but i am trying to convince myself to just go out and do what we want to do with out feeling like I am doing something wrong, kwim.     so, help me feel better about going out and ignore what people may think..    After all if they must know my dd completed grade 2 doing mostly grade 3 work and 8th grade ds did 9th grade this year.

Yup. I have no problems whatsoever being out and about with the dc during the day.

How your children are doing academically is irrelevant.

I am a little more reluctant to allow the dc to play in the front yard during school hours. Some people cannot grasp the concept that children learn all the time, not just during school hours, or that hsed dc might have completed a whole day's worth of Official School Stuff before lunch and so why shouldn't they goof off, and so they might call some Official Authority Types (it has happened), which might result in awkward and annoying conversations with those OATs. It might just be easier to have the dc play in the back yard, KWIM?

But out and about *with* me? Yeah, no problems. I have a very large chip on my shoulder and would love to have a conversation with a busybody...

Sometimes we blatantly skip school and do errands or go to lunch. It's never been a problem in 12 years of homeschooling. I can count on one hand how many times anyone has even asked 'Did school let out early?' Usually the person askng is a mom who wondered if she dropped the ball and forgot about an early dismissal.

Really, do what you want and stop worrying. People just aren't that in to you :-)

We go out and about whenever we need to.  Honestly, in our area there are so many different schools that it's very rare any more that anyone even asks me why they aren't in school.  

I am truly amazed that anyone keeps their kids from playing outside in the front during the day!  In fact, we have a tradition on the first day of school that involves my kids going outside in the front driveway and whooping loudly as they ride their bikes or scooters while the bus goes by.   I've honestly never even thought about it.  They are often out playing during the day and we live on a relatively main thorough fare for our area.   They've also been known to take short bike rides through the neighborhood without me during our morning break or at lunch . . . never thought I should keep them home.  We've never had a problem.

We don't allow DS outside of our yard during PS hours simply because we don't want to deal with the local PD that frequently patrol.  I'm sure they see him out walking the dog and probably know by now he belongs at home, but there's no reason to give them reason to stop him for going to the library. 

I don't worry about it when I'm home though. I think most people just assume he's out of school for a dr appointment and unless they ask, we don't give reasons.

Of course I feel comfortable running out when I need to, and you should, too. It's no one's business what you're doing, though I don't think most questions by cashiers, etc., are malicious in their intent--at least, that has been my experience--people are just making conversation. I have people ask my son about school all the time, during *or* after school hours. It's just the easy topic of discussion to default to when you're trying to talk to a young child. "hey, what grade are you in?" "Excited about starting school next week?" "Are schools closed today?"

It's no big deal, really. Go out and about whenever you want to. :)

I've never even thought about it, beyond that school hours are the best times to run errands because the stores are less crowded! My kids play out front, ride bikes, and my oldest even walks up to the local Starbucks on occasion. What with early dismissals, inservice days, private schools, alternative learning option schools, charter schools, and virtual schools most people don't even think to ask. Oldest, when out on his own, did get stopped by a truancy officer once. Son said he was homeschooled, officer asked his name and punched it into his little computer, said "yep, you don't show up on my list" and that was that.

I am truly amazed that anyone keeps their kids from playing outside in the front during the day!  In fact, we have a tradition on the first day of school that involves my kids going outside in the front driveway and whooping loudly as they ride their bikes or scooters while the bus goes by.   I've honestly never even thought about it.  They are often out playing during the day and we live on a relatively main thorough fare for our area.   They've also been known to take short bike rides through the neighborhood without me during our morning break or at lunch . . . never thought I should keep them home.  We've never had a problem.

Things are much better now (in most places) than they used to be, but believe me when I tell you that it *has* been a problem for some homeschoolers. Also, many communities have instituted daytime curfews, so children riding their bikes through their own neighborhoods without adults could definitely be a problem. :glare:

I get the side eye from older neighbors in my subdivision sometimes, even though they know we school year round.  I've mentioned it in passing a few times, and that we take breaks as needed (holidays, grandparent visits from out of state, nice weather ;) )  I am at the point I don't care all that much.  We run errands, etc. as needed.  For my own sanity I generally don't run errands until after we are done with school, but we sometimes finish up early on a Friday and head out by 1-2pm.  We've been asked about school being "out" a few times, but most people don't say anything about us being out at the store or a restaurant. I  think they might assume we picked up from school early for an appt, etc. and ran errands afterwards.  Sometimes I do feel like people notice, but again, I don't really care at this point.  My DH also gets a lot of PTO/flex time off, so we will be out and about as a family on weekdays during school hrs.  I almost feel like that attracts more attention than when I'm out with the kids without DH.

I live in a very restrictive state, but our law goes so far as to specify homeschool doesn't have to take place during traditional school hrs, etc.  I don't worry one bit about getting in "trouble" legally, but I do get slightly annoyed by the older neighbors' side eye sometimes.  On the bright side, my neighbor 2 doors down is an elderly lady who lives alone, and her grandkids are HS'd.  She loves our kids and I know she is thrilled when they are outside riding bikes on a sunny day before public school lets out.

We go out and about whenever we need to.  Honestly, in our area there are so many different schools that it's very rare any more that anyone even asks me why they aren't in school.  

In my case... homeschooling isn't particularly well-known here, so a kid out and about in a neighborhood during school hours without a parent around is likely to raise eyebrows and even a call to the police.  I live in a "nice" neighborhood but now and then we have a rash of break-ins, so people are aware of folks who "don't look like they belong" out and about during the day.  My kids are older so they aren't going to be playing but I'd rather they not stick out during the school day.  

But then I was never big on my kids playing in the front yard anyway, now that I'm thinking about it!

We don't allow DS outside of our yard during PS hours simply because we don't want to deal with the local PD that frequently patrol.  I'm sure they see him out walking the dog and probably know by now he belongs at home, but there's no reason to give them reason to stop him for going to the library. 

I don't worry about it when I'm home though. I think most people just assume he's out of school for a dr appointment and unless they ask, we don't give reasons.

Your Police Officers would actually stop and harass children about not being in school? :huh: We have police driving up and down our street at all hours of the day and they have never said a thing to my children or even stared at them. At most they smile and wave.

Thanks for the responses.  I fell more confident to just go out and enjoy the day.  We have gone out a lot during the week  throughout the year and I let my oldest ds take hsing ds to lunch after his classes on Fridays and I always wonder if someone will say something to them.  Nothing has happened it's just me and my runaway brain..... 

I go and do as I please.  Sometimes someone will ask about school.  Kiddos usually answer before I can "we homeschool"  Most of the time reactions are good or just a blank stare.  Ever once in a blue moon someone will say "well that's just not right" or "that isn't good for the kids."  I don't argue I just smile & say "well it works for our family and my children are happy"  and walk away.

We've always gone out during the day.

I try not to take people's conversation starters ("No school today?) as as anything more than that. Telling someone "it's none of your business" or a variation seems like misinterpreting social niceties.

Absolutely. I think these kinds of questions are just innocent chit chat. I usually just say we homeschool and that's that. One younger cashier responded "Cool! Wish I had been homeschooled." Another time at a small town Post office while we were traveling the postal worker gave us an impromptu behind the scenes tour. I've always gotten positive responses like that and now that I live in a big city I don't it would even occur to people to ask.

No issues. I let the kids go out alone too. It helps that there are so many different school schedules here that no one really questions that you might be on a year round school break it a charter school teacher workday or something.

We used to live in an area where a neighboring municipality had a daytime curfew, so we didn't let him ride his bike during the day or anything like that. I really didn't need grief from a nosy neighbor and we had those. 

But we never had an issue going out together. In fact, I used to take him out to lunch after an activity and we liked to watch how people responded. We got a lot of double takes. Grocery shopping in the middle of the day was much simpler. I do think this is an advantage with only one child, people don't really question you much - you could be taking them out for an appointment. With more children, I can see how that might draw a few more second glances and questions. 

As it is now, we're still doing school when the high school lets out, so he doesn't have any issues. 

You are so much nicer than I would be.

Usually it is some grumpy old man or woman making comments.  I want so badly to comment on how well school "socialized" them......

Dh and I have a running joke.  Any time someone is arrested on the news or shoots up a school or whatever, the standard comment in our house is, "Well, at least he was socialized."

Dawn

I go and do as I please.  Sometimes someone will ask about school.  Kiddos usually answer before I can "we homeschool"  Most of the time reactions are good or just a blank stare.  Ever once in a blue moon someone will say "well that's just not right" or "that isn't good for the kids."  I don't argue I just smile & say "well it works for our family and my children are happy"  and walk away.

I am out any time I darn well feel like it.  Some days I DARE someone to question me.  Other days I can shrug it off.  Just depends on my mood.  If I really don't care to deal with it, or am in a little bit of a feisty mood, you may get an earful if you are negative about homeschooling.  Or I may walk away without answering.  Or I may leave you with my 10 year old unsocialized kid who will talk your ear off.

Yup, I go out when I feel like it.

Homeschooling doesn't have to be done during ps hours. We Usually run errands during weekdays because places are less crowded. We occasionally get a "no school today?" to which we typically reply "we homeschool", not that it's anyone else's business, but I usually like to give a simple, polite response. The kids play outside too during school hours, or go swimming, or go the beach etc. I love that we aren't slaves to a timetable - I certainly wouldn't be imposing one when it isn't necessary.

Your Police Officers would actually stop and harass children about not being in school? :huh: We have police driving up and down our street at all hours of the day and they have never said a thing to my children or even stared at them. At most they smile and wave.

Our town has a daytime curfew that says minors aren't allowed to be in public places between the hours of 9am and 2:30pm when the local ISD is in session.  There are exceptions of course, allowing for school, work, medical functions, etc.

So I wouldn't put it at all past them to stop a teenager out and about by himself during a school day.

The first year I homeschooled, I felt like I was breaking some rule if I was out with the kids during the school day.  I panicked when a police car drove by and watched my kids playing basketball in the drive, but when I walked out towards the car he just smiled and yelled, "Oh, I'm just watching the kids play ball!"  Oddly enough, the last few times I've taken the kids out during the day and someone has commented, it turned out that the person had been homeschooled themselves and was curious to find out if we were homeschoolers too!

I have never thought about it, we just do what we want. Although I have found I prefer going to museums and the zoo in the early afternoon to avoid school groups. I even take my kids to the y during the day. There are lots of private schools and homeschoolers in my area and they are all on differing schedules. It's only our first year but we haven't had questions other than people making small talk.

Our town has a daytime curfew that says minors aren't allowed to be in public places between the hours of 9am and 2:30pm when the local ISD is in session.  There are exceptions of course, allowing for school, work, medical functions, etc.

So I wouldn't put it at all past them to stop a teenager out and about by himself during a school day.

I can see that, but I thought the person I quoted was saying she wouldn't let her kids go play in her own yard during the day for fear of the police. I just can not imagine that being a problem.

The only thing I avoid is having DD out in the yard when the school kids are out on their playground across the street, and that's because I don't want to give some poor teacher a heart attack thinking that she's lost one! When it's my whole mythology group, I don't worry about it-I'm pretty sure they don't have a lot of kids running around dressed up as Greek Gods/Goddesses!

Homeschooling is common here.  1/4 of the ps population attend public charter schools and we have many affordable private schools here.  There are 3 different school districts that border each other in our area. Everyone is on a different schedule so people are used to seeing kids out even if their kids are in school.

We go out without a second thought.  I live in an area where homeschooling is pretty uncommon, but I can't recall ever being questioned, or even given a sideways glance.  Or, if I have, I'm seriously unaware.  

If I had a teen going out by himself, I would probably make them a school ID with contact info.  I don't know if we have a school day curfew.  I don't think so.