Menu

Your favorite vacation?

Night Elf

I want a nice family vacation, but we can't agree on where to go. So the only vacation we do is our annual trip to Wisconsin to visit inlaws. I love that trip, but it's not really a vacation. It's really my son who rains on our parade. He's just not a vacation person. We took him to the beach once a couple of years ago and he stayed in the hotel room except for DH taking him to a museum. Dd15 wants to do a cruise but I did one once and I'll never do that again. There's just too much water for me. She also likes the beach. I can do that. I just sat under an umbrella and read my Kindle. We did a Disney World trip when the kids were younger and my son's favorite ride was the People Mover. DH likes the idea of renting a cabin mountain but the kids would be bored out of their minds. I think he's thinking more a vacation for the two of us. I'd love to just plan a trip and announce that's where we're going but I hate the idea of spending so much money and not everyone will enjoy being there.

I'd say my favorite vacation in the past 18 years has been to Disney with the kids. What's your favorite vacation?

Disney.   It is the only vacation that was actually a vacation for me too.  Once you are on the airplane, everything is taken care of.  Your luggage shows up in your room without any effort from you.  No cooking, wonderful food. 
My kids and DH love to travel though and we find things to do where ever we go. No one complains about any trips we take.

My favorite vacation was when we rented a house boat (Holly Brook Marina) for 4 days on the river.We tied the boat along fhthe river at night but you could go to any of a number of marinas for the night. We went to two different springs where we could swim in clear blue water. We loved it but you have to enjoy nature to do this. We did this with our 4 boys and they had fun.

Our favorite family vacation has been a cruise because there is something for everyone.  The teens have their clubs and friends and do things that are age-appropriate.  We still get to do a lot of things together - all the excursions, beaches, ziplining, scuba diving, swimming with dolphins, etc, etc, etc.  We dress up and eat dinner together.  We see the shows together.  The rest of the time, the kids can hang out with their friends.  

Aside from that, Disney.  For the same reason - there's something for everyone.  And, I don't have to cook or clean.  That makes it awesome!

We've done the National Park vacation.  We have good memories, but it was stressful because dd was still young and very much not interested in the "holes in the ground."  We were going to go to Europe and decided last minute not to do it because of the differences in our kids' ages.  It was going to be too stressful.

That said, later this year, we are going cheap and booking an ocean-front Embassy Suites in Myrtle Beach on points.  I'm still researching things to do in the area - looking for Groupons for our adventures and Restaurant.com for meals.

My favorite vacations have always involved a house on water. We've done beach, river, and lake, all fantastic. Dh and a few of the kids like hiking, so vacations usually involve some of that. Half of us like being in the water, the other half like looking at it. We all love boats.

We spend a day at Disney every year, but I can't imagine that being my whole vacation. I don't think I'd come back refreshed. My vacations must include the opportunity for guilt free laying around and reading. I much prefer a house vs a hotel, even though that means I'm cooking. I don't mind.

Good luck!

My favorite vacations are, by far, cruises.  The rest of my family feels the same way.  We love them, and leave for the next (at least DH and I do) in 1 month 8 days 5 hours 6 minutes and 48 seconds.   :drool:

2nd to cruises are our "pick a random spot and go" trips, often where we can drive to.  The last one was Chattanooga.  We went for a long weekend and did all of the things you always drive past but never actually stop to do.  Stayed in a nice hotel, ate like locals, did the touristy attractions.  Great times.  We've done the same thing in Savannah and Tybee Island  (that was a week's worth), Jacksonville and St. Augustine (also a week's worth), Nashville, Asheville, Charleston / Isle of Palms.....you get the picture.

P.S.  And Hawaii.  I adore Hawaii.  Of course it was still a cruise.....

Conway NH because it's beautiful and has lots to do for all ages.  We use to go when the boys were little because of Six Gun City, Storyland, Santa Village, Clark's Trading Post, Whale's Tale, tram to top of mountains, etc.  Now we go for the hiking, swimming, discount shopping and the aerial adventures: http://www.cranmore.com/summer/aerial-adventure-park

No way could I pick just one, even if I narrow it down to just family vacations (instead of couple vacations or individual vacations).

We typically rent a house somewhere for a week, although once DH and the younger kids rented a house in Costa Rica for a month, and our oldest son and I joined them for two weeks. If we are going to Europe, we usually get two house rentals in different parts of the country.

We are all "good" travelers though. We like museums and historical sites and gardens and markets and (except for the youngest) trying new foods.

Your son is old enough that I would probably rent a house and plan activities and let him join or stay at the house, as he chooses.

I don't know how much money you have to spend but an Alaskan vacation is a blast.  There is so much to do there from glaciers to hot springs, to the wild life, to fishing, hiking. We lived in Anchorage for 1 1/2 years and would love to go back for another year.  If you go in the winter there is skiing, snow machining, dog sleds and so much more.  It is not cheap but it is so much fun.

Washington State. It was for a family reunion in Spokane, but we flew into Seattle and spent a couple days there. Then went to Mt. Rainier and drove across to Spokane. On the way back to Seattle, we took the northern route through the Cascade mountains, stayed in this fun place with cabins and lots of wild rabbits, and took a ferry ride back at the coast. It was beautiful and fun.

I have also enjoyed a week at the beach (gulf coast - PCB) but only in the spring or fall. I hate hot hot weather.

It's too hard to pick just one.

Disney's always fun, if not exactly restful.  Once the boys got older they preferred Cedar Point.  There are a lot more roller coasters there, and it's much less crowded.

We took three weeks a few years ago and headed out in our RV to Cape Breton Highlands in Nova Scotia and Acadia, with a few other stops along the way.

Another trip that was really fun was the Everglades and Key West.

For relaxing trips we go to Myrtle Beach.  Yeah, it's tacky.  But there's the beach.  And it's an easy drive for us and we've been there so much if feels like home.  We know our way around, where we like to eat and shop and play mini golf and lots of other stuff.  So it's a getaway but totally non-stressful.

I want a vacation   :crying:   We don't get to do vacations very often :sad: but the 2 favorites were:

a trip to the mountains.  Got a cabin (with extended family).  Bought groceries & cooked most meals, spent the days sight seeing and nights hanging out.  We did do Dixie Stampede one afternoon.

a trip to St. Louis.  Did a lot of free or nearly free activities.  zoo, grant farms, tour Cardinals stadium, took a ride on the river boat, museum under the arch, toured Budweiser brewery, magic house, science center, lots of sight seeing etc.

Washington, D.C. but the traffic is a pain.  Off season during work hours is better, though.  And there is a TON to do for any interest area.

Favorite as a teenager was going to Canada, specifically Milford House and other parts of Nova Scotia.  Best family vacation we ever had.  Plenty of down time, relax time, visit with people from other places time, canoeing, camp fires, etc.

Now it has been a few (or more than a few) years since we were at Milford House, but at the time, prices were reasonable, they packed us phenomenal picnic lunches for our outings when we requested them, breakfast and dinner were provided and were awesome, the people were friendly and it wasn't crowded at all.  We stayed in one of the cabins instead of the main house, which gave us more privacy.  I loved the cabin.  There were also lots of little towns to visit and historical sites to see and a college that was really interesting.  We traveled around Nova Scotia and stayed in several great places but Milford house was awesome.  Our Canada trip, out of all the many vacations we took, was the best experience for me (I was 16 and not big on vacations at the time).

Just checked and it is still in operation but prices have definitely increased...guess that is to be expected, though.  

http://milfordhouse.ca/

Washington dc was great!

In general:

We accidentally came up with a vacation system that works for us. We pick one thing we want to see and build around that. After we know the area and the main thing we pick other things, one thing, or two small things, per day. It usually works out to be a mix of indoor and outdoor.

Rockport Beach here in Texas.

We just lazed in the sun (Well, I didn't since sun + fair skin is bad) and sand all weekend. Sometimes the dolphins will come into the swimming area which makes the kids ecstatic. 

We loved Disney World too, but for different reasons.

Hawaii - we spent a week on Kauai hiking, snorkeling, and seeing the sights.  Then we spent 5 days on Oahu going to Pearl Harbor, the North Shore, The Polynesian Culture Center, and snorkeling (not NEARLY as good as the other islands).  Then we spent 20 days on the Big Island getting scuba certified and doing several dives including a Manta Ray night dive, plus visiting Mauna Kea, Volcanoes National Park, The Southernmost Point in the US, Black Sand beaches - ok - oodles of different beaches, and generally exploring.

It was an awesome, awesome family vacation.  We'd do it again - or something similar - in a heartbeat.  With less time, one would have to pick their island based upon what they wanted to do.

When DH and I first got married, we took our vacation at Disney World.  DH was thrilled and the first night there he ate a banana split for dinner and a hot fudge sundae for dessert.  His drink was a milk shake.  Therefore, he will NOT be planning the meals for the Disney trip we are planning with the kids...  :)

With Disney, you have to pace yourself, though, or people get really tired and cranky by the end...there are some great deals off season, though, and tons to do even in the surrounding area if you want to branch out.

I want a vacation   :crying:   We don't get to do vacations very often :sad: but the 2 favorites were:

a trip to the mountains.  Got a cabin (with extended family).  Bought groceries & cooked most meals, spent the days sight seeing and nights hanging out.  We did do Dixie Stampede one afternoon.

a trip to St. Louis.  Did a lot of free or nearly free activities.  zoo, grant farms, tour Cardinals stadium, took a ride on the river boat, museum under the arch, toured Budweiser brewery, magic house, science center, lots of sight seeing etc.

We've been to the Smokies too and have rented cabins up in the hills/mountains.  We've always enjoyed this kind of vacation!!

I love cruising when it is just DH and myself.  I found cruising with younger kids to be stressful (there was  a MIL factor on that one though).  I would try another one though if we could afford it (without the MIL).  Otherwise, I find most "vacations" to be as much work or more work for me and therefore not enjoyable.

with teens, i pick the destination, and ask everyone to list three things they would like to do on the vacation.  

then, i try to make sure that each of the kids top choice happens early on.  once their needs are met, they seem much more adventurous, or at least not as apt to complain.

and a simple, "You had your top choice, and no one complained.  this is your sister's top choice; don't complain" seems to stop the complaining.  

for your son, maybe a night in the hotel room where he got to order room service or a pizza and play video games would work.  

picking a hotel with a pool might help?

for us, our favourite holidays involve a car and a tent.  dh loads interesting things onto the mp3 player for the car (cartalk being the current favourite).  we have traditional "car foods" that we don't normally have, etc, etc.  

it might be worth a try to work on daylong "staycations" so that you all develop ways to enjoy different things. eg. one day a month go to a museum.  figure out how to make going to a museum fun, or at least tolerable.  then when you do it on a holiday, the skill is already there.  for two of ours, having the headphone recordings for a guided tour makes art museums almost enjoyable.  (and certainly more enjoyable for the rest of us ;).  

hth,

ann

Check out West Virginia.  We took our three teenage boys there and they had a blast...white water rafting, zip-lining (which I had to admit was awesome!), cliff jumping, etc.  I can't remember the name of the place, but they had SOOOO many activities.  Our boys went to bed very tired each night!  We didn't stay on the property, but rented a cute little cabin.  Very pretty.  New River Gorge...or something like that!

My DH picked up bedbugs on a business trip a few years ago.  It was so horrible to have to treat for them (bagging up all our belongings, throwing away many things, washing all the clothes in industrial washers, paying $1000 for the treatments) that I haven't wanted to go on vacation since.  I'm so afraid we'll pick them up in a hotel room again.  

We're staying at home for the rest of our lives!!!   :001_rolleyes:  :001_unsure:

My favorite trip was Maui, because I love the beach. It's warm, but not HOT and ... It's paradise. I haven't gone with kids, but would love to go back with them next year.

We also love Disneyland/California trips. Florida sounds amazing, but it is about as far away from our house as you can go and still be in the same country.

For the last 5-7 years our vacation has been taking a pop-up camper to Colorado and parking at various state parks there. It was a great way to spend time together if you like hiking, biking, rafting, biking, etc. We moved and sold the camper, but will probably do the same type thing in our new state.

I'm with the Disney people. I've only been once. The great thing about it is each person could spend they day as they pleased. During our trip we started the day together. I brought breakfast back to the room. We went to a park and hung together until lunch. At lunch time we  split up. One child was young and had disabilities --he and dh went back to the room for a nap (dc) and cnn (dh). dd and I hit all the thrill rides she wanted. oldest went to Epcot from whereever we were--he liked the street music in "Norway". Sometimes oldest went to Downtown Disney. We met up again at dinner. dd and I were the only ones who liked fireworks, so we went out again. The point is we all had a good time, we were together and we did each get to choose what we wanted. We stayed in a value resort. So, everything was on Disney transit. I think all the splitting up would have been harder if we were offsite. 

I think you just have to be in the mindset that it's OK for ds not to spend all day in the parks or to spend all his time at one exhibit in one park because that is what he likes. Perhaps he'd want to spend all his time at the place in Downtown Disney that has all the computer stuff. Maybe that's not your thing, but if he's happy when you gather at dinner that's good. 

I don't know what your family is like, but I came to realize my family would never be one that could all enjoy the same thing together. For a variety of reasons that is never going to happen. So, the best family trip is when people can pick and choose what they experience separate from the others. 

The other thing we do is we split up an smaller trips. A few of us like the beach. 2 of us definitely do not. So for a couple years I've taken 2 kids for 3 night stays at the beach in cheap lodging. The other one has done short things with dh. 

ETA: I think some cruises offer the same advantage of WDW , in that there's enough to choose from that everyone can have a good time. Even if that means accepting that one person just likes to read in the cabin. As long as everyone is happy it's ok.

My DH picked up bedbugs on a business trip a few years ago.  It was so horrible to have to treat for them (bagging up all our belongings, throwing away many things, washing all the clothes in industrial washers, paying $1000 for the treatments) that I haven't wanted to go on vacation since.  I'm so afraid we'll pick them up in a hotel room again.  

We're staying at home for the rest of our lives!!!   :001_rolleyes:  :001_unsure:

One of several reasons we bought an RV. ;)

My most favorite is Hawaii! We have only been once, but I am currently saving to go again.

My second favorite is the Oregon Coast. Almost as relaxing and beautiful as Hawaii, but not nearly as warm. :) Our favorite town to stay in is Seaside. And because we only live a (long) day's drive from there, it is much cheaper than Hawaii.

I think you have to decide the type of trip that is going to work for your group. That will make it easier to analyze options. You have older kids, so there is a level of independence you can factor into your plans. 

1.  Do you want a trip where everyone doing an activity together -- hiking in a national park, tour a major city (San Franscisco, NYC)

2.  A trip where everyone is in various states of relaxation -- beach or mountain cabin 

3.  A trip where everyone would be able to choose to do different things -- inclusive resorts like WDW or a cruise

4. Some other type of trip 

#1-Hawaii, but with 4 kids this is too expensive now.

#2- Renting a house on one of the Great Lakes during the summer, this is our favorite because we live in Michigan so they are close by & it's just like being at the ocean or better. And not too expensive.

Our next couple of trips will be to DC and then after that a road trip to some of the western states, Grand Canyon, Montana, etc.

Big bucks: the Disney cruise was just awesome and I'm not a Disney-type.

Beach: We really, really enjoyed a Delaware beach called Rehoboth Beach.

DC: I just love DC. If you I'd stay in the Omni DC. It's a tad off the beaten path, but has a resort vibe to it yet it's still in the city.

Alley

Cape Cod in the wintertime is really lovely. I don't know how many lodging options there are that time of year, though, as we stay with family when we go. Summertime was...less delightful.

Utah is also a place I'd like to visit again. We went for the SLC Olympics, and we had a really fantastic experience. We're looking forward to going back some time with a less rigid schedule.

Disney was our hands down least favorite vacation.

I can't call Disney our least favorite, but I do know my kids started having "fun" at Disney by comparing their scenarios to real ones in their early teens.  They much prefer the real ones.

This past Oct I gave our two younger boys (19 and 17 at the time) the choice of Disney (for nostalgia) or the beach and they both emphatically told me BEACH.

The beach was less expensive, so it worked out well all around and we had a great time.

They did love Disney when they were young, but then we traveled other places.  I still don't mind Disney for fun once in a while, but give me a choice of using the same $$ at Disney or Hawaii (or similar) and Hawaii will always win.

It's interesting seeing the differences in preference of people.  Those differences keep the world going around!  I'd hate it if we all liked the same thing (and for vacations, that place would be super crowded and expensive!).

Our best vacations include a little something for everyone.

Our best recent vacation was a visit to Gettysburg and Harrisburg PA.  We did all the museum/visitor center stuff at the national park, then did a self-guided driving tour that included lots of stops and walking.  We also visited the state capitol and an amusement park.  It would have been perfect for my husband and me if the minor-league baseball team had been in town so we could catch a game.  Oh well. 

Another good trip was to an interesting state park in New York, in the Finger Lakes region. We loved the Corning glass museum, hiking in the park, and swimming in the pool. 

So, we like a vacation where we can mix it up:  being outdoors hiking and seeing stuff, museums or other interesting sites, sleeping late, time to read and just hang out.  I think a cabin on a lake or creek where the kids could mess around in the water, but also near enough to a town with interesting stuff to do, would be our ideal. 

My kids have never been to Disney and we asked them recently if they wanted to go. We felt we were sort of depriving them of an American experience, you know?    They were meh about it.  They really want to go to Niagara Falls.  

I would strongly consider letting a 17-yr-old who didn't enjoy vacations stay home. It's really hard to not have that one person kind of drag down everyone else's vacation, plus it would frustrate me to spend money on something he doesn't enjoy  :tongue_smilie: 

If you really want the 'the whole family is going to do something together, and we are going to have fun, darn it!' experience, then I would try to figure out if there is anything cheap and possibly local that he would enjoy for a short vacation. Maybe it could be a stay-cation, acting the tourist locally. Would he enjoy getting to pick that kind of activity/destination? Would everyone else be able to go along and kind of humor him if he has, uh, unusual tastes, lol? If so, that might be a workable way of getting in the family togetherness experience. Then you can plan something everyone else would enjoy and leave him home, guilt-free. 

And if he wouldn't enjoy that? I would still plan a vacation for everyone else to enjoy, with no guilt. I might give him some fun money to spend while we're gone. Pizza for lunch and Chinese for dinner everyday? Have fun with that, son, we'll see you soon! 

So we love to travel and try to do it when time and money allow. We do enjoy Disney World; however, this last time we stayed off site in a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen as well as pools and a lazy river. It is still a family favorite.

Two other vacations that my kids have enjoyed is Pensacola and Virginia Beach. Pensacola has beaches, the Naval museum and old Spanish forts. Virginia has beaches, historic Williamsburg and more. We also visit Colorado frequently and always enjoy it. We usually find places that have a nice mix of historic, outdoors and culture.

We have traveled often and have chosen to cut back on almost everything else so that we could do so.  I don't think I could pick just one thing, but our travels have definitely been the highlight of our children's growing up years.

Some favorites over the years:

Staying at a cabin in the the woods near a lake

Going to National Parks (our favorites have been Yellowstone and Glacier)

Traveling out East, with stops in NYC, Williamsburg, and Boston

Taking the train from Chicago to St. Louis, MO

Renting an apt. in Budapest, Hungary

Traveling through Croatia

Usually (with the exception of cabin-stays) we stay at places that offer an assortment of things to do, so that we have the ability to split up and do different things if we choose.

Can you give your son some activities to plan on the vacation?  (Sometimes for our vacations, we would assign each child a day to plan.)  Maybe having him involved in the planning will help him be more interested.  What does he like to do?  Does he have any special interests that you could incorporate into your vacation? 

I hate to say it, but ds has no interests which is why planning a vacation is difficult. But he's also easy going and will go along with just about anything. I'm thinking another beach trip, but it has to be somewhere that has museums which my son would like better than to be in the sand. He doesn't go barefoot ever, it squicks him out. One problem we have is we're on a school schedule. Dd doesn't homeschool anymore, so we can't just take off whenever we want. I really miss that! This would have to be a summer trip and I'll just cross my fingers that we don't end up in a crazy crowd. At our last beach vacation, it was a college graduation party with tons of students making noise on the beach. It wasn't as peaceful as we would have liked.

Sorry, but I totally understand your DS's dislike of vacations.  I absolutely hate them and end up being the one to rain on everyone else's parade.  The whole experience just stresses me out. More than anything, it drives me NUTS to move at a snail's pace meandering around endlessly.  In everyday life, I pick an activity, formulate a plan and then execute said plan with relative efficiency.  On vacation, everyone wants to dawdle here and there.  No one else wants to have a plan.  It is seriously, like my own personal hell.

That said, I liked visiting Washington DC a few years ago and it was actually really enjoyable for all of us.

When you say your son isn't a vacation person, what is it that he doesn't like? Is it the travel? Being in a different environment? Having to just sit around and "relax"? 

If he likes museums and such maybe a bigger city would be better. My dh loves to travel but isn't great at just sitting and resting. We go to the beach for a week with my parents every year and everyone loves it but dh. He likes being with us but the thought of just sitting around reading, doing puzzles, playing games, sleeping, lying on the beach drives him nuts. So usually he plays golf, finds some local attraction for him and I to visit and stays only a few days so he doesn't use up his whole vacation time there. He much prefers a big city vacation. We've had great long weekends in NYC with the kids. If your son is more of a city guy or musuem lover that might be an option (not knowing where you live...Chicago, San Fransisco somewhere else might be closer). We went to Toronto last summer and really loved it, combined with a visit to Niagra Falls which was amazing.