Menu

I have 10 teachers to buy for this Christmas season. Somebody shoot me now!

AimeeM

What do I get them all without breaking the bank?! Lol.

They are ALL amazing. With the exception of her computer teacher, MI teacher, and music teacher, these are all teachers/classes she has daily.

As per another board I belong to, hot chocolate mixes and crafts aren't wildly popular and accumulate too quickly. Gift cards? To where? For those of you with children in a brick and mortar school where they have many teachers - what do you get them?

I posted this somewhere else, but my go-to is a set of fun Christmas or winter-themed paper plates/napkins/cups. You can get them at the dollar store and they are at least something that gets used. My MIL was a teacher and they really do get piles of awful teacher-y stuff (she has WAY too much stuff with apples!).

I make a cute card that says, "Our Christmas gift you to... fewer dishes to do!" and stack them up and wrap in cellophane with a nice ribbon.

Disclaimer: Like all my best ideas, I shamelessly stole this one off Pinterest. :laugh:  (ETA: Except the card I saw on Pinterest said "less dishes to do," so that's my contribution -- correct grammar!)

We go to the county food bank and get these little catds that say "a donation has been made in your name....". The actual $ amount can be anything, and it's not printed on the card. It's always unique and always a hit.

That's a really great idea. The school is really big on community service!

I posted this somewhere else, but my go-to is a set of fun Christmas or winter-themed paper plates/napkins/cups. You can get them at the dollar store and they are at least something that gets used. My MIL was a teacher and they really do get piles of awful teacher-y stuff (she has WAY too much stuff with apples!).

I make a cute card that says, "Our Christmas gift you to... fewer dishes to do!" and stack them up and wrap in cellophane with a nice ribbon.

Disclaimer: Like all my best ideas, I shamelessly stole this one off Pinterest. :laugh:  (ETA: Except the card I saw on Pinterest said "less dishes to do," so that's my contribution -- correct grammar!)

That's what *I* want for Christmas!!!

I have garage sales with public school teachers and many have an abundance of mugs, cups, towels, lotions, ornaments, etc. to sell so I always steer clear of those items. I have one teacher friend who lives a simple lifestyle plus due to allergies winds up regifting almost everything (foods, lotions,etc) beyond gift cards.

Gift cards to Panera, Starbucks, Amazon, or bookstores go over well. I've also given to nicer grocery stores such as Fresh Market and even Walmart.

One thing I've done at Valentine's Day that was a huge hit was to give the teachers one fancy boxed/wrapped chocolate truffle.

I might have posted this before...

One of my best received coaches' gifts was a 4-pack of beer (can use pop/soda/carbonated beverage of choice). I covered the cardboard beer holder with the team's colors and put a picture of the logo on the front.

I removed 2 of the bottles and filled the space with beer nuts, gum, lifesavers, etc. I also attached a couple bagged snacks like pretzels.

I got 2 florist picks that hold the little cards (our grocery store will give up to 10 for free) and slid in 2 gifts cards to different restaurants.

I wrapped the whole thing in cellophane and tied it with curly ribbon in the team colors.

These were gifts from the whole team. I once made 3 of them for the 3 coaches of one team and the parents loved them and the coaches were thrilled.

Have your child write a short note telling why the class or teacher is great. Cite something specific. Those are great & practically free (assuming you have some notecards or paper already around the house).

If you wanted to, you could then add a short note on the card saying you are "paying it forward" (their kindness, their inspiration,...) so you are making a donation in their honor to a charity.

At Kohl's or most department stores you can find small holiday ornaments that are also picture frames - I sometimes find a set of four in a box for $10 or less - I take them OUT of the box and stick a photo of my kid in the item and gift that. (one ornament per teacher, not all four)

If you have more $$ Amazon gift cards are always useful. 

Very nice cards - and write a note inside of how much you appreciate the teacher's work with your child - that is perhaps the best.   

Rebel.  Stop the madness and the pile of tiny gifts, extraneous calories, overspending and/or pinterest induced cutesy.  Write each a nice letter of appreciation.  And call it good.  If you are financially able, tuck a small amount of cash or supply money into the card.  Free parents from the doom of the obligatory small and usually impersonal gifts that overwhelm our nation's teachers.  

Gifts I gave to both brick & mortar teachers, and tutorial teachers once we started homeschooling:

Starbucks gift cards

Candy in a cute dish

Homemade cookies in cookie tin

Gifts I enjoy getting from students:

Notes the student actually wrote (or signed if too young to write more)

Starbucks gift cards

Candy

Homemade cookies

Ornaments

Plants/Planters

I really can't remember not liking something though, mostly because I really appreciated the thought behind the gift. It is nice to feel appreciated.

I often give Starbucks GCs, and I "package" them using an idea I got from Pinterest: ask for an empty Grande-sized plastic cup and dome lid (like they use for frappuccinos). Then stuff the cup with crumpled or shredded brown tissue paper and the dome with white tissue, stick the GC in the cup so it shows through the side, and tie a card or note to the top of the straw.

If you need 10 similar gifts, you could spend less on the GCs, and then fill the cups with biscotti instead of tissue paper (Costco sells big tubs of them).

Last year for Asher's CC teacher we got her a small Starbucks gift and made her a candy bouquet of her favorite candy (peanut butter M&M's).  In the past for teachers (BSF, Mops), I have made gift baskets from bath and body (small sizes), small handwarmers made from fleece, gift cards to Target and Ben and Jerry's, and sugar scrub in small mason jars.  Here is my pinterest gifts board for inexpensive gift ideas http://www.pinterest.com/christiejarrard/gifts/.

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here and telling you the God's Honest Truth about my teacher gift preferences from when I was a teacher.

I did not want a "craft" no matter how cute. I did not want an ornament (tho yes, I still have some and hang them and am grateful). I  DID NOT WANT ANOTHER FREAKIN' MUG WITH A TEACHER SAYING ON IT! 

A card was fine. Cookies were fine. A gift certificate was great. I recommend Starbucks!

"Nothing" was also fine. 

Now I don't teach anymore--but dd is in school. I do not buy things for public school teachers after 6th grade--before that, when the kids basically have the same teacher all day, I contributed to a class gift card most years, and occasionally (when we had the $) sent in a special gift.

But 10 teachers? 

No. 

One year, I did make a pledge to Heifer International, printed out the card (saying a donation has been made in the name of such and such school) and brought in a nice plate of cookies to the teacher's lounge.

And I guess that's what I"m wondering - at this school, all the students (k-8) have different teachers for each subjects, so all of them (even the elementary students), have 10 teachers, lol.

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here and telling you the God's Honest Truth about my teacher gift preferences from when I was a teacher.

I did not want a "craft" no matter how cute. I did not want an ornament (tho yes, I still have some and hang them and am grateful). I  DID NOT WANT ANOTHER FREAKIN' MUG WITH A TEACHER SAYING ON IT! 

A card was fine. Cookies were fine. A gift certificate was great. I recommend Starbucks!

"Nothing" was also fine. 

Now I don't teach anymore--but dd is in school. I do not buy things for public school teachers after 6th grade--before that, when the kids basically have the same teacher all day, I contributed to a class gift card most years, and occasionally (when we had the $) sent in a special gift.

But 10 teachers? 

No. 

One year, I did make a pledge to Heifer International, printed out the card (saying a donation has been made in the name of such and such school) and brought in a nice plate of cookies to the teacher's lounge.

:iagree:

Mugs/candles/soap tend to come in in waves, and some years are bigger than others for DW.  We do use every gift card she gets, though, and while those might seem boring to students, I think teachers appreciate them the most.  Actually, a good bottle of wine is appreciated the most, but is not the best suggestion for a student-to-teacher gift.

Yes, gift cards.  I like Starbucks, Panera, and Staples.  I've been "smart" carb for 10+ years (no sugar or white flour), so most food gifts a problem for me although I have teens who enjoy them very much  :hurray:  . 

Please no statues, mugs, teacher-themed gifts, soap, candles, jewelry boxes, manicure sets, vases, or clothes.  These are taken to the Salvation Army in another town several months after they are received (shhh!).

I've had students and even whole classes give me framed pictures.  That's nice, but I don't have room to display them all.  

I save all of the handwritten cards.  I love those most of all.  If I was tight on $, I'd make the effort to get or make a card for the teacher and write a message in it.

I always appreciated any little token of thanks from my students when I was a teacher. I only taught for 4 years so I didn't end up with too big a collection of teachery stuff though! I still have and use my wintery mugs for hot chocolate. I liked the holiday ornaments made out of candy canes or life savers. That was in the age before gift cards--I would have loved any of those too. I never gave teacher gifts as a kid (maybe it wasn't done then or maybe that was just my mom), but because I did appreciate them, I like to thank others this way.

My disabled dd has about 10 adults teachers/aides working in her classroom. They are wonderful people and they do so much for all of those kiddos. We'll give each of them one of those small square red disposable Christmas tupperware things with a dozen of the Andes mint cookies and the recipe attached. We've done cookies probably since she was in third grade and have often had the recipes requested so I'm just going to start including it. They're easy to re-gift or put in the teacher room if you can't eat them, the container is re-usable, and they've always been appreciated. Plus we really like baking cookies, so no burden for us!

One side note on gift cards.......... Please make sure they can actually get a treat there without having to spend their own money. My sister got a $10 gift card for Maggianos. That is not somewhere you can go by yourself, nor can you even get a meal for one, for $10. To use the card, she had to spend about $40. Starbucks is great because with $10, you can actually get a drink & a treat. And it's fine to stop there without having to buy for anyone else.

I always like the homemade and/or store bought treats. Even if it was something I personally wouldn't eat, they are great to have to share with others.

I would probably stick with food or gift cards in a situation where you don't really know the teachers very well.

Another idea would be stuff for their desk at school such as good pens and post-it notes.

:-)

I will also say that I know some teachers that won't touch homemade foods that are sent in due to various concerns. Sometimes it winds up in the teacher's workroom to share, other times given away, other times...

However, I will tell you that the most well received gifts I ever gave to public school teachers were homemade dinners for them to take home to their families the last day before winter break. I made REALLY nice dinners--homemade soup, dinner rolls and jam, pies,etc. and it was always a crazy, stressful week for them. I seriously had teachers break down in tears because no one had ever done anything like this for them before, call me at home to thank me, contact me for recipes...and fight over who got to have my kids the following year.  Yes, it was costly in terms of time and money, but so worth it.

I save all of the handwritten cards.  I love those most of all.  If I was tight on $, I'd make the effort to get or make a card for the teacher and write a message in it.

I still have all my handwritten cards from my student teaching days, almost 30 years ago. I keep them with my holiday decorations and pull them out every year and read them.

Well, my favorite present ever for teaching a co-op class was a kid thank you with every other word misspelled. It was for my "spelling and syllables" class. His mom felt compelled to make sure I knew that he misspelled them on purpose, LOL.

My kids liked it when I got candy, I have I bunch of food allergies and they got to eat it for me. Really, the thought is appreciated whatever the gift, but a well done card by the child is nice too.

10 teachers??? :svengo:

Keep it simple and get them all the same thing.

And if it has to be a mug, it should only be the Grumpy Cat mug that says NO on it. ;)

As has already been said, make sure the person can actually buy something with the card, and that they don't have to add money to it in order to get anything.

It's sort of like the idiocy of giving someone the Tiffany's $50 gift card. It's packaged so nicely and looks pretty, but you can't buy much at Tiffany's for $50.00, so the recipient either ends up with something she doesn't want, or has to pony up quite a bit more money to get something she likes.

Last year I ordered sets of personalised post-it notes. It was some online place and I got a good price as it was my first order from them. I forgot one teacher and the one I ordered separately cost me more. This year they are getting sets of bookmarks.

I'm going super cheap with DS's co-op teachers this year. Gifts there are appreciated, but not expected. I'm getting his teachers some personalized pencils. They were talking the other day about how they constantly loan out pencils that they never see again, so I thought I'd get them all a couple dozen pencils that say "Ms. _______'s pencil" or "I borrowed Ms. ______'s pencil" (I'm open to suggestions.) I figure they'll be useful until they disappear.

One teacher is getting pencils that say "I <3 Justin Bieber." I know her humor and she'll love loaning these out to cringing teens who won't want to keep them.

Between preschool, Sunday School, tutorial, dance, and music, I have 19 teacher gifts to buy. No, that's not a typo. Last year I bought ornaments (not cheesy teacher ornaments though). But it was embarrassing when another student (a 4yo only child who didn't have umpteen teachers) brought the music teacher a super nice gift and my kids gave her an ornament. Even a $10 gift card adds up to nearly $200!