Menu

Partying

Night Elf

Did you go clubbing as a young adult, or even go now? I was married when I turned 21 and my husband didn't even listen to pop music, so we never went out. Well, he did take me to a nice bar on my birthday so I could order a drink but we never went out after that. I never sowed any wild oats! I didn't have any! :tongue_smilie:

I did a little when I was in college, and a tiny bit after I got out.  I got married at 23 and had my first baby at 24, so, no, not much partying for me

I do like to go out some even today, but more to listen to bands than to a "club".    I would definitely not classify myself now, or ever, as a "partier" or "clubber". 

Never called it partying. Didn't use party as a verb - pet peeve. :)

But I spent plenty of nights in dark bars listening to great bands. Followed a tour one year. Good times.

Oh, and I did go to my share of drag shows with my bestie, in my very early 20s. Almost forgot about that. Some of that qualifies as clubbing. We were long distance so that was on visits home.

I got married at 27. DH is a musician. We both have interesting histories.

Sure.  The drinking age was 18 in Texas when I started college and drinks were free in the clubs for girls without dates.  My friends and I went out dancing most Friday nights as freshman and sophmores.  Junior year came along and I was just too darn busy with school and had a boy friend by then.  When I left Texas, I went to graduate school and had even less time to go out dancing.

Once I got married, DH and I would occasionally go out but he isn't much into dancing so it was more fun to do a movie or listen to a band.  Then, kids came along and other things. 

Kids are all older now and I took my older ones to the early session at a blues club last year to hear a musician they were really excited about.  Before 9pm, the club serves dinner and lets in families. I can't drink alcohol these days, so we just had dinner and listened to the music.  Does that count as clubbing?

I did a lot of clubbing and partying in my late twenties, when I was newly divorced.

I guess it was fun.  Overall I think I wasted a lot of time hanging out with people who did not add any value to my life.  I had a lot of heartache and a lot of wasted Saturday and Sunday mornings with hangovers.  I don't think people who don't have clubbing or partying on the CVs are missing much.  

(When I say "add value" I just mean they didn't uplift me, help me to be a better person, etc.  They were just partiers with no vision other than working to support themselves and pay for the next weekend's partying.  I obviously wasn't adding value to anyone else during that time either!)

I would still love to go to a place to listen to music, though, but we never seem to have the chance to do that now.

No.  Well, I have been to some clubs in my 20s, but it was always in a large group of guys and girls.  We danced with each other.   Most didn't drink at all but some had a drink or maybe two.  No one got drunk.  No one danced with strangers, and no one went home with anyone else.  It was rather clean fun really.

Dawn

As a young adult, definitely.  In college, we went to clubs till the wee hours.  Then post-college, a friend of a friend deejayed at raves so we did that scene for a while.  And being over 21 by that point, we spent a fair number of weekend nights at clubs.  It seems like a lifetime ago, now.

I lived in a college town and my husband was a musician. He was actually majoring in music and most of the people we knew were orchestra musicians. Still, they went out on weekends but no one ever made a big deal out of us not going. Maybe they just thought we were old married folks. :laugh:  My oldest dd doesn't appear to be a person who likes to party. She goes to parties but comes home early when the people are starting to drink too much. She says it's no fun being the only person not drinking. She takes drinking and driving very seriously, thank goodness.

Absolutely :D

I had the great fortune to see many of the seminal musicians of the era, and often in relatively intimate circumstances. I wouldn't have wanted to miss those opportunities for the world. I went to clubs all the time.

We get out far less these days, but this Saturday Mrs Spy Car and I will take our son to a night-club here in LA (the famous Troubador in West LA) to see an emerging band that we have a connection with.

The oats were well sown.

Bill (never a big drinker, but music-lover? Yes!)

Not really. Not a drinker. Don't really like dancing. In order for me to go to either of those places the group would have to be full of interesting conversationalists or a the venue have a really good band. 

I'd be more likely to go see a good band now. Back then I was working my way through school and even a cover was a lot of money to me. 

One of the great jobs I had in my youth was working for the "then fledgling" (but still extant) local alternative weekly paper, the LA Weekly.

I had a low level position (but one that paid better than I could believe at the time), but the greatest thing about this job was I could call up just about any club in town and arrange a "press-pass" for myself and friend. Did I take advantage of this? And how!

And clubs tended not to "card" members of "the press" :D

Good times.

Bill

I was a teen in a small town.  We partied A Lot from 15-19 but usually at rock pits, campsites or someones house.  LOL  More of what would be considered a Rave today.  15-50 kids depended on the venue and group involved.  Once I was of legal drinking/partying age, I was pretty much done with all of that scene.  We had a dance club in town that dh and I went to once or twice with a group of friends, but honesty the 'Raves' were more fun.  

I worked in a Texas cowboy bar at 17 as a shoe shine girl (they thought I was 21..... :0) .shhhhhhh......LOL )  and again as a bartender at 21 in a tavern.  That was enough for me and I haven't really been back in bars except for special events since. 

As far as oats!  Sowed, fermented and properly drank!  

I did a bit in college. Although I was so straight-laced and a prude that my wild oats weren't all that wild. They were for me. Then I decided that the things I was doing on Saturday night didn't jive with the person sitting in church on Sunday morning, plus, sowing wild oats can get you into trouble, which I didn't want, so I decided that wasn't the way I wanted to live my life.

I did when I was away at college in Texas.  There was a club in Fort Worth that was 18 and up, at least on Thursday nights.  There may have been something else that was going on Thursdays.  That was the day we always went.

When I was single after my divorce, I went to clubs a few times with a friend.   I have never gone out dancing with dh (or ex-h for that matter).

Yes. All the time. I had a great time. I had great friends and we kept on eye on each other. One person was the driver, and we all instinctively knew to watch the other's backs. If one of us had had a bit too much to drink....no worries. Friends there to protect you. If a guy started getting a little forward....friends to jump in and protect you. There is nothing that makes a guy back off faster then a group of girls forming a menacing circle around the female he's trying to put the moves on.

Good times.

Now my idea of a good time is a glass of wine and my couch! :lol:

Never.

I just hated the idea of getting drunk and out of control around other loud and out of control people. Never went clubbing, not that there were any in the little town I grew up in, but even in college I never did any of that.

Whether I was an Evangelical or an atheist, my behavior has always been on the tame side.

I'm a pretty straight-arrow.

Stodgy, I guess. :)

Not really. I was a piano performance major. Music was my life but, outside of hanging at the occasional jazz club for the music, an evening out was to the opera, the symphony, or whatever concert/ballet/theater thing we had to attend as part of the program. Other than that, I practiced A LOT. Dh's version of date night was often to sit cross legged on the floor of the practice room doing his math homework (math and computer science major) while I pounded out some Mozart or Debussy. Oh, we make out for a couple of seconds here or there when I thought I could afford the time, but we were pretty tame.

We were never prone to drinking, but part of that had to do with being on scholarship and not being willing to engage in behavior that would interfere with keeping a good GPA. Sure, we had friends that went clubbing, and some of them were having a pretty good time. But, neither of us felt that was something we could afford to do. That said, I did a short stint as a lounge pianist at a local restaurant/bar...upscale, the tips were good. It was in between semesters so I had a few days to let my hair down. It was a nice crowd, not wild, lots of dancing...but big band era, broadway, kind of stuff and not a drunk type scene.

Guest inoubliable

No. I have never been to a nightclub or anything like that.

I was brought up that they are places of evil - overdrinking, drug use and wild sex.

0.o

Sounds like some rough places in Australia...

I didn't know that going to a bar or club counted as "partying". (Ugh. I hate that word!) Around here, "partying" is something the teenagers do. Like actually get together at a house and... have a house party. 

These days, DH and I usually meet up with friends at their houses for a drink. We don't have a lot of nice bars here. Most of the ones here have names like "Piggys" and are promoting an all-nighter of something called the "boot scootin' boogie". Uh. Pass.

Nope, I even got kicked out of my sorority because I wasn't that much into that scene.  I didn't have a big problem with them doing it, but partly because of homework as an engineering major, and partly because my interests were elsewhere and my budget could not support that kind of lifestyle, I chose not to go and became persona non grata.  *shrug*

We even live in one of the best cities for clubs (ok, listening to live music clubs more than partying hard clubs), but we still hardly ever go, even now that the dc are big enough that sitters, etc. aren't a consideration.

I went to clubs quite a bit in my 20s, but I wouldn't say I was a partier.  I worked full-time and was also putting myself through college, and those were my priorities.  But that didn't stop me from closing down the club at 4am, changing in my car, and then heading straight to work at the restaurant for opening shift at 4:30am.   ;)  Some guys I knew at the time also had a party promotion business, and they were throwing large house parties (think 150+ people) every weekend and getting paid for it.  So I went to some pretty amazing house parties too.

DH and I went to clubs frequently pre-kids, to go dancing or listen to a band.  These days, I'm more into enjoying the music than dancing.  When I go out, I just want to relax - and dancing feels like too much work.   :p  

Well, I bar tended in college and after so it is safe to assume I have spent time in bars, lol.

And I didn't get married until I was well into my 30s so I had my 20s to work and travel and have fun. I have never been one to go out on a 'school night' even when I wasn't in school, but I have spent my share of Saturday nights dancing and having fun with friends.

My dh has a full time day job, but he is also a musician in several bands, so he spends many evenings at bars playing music (although this past weekend he played at a church fair). I never go because I stay home with the kids. If daddy plays during the day then we go watch and it is fun. I am looking forward to having older kids and being able to go watch him play again.

I did way too much partying and clubbing and discoing (!) when I was a teen.  I stopped drinking when I was 21, ironically enough.  

I should have just said, "Yeah, that."  Right down to quitting drinking when I was 21.  I had a rip-roaring drinking and partying career from ages 16-21.  Fortunately, I survived it.

Clubbing -- no.  I think I've been to two clubs, ever, and one was more of a pub, not a place where people were dancing (we went to hear the band).  Not my thing.  Also not DH's thing.  Despite turning 21 in a very big party town, I did not do the bar tour that many students did; instead, DH (then my fiance, as he'd proposed three months before) took me out to a very nice restaurant.  I've only ever had a handful of alcoholic drinks in my entire life, and it's only been in my thirties that I even developed any small liking for any sort of beer at all (or coffee -- which I still only like if it has milk and stevia added).  I've never smoked anything and have been with the same guy since I was 14.  I never did anything bad.  I've never even had a speeding ticket.  I'm boring. :)

(However, maybe that's why I thought becoming a parent was relatively easy.  Wasn't into clubbing or bar-hopping anyway.  I much prefer to stay home.)

I went to parties and functions and clubs, and loved to dance and it was fun, but...  if you were one of the people who hung out in clubs a lot, you would know that "partying" is often a euphemism for asking if you're down with hardcore drug use, or more exactly, if you want to join the person asking you if you like to party when they use hardcore drugs.

That is why I hate, hate, hate any kid's references to partying.  I feel like it's a trick so the first time they go out and are asked if they like to party they are sort of forced into drug use.

Edited because apparently I type too fast to correct my own grammar today.

Nope.  Never.

The ONE time I was a freshman in high school and was going to cave to the insistence from my 'friends' (at the time) to come to a party and drink, my grandma found out and wouldn't let me go.  Which, in all honesty, was awesome.  :D

Within months, I had gotten over those friends and found much better ones, who I stuck with for the rest of my high school career.  Did some of them drink and party?  Sure.  But they never insisted that *I* should.  They knew I didn't. 

So I never went to a party at anyone's house with drinking. 

After I went to college and such, there were TONS of bars and clubs where I went to school (lots of colleges in and around that place - Christian colleges, community colleges, technical schools, and one of the bigger state schools).  The whole downtown was sort of a club scene.  There was a nice little coffeehouse in there - that's where we were!  :D  Then we got married when I was 18, anyway.  At that point I think we went to the movies more than anything else.  :lol:

0.o

Sounds like some rough places in Australia...

I didn't know that going to a bar or club counted as "partying". (Ugh. I hate that word!) Around here, "partying" is something the teenagers do. Like actually get together at a house and... have a house party. 

These days, DH and I usually meet up with friends at their houses for a drink. We don't have a lot of nice bars here. Most of the ones here have names like "Piggys" and are promoting an all-nighter of something called the "boot scootin' boogie". Uh. Pass.

here partying means getting so drunk that you pass out. it is something that many teens do.

Yes, I used to go clubbing all the time. I started with teen clubs around the age of 14 and by 16 I was getting into places I shouldn't have been.

I spent one year of college at Georgia State, which is downtown Atlanta, so I went clubbing a lot. Actually, I started dating some guy I met at a club and, well, sorta dated another guy I met at a different club, kinda at the same time.... The first guy was bad bad news and let's just say it's the reason I quit college after the first year to join the Army.

I straightened up in the Army, so by 19 I was done with the clubbing stuff. I was married at 21 and have not had the desire to ever go back to a club- ever. I saw and experienced way too much bad stuff (I was also a hood eat and spent quite a but of time in neighborhoods where drive by shootings, etc. happened) and I just have ZERO desire to go there again.

I much prefer cookouts, festivals, game nights, moms night out, etc. for my fun now :)

Nope. The few times I went to frat parties in college, I came home feeling all grieved and dismayed (by what I saw -- I didn't even participate besides dancing a bit). I don't know why it effects me that way. I enjoy a few drinks and a great band, but if the scene includes drunk people and randoms grinding on each other, no thanks. It depresses me.

Did you go clubbing as a young adult, or even go now? I was married when I turned 21 and my husband didn't even listen to pop music, so we never went out. Well, he did take me to a nice bar on my birthday so I could order a drink but we never went out after that. I never sowed any wild oats! I didn't have any! :tongue_smilie:

Nope. I never partied. I have never been drunk either. My dad always jokes that he would love to see me drunk, but I am too much of a control freak. :D