Menu

For fun: what do your kids order at the fast-food drive-thru?

SKL

Mine:

Miss A (6):  either cheeseburger (hold the pickles and onions) or McChicken (hold the lettuce).  And apple slices and water.

Miss E (6):  Two plain McChickens, out of which she eats only the meat (Mommy eats the bread).  And apple slices and water.

Yours?

My oldest two refuse to eat McD's. If we go to Wendy's, ds1 gets a cheeseburger meal with milk, dd gets a nugget meal with yogurt and orange juice, ds2 gets a cheeseburger meal with fries and milk. Usually we pack a lunch and sometimes we do Subway which ds gets a pizza sub on wheat, dd gets a turkey on flatbread, and ds2 gets a turkey on wheat.

We rarely go, but we usually just get fries, and we generally go in. 1. I'm slightly hard of hearing and I can never understand what they're saying. 2. The day I get too lazy to get my butt out of the car to buy food is the day I should stop eating fries (time crunch is rarely an issue, sometimes going in is quicker than drive through anyway). 

My kids also like the hotdog kids' meal (with fruit and milk) at DQ, which we just discovered this week.  Also just discovered the BK drive-thru, where they were very impressed with the classic chicken sandwich.  Luckily for my pocketbook, there aren't DQs or BKs on the routes we usually drive.  :)

This week they have been extremely active, so I didn't mind going a little overboard on the lunch food.  :)  We do get into time crunches as I'm a working mom, doing a lot of shuttling between morning camps and afternoon camps these days . . . .

There was a time not long ago when I could say we never ate at drive thrus unless we were traveling.  :P

Let's see...when they were little, the boys would eat chicken nuggets and DD would get a hamburger only catsup. They don't like McD's any more.

My Labrador (RIP) used to split fries with me. I used to hold the fries up to the air conditioner or out the window to cool them off for him.

No drive thrus...  I can't remember the last time I did one.  But when we do fast food, it's usually cheeseburger with lettuce and ketchup with fries to share from Five Guys or roast beef sandwich with apple from Panera.

When my kids were little, I thought I'd try to counteract what I assumed would be the dominant societal message and emphasize that toys with Happy Meals were bribes to trick you into spending more and eating unhealthy food and that places like McDonald's were really bad food...  And I did too good a job.  My kids now think McDonald's is some sort of house of evil or something.  We were in the middle of nowhere not long ago and I suggested we get a soft serve from McDonald's and you'd have thought I suggested we all eat bugs.

Well, until today it was beans, rice and nachos from Taco Bell. Our closest TB discontinued (again) the Mexican rice a couple weeks ago, apparently, and they don't care for the Latin rice or whatever it's called.

So they just ordered beans and nachos today. And they forgot to give us the nachos.

The only other drive-thru we ever hit is Chick-fil-a, and they'll only eat the fruit cups.

Our kid is 15 he gets a #1 large --Big Mac, FF's and sweet tea.  He's hungry in an hour...oh to have his metabolism.  :D

My 17yos has discovered that you can order a McDouble off of the dollar menu and ask them for no ketchup but add Mac Sauce instead. It ends up being like a BigMac without lettuce and the middle bun, but you can get two of them for less than one BigMac.

They won't eat fast food. They have had McDonald's fries but they don't like them. They say they are too salty. Other stuff just grosses them out.  I miss it! And it would make life a lot easier if they would eat it, but it literally makes them gag.

So, the only thing that has ever been ordered at a fast food restaurant is coffee for me.

If we're sticking with drive through, then fries. From Wendy's or Steak and Shake only.

My daughter usually gets a small or medium order and a cup of water.

My son gets two large orders and as large a Diet Coke as I feel like allowing that day.

We do this about once a month, at most.

[Edit: I should mention, perhaps, that the only time we hit the drive through like that is when we are truly desperate for food and have no other reasonable option. If I know ahead of time that we may need to stop for fries, I try to pack or collect from the closest grocery store a few provisions to improve the "meal" as best I can. I try to have on hand a protein bar or two, a container of soy milk, a banana, etc.]

If we expand to include fast-food and quick-service places that don't have a drive through, then my son and I sometimes eat at Subway (or get equivalent subs from the Publix deli). He likes a foot-long veggie with lettuce, tomato, lots of onion, bell pepper and sometimes a little spinach with oil and vinegar on Italian-style bread. He's currently fond of Tijuana Flats, too, where he usually gets three or four hard-shell tacos with the seasoned rice substituted for meat or beans, topped with lettuce, tomato, onion and lots of salsa.

I forgot that he also likes Panera, where his standard order is two everything bagels, toasted, with cilantro hummus . . . and a Diet Coke.

My daughter won't eat at any of those places.

The only fast food we usually go to is Wendy's.  The kids ALWAYS get a frosty and french fries.  Ds gets a vanilla frosty usually and dd gets a chocolate one.

If we go to McDonald's to use the play area, ds will get french fries, dd will get apple slices but that is extremely rare.

My 17yos has discovered that you can order a McDouble off of the dollar menu and ask them for no ketchup but add Mac Sauce instead. It ends up being like a BigMac without lettuce and the middle bun, but you can get two of them for less than one BigMac.

My daughter would love this- thanks for the tip!

We rarely go to the drive through as we go inside when we go. If we are traveling we always combine food stops with potty breaks. If we are eating out it is often to meet friends, so we don't do the drive through then either.

I can't think of the last time I drove through.

Anyway, we prefer Chick Fil A. My boys get either nuggets or a chicken sandwich. One boy likes NOTHING on his, not even pickles. One boy likes EVERYTHING on his including pickles and a sauce of some kind.

Honestly, either the quality of McDonald's, Wendy's and the like has gone way down, or our taste buds have changed because we really don't like any of the burger joints anymore.

No drive thrus...  I can't remember the last time I did one.  But when we do fast food, it's usually cheeseburger with lettuce and ketchup with fries to share from Five Guys or roast beef sandwich with apple from Panera.

When my kids were little, I thought I'd try to counteract what I assumed would be the dominant societal message and emphasize that toys with Happy Meals were bribes to trick you into spending more and eating unhealthy food and that places like McDonald's were really bad food...  And I did too good a job.  My kids now think McDonald's is some sort of house of evil or something.  We were in the middle of nowhere not long ago and I suggested we get a soft serve from McDonald's and you'd have thought I suggested we all eat bugs.

Yeah, I did that too. 

Unfortunately, I heard them parroting back to their friends about the evils of fast food and they sounded so obnoxious and elitist that I stopped and thankfully, so did they.

ETA: To answer the original question, we're typically a cheeseburger and fries family.

I went for a long time without ever eating at those places, from years before I had kids.  Last year I started with McDs once a week, because it was otherwise very difficult for me to feed the kids between activities (and that was the day they had 4 gym classes, so I figured a little indulgence was OK :) ).  Over this summer I've been a bit more liberal because the girls are so physically active.  McD is our usual because they are more conveniently located and the price is right.  Our nearest Chick fil A is out of the way (the political interests managed to keep them out of our county of residence).

Call me weird, but I rather like the taste of an occasional McD cheeseburger.  :P  I don't always order anything for myself, but it's not the end of the world if I do.

As for happy meals, I simply never bought one.  If my kids started asking, I would tell them how much they cost and how many bags of dead leaves they would have to gather in order to buy one for themselves.  They didn't dwell on it.

A month ago, as part of an overall holiday splurge, I bought them their first (and probably last) happy meals.  I think they were underwhelmed by the toy (a rather obnoxious "despicable me" doll).

I found the DQ kids' meal a bit obnoxious, because it came with a large (for a 6yo) ice cream treat.  They should have something in a more kid-friendly size.

Mine is so fun:

Son 1: 20 piece Nuggets, no dipping sauce, no salt fries, no ice drink

Son 2: Quarter-Pounder with lettuce and ketchup only, no cheese, no salt fries, no ice drink

Son 3 {my allergy baby}: grilled chicken patty ala carte, no salt fries, no ice drink

Son 4: Mighty Kid's Meal McDouble HAMburger, ketchup and extra pickles only, apple slices, no salt fries, no ice drink, no ridiculous toy

DD: Mighty Kid's Meal 6 nuggets, BBQ sauce, no salt fries {which she rarely eats}, apple slices, no ice drink, no toy, 

I am always having to wait for the fries and check everything and usually have to go back in to have them remake something with no cheese. I have thought about printing up the order and just handing it to them.

Now I'm hungry!

I discussed the ingredients in most of their favorite fast foods not that long ago. They really don't eat any of them anymore. We do have a drive through at a local Panera Bread and sometimes we do that for take out on a weekend. We were actually in a bind a few days ago and ate McDonald's (which we hadn't in about six months). We all felt so horrible after that we didn't even eat dinner. It's amazing how you feel if you avoid that junk for a while. Seriously, they can pick out crap food at the grocery store every now and then and be okay, but they eats McD's and they feel so bad they don't even want to eat the rest of the day.

I always laugh when people answer a poll with "we don't do that." Well, thanks for saving us the trouble of refreshing the screen, waiting for your menu order. :lol:

We have a McDonald's, Dairy Queen, Subway, and Taco Bell in town. Of those we only use the drive through at McDonald's, and only about every 3 months. So when we DO go, we don't particularly worry about the healthiness of it.

DD17 ordered chicken nuggets with ranch before she became a vegetarian again. She'd probably just ask for fries now.

The 12 year old likes to get a cheeseburger - the bigger the better. He is entering that bottomless-pit stage. Is it the McDouble that is on the value menu?

The 5 year old likes a hamburger, ketchup only. I get him the one from the value menu, not the little basic hamburger.

I like either a Big Mac or 2 McChickens - light on the mayo. If we get fries, we usually share a large (or share two larges, LOL). If we're bringing the food home, we skip drinks and have whatever at home. If we're on the go, I make the kids get milk most of the time. I am too cheap to buy Happy Meals or dessert (but once in a while we will just go for a $0.79 mini cone).

I vastly prefer Subway, and we eat there more often than McD's (but it's eat-in). There we get two foot-longs and split them. We like the Spicy Italian and the turkey one.

My daughter orders either a bean burrito at Taco Bell or a junior roast beef sandwich at Arbys. Those are the only fast food restaurants we frequent. If I'm feeling generous I let her get a french dip, or else I order her a little tub of au jus to dip her regular sandwich in.

As for happy meals, I simply never bought one. If my kids started asking, I would tell them how much they cost and how many bags of dead leaves they would have to gather in order to buy one for themselves. They didn't dwell on it.

A month ago, as part of an overall holiday splurge, I bought them their first (and probably last) happy meals. I think they were underwhelmed by the toy (a rather obnoxious "despicable me" doll).

I found the DQ kids' meal a bit obnoxious, because it came with a large (for a 6yo) ice cream treat. They should have something in a more kid-friendly size.

Dead leaves? As in, how much pulp went into the box?

If we do fast food, the preference here is for In-n-Out. The kids get a cheeseburger, plain (like they do any fast food place.) In-n-Out is their preferred place over any national chain and there's no kids meals options. Their shakes, however, are sugar overloads so we tend to split one among the 3.75 of us who do like them (the toddler loves a good ice cream shake.)

For those wondering, In-n-Out is a west coast chain.

We don't.

L

We don't either. A diagnosis of celiac in one of my dc and another showing strong celiac symptoms got me away from the drive thru 11 years ago. If I'm alone with youngest and he needs something we might go, but he has disabilities and can't order for himself. 

We don't either. A diagnosis of celiac in one of my dc and another showing strong celiac symptoms got me away from the drive thru 11 years ago. If I'm alone with youngest and he needs something we might go, but he has disabilities and can't order for himself. 

I don't think there are any drive throughs around here.  I can't remember the last time we went to a fast food place.  I used to pick up KFC sometimes when we lived in China - maybe six or seven years ago?

L

I don't think there are any drive throughs around here.  I can't remember the last time we went to a fast food place.  I used to pick up KFC sometimes when we lived in China - maybe six or seven years ago?

L

KFC seems bigger in China than McDonalds, an exciting point to ponder.

America has a terrible relationship with food. I suspect other places do not have drive thru because culturally they make time to sit an eat, preferably with family or other people. A drive thru encourages the whole disconnect people have with food (where it comes from, taking the time to eat and be satisfied). OK stepping down from the soapbox.