Do you have leakage?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have leakage?

• Yes, with exercise (any kind)
    • Yes, with normal daily activities
    • Yes, only with sneezing
    • Yes, other
    • Oh, heck no!

I voted Yes (other) because I do have occasional stress incontinence but it has gotten much better since I've been losing weight. Sometimes it will happen when I sneeze, mostly not, though! Sometimes when I do jumping jacks, but mostly not. Sorry I can't nail it down more for you, it's just an occasional thing now.

I think I have a generally weaker bladder after years of having babies AND being overweight. I feel like I have to pee a lot... I'm so glad it's much better now, even though I don't predict it will be gone 100% ever. :)

I think most women who have had a baby have to do the emergency leg cross while sneezing. ;)

odd...I've had 4 and never had an issue. Maybe I'm an aberration.

We were laughing at our then-pregnant kitty a week ago because she was dribbling a bit. She had 4 babies on Saturday, so I guess everything down there was pretty stretched out!

I don't in general. I had one short stint after I had the flu from coughing so much, every time I coughed I'd have to clinch up. But since recovering from that, I haven't had any issues with it at all. I never had any issues before, either, even while pregnant/after birth, it was just that time. I hope it doesn't return because it was so annoying!

Four babies here. I totally have to emergency cross my legs when sneezing. Not every time, but if I'm caught unawares? Yikes. Also out: jumping jacks, trampoline, even running short distances. I do some lazy kegels on occasion, but I hear it's squats that are where the action is for this.

Two babies. And recently, with the coughing I've been having, I've given up on trying to "clinch" and just wear a pad all the time. (though my sister recommends the Depends as more comfortable I haven't broken down and bought them. Yet)

2 kids. Age almost-40.

it doesn't seem to matter how "full" my bladder is. I can have just and sat and cleaned myself out, as I thought. And my body manages to SQUEEZE more out of me anyway!

I need an "other." It only happens when I jump on our trampoline but not other kinds of exercise.

This is interesting, because from what I've been reading, rebounding is actually one of the better exercises for strengthening pelvic floor muscles. Maybe one must jump daily? ; )

I experienced this for a few weeks following my first (and only) v@g nal delivery, but it resolved with regular activity (fwiw, I also had a class 3/4 - whatever the worst - episiotomy).

Oddly, if I go on a caffeine bender and drink lots of tea and coffee (like when it's cold out), I can get the feeling that things are harder to hold in. Maybe drop caffeine and see if that helps?

I've actually considered surgery to correct mine but have decided it isn't bad enough yet and it getting better with me losing weight. Mine typically happens if I am walking and sneeze. I also had a horrible time when I was recovering from the flu, had a coughing spell from out of this world and had to walk across Kohls to the restroom. I had to go home after that incident lol

I can do insanity workouts with no issue, I can jog for 4 miles with no issue but give me a jump rope and its over for me.

I'm 31 and have four kids

I did. After an illness which left me with a horrible cough, I apparently damaged my urethral sphincter. We thought it would get better as i recovered but it got worse. After a few years I got fed up and had surgery last June. My only regrets are that I waited so long to do it and that I had it in the summer, which kept me out of the pool for several weeks.

It was really bad after my second child was born. She was sunny side up and she turned on her way out, and it really knocked something out of whack in that region. I couldn't walk up the stairs, it was so bad. After my third and fourth babies, I could run without worrying about it. Other than very rare times where I've sneezed sitting in a particular position with a full bladder, I don't have problems now.

after forceps on a 10lb+ baby, my insides were ripped to shreds. I had surgery to repair the actual damage. I also do a full yoga practice - which works the entire pelvic floor just as part of the practice. working the entire floor works better than kegals, because it keeps everything in balance so they can work together.

Now - everything is wonderful.

For me, I think that was one fortunate benefit from having only c-sections.

According to my OB the pregnancy is the main culprit. The uterus and baby are right on top of the bladder and stretching the pelvic floor muscles beyond recognition. Also, how the surgeon handles the bladder and muscles plays a role as well. The bladder is actually folded in half and clamped down away from the uterus so the incision can be made. This can cause weakness in the bladder. If the doctor does not do the best job in repairing the lower abdominal muscles this can also come into play.

I actually had a problem with leaking after my first baby (c-section). I did so many kegels during my second pg and then had a VBAC and I've never had leaking since.

I think you can be glad you had a good surgeon and strong pelvic floor muscles. A c-section doesn't mean no or less leaking than vaginal birth.

This is interesting, because from what I've been reading, rebounding is actually one of the better exercises for strengthening pelvic floor muscles. Maybe one must jump daily? ; )

Yes, a rebounder is a good way to strengthen the pelvic floor along with jumping jacks and squats. The trick is that you *have* to kegel while jumping or squatting. It does work.

I have had that problem when I had pertussis, and with a couple of really bad colds, but that applied to when I was a teenager too. Normally I don't have any problems there, when I'm sneezing or doing anything else.

After I hit 40, I started having problems with stress incontinence - like puddle after stubbing my toe. I had some significant pelvic damage due to a jerk of an OB who did a vacuum extraction (unnecessary) on a 10 lb. 11 oz. baby. Not saying I would have skated scott free if he hadn't done it, but he certainly guaranteed some damage. The hormonal change after turning 40 seemed to weaken the rest of my connective tissue and my body just couldn't handle it anymore.

To fix several of the issues, I had my "pelvic makeover" as the nurse called it - a TVT bladder suspension was one of the procedures. Well, I no longer have stress incontinence, but have suffered with occasional urge issues ever since. Triggers like turning off the car in the garage, arriving home after walking the dog, the second I am vertical in the morning. I have done all the exercises (I taught them - I was a childbirth instructor and did significant research on it.) Nothing seems to help. But, I refuse to take drugs for this, so I wear a small panty-liner and try to plan for my triggers.

Only if coming down with a UTI. The signals get out of whack in that case, I guess. And then it's just sort of random, without any coughing or sneezing bringing it on.

Two babies, menopause, virtually no Kegels, and not much of a problem here. Maybe there's a genetic component that causes some of us to go one way or the other?

I had problems after birth of number 3, but they settled down within a few months.

The only times I have problems now is if my bladder is full or I don't drink enough water (weird, I know, but too much caffeine with too little water means I need to go to the toilet a lot, hence the problem being worse then).

Either its because the children way-lay me when I need to go (who would of though two rooms and a mini hall would seem like a never-ending walk with children buffeting me from all sides).

Or because I decide when I need to go, well, I'll finish reading this sentence, or typing out the final bit of this post, and am concentrating, when all of a sudden the dog lets out a gigantic bark, and scares me half to death, causing...yep. Dogs good at that, seems to know when I need to go.

:leaving:

I voted "heck no", but only because I had a bladder lift a couple of years ago. I had leakage in *all* of the situations listed in the poll prior to my surgery. I am now able to play competitive volleyball, basketball, coach my children's teams, and sneeze :-) without leaking. I feel like myself again after years of feeling like I could not live an active lifestyle.

I'm glad this isn't a spin-off of the pussy pussy thread.

No leakage here . . . ever . . . except once during second pregnancy. I thought my water was leaking :-/

I never did yoga or exercises. I did have only two kids and both in my twenties, so I had no real 'bouncing back' issues with any part of my body.

EVERYONE I know who had corrective surgery regrets waiting for it to 'get worse.'

Yes to most, but after three pregnancies I have a cystocele (and the other one too, lucky me). The OB who dx'd it suggested holding off on surgery since menopause can make it worse and kegels will only go so far. My mom also had a cystocele and went for the repair with the cadavar sling, but it's basically been pretty darn near worthless for her so I can't say as I'm too keen on getting the surgery done myself. With my deductible and the bizarre way they bill/pay for fittings a pessary is out at this point as well.

*sigh* tmi?

I think most women who have had a baby have to do the emergency leg cross while sneezing. ;)

I did, after my whopping babies - until my appendix burst and I had it removed laparascopically. Apparently, to clean the area out properly, the bladder is removed through a small hole near the pelvic bone and then reinserted in the proper place.

After reinsertion, I have never leaked again, and I'm in my 50's.

Nasty way to take care of it, but it did.

I'm in my mid-30's and about 50 pounds overweight. I've had three babies, all large, all delivered v@gin@lly, and I've never had this problem at all. Ever. Even while pregnant.

I did not know that this was so common. :o You learn something new every day.

Now I feel blessed to have a strong...pelvic floor. :thumbup1: