Do you have leakage?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have leakage?

• Yes, with exercise (any kind)
    • Yes, with normal daily activities
    • Yes, only with sneezing
    • Yes, other
    • Oh, heck no!

40 next year. Last baby 18 months ago. I voted yes, other. When I'm sick with excessive coughing and/or sneezing is the worst.mOtherwise, if I wait too long and then sneeze or cough. I haven't tried jumping jacks, but those were a problem after #2. I also yoga, Pilates and go to spin class. None of that seems to make a difference for me.

I had more problems and now rarely have issues-----but I broke down and asked my doctor for the "leaky pipes" meds to try as I was waking up 1-2 times a night, every night to pee and then couldn't get back to sleep. It ended up helping some during the day as well.

Mine is not related to pregnancy as my kids are all adopted. It started more after I lost weight....but then again I was passing that 40 mark about then too. The main trigger seems to be hormones. I have very little to no issues from my period until ovulation but have trouble from ovulation to the next period.

I did break down and buy some Poise pads when I had a terrible time with bronchitis and coughing was NOT my friend.

One thing people frequently misunderstand is that it isn't all about strong pelvic floor muscles. Strong muscles only goes so far. But, if the bladder is out of place (cystocele), the strongest musculature is not going to help, due to the angle of the urethra and other pressures. The internal organs are kept in place by connective tissue. Some people have strong connective tissue. Some people have weaker connective tissue. I am genetically predisposed to weaker connective tissue. Also, these tissues can be damaged by pregnancy and/or traumatic vaginal birth. It isn't all about whether or not it is a large baby, but how the baby came out. Having a 10 lb, 11 oz baby is not what caused the most damage to my connective tissue, it was the unnecessary vacuum extraction. Connective tissue can be further weakened as we age because it is kept stronger by estrogen. As those levels fall off, the tissue weakens and the organs may shift position. My stress incontinence was helped by a TVT bladder lift. But, I did suffer some other damage, which leads to occasional urge incontinence. I had been working with an excellent PT (who only did women's issues), but she moved. I have tried other PTs, but they haven't been very knowledgeable. It irks me that a PT can take a weekend seminar on pelvic floor issues and then claim to be an expert in this area! But that is a rant for another day.

One thing people frequently misunderstand is that it isn't all about strong pelvic floor muscles. Strong muscles only goes so far. But, if the bladder is out of place (cystocele), the strongest musculature is not going to help, due to the angle of the urethra and other pressures.
Thank you for saying this.

I had more problems and now rarely have issues-----but I broke down and asked my doctor for the "leaky pipes" meds to try as I was waking up 1-2 times a night, every night to pee and then couldn't get back to sleep. It ended up helping some during the day as well.

I have that problem too, but again, its due to water consumption. Either I'm nt drinking enough water, or have recently started being back on the right amount of water (first couple of nights drinking the correct amount of water, and I'm up and down all night and day. Usually happens when the dogs steal my current water bottle (I use the plastic "disposable/recyclable" water bottles from the supermarket, and usually keep ne filled by me all the time....till the dogs take it or the kids decide to catch flies with one :scared:

One thing people frequently misunderstand is that it isn't all about strong pelvic floor muscles. Strong muscles only goes so far. But, if the bladder is out of place (cystocele), the strongest musculature is not going to help, due to the angle of the urethra and other pressures. The internal organs are kept in place by connective tissue. Some people have strong connective tissue. Some people have weaker connective tissue.

Everything in my body is in the wrong place :tongue_smilie: I was warned after child #2 that my womb had dropped, then after child #3, I was told my womb had dropped into the danger zone. Basically, by itself, its going to cause discomfort every now and again (and worse at Aunt Flo time), but is not in the region of needing surgery unless it drops again. But under no circumstance am I allowed to have another child, my body apparently is too stressed + dropped womb, could mean if I got pregnant, my life could be in danger (as well as that of the unborn child). Most of the day to day aches are similar to small cramps. My body doesn't like me, lol.

I'm sorry to hear what has happened to you :grouphug: and yes, seminars does not the expert make.