Menu

Egg hunt at church?

BakersDozen

Egg hunt at church?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Does your church have egg hunts on Easter?

• Yes
    • No
    • "Other" option that is always included, often for no good reason. :)

We've spent Resurrection Sunday at the same church since dd#1 was born and the church leadership does not include eggs/bunnies in its service. We thought nothing of it until we decided to stay closer to home this year. An email came from the church we will attend indicating an egg hunt after the service. I was surprised as I'd only thought of egg hunts happening at parks a Saturday or two before Resurrection Sunday. I posted this as a poll as I truly do not wish for this thread to evolve into a debate. I'm simply curious as to what other churches do. :)

Yes, but its not a big to-do. We always have a big Easter breakfast at church & we do a small egg hunt for the kids in the classroom while the parents sit and have another cup of coffee before service starts.

Eta: we are a small church with membership around 50-75 if that matters.

Rabbits at Easter and Easter eggs are not new Christian traditions, nor do they detract from all the other things we have going Holy Week.

We'll do ours Sunday afternoon (our Easter is May 5th this year) when we all come back together after the midnight service, which goes until 2:00am or so, with a feast to follow; we usually get to bed about 4 a.m. I used to be a bit anti-egg hunt, bunnies, etc, but now in this Christian tradition, we do up commemorating the Resurrection thoroughly, so I have no problem having some fun like this the next day as we're all still celebrating and rejoicing.

Other. We had one a week before. It was going to be at someones house but due to family illness it was relocated. The children found the eggs and put them in a big basket, then they were shared out evenly. I was glad about that because I hate lolly scramble type stuff.

Yes, on Easter after the 3rd service but before the fourth.

We do not put candy in the eggs. This drives my husband nuts because the candy symbolizes the Sweetness of Christ. We see the egg as a pagan symbol reclaimed for Christ (symbolizes both the tomb and new life), just as we, as Christians, were reclaimed for Him. I have no problem with it.

My church does have an egg hunt. Sunday school for the kids is in between first service [at 8:45] and second service [at 11:15]. One of the reasons they have an egg hunt during that time on Easter Sunday is to give the SS Teachers the day off. But it's been a tradition at this church for the past 54 years so I don't think it'll ever go away. The older church members love to hide the eggs for the children - a lot of them have grandchildren who live in other states and this is their chance to have fun with little ones!

There are always a few naysayers; but they don't have to participate. :001_rolleyes:

Our college group started an egg hunt for the children about 10 years ago. We make it simple and festive, eggs, short Easter message, craft sometimes, snacks because, well you know the candy isn't enough. Ds is making a short movie about the Easter Story this year. It's looking good and funny in parts. Who knew that one bathrobe, one Jedi robe (quite short now) a few fake mustaches and a lace curtain could manage as costumes. :D

We have ours during the normal Sunday School hour after the Easter services. It's not Easter-bunny related at all, which is good, but to be honest, I still don't really care for it, especially because of how a lot of the parents tend to act. We always stay, though, because our children like hanging out with their friends.

You changed your board name!

I saw womanintheshoe and wondered who is this chick? But it's you!

I didn't catch that. Or maybe she changed it after I posted? Anyway it's funny because I was *just* thinking (in the last few days) that the original name didn't quite fit anymore and wondered about changing it to Luvnmy'lvn. :)

Our old church does, the weekend before Easter. Tons of eggs to hunt, activities and crafts. It's for church members, but also as a way to draw in neighborhood families. I think it's a great way to be a good neighbor, a chance to witness and time for fun and fellowship.

Our current church does not, but does do plenty of other activities throughout the year.

Before Orthodoxy dh and I always put together MASSIVE community easter egg hunts through our church. The irony I find is that we do not do that anymore, but we actually have a historical tradition involving Mary Magdalene and red dyed eggs. Funny how things turn out ;)

We recently moved states and I'm too pregnant-sick to church shop so we're at a BIG Free Methodist church because that's what dh was raised (FIL is a Free Methodist pastor.) They have a large Egg Hunt (I think I heard the number 30,000 eggs....) but before they do that they have a "show" for the kids that is an American Idol spoof called "Easter Idol" featuring a singing bunny and a chick, and some other characters. In the end (I know all this because they showed a preview) they have someone show up and talk about Jesus to the "judges" and "contestants" and he's declared the "real Easter Idol" (I think.)

(FTR we don't "do" the Easter Bunny. We give them a stuffed lamb every year (ds4 loves his "flock") to represent Jesus and we usually give a VegggieTale DVD or Bible story book or something like that.)

Yes, during Sunday School on Easter Sunday. Usually it's the teens hiding the eggs for the younger kids while the younger kids do their church school lesson, and then in the last 10 minutes or so of class, the kids go out and find them. Not a big deal for us, because we go to the first service, but I do wonder how parents who go to the 11:00 service manage, since they'll have kids with baskets of eggs they want to explore sitting in church!

Nothing formal. I did do an egg hunt when I was teaching in the children's Sunday School, hiding eggs around the room that had one piece of candy and a piece paper that had part of the Easter story written on it, that the kids then had to piece together in order before they got more goodies. ;)

Yes, during Sunday School on Easter Sunday. Usually it's the teens hiding the eggs for the younger kids while the younger kids do their church school lesson, and then in the last 10 minutes or so of class, the kids go out and find them. Not a big deal for us, because we go to the first service, but I do wonder how parents who go to the 11:00 service manage, since they'll have kids with baskets of eggs they want to explore sitting in church!

Ours is before the service but each child only gets 3 eggs - they can only find the ones with their name on it. So 3 eggs hasn't ever been an issue.

Ours does. It is like many of the others, in the Sunday School hour. I think the midschoolers hide the eggs. Our Sunday School time comes after the contemporary service and before the traditional one. I was actually surprised how many families like going to the traditional service. We have lots of kids attending it.

I go to a Bible Church like John MacArthur's with a pastor trained at that seminary. It's in the Evangelical/fundamentalist category.

The egg hunt in on Sunday morning and the eggs are provided by the church. Then there's the brunch. Then there's a Resurrection Sunday service.

Church services around Christmas time also have many decorated Christmas trees up front.

Our church does not do egg hunts. I think some churches use it as an opportunity to familiarize local families with their church or just for fun. I don't think that is necessarially wrong.

I guess I sound like an old fuddy duddy! We've (my family) moved away from those things because (in our experience), they seem to have become a celebration of spring rather than the resurrection of Jesus. When I was a kid I was taught those things were to remind us of new life in Jesus because he rose from the dead. But I don't see those connections being made today.

So we don't include eggs or bunnies in our Resurrection celebration. We do use Easter baskets which I fill with candy and a few gifts. I'm sure some here would feel that inappropriate. While others might feel we are missing something from our celebrations!! :lol: