Menu

Exciting news re: my 11yo ds.

Some of you will remember that my 11yo ds was diagnosed mildly MR two years ago. He couldn't read, couldn't do math, and couldn't learn much of anything. After a psychiatrist prescribed Vyvanse (an ADHD drug) to "up his processing a little," we started seeing great gains.

I just received his achievement test scores. My boy, the one who the psychologist said needed to be in a special needs room so he could learn "life skills"?

HE IS ON GRADE LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party:

Overall he was at the 41st percentile, with a 70th in reading.:001_huh:

I am almost in tears. He is the hardest working kid I know, and he deserves all that he has gained.

Congratulations to your son and to the M.D. who prescribed that medicine for him. I would think that if one is a doctor, the diagnosis and selecting the best medicine are the hardest parts of what they do. Much good luck to your son in the future. Sounds like he is doing great!

Thanks everyone. I want to reiterate that most of this gain is due to the hard work of my ds. He is an amazing kid! He told me once that before the Vyvanse, he was trapped in his own head. He used to rage because he was so frustrated that he couldn't get through the fog. From day 1 of the Vyvanse, the difference was apparent.

He took that opportunity and ran with it. When he first learned to read, he read everything in sight. He wanted a talking dictionary so he could find out what words he didn't know meant. He kept struggling along, even when he wanted to throw his book (which he did on occasion.) I read him stories of people in the world who overcame severe difficulties, and went on to do great things, and he listened.

I always tell my kids two things and he really took them to heart:

Hard work beats talent when talent hardly works. (read this somewhere)

Nothing is impossible, you just have to work harder. (taken from my grandfather)

There is no doubt in my mind that he is an extremely smart kid. I expect that he will be on the honors/AP track in a few years. He still has work to do in math and writing, but I have no doubt he will get there. He'll always struggle some, but with a few accommodations, the sky is the limit.

Now, to get him spelling.....

Edited by Renee in FL

Thank you so much for posting this!!!

First ---- a million congrats to you & your hard working boy!!!

Second ----- a great big thank you, because later this month I take my 7.5 yr old for an evaluation and I don't know what we'll find. He's smart, but not learning. We've been working on phonics --- just learning the single letter sounds, just consonants even, for two years and his retention is just not there. He tells me all the time "why do I have to do school, I won't remember anyway?"

I'm scared and nervous of what we might learn but this post....this post gives me such hope that I'm crying right now with joy for the gains and advances of a little 11 yr old boy I've never met. Thank you so so so so much for posting this update.

Much joy and rejoicing for the gains your son has made!

Some of you will remember that my 11yo ds was diagnosed mildly MR two years ago. He couldn't read, couldn't do math, and couldn't learn much of anything. After a psychiatrist prescribed Vyvanse (an ADHD drug) to "up his processing a little," we started seeing great gains.

I just received his achievement test scores. My boy, the one who the psychologist said needed to be in a special needs room so he could learn "life skills"?

I am almost in tears. He is the hardest working kid I know, and he deserves all that he has gained.

HOLY MOLY!!!!!!! Great JOB Mamma!!! I have goose bumps! So happy for you both.

HOLY MOLY!!!!!!! Great JOB Mamma!!! I have goose bumps! So happy for you both.