Menu

Life without television?

Television in your house Yes or No?  

1. 1. Television in your house Yes or No?

• Can't live without tv
    • No tv in our house
    • Have tv but have restricted access to it
    • Have tv: no restrictions.
    • Obligatory Other: please explain

We have a tv but no cable and no local channels. It is only on in the evenings when Dh wants to watch a show from Netflix or if we want to watch rented movies. Otherwise, it is a big screen for wii games and a giant monitor for computer games or educational videos from the net or drawing pictures with the paint program or some other type thing.

We haven't seen commercial tv in years, and from what I hear we aren't missing anything.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a TV but no cable, antenna, or satellite. We subscribe to Netflix and we have DVDs. That's all.

We do not watch TV during the week at all except for a rare DVD to go along with science or history.

I workout with DVDs each day or almost every day.

On weekends the boys are allowed to watch TV for a bit. DH and I will watch one or two movies on weekends.

I despise having a TV on for background noise. It makes me super cranky. Can't stand it. I need my house quiet. If I am in the mood for background noise, I turn on classical music softly.

We were TV free for the first 3 years of DD's life.

We now have a giant, gorgeous TV in our bedroom only. We have Netflix but not cable and our DVD collection is Disney videos and everything David Attenborough has done and Star Trek and Star Wars.

Living like this has given my kids ZERO patience for commercials.

We have TV, cable, and no restrictions. Ds rarely watches anything. Dh would die without TV, but it's his entertainment and downtime activity. I have a few shows I watch, but I never can remember to catch them. Ds has a TV, but it's unplugged and sitting on his bedroom floor. :lol:

Now we don't have restrictions on Internet either, so that's our time waster.

When I grew up, we had various periods of time without television. As an adult, I have also lived without television at times, but I have not done so since I have had kids. I have always enjoyed the time without TV and am planning on cutting of our cable TV and internet for the summer. We have internet in our office nearby, so we will still be able to use it if we want. I am looking forward to no television this summer! It makes for a much more peaceful home and for me (especially as a kid) more motivated to "do" things.

I selected "no TV" because I thought it fit best, but I don't quite fit any of your categories.

I'm taking "no TV" to mean no TV in sight, no broadcast TV allowed.

We do have an ancient TV hooked up to an equally ancient VCR, where we watch a family movie once in a while, at least once a year, LOL. We have no antenna or cable, so it can't get any channels. We also sometimes let them watch an old video when they are sick, like a Veggie Tale, even though they are too old for them. The TV resides in an upstairs room that is half guest/half storage. There is no TV out in the living areas.

We gave up TV many years ago because my husband was addicted.

I do have Netflix on my computer. I watch things sometimes, at night or weekends or sick. Only I have the password for this so that my husband is not tempted. I know how to balance a movie with other commitments, him, not so much ; ).

I do get educational Netflix DVDs in the mail now and then for the children. They are not a priority. I have one on Vikings that has been hanging around for three weeks now, and I don't know when we will have time to watch it!

Our children were very small when we gave up TV, so they don't really know anything else. But between dinner (they help), dishes, instrument practice, Bible study, events, meetings, volunteering, cleaning house, laundry, rocket building, and Lord knows what all, I can't imagine when we would have time for television. I think that if you go "cold turkey," you will find that other things fill the vacuum of time.

Hope this helps!

I voted restricted access and other.

I grew up without a television. Honestly, if we hauled the tv out to the curb tomorrow, I'd miss a show or two (Downton Abbey!), but I doubt I'd even miss it after a couple weeks. I would miss Family Movie Night, movie and dinner on the couch, but even that isn't a huge deal. I do like to watch television while I fold the laundry, but music or conversation would fill that space nicely. :)

My dh grew up with unrestricted access to television, and is the reason I don't haul the tv to the curb. The kids watch cartoons before breakfast on Saturdays, but they would usually rather play video games during screen time. (We have time restrictions on screens.)

Cat

We love not having TV. We have A TV, but we watch only Netflix on it, and only on weekends, and only on Saturday for a family movie night. My kids get really rambunctious/aggressive when we watch TV. That is why we limit it so much. Honestly, my kids do not even miss it, and it is a great "treat" to earn every week by doing their chores.

I voted other. We have a TV, but no reception or cable--it's just used for DVDs. There are some things dh and I watch online sometimes--between Hulu and Youtube and network websites, who needs TV? So yes, we do watch some things that are found on TV, but our house is definitely not a TV-culture house, if that makes sense. We only watch stuff after the kids are in bed, and not regularly.

Life without TV is a lot cheaper:D. It's been years, and I have no complaints.

I think it's a switch worth making:).

We have unrestricted tv. I watch one or two shows a week and dd watches with me. Sometimes she'll watch something on her own. I would say our tv has had a busy week if it has been on 3 hours.

We could definitely live without it, but we do enjoy it now and then.

We own a tv, but it's only hooked up to an antenna, no cable.

We restrict our screen time. Nothing out of the ordinary for the hive, but in the town we live in, people think we're insane. Dd gets thirty to forty-five minutes of educational cartoons on Netflix in the morning, and in the evening I watch world news for half an hour while I cook dinner. We have a family movie and pizza night each Friday, and that's it for screentime. Other than that, if dd is awake, the tv is off. I sometimes watch documentaries after she's asleep while I clean, though.

When they made the switch to digital, we didn't switch. My DH missed basketball and football, but not so much anymore. We moved and the previous owners left a huge projection t.v., so we use that for the occasional kid's video, fiction or non-fiction. I'm pretty flexible about that.

Whenever I'm tempted to sign up with cable (or some other option?) I start to think about how much $/hr t.v. would cost, or, how much would I need to watch to make the $/hr feel reasonable. Either way, I usually decide to put it off for another year or two.

I wasn't entirely sure how to answer the poll. I said we have no television but we actually do. We simply never watch television. We don't have cable or dish or anything. We never watch the local channels or anything.

But I feel it's also not accurate that we never watch television. :) We have netflix and we stream it through our Wii. My children are allowed to watch some movies and a couple select shows. But really, months will go by where they won't watch anything, then a month or two where they are really in the mood to watch stuff and do. It's never a daily thing but they will sit down and watch a couple episodes of a show like Avatar: the Last Airbender a few times a week. My children also spend Friday nights with my inlaws and they watch tv over there. I don't think it's a bad thing for them to have exposure to pop culture or be able to talk about kid shows with other kids. :)

Honestly, I just hate most everything that's on TV. I HATE television as "background noise" and find it distracting and stressful. I grew up without TV. So I've never felt I was doing without when I don't have TV. Disconnect my internet, and I practically can't function. My cell phone breaks and I'm lost. ;) But if my television broke, and my kids never told me, I wouldn't notice for at least a year. :)

I voted other. We have a tv, but no service. We only watch DVD's or shows on DVD. We put it on for maybe an hour at night, if that.

No one in the family even thinks twice about not having TV. I think it is really quite liberating :001_smile:

I voted before looking at replies so I may have voted wrong. I voted tv with restrictions. We do not have cable or regular channels, but we do have a netflix account. So I don't know if that counts or not since it could also be watched on a computer.

We watch a half hour show in the morning while we eat breakfast. Honestly it's so I can have a chance to check email, fb, forums, etc... in the morning while she watches so I'm not itching the rest of the day to get on! She can pick whatever she wants from allowable shows, so sometimes it's educational, sometimes not.

We sometimes watch something else later if we need some down time due to being on the go a lot. But I usually make her pick something educational. She can pick Signing Time, Leap Frog, Munchkin Math, or sometimes Veggie Tales.

DH watches documentaries a lot in the morning or late at night. About once a month he and I find a movie or something to watch on a Sat night after DD is in bed. I never turn it on for myself.

TV with Netflix which we limit. We had been keeping it to just one movie per week which is my preference although the past couple of days we watched due to my not feeling well. Dh wouldn't mind to watch more often- like 2-3 shows a week.

We have a couple of TVs. No cable no local channels. One TV is connected to the Wii (used sparingly mostly if it's raining or the kids have friends over) and one TV is in the living room that we'll watch an occasional movie on.

We do use Hulu and we do have Netflix, but we don't watch much TV. I probably watch the most because I'll put it on later in the evening and crochet while it's on.

My kids are limited Sun-Thurs to one hour of electronics (Ipod, computer, gameboy or Wii, but only one hour total) or they can watch a movie/show. They have so much else they do anyways sometimes they don't even get on. They get more on Friday and Saturday depending on what we have planned.

We have a physical TV set but have never had TV programming in the house (no cable, antena etc). The set is used for DVD/VHS and the kids' XBox. We do have Netflix on the computer for streaming. All electronic time is limited around here.

I voted restricted access, because the kids are limited in the time and content that they are allowed to watch.

In regards to my husband and I ... my husband who grew up with very limited access, one 1/2hr show in B/W on Sunday now watches tv all night. Admittedly, he works very hard all day and his feet ache terribly (he fell from a roof and broke both feet a few years back), so he just wants to veg out. I, who grew up with unlimited access can hardly stand the tv. I'll watch a couple of shows during the week with my husband, but I'd rather be reading a book or playing a game. It is definitely a bone of contention between us. I feel like it's a waste of time. But he complains that I don't spend time with him!?

"obligatory other"

We have a TV, but it is never used to watch television. We are HUGE movie fans, have an enormous movie collection (>500 -- lots and lots of older movies, classics) and we have a family "tradition" of quoting our favorite movies/lines from movie at opportune moments :tongue_smilie:

At least one movie per night is watched in our house; it's our family relax time after all schoolwork, chores, dinner, etc. are done -- last night, it was HP OOP (again for the millionth time, but hey that's us).

So while we do have "the box" we don't watch TV shows. We have no cable, no satellite, don't even watch educational TV. These days, if there's anything we want to watch for education, we watch it on the computers.

We also use the TV for Wii and Playstation activities.

~coffee~

Our children were very small when we gave up TV, so they don't really know anything else. But between dinner (they help), dishes, instrument practice, Bible study, events, meetings, volunteering, cleaning house, laundry, rocket building, and Lord knows what all, I can't imagine when we would have time for television. I think that if you go "cold turkey," you will find that other things fill the vacuum of time.

Hope this helps!

Yes, it does! I'm thinking about all the time tv sucks out of your life -if you let it. I think I'm addicted to the white noise.

We love not having TV. We have A TV' date=' but we watch only Netflix on it, and only on weekends, and only on Saturday for a family movie night. My kids get really rambunctious/aggressive when we watch TV. That is why we limit it so much. Honestly, my kids do not even miss it, and it is a great "treat" to earn every week by doing their chores.[/quote'] Again, this is grat info. Sometime I think the more telly kiddies watch the more they want.

WE have digital cable TV now, but for several years we had no TV at all. It was rough for about the first 2-3 weeks until we started to figure out what to do with ourselves. After a few years of that, we then had a TV but without cable. We were with rabbit ears for probably about ten years.

I wish we would go back to that again. My house was never cleaner, more organized, etc. than it was during those years. (OTOH, we also didn't have computers in our house then, either. I think I spend more time online than I do in front of the TV.)

:iagree: Thank you all for your responses. Definitely giving me something to think about.

Well, I voted that we have TV but have restrictions, although that doesn't feel quite right.

My husband is a big TV watcher. So, no matter how hard I try, we're never going to get rid of it. Nor can I talk him into cutting off the cable. When he is home and awake, the TV is on probably 50 - 75% of the time, usually as background noise.

We did experiment at one point with putting the TV in the guest bedroom, rather than in the living room. I liked it, but the rest of the family (especially my husband) rebelled. So, it's in the living room again.

However, the kids and I don't turn it on during the day, except as an occasional treat in the afternoon if my son has finished his schoolwork well and on time. When that happens (once in a blue moon), he might watch an hour or so.

Other than that, it's just a couple of evenings a week and on weekends. Both of my kids are theatre nerds, which keeps them very busy. One or the other of them often has a rehearsal or performance on any given evening, meaning we're not home to watch anything, anyway. On an evening when we're all home, we might watch a movie or a couple of episodes of a show we like.

It's pretty much the same pattern weekends, too.

We have tv with no restrictions. We do not have cable, just Netflix and local stations. It comes on for educational shows or some nights when dh and I watch something on Netflix, but it is not a big deal for us. We are just too busy to have it on much. I do not think we would give it up thought, because my kids have learned a lot from educational shows when was working with a sib.

I voted "other."

We have a television set, but we don't have cable or satellite or anything like that. We do have Netflix Streaming on the Wii. I have two tv shows I watch online. (It used to be a lot more, but I'm down to just one 1 hr show and one 1/2 hr show.) Dh usually doesn't watch anything on the computer, but he likes some reruns on Netflix.

I try to limit time on the tv, but sometimes it is background noise. Ds3 like having Signing Time (whichever one is newest) on a lot.

We currently have t.v. through cable.

However, we have gone without t.v. in the past.

Personally I enjoy our life without it. My children get along better and have much better attitudes in general.

We mainly have it back on now because my husband enjoys all sports (basketball, football, baseball even car racing). It is mostly for him. He works crazy schedules and lots of hours and it is his way of relaxing for him.

That being said my husband is an avid reader, so is my oldest dd.

If the t.v. interfered with developing a love for reading for my children it would have to go. If it interfered with family time it would have to go.

I don't think there is one correct answer. I think you have to decide what is best for your family in the season that you are living right now.

Guest ShellyP

We have TV's in the House, but we restrict the kids access to them. Not just through parental controls, and passwords which filters the content that can be shown. We limit access through no TV's in their room, and we only allow at max of an hour to an hour and a half of TV a night. Studying/Homework has to be checked by me, and there has to be no discipline concerns with their teachers in order to watch. (Ha, TV used to help my kids behave, Genius!) The biggest help for restricting access, is not letting them have a TV in their room, that way we can monitor what it is there doing, and force them to learn to share with their siblings (last one doesn't always go so smoothly). :lurk5:

I haven't voted, but it would probably be "other." We have television sets in our home, but no cable. We don't have "restrictions" per se, it is just not our habit to watch television. With the exception of a couple of "guilty pleasure" dramas my wife enjoys after our son has gone to bed, and This Week with George Stephanopoulos, which is a Sunday morning habit, the TV is off in our home.

We do like films and will watch them together.

Since television watching has never been modeled as something we do, nor something that has been treated as a "taboo" we've just never had issues with TV. The normal situation in our home is that it is off unless we choose to watch a film, or there is something special we intentionally choose to see.

Bill

We haven't had cable for 12 years and don't even have a TV anymore. We do watch some TV/movies via the Internet on our computer monitor (HULU, etc.).

We have a Wii but it's also hooked up to the computer monitor and hardly ever used (maybe 30 minutes a month, if that).

I like not having issues with TV. It's nice having the ability to watch a few things every once and awhile but it certainly doesn't dominate our lives.

Otter spends a lot more time doing more productive things instead of sitting in front of a screen. He's out looking through his telescope, running around with the dogs outside, working on science projects or whatever...

He's also not sucked into the commercials so we've never had to deal with that aspect of TV too.

And hey, I like not having a huge cable bill come in every month, lol.

I'm SO glad we made the decision to get rid of it.

I have no restrictions ;) I cannot function in silence and musoc makes me want to dance, the noise of a movie or tv show I have seen a million times helps me focus. DH cannot watch thongs repeatedly, however, and it drives me nuts.

I try to limit the kids. Somedays I fail....more now that I am pregnant :)

I have a TV but it doesn't get turned on daily. Personally I have no use for it other than to play family DVDs. But my sister watches the kids on Sundays and they get some TV then (usually sports).

We don't miss TV because there is always something better to do. It's never been a daily part of my kids' lives, so we never had to scale it back.

We haven't had cable for over 2 years. We have Netflix and still watch TV shows, movies, etc. but we are much more selective and intentional about what we watch now, and we watch a lot less TV in general. When we had cable, we would have the TV on for background noise and mindlessly flip channels and watch stupid stuff because it was on.

I watch current-season shows on Hulu, PBS app, or NBC app on my iPad or computer. Because it isn't quite as simple as turning on the TV to access it, I'm much more choosy about the shows I watch. (My iPad addiction is a topic for another thread. :blushing:)

Edited by WordGirl

I haven't read the other posts. We've been TV-free for years and kiss the ground that we made the decision.

TV shows are bad enough for kids, but the commercials are just as bad.

Eliminating TV means you've eliminated all the sassy talk from TV kids to TV parents, sexual stuff kids aren't ready to see and tons of advertising.

Plus you eliminate all the begging. Plus you get kids who read. A LOT.

My husband grew up without a TV and insisted that we do the same. Once you give it up it's very difficult to sit through a show. Most aren't interesting enough.

Highly recommend.

Alley

I've always had a TV, and enjoyed it. It's not on all day and all night (or even large portions of either), but DS finds it a pleasant way to wake up in the morning (not in his room - he comes to the living room and watches a show before breakfast), and we all have a few favorite programs we watch regularly.

We still play board games and sit around chatting and spend plenty of time with a nice quiet house. But I do like the option of a TV show when I'm in the mood for that.

We've spent the last month in an apartment with a cheaper "tier" of cable, so most of our favorite shows aren't available... and I do miss them. It won't kill me, but they're fun and I'll be happy to have them back when we move again.

My DD is pretty much only allowed to watch shows during her two breathing treatments she does each day. DH and I were badly TV addicted for a while, but we've been working on restricting our own TV watching and doing other things together instead. We do not have cable though, and I do not miss it at all. I have come to pretty much hate channel surfing and live TV with commercials. We only watch shows on DVD or Netflix.

When I was an exchange student in France, my host family didn't have a TV. It was pretty nice, actually. I read their entire collections of Tintin and Asterix comics. :D

Have tv: no restrictions.

We've never really needed to restrict viewing. Ds is not much of a tv watcher, except for a couple of half hour cartoons he follows. Dh and I watch a few things, too, but don't really follow anything on a regular basis. We just aren't tv people, really. We're outdoors people more than anything.

Well, we have tv but not much in the way of channels. We got rid of satellite/cable/dish a couple of years ago, and we really didn't miss it.

We now watch a little here and there, mostly stuff online. We have Netflix and the kids might watch it at night, or we may find a movie on it here and there.

So I voted other. We aren't TV lovers, by any means... but we aren't really restricting on it either. We just don't have much available. :) I can't complain. :)

I've read many of the posts in this thread, and I would say this is where we are at. The kids didn't grow up with TV, but we do watch films and certain other programs which tickle us. :001_smile:

I haven't voted, but it would probably be "other." We have television sets in our home, but no cable. We don't have "restrictions" per se, it is just not our habit to watch television. With the exception of a couple of "guilty pleasure" dramas my wife enjoys after our son has gone to bed, and This Week with George Stephanopoulos, which is a Sunday morning habit, the TV is off in our home.

We do like films and will watch them together.

Since television watching has never been modeled as something we do, nor something that has been treated as a "taboo" we've just never had issues with TV. The normal situation in our home is that it is off unless we choose to watch a film, or there is something special we intentionally choose to see.

Bill

No TV in our home for 6 years now. About a year ago we got Netflix on our computer. DH and I watch something after the kids are in bed some nights. The kids dont know any different. Dh and I both grew up in very low tv households so this is just the norm for us.

I grew up in a TV free home. Didn't miss it. Read constantly.

We have TV's in our house (No cable or network tv, just Netflix) and my kids watch a little every day- but only after school, chores, and quiet reading time. Sometimes I wish we were completely tv free- I wonder if my kids would read more than they do (they already read daily- they just aren't as passionate about it as I was growing up). But other days- I'm telling you,with 5 kids- I bless that tv set and the quiet it can instantly bring the house! ;)

We have a tv, but no cable or other tv service. The TV lives in the basement, so there's no temptation to have it on for "noise". We sometimes put on music or something if it seems too quiet, but usually with three little kids there's enough noise, TYVM. DD (now nearly 4) didn't watch anything until 2, she watches some netflix shows on the computer or an occasional movie in the basement now. The twins don't watch any tv yet (16mo) It has gotten to be a bit much lately so we're cutting back again. Sometimes I watch a netflix show on my computer in the kitchen while I cleanup after the kids go to bed.

Most of my IRL friends do either no tv or very minimal tv. I'd say we let DD watch more tv than most of her friends do.

Edited by AdventureMoms

I voted no tv but that's not absolutely true. We have one in the basement. We have no cable or anything which means we get a handful of channels. I only use it for weather when we are in a severe storm warning/watch and we use it to watch documentaries for school every now and then.

We do have Netflix so we watch movies sometimes and we also have two shows that we watch online.

Sooooo, we are not really no tv but the reality is that we are tv free for 99% of the time. Compared to the people we know, we are freaks. LOL

The kids are restricted and I almost never watch it. Sometimes I think about watching but don't want to give up my precious quiet time. You will find so much to do/read you won't miss it.(You may also find you are appalled by much of it if you try to watch it again.)