Menu

Life without television?

Television in your house Yes or No?  

1. 1. Television in your house Yes or No?

• Can't live without tv
    • No tv in our house
    • Have tv but have restricted access to it
    • Have tv: no restrictions.
    • Obligatory Other: please explain

We have a tv. How it has been used has varied through the years. For now:

***I watch the most. I have it on most nights whether I watch it or not.

***My daughter watches almost none.

***My son watches an older show or two late at night if he can't sleep.

***My littles get less than five hours per week, often less than two.

***Hubby almost never watches (usually uses netflix on phone or computer in his mancave instead).

I would have loved to get rid of it years ago. I guess I still would.

Hubby is more hesitant though he doesn't watch it anyway.

We seem to pay entirely too much for tv we barely use.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted no, because I'm assuming you mean real tv as in cable. We have a television set, but it is only used for video/dvd/wii. Any shows we watch - and there are certain ones that my girls and myself like - we watch streaming on the computer. I guess "no television" is sort of nebulous anymore. We've never had cable, though, and I'm really glad.

Have tv, restricted access.

We have one in the living room, one in our (the adults') bedroom. We watch movies on the one downstairs as a family, sometimes my husband will put on football, soccer or lacrosse in season. We have antenna, so the options are limited even then.

The one in our bedroom goes on when we go to bed. It's a bad habit, but I honestly need something to focus part of my brain on the fall asleep. Without it, I have mind racing.

I can say that my children are much more self-entertaining, less prone to fighting amongst themselves, and have a much longer attention span, with less boredom, since we turned off the tv a few years ago. And I can tell when it's crept back in to the habit zone because they are all bored and fight over petty things, and have no attention span when it has. (usually after there has been some rampaging disease in the house and they've spent a couple days camped out in front of movies with barf buckets... And then it doesn't seem to go back off when everyone has recovered)

We got rid of cable a couple of years ago and while we have a digital antenna, it is terrible, so we don't use it anymore. We have Netflix and Amazon streaming. We don't watch very much. I really prefer not to have it on at all--I especially don't like to hear my DD asking to watch something.

Funnily enough, we had a junky old TV a few years ago that was about to stop working, and I would have loved to have no TV at all at that point, but DH won a flat screen at a work party right around that time. I couldn't believe it. :lol:

We have a television only because my husband believes he can't live without it. Me, personally. I can live without it. Granted there are maybe a few shows I enjoy watching , but I can even watch them online.

Most times our tv is on for white noise , not like we don't have enough with four children. LOL

Anyways we did live without tv when our oldest was about 3yrs old. We lived in a part of the county where tv signals could not be picked up, cable was to expensive so we lived without it for quite some time. That was the best time because I read more to my daughter, and she picked up so much when it came to reading. We moved since then, still live in a place where we can't pick up a signal but my husband has made sure we have money for the cable bill. LOL I still could live without it.

But my computer is a whole other story. Its something I can't live without because its my access to the outside world. Living in the country and no friends that come over or neighbors. Well you can only live on an island for so long. :>)

I voted TV with restrictions, but it isn't so much that we have restrictions as a lifestyle of "not watching".

DH and I are big TV/movie geeks, but when we had the kids we adopted a policy of not having the TV on when the kids are awake. As a rule we have too many other things we'd rather be doing than watching TV during the day so the TV just doesn't get turned on most days. We do a family movie night about 2-3 times a month with netflix or rentals or whatever, and if the kids do watch something it's almost always a nature show (usually on Netflix) but they've seen their fair share of Mickey Mouse and all that. It's not a big deal to them if they don't watch for several days in a row or anything.

DH and I watch TV after the kids are in bed, though nothing current now that Chuck is over. We're watching through DS9 again right now and after that will be another round through Buffy. We are also both big baseball fans so there is a lot of baseball watching March-October.

We have 2 tvs but no cable. The kids watch something on DVD maybe 2 or 3 times per week. Watching a movie or something streaming from the internet while knitting after the kids are in bed is one of my guilty pleasures. :D. We are probably movie geeks too.

We have had satellite for the past two years. Prior to that we had a TV which we used for netflix and wii games only. We are very low tv watching family in general. Getting satellite has not dramatically increased our watching time (it did go up when we first got satellite, but now we marvel at how little there is on we care to watch) and we will probably get rid of satellite now that the 2 year pricing is up! We do not keep the tv on in the background. My kids are teens now and they do not get many of the pop culture references the neighbors make. But, they sure know a lot about Dr. Who, Red Dwarf and Star Trek Next Generation. :)

Don't really watch it in our house. DH calls it a once-every-four-years appliance. He watches the presidential debates, the Olympics and the World Cup (soccer). The rest of us sometimes watch PBS. The occasional show I think I should watch for my own pop culture education (e.g., I wanted to see what Undercover Boss was like), I watch online. Don't miss TV at all since we turned it off. Still use the actual tube for DVDs every once in a while, though. (Read: once every 4-6 weeks.)

We have a physical TV but it receives no channels. We do use it to watch a limited number DVDs but that is it. We don't even subscribe to netflix or any other such service.

I grew up in a home where there was frequent, almost constant, TV watching and now I have swung in the complete opposite direction. The real interesting bit is that none of my brothers or sisters watch TV with their families either.