Menu

What do you do when you really, really, really need to buy new clothes…

And you hate the styles that are available and you have hated the styles for years?

Inspired by the title of this thread:

Attention Clothing Designers of America listen up! I SPEW ON YOU! (Shopping vent)

My own rant :rant:

I don’t want sequins, beads, jewels, or metal rings

I don’t want thin and see through

I don't want fraying after a month

I don’t want to look pregnant

I don’t want to look like a peasant

I don’t particularly want spandex

I don’t want skin tight

I don’t want pockets over my breasts

Thankfully, I LOVE LL Bean Double L Jeans – why don’t they make Double L shorts anymore???

I love crop tops, but they haven’t been in style in forever. The newer ones show all in a strong breeze anyway

I want shirts – polo, button down, scoop neck in prints (prefer pastel, non-busy floral)

I want slacks with 4 usable pockets

I want cotton or cotton/poly blend

I like LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, but 95% of their clothes are solid colors – so boring

My clothes are fraying…

What’s a girl to do?

And you hate the styles that are available and you have hated the styles for years?

Attention Clothing Designers of America listen up! I SPEW ON YOU! (Shopping vent)

I don’t want skin tight

Thankfully, I LOVE LL Bean Double L Jeans – why don’t they make Double L shorts anymore???

I love crop tops, but they haven’t been in style in forever. The newer ones show all in a strong breeze anyway

I want shirts – polo, button down, scoop neck in prints (prefer pastel, non-busy floral)

I like LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, but 95% of their clothes are solid colors – so boring

My clothes are fraying…

What’s a girl to do?

Nice rant! I agree.

I'll add

I want designers to understand some women have booKs and don't particularly want to show them off to everyone.

I'd like a variety of lengths in dresses and skirts. I love just above the knee lengths.

I do not want synthetic fabrics all the time.

Class and style never go out of style.

:iagree:

Well, I agree with all of the above, but that one stands out the most.

I have extremely wide shoulders and big 'books' and that peasant look is so awful on me.

I went clothes shopping last week and couldn't believe how many shirts have pleats at the neckline, over the chest! Ugh. Another thing I can't wear! This one shirt was so adorable and I loved the way it fit - everywhere except through the chest. :tongue_smilie:

In your case I would probably still use stores like Lands End and use accessories to add to the look. I have pants from LE that I loved and wore until they started disintegrating (after many years of use).

You could also shop at an online store (sales only!) like J. Peterman - I love their clothing but they cater to normal to tall people (thus short people have to make alterations). Their catalog is exquisite.

Some of us are in our 50s and do not want to show our thighs (or chunky calves, for that matter) to the world, but we don't want to look like Alfred Dunner models either.

I'm in the same boat - I need clothes but cannot find anything that covers my body, will last through one wash, and isn't made out of denim. I'm also not made out of money. Hmmph!

Step One: Define what you don't like. Check

Step Two: Define what you like.

Sounds like you should be looking to Eddie Bauer, LL Bean and Lands End each season and add a couple things to your wardrobe as you find them. I would also suggest Talbots. They have that classical look too.

:lol: I pull stuff off a shelf and tell my DD that she can find her grandmother in that outfit in the family photobook. She HATES it when I do that.

I don't wanna go back to the 70s, 80s or 90s. I hated flares the first time around, and even more the second time.

I DO like the 40/50 retro that is coming around. If you notice, even LL Bean had a retro cover for spring. :001_smile: It's very forgiving. And, frankly, I wish muffin tops would go the way of the dodo. If your pants fit right, they wouldn't DO that. But of course they'd have to be higher waisted and heaven forbid that happen.

Edited by justamouse

I had some success at Dress Barn a couple of weeks ago.

They have some loud, splashy prints that may not work for you, but also some really nicely tailored stuff.

I hate shopping at a place that sounds like it sells clothes for cows, but hey, (or is it "hay?") I'll go where the clothes are.

The 3 dresses I got were around $35-50 each. That's not too bad.

I could have written this post myself. I too hate the current styles and have for quite some time. I hate, hate, hate going shopping. I never find anything I like, unless I buy a T-shirt in the men's department. I bought some great every day, sporty looking shorts there a few years ago also but now they are starting to get holes in them and I am stuck because I can't find anything else I like (not skin tight, not short short, etc.).

Just yuck!

Step One: Define what you don't like. Check

Step Two: Define what you like.

Sounds like you should be looking to Eddie Bauer, LL Bean and Lands End each season and add a couple things to your wardrobe as you find them. I would also suggest Talbots. They have that classical look too.

:iagree: And would add... quit shopping the cheap craptacular clothes at Target, Old Navy (especially them!) and Wal-Mart. You don't need a lot of clothes. You just need a modest-sized wardrobe of well-made, stylish clothes. You do not have to buy everything at once. Just buy a good piece for which you've budgeted. It will last twice as long as the 5 crappy cheap pieces you bought and get you a lot better value per wear.

Also, OP -- don't worry if all your clothes are solids. You can add colour and pattern with accessories, and with them you CAN go pretty cheap. Scarves are amazing and look so chic in every decade of life and every decade on the calendar. Cute jewellery can be found in any style and at very low prices. Since these items don't get a lot of wash, they tend to wear quite well, and are a great way to personalize what, on the surface, might look like a bland wardrobe.

Lastly, either learn to do your own alterations or find a friend or reliable person to do them. Fit is everything. EVERYTHING!

:iagree: And would add... quit shopping the cheap craptacular clothes at Target, Old Navy (especially them!) and Wal-Mart. You don't need a lot of clothes. You just need a modest-sized wardrobe of well-made, stylish clothes. You do not have to buy everything at once. Just buy a good piece for which you've budgeted. It will last twice as long as the 5 crappy cheap pieces you bought and get you a lot better value per wear.

Also, OP -- don't worry if all your clothes are solids. You can add colour and pattern with accessories, and with them you CAN go pretty cheap. Scarves are amazing and look so chic in every decade of life and every decade on the calendar. Cute jewellery can be found in any style and at very low prices. Since these items don't get a lot of wash, they tend to wear quite well, and are a great way to personalize what, on the surface, might look like a bland wardrobe.

Lastly, either learn to do your own alterations or find a friend or reliable person to do them. Fit is everything. EVERYTHING!

:blink: SCARVES? JEWELRY?

Just because I want to buy a top that doesn't have a neckline open to my navel doesn't mean I want to go through all that!

I LIKE plain, boring clothes. I just want them to actually COVER my body. I don't get why I should have to pay more money in order to get a top that doesn't look like I could wear it to breastfeed twins. My grandkids don't need to see my cleavage, but just because I have grandkids doesn't mean I want to wear old lady clothes quite yet.

What is wrong with clothing designers these days?

:blink: SCARVES? JEWELRY?

Just because I want to buy a top that doesn't have a neckline open to my navel doesn't mean I want to go through all that!

I LIKE plain, boring clothes. I just want them to actually COVER my body. I don't get why I should have to pay more money in order to get a top that doesn't look like I could wear it to breastfeed twins. My grandkids don't need to see my cleavage, but just because I have grandkids doesn't mean I want to wear old lady clothes quite yet.

What is wrong with clothing designers these days?

:001_huh: That's great, but the OP did say she wanted stylish, and I was talking to her, not every single individual on the whole board. ;) Designers do make what she's looking for -- she just needs to look in different places. If you want to cover everything with "plain and boring" (your words, not mine) that's great for you. There's lots of that out there if you look in the right places, so be happy and buy that stuff or take up sewing and design your own label.

I second Ann Taylor and Talbots, faves of mine. Occasionally, I'll find things I like at Banana Republic too. The clothes are definitely well made by today's standards. Sometimes I have things altered but not by much. I also like White House/Black Market. I prefer classic, tailored, adult styles that fit well (and since I have a true hourglass figure, fit is EVERYTHING!). IMHO, peasant looks are appropriate for twigs alone. I've never found them flattering on a woman with C+ breasts. Spend more, get more, buy less.

Since you're in St. Pete, perhaps head to the nearest Tommy Bahama clothing store. I think those clothes meet your specifications, although a little pricey. And don't you have that outlet mall in Ellington? I haven't been in a while, but there was a Ralph Lauren store there.

:001_smile:

I have these and I love them. A MUST for CA summers.

But these don't take care of the material-so-thin-you-can-see-through-it problem. It seemed every top is made expecting you to layer it. I live in Texas; one layer plenty!:tongue_smilie:

Can I also add: I want short sleeves that are really sleeves! Not sleeveless, not little cap sleeves that still show everything if I raise my arm - real, actual sleeves that cover the top part of my arms.

What works for me:

Style Arc patterns, Colette, Jalie, Ottobre, Simplicity, Vogue (particularly the retro line), Burda, ... Gorgeous Fabrics, Emma One Sock, Fabric.com, Fabric Mart, and, yes, the local JoAnn Fabrics ....

And now, off the computer to go finish a skirt -- similar to this, but a length that suits me better, and in fabric I got on sale that's black with white dots. :auto:

I've gotten so frustrated that I'm teaching myself how to sew my own clothes.

I don't know if I'll ever make my own jeans, but I don't see why I can't make everything else.

As long as I get the patterns and fabric on sale, the price is comparable to a sale at a department store, and better quality. Not cheaper than Target or Wal-Mart, but I'm ok with that since they will last so much longer.

I don’t want skin tight

My clothes are fraying…

What’s a girl to do?

I'm in the same boat!

But these don't take care of the material-so-thin-you-can-see-through-it problem. It seemed every top is made expecting you to layer it. I live in Texas; one layer plenty!:tongue_smilie:

Can I also add: I want short sleeves that are really sleeves! Not sleeveless, not little cap sleeves that still show everything if I raise my arm - real, actual sleeves that cover the top part of my arms.

Have you checked out Shade clothing? Here's there website's page for t-shirts:

http://www.shadeclothing.com/shop/dept_category.jsp?productSizeSelected=0&pageClicked=0&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306256423&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395917465&bmUID=1333634788275

Some cap sleeve stuff, but lots of longer sleeves as well. :)

I don’t want skin tight

My clothes are fraying…

What’s a girl to do?

:iagree:

Add to your list, plus size. Mostly I just wear really uncomfortable clothes and cry when I try to find new things. :crying:

I need dresses that will cover my backside, even when I bend over or sit.

I need something, *anything*, that isn't black.

I need sleeves. Short sleeves, but *not teeny puffy sleeves*, that will cover my bra straps without me having to constantly check.

That banded, elasticized shirt hem? Yeah, I can do without looking even more puffy than I already am.

Oh, and did I mention PLUS SIZE? Yeah, I'm way overweight. Yes, I know I should be able to magically do something about that. Still, I NEED SOMETHING TO WEAR UNTIL I DO!!

Haven't read all the replies but how about Talbots or the Loft?

I used to shop there a lot until I went all sport like.

Ditto on the Kohls shirts. I can't shop there because I am too short (petite items suck) but there were a number of pretty shirts I really wanted to get.

I also don't want to look like a peasant or be in puffy anything.

Edited by LG Gone Wild

OP I know you said you don't want to look pregnant but I love a lot of the motherhood clothes.... many are so stylish/ well made that they flatter a non pregnant figure and don't make you look pregnant. I'm wearing a pair of their pants right now in fact, the band on their secret belly fit pants folds over into a normal waistband.

Also for those who want tops that cover the derriere, look into wearing short dresses/ mini dresses as tunics with pants or leggings. I get compliments all the time on my "long tops."

I want designers to understand some women have booKs and don't particularly want to show them off to everyone.

Exactly! I want stores to carry more chemises so we can layer.

I want boots that are for bigger feet, but don't assume bigger calves.

I want them to keep coming out with square necks and quit changing every other year....I absolutely despise round or scoop necked tops. They do not look good on my chesty self.

If they are going to sell pleated skirts, make them longer. Short and pleated makes my arse stick out, as well as makes me look short and dumpy...and I'm not short. Those are made for skinny, cute chicks....not for women that actually have a figure (why weren't these popular when I was skinny?).

OP I know you said you don't want to look pregnant but I love a lot of the motherhood clothes.... many are so stylish/ well made that they flatter a non pregnant figure and don't make you look pregnant. I'm wearing a pair of their pants right now in fact, the band on their secret belly fit pants folds over into a normal waistband.

Also for those who want tops that cover the derriere, look into wearing short dresses/ mini dresses as tunics with pants or leggings. I get compliments all the time on my "long tops."

It depends upon your frame.

I want boots that are for bigger feet, but don't assume bigger calves.

Sort of like the problem I have with shirts. I want shirts for broader shoulders that don't assume I have the booKs or belly to fill up all that extra fabric. Though I could use more fabric in the length. *sigh*

Some of us are in our 50s and do not want to show our thighs (or chunky calves, for that matter) to the world, but we don't want to look like Alfred Dunner models either.

I'm in the same boat - I need clothes but cannot find anything that covers my body, will last through one wash, and isn't made out of denim. I'm also not made out of money. Hmmph!

Land's End On-The-Counter and local thrift store. I've has surprising luck here the past year.

Well, I need shoes.

All shoes today look like a hooker would wear them.:tongue_smilie:

Get yourself to Marty & Liz (there's one in Cool Springs across the parking lot from Staples, next to Kroger). There are plenty of "hooker" shoes, but a surprising number of shoes that even *I* would wear. Top quality brands like Clarks. I've gotten 3 pair in the past year (sandals, mules, etc.), I've never paid over $15. Some have slight blemishes, but not all.

Have you ever gone to Cabela's site? They have a lot of women's clothes there. Brands like Woolrich, Northface, and they have their own brand as well. Their bargain cave has some exceptional end of the season deals. Clothes shopping should not be more traumatic than a heart attack. That is all.

Love the rant and I agree with all of it.

My biggest beef is the cheap quality. I have been a Land's End shopper for years and the shirts I bought 10 years ago are in better shape then the ones I purchased 2 years ago. I don't mind paying more for quality but I seriously object to paying more for the same quality I can get at Target.

I'm with whoever complained about the shoes. I usually love fashion and trends and even I can't find a pair to buy lately. It's all ballet flats (which I have quite enough of, thanks, they've been 'in' for years now) or sleazy-looking platforms that call to mind a bondage/S&M fetish. I want to spend money on a pair of cute sandals because mine are all so old, but I won't pay to look like a dominatrix or a stripper.

I moved to a new part of the country. Lot more traditional, normal clothing here. Lot less of the trendy. SO I can go to Dillard's or Belks or Goody's (Bealls in Florida) and find a number of nice, well made, conventional clothing in many colors. I am so glad to be back in the south where normal fashions are much more prevalent. (They also have some of the latest peasant blouses, etc. but those are usually in the junior's department and my dd's starting at around 14 were shopping in the women's department so as to not end up with daisy duke shorts and clingy low cut t shirts).

I hear ya! I went to my local outlet stores last month, and it was the most discouraging shopping trip I've ever been on. I found one shirt and one pair of jeans. 35 stores=1 shirt??

I am so tired of crummy, cheap shirts that fall apart after 3 washings. And I wish stores would have a variety of cool and warm colors, so that I can find something other than navy blue that will look good on me. And I don't want to wear anything that my BooKs fall out of every time my toddler tugs on my shirt...:glare:

Honestly, I could see not being happy with the styles for a year, or even a couple....but SEVERAL years straight? I might say...gently...that maybe it's your own style you might want to re-evaluate.

There is a certain style of dress that has been around the last several years, and I kept saying I hated it. Finally I tried on some (admittedly several) and then found one that looked good on me. Then I had a new dress that also didn't look like it came from 1980. :001_smile:

It does take more work to try on things that you wouldn't normally think are your style. But you kind of HAVE to do that unless you want to keep the same style your entire adult life. Some things just don't work on different body types. Keep trying until you find something that does.

Also, it is indeed a sad reality that classic well made clothes cost more than trendy cheaply made clothes. Trendy clothes are just that - trendy. You might wear them for a year or two, and then they will be out of style. Classic clothes are made and priced to last longer. You might just have to bite the bullet and accept that.