Menu

What do you do when you really, really, really need to buy new clothes…

I'm with whoever complained about the shoes. I usually love fashion and trends and even I can't find a pair to buy lately. It's all ballet flats (which I have quite enough of, thanks, they've been 'in' for years now) or sleazy-looking platforms that call to mind a bondage/S&M fetish. I want to spend money on a pair of cute sandals because mine are all so old, but I won't pay to look like a dominatrix or a stripper.

I am 5'11 inches tall. Even shoes that I think are cute, I could never wear unless I want to be towering over everyone like an Amazon Women. 2 1/2" is my maximum height for dress shoes...and right now anything in that height looks like grandma shoes. Bummer!

Ladies, thank you for the commiseration and the tips. I forgot a few things:

I like to tuck my shirt into my pants which seems to be rare these days. So, the nice tops that have a design that needs to be worn untucked don't suit me

I've been buying underwear at Target (Hanes, Jockey, Joe Boxer, etc) for years. Lately, all the brands I buy there are so thin and fall apart very quickly: seams, elastic

I've been buying Peds ankle socks for years. Last batch, I swear, had 1/3 less elastic.

I hate shopping. Mostly I try Pennys, Dillards, Sears, Kohls, Macys. I'll try some of the others stores mentioned here.

I love the old crop tops I used to buy because I don't really want to tuck my shirt into my pants in the summer here - it makes me hotter. Crop tops are nice because they don't fall so far over the pants as regular shirts.

I'm off to Orlando for the weekend bright and early tomorrow. I think there is an outlet mall there. Maybe I'll try to swing by.

:auto:

I love the old crop tops I used to buy because I don't really want to tuck my shirt into my pants in the summer here - it makes me hotter. Crop tops are nice because they don't fall so far over the pants as regular shirts.

:auto:

ahhh, that makes a lot more sense.

I was thinking crop top = http://www.thefashionpolice.net/2009/03/crop-tops-theyre-back-will-you-be-wearing-one.html

Have you tried men's clothing, and having it tailored?

Alternatively, do you have a friend who would shop with you and help you evaluate more modern styles to see what might appeal with some tailoring, accessorizing or badgering? Given your parameters, it might just be easier to change your tastes than to wait for the fashion industry to change for you.

Terri

Some of us are in our 50s and do not want to show our thighs (or chunky calves, for that matter) to the world, but we don't want to look like Alfred Dunner models either.

I'm in the same boat - I need clothes but cannot find anything that covers my body, will last through one wash, and isn't made out of denim. I'm also not made out of money. Hmmph!

:iagree: I'm in my 40's and have hated the clothing syles for years! The choice is, look like a teenager (honestly, even if I were a teenager I wouldn't want to wear it) or an Alfred Dunner Model - lol. This is why I rarely shop, my clothes are worn out, and I feel soooo frumpy. I would love to shop Lands End (love their stuff), but can't afford it. :confused:

totally agree:iagree: with fashion and shopping upset. I did find a couple shirts I like at Gap of all places. Cotten, scoop neck, nice color shirts. JCPenney has been good for me lately. I love Lee jeans and they make an okay short.

My latest rant is short length. I don't want "daisy dukes" but I don't want shorts down to me knee caps either. I don't want shorts I have to wear special underwear either. because they are too low rise or see through.

Dresses:confused: The maxie is so long it drags in the dirt. I need a bra. Believe me, at 50, things are going south, I need industrial strength bras. All the cute dresses have these tiny straps so a bra looks silly, or they open up low in the back below the bra line, or are halter tops. These halter top dresses are not halting for me. Or the dresses are made of polyester. Do you know how hot it gets in TX? Polyester??!! I want a cute, cotton, inexpensive, easy to care for sundress that is either sleeveless or has "normal" sleeves and the material isn't see through. How hard it that??

And the cost!!?? :confused: Dd (12) tried on a nice, plain, simple red sleeveless dress that looked adorable on her....$90!!! Hello! $90 for a sleeveless simple dress she won't wear 2 summers??

for a new dress, right? Well, after a few months of looking, I ended up wearing an old dressy suit that I had bought in 2004 which was on sale by the way. It's still a very pretty suit but a bit outdated. And now I am to be the mom of the bride this summer and I'm hoping I won't have to resort to the same suit. All I want is a short sleeved dress that is not polyester and is not too high above my knees and is simple in design and preferably in a solid color. And a scoop neck so that I can wear a single strand of pretty beads.

for a new dress, right? Well, after a few months of looking, I ended up wearing an old dressy suit that I had bought in 2004 which was on sale by the way. It's still a very pretty suit but a bit outdated. And now I am to be the mom of the bride this summer and I'm hoping I won't have to resort to the same suit. All I want is a short sleeved dress that is not polyester and is not too high above my knees and is simple in design and preferably in a solid color. And a scoop neck so that I can wear a single strand of pretty beads.

Anything on this page strike your fancy? http://www.coldwatercreek.com/misses-dresses.aspx?ShowAllProducts=true

Can I add my complaint? Clothing lines that come in limited sizes (xs,s,m,l,xl)

They never ever fit me right.

How come men get neck and sleeve length choices in their shirts while women rarely get numeric sizes (6, 8, 10, 12...)--usually S, M, L.

How come men get neck and sleeve length choices in their shirts while women rarely get numeric sizes (6, 8, 10, 12...)--usually S, M, L.

Yep. Does anyone know of any clothing lines that have sizes for all their clothes? I know Boden does. Anyplace else?

And they always get the choice of buying regular length or tall shirts but for women tall shirts are a rare option. Same with inseam lengths; not as many options for women.

Can you tell I always have trouble with clothing choices because I'm tall? And when I do find talls they're in colors that make me look sickly like pastels and summers. And then there's the problem I have with crew necks making me feel like I'm choking so that limits me further. *Big Sigh*

:iagree: I'm in my 40's and have hated the clothing syles for years! The choice is, look like a teenager (honestly, even if I were a teenager I wouldn't want to wear it) or an Alfred Dunner Model - lol. This is why I rarely shop, my clothes are worn out, and I feel soooo frumpy. I would love to shop Lands End (love their stuff), but can't afford it. :confused:

Get on their mailing list and shop the season change clearance. I have a ton of lE and didn't pay full price for any of it. They frequently have free shipping and/or extra mark downs on the clearance. I've gotten a bunch of stuff for under $10, some under $5 forthe girls and I. I don't find things as often for ds.

I got five new scoop and v-neck summer shirts at the grocery store a couple weeks ago (Meijers). They all are either floral patterns or wavy stripes. I have lost so much weight I have had to buy new stuff :-)

And I manage to get grease spots on solid color shirts, so don't even bother to buy them any more. At least the patterns hide stains better :-)

I get shirts at Kohls, too. Last week I saw several patterned dresses that made me think of Mad Men - too bad I won't wear sleeve-less anything (fat upper arms).

I'm in my 40's and really, really pride myself on not looking like a homeschool mom!:lol:

My 15yo dd says that I am one of the best dressed moms she knows. She's not even embarrassed by the way I look. Dh says I always look put together.:)

I second the Coldwater Creek recommendations. Their looks are very classic and tailored. I wear some stuff from the Liz Claiborne line at Penney's. Dress Barn has some nice pieces that hold up well and are inexpensive.

I agree with Audrey on the accessorizing! I have one outfit I always get complimented on. It's just plain black slacks with a scoop neck black T. But I put a wide belt around it, a long-ish silver chain and my fossil stainless watch. If it's cool enough, I wear a denim jacket with it.

It's easy to have a plain pallet and then just accessorize. I love scarves. You can keep up with trends for very inexpensive while keeping the basics. I have a couple of scarves I picked up at H & M for $5 bucks each. I love them. They are super light and provide some personality. I went online to find 50 different ways to tie a scarf.;)

Anyway, I love pulling it all together. Looking at the outfits on Polyvore gives me inspiration and I've been able to put together a lot out of the pieces I already have in my own closet!

Good luck shopping!

I'm in my 40's and really, really pride myself on not looking like a homeschool mom!:lol:

My 15yo dd says that I am one of the best dressed moms she knows. She's not even embarrassed by the way I look. Dh says I always look put together.:)

I second the Coldwater Creek recommendations. Their looks are very classic and tailored. I wear some stuff from the Liz Claiborne line at Penney's. Dress Barn has some nice pieces that hold up well and are inexpensive.

I agree with Audrey on the accessorizing! I have one outfit I always get complimented on. It's just plain black slacks with a scoop neck black T. But I put a wide belt around it, a long-ish silver chain and my fossil stainless watch. If it's cool enough, I wear a denim jacket with it.

It's easy to have a plain pallet and then just accessorize. I love scarves. You can keep up with trends for very inexpensive while keeping the basics. I have a couple of scarves I picked up at H & M for $5 bucks each. I love them. They are super light and provide some personality. I went online to find 50 different ways to tie a scarf.;)

Anyway, I love pulling it all together. Looking at the outfits on Polyvore gives me inspiration and I've been able to put together a lot out of the pieces I already have in my own closet!

Good luck shopping!

Ronette, we need to go shopping together! :D