Menu

What kind of music do you like?

I like a lot of music styles, but what I dislike....I dislike strongly!

I dislike...Rap, Gospel, twangy country, anything with kids singing, ska, heavy punk, show tunes....these are a few off the top of my head.

At this moment I am listening to Mumford and Sons, but they are coming across a little whiny today. I am changing to to Pink. lol ...and now Corrine Baily Rae.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I like Christian rock/pop, some classic lite rock, people like Elton John, Dan Fogelberg (but not Longer...shudder), and some modern stuff (modern...:D...I mean current).

I especially like it when the lyrics are particularly meaningful.

There's some country I like, too--but I'm new to it. It seems to be mainly about "she/he done me wrong," "I love this country" or "Let's get drunk down by the crik..."

I am not into rap, tho. Rhythm and Blues, Jazz, and most classical (except some hymns) are not my favorites, either.

oh, i love so many genres! that's a tough one! i love christian praise & worship (think chris tomlin, christy nockels, hillsong united) and 80's new wave (think depeche mode, erasure, yaz, new order). i like other stuff too. classic 80's rock (journey, wings, billy joel) and even some country (patsy cline, old dixie chicks, jodee messina, sugarland).

i'm easy to please!! just no hair bands, glam rock, metal, or grateful dead.:D

I like many forms of music but there are some I don't like at all- Rap, whiny songs of any genre, very bland music with no real melody or rhythm.

So I do like much more than I dislike. We listen to many, many types of music here from what is called Classical (which basically encompassed many centuries of music in many types) to rock, pop, dance, some country, some jazz, blues, folk, many different music from different countries, and on and on and on.

My screen name should say something about the kind of music I like. :D

Besides Jimmy Buffett I like classic rock, classical, jazz, and some new age stuff - mostly meditation sounds.

Jimmy Buffett is :thumbup1:

Mine varies by mood but like 80's hair bands, rock, country are my favs.

I can tolerate a little of everything, but I don't care for country or 'Christian contemporary' music. My most played CD in the van is Red (Christian rock, I guess they are?), but I like other stuff too, it just isn't coming to my mind at the moment. I like Switchfoot and some TobyMac (the kids love him). I also have some Christian death metal on my iPod - Blood of the Martyrs. Aaaannnddd I like stuff like Maroon 5 - anything catchy like that.

Overall, I like JPop the best, though. :) Especially rap.

How about what I don't like?

Number one: Country. :ack2: Cannot.stand.it.

Also bluegrass, unless I'm at a barbeque or something.

Old gospel hymns...just no.

I kinda stick out like a sore thumb in these here mountains. ;)

I like

bluegrass and cajun

classical

show tunes

some country

and my teen dd has gotten me into alternative such as Coldplay, Muse, Green Day, One Republic, Young the Giant. also she got me into Maroon 5 and Katy (or is it Katie) Perry

When she was a little younger, I went with her every year to a jonas Bros concert, we had lots of fun there and last year I went with her to see Taylor Swift, that was a good concert.

The only music I don't like is rap and jazz

Oh I also like old rock and roll and '60's music such as Beatles, Herman's Hermits, all that old stuff

And how could I forget ELVIS

I'm very eclectic.

I like some classical, renaissance, hymns, folk music, ethnic music (which is not always folk music), modern country which is often soft rock, 50's and 60's and 70's music, latin music, contemporary Christian, jazz, blues and new age. The caveat is that "some" applies to all of those genres.

My IPod has Andre Bocelli next to Jim Croce, next to Andy Griffith next to the Kings Singers, next to Loreena McKinnitt, next to the Eagles, next to Libera next to Bruce Springsteen. . .

My newest addition to my line up is Jack Johnson.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
mispelling

The older I get the more kinds of music I seem to like.

I lean toward the folky end but I like: rock, classic rock, old country, alt-country, lo-fi, blues, some jazz, some pop, classical, bluegrass, big band, swing, some punk, some ska, world, americana, soul, motown, some R&B, show tunes, latin dance, and probably a lot more I just can't think of right now.

If its harder metal I probably won't like it, but the last few years have surprised me. I'll listen to a lot of things, and then go back to what I'm comfortable with...accoustic music with meaningful lyrics.

My favorites have always been earthy folk music, sweeping orchestral stuff, modern glam rock and 90s/2000's alt-rock. Right now I'm into Mountain Man, Mumford & Sons, Regina Spektor, Sufjan Stevens, older (pre-70s) folk and country, Beirut, Mika, and The White Stripes.

• 7 months later...

Christian rock mostly. Red, Skillet, Kutless.... I like a few of the praise and worship singers like Chris Tomlin and Lincoln Brewster, but I have to really be in the mood for it. I'm not a big fan of contemporary Christian. Some of it is okay if it's on, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it. I also like some rap and harder stuff, but I don't listen to it very often.

I don't currently listen to a lot of secular music, though I have in the past. Michael Jackson is the only one still on my playlist.

I can't stand country.

But what music I like doesn't mean much these days. I mostly get to listen to veggie tales.

ETA: Oh, I lied. I completely forgot one of my newest favorites: Tartanic

Edited by CPSTAnne

I like a lot of different types of music. I guess the music I listen to most is English folk and world music but where I live is a little hub of English folk music so that's probably got a lot to do with it.

I also like Pink and musicians like her. I also have a secret love of Death Metal not that I listen to it all that often. I lsiten to a fair bit of opera and classical too.

Generally I hate musicals and pop ballads.

I like most music. Although, I am a bit stuck in my high school/college New Wave years for my go to sound.

I love Big Band, Phil Spector's Wall of Sound form the 50's, Classical. Glam Rock from the 80's, classic rock from the 60's/70's. Christmas Carols (even that awful red shoes song).

Donning my flame retardant suit as I say.....I detest most Jazz. It sets my teeth on edge. Not a fan of Heavy Metal or most country music.

Old Country (Johnny Cash, George Jones), Celtic, I suppose what would be classified as Rock, maybe Lite Rock (The Beatles [obviously :D], Queen, Elton John, Billy Joel), hymns. R&B is alright, if it isn't talking about a girl's behind :glare: Same with Pop.

I dislike smooth jazz, rap, gospel, hardcore rock, newer country, and most kinds of modern Christian.

I love all types of music but the few that I cant' stand

Blue Grass

Modern Rap (I like the 80's stuff)

Southern Gospel (the whole quartet group stuff I will run if I hear it)

( My parents where the 70' and 80's holiness that all music was your ticket to hell and this is all I was allowed to listen to at home - yeah school was a place I like to be)

I love country and have songs I like from each decade. Patsy Cline, Charlie Pride, Alabama, John Michael Montgomery, Billy Curington (named someone from 5 decades) LOL

I love R & B all decades I want give a list LOL

I love soft rock and hard rock all decades

I also get in the mood for soft jazz and blues Ellas Fitzgerald is a favorite

I like modern christian music and some old Christian hymns

Punk. And pretty much only punk. But all kinds of punk...old stuff, new stuff, hardcore stuff, more pop-ish stuff, popular stuff, sounds-recorded-in-a-basement stuff...

If I have to listen to anything else, I can tolerate classic rock and sometimes some types of folk music. My husband, on the other hand, will listen to just about anything except country. I swear sometimes he nearly gives me music whiplash, going from hardcore rap to some weird euro-techno club-type stuff then back to plain 'ol rock and then onto something else. Shuffle on his iPod would give me seizure. :tongue_smilie:

We went on vacation last month and we filled the iPod with: Sting, U2, the Black Crowes, Nirvana, the Offspring, some Mike Ness/Social Distortion, Weezer, Green Day, and Norah Jones. We censored some of the music a bit. ;)

On a normal day, the Christian radio station plays in the car, but it isn't my favorite.

I'm all over the place. Sample of iphone songs:

Answer (Sarah McLachlan)

Beauty and the Beast (Stevie Nicks)

Be Good to Yourself (Journey)

Big Yellow Taxi (Counting Crows)

Chances (Five for Fighting)

Home (Daughtry)

Indescribable (Chris Tomlin)

Jesus Paid it All (Fernando Ortega)

Kathy's Song (Eva Cassidy)

Long Live (Taylor Swift)

My Love is Like a Red Red Rose (Eva Cassidy)

Name (A Boy Named Goo)

Rain (Patty Griffin)

Same Old Lang Syne (Dan Fogelberg)

September (Earth, Wind & Fore)

Set Fire to the Rain (Adele)

Sugar, Sugar (The Archies)

These Are the Days (10,000 Maniacs)

We are Young (don't like the beginning of the song, though)

We Belong (Pat Benatar)

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

I like a variety of genres. It just has to be quality.

I cannot tolerate 95% of everything heard on the radio around here. It's mostly terrible singing, the same old repetitive rhythmic/harmonic structure, and lacking any depth in even the lyrics. What is the point!?! I'd rather imagine that I'm hearing something good in complete silence.:tongue_smilie:

I like a variety of genres. It just has to be quality.

I cannot tolerate 95% of everything heard on the radio around here. It's mostly terrible singing, the same old repetitive rhythmic/harmonic structure, and lacking any depth in even the lyrics. What is the point!?! I'd rather imagine that I'm hearing something good in complete silence.:tongue_smilie:

This is why I love Bluetooth streaming through my van. I can choose either my itunes songs or Pandora. I never turn the radio on anymore.

I dislike...Rap, Gospel, twangy country, anything with kids singing, ska, heavy punk, show tunes....these are a few off the top of my head.

That is pretty much me. :001_smile:

I do like some Southern Gospel, but I really dislike Hymns.

When given the option I typically choose Reggae, Rock (80's & 90's mostly), Pop, Latin Pop or Swahili though.

I'm with you except I do like ska and some heavy punk. A few show tunes are okay but not many. And I do like one Eminem song. Oh, and one Snoop Dog song, too.

My ipod is crazy. Dh and I met when we were both following the Grateful Dead. He likes lots of jam bands. I like the words, so when Phish or String Cheese goes on for 20 minutes with nary a word being sung, I get irritated. :tongue_smilie:

I have Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Patsy and Johnny Cash. Simon& Garfunkel and Cat Stevens. Smiths, Cure, Depeche Mode. Dead Kennedys and Social Distortion. Hall & Oats and Asia. Mumford & Sons, Pink, Adele. And lots in between.

I like creative, quality music, that moves me emotionally. That is subjective, I know! I am drawn to music that is rhythmically and melodically and harmonically interesting to me. That can mean: jazz, classical, some R&B, Adult Contemporary and Pop. I also love gospel (black) and hymns, when done well ;) . I even listen to bluegrass occasionally, but only like certain artists in small doses. I am a singer, and love harmony groups like Take 6, and New York Voices. There is a lot there in those kind of harmonies/ arrangements for me to sink my teeth into. My favorite singer of all time is probably Ella Fitzgerald.

What I find myself escaping from as soon as possible: most rock, most pop, most country, almost all rap and folk. This is why I have Sirius Radio...commercial music radio stations and I do not get along ;) .

There's probably a song or two from EVERY type of music that I like. I really go by song more than style and my music selection looks like it belongs to more than one person. I like everything from Patsy Cline to Black Eyed Peas to Hakim. I can handle some gospel a d some opera and some rap . . .it really depends on the song. The Mongolian throat singing stuff is annoying after a few songs.

At this moment I am listening to Mumford and Sons, but they are coming across a little whiny today. I am changing to to Pink. lol ...and now Corrine Baily Rae.

Have you heard The Most Unwanted Song? They combined elements that most people dislike into one song. They even have opera-rap in there, and children, and bagpipes . . . Pretty much everything you listed.

I love big orchestral works, but also Baroque chamber music. I'm fond of madrigals, too. I don't do jazz or rap. I grew up on opera; my father was particularly fond of Mozart. That was the big deal in our house--the Saturday Metropolitan Opera. We'd read the opera stories beforehand. Don't like a lot of Bartok, nor later Stravinsky.

I could have written that.

You name a genre, I like it. With a few exceptions. I hate raggae and I can leave most all of baroque alone. I used to hate bubble gum pop stuff and now I even like that on occasion. I am a huge country fan but not really impressed with what passes for country these days from major labels and mainstream radio.

Even the raggae thing is a little compromised as I like Ben Harper and he has some raggae influences.

My faves are too numerous to mention all but rap, folk, rebel country, alt country, punk rock (esp early 90s riot grrl era stuff), classic rock, indie pop get a lot of play around here.

Right now, Macklemore's The Heist and anything by Girl in a Coma are my go to tracks but I also like Andrew Byrd's latest and I recently got through a long period of essentially being addicted to Mad Rad.

We are also big on classical music and opera here. All over the map.