Menu

Mental illness and walking on eggshells

Folks, there is someone in my life with an undiagnosed mental illness. I have known to walk on eggshells with this person for years.

I didn't walk as carefully on those eggshells tonight as I should have, and the reaction has left me shaken and upset.

I could use a hug.

Edited to add:

Thanks everyone, for your kind words and hugs. It has truly been a comfort to my sore heart.

Edited by strider

Folks, there is someone in my life with an undiagnosed mental illness. I have known to walk on eggshells with this person for years.

I didn't walk as carefully on those eggshells tonight as I should have, and the reaction has left me shaken and upset.

I could use a hug.

:grouphug: This sounds like it really shook you up. I pray you are ok and that this person will be able to see he/she needs some help.:grouphug:

:grouphug: This sounds like it really shook you up. I pray you are ok and that this person will be able to see he/she needs some help.:grouphug:

This person will never see the need for help. It's been literally decades. Unfortunately the repercussions of tonight may be quite far-reaching. Yes, I am badly shaken up.

This person will never see the need for help. It's been literally decades. Unfortunately the repercussions of tonight may be quite far-reaching. Yes, I am badly shaken up.

After at least 5 decades of needing help, the someone in my life got it. A lot of damage has been done, but there is still hope. :grouphug:

the holidays are the worst time for some of the mental illnesses and this can be quite stressful for sign. others too. try and find some ways to decompress from being "on guard." make a mental list of things that help you relax and treat yourself to some of them. sounds like you deserve it!!

relaxation techniques

guided imagery (great tapes can guide you)

massage

escape to a movie

exercise

yoga

get enough sleep and eat good food

(just to name a few)

:grouphug:

angel R.N.

I've got someone in my family like that. It's just horrible. Lately we are dealing with a close family member being close to death and that's just making the unstable person even more unstable.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I am so sorry you are going through this. Try to get some sleep. Things always look a bit brighter and better in the morning.

There was no physical violence. Just a lot of other ugliness. Now that the lid is off that box I expect more. It always gets worse before it gets better.

:grouphug: I know how you feel. I just recently told that person in my life I wouldn't take it anymore. I think it finally sunk in, he has agreed to seek counseling, but we will see. Prayers for some peace for you. :grouphug:

I no longer allow contact with the person in my life that behaves that way, but just reading your post gave me memories that are practically physical in nature.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. There really never seems to be a way to walk carefully enough does there?

Big, giant :grouphug: I have dealt with a mentally ill family member for years and years. She's very close to me and it was so difficult to keep those eggshells unbroken.

I am super lucky that she got "real" help and is now back to the person I have loved and missed. I am so thankful for that this year.

Mental illness is so hard to handle. She lost all of her friends. She would have lost us too, but we believe that family is family no matter what.

If you'd like to vent in private, please PM me.

I'm so sorry for you......we've experienced this as well. The person in our extended family (or their enabling spouse and offspring) never sought help. We had the option of severely limiting our contact with them and only had to interact at funerals and weddings. I hope you have support from those closest to you and know that many have walked the same path.

I don't know the details. I did PM you. I'll admit I have distanced myself from a family member because I had to. I couldn't deal anymore. It's been the best for me. There is nothing I can do to change the person or the situation. I can only change what I do.

Yes, I did get some pms and have been trying to write my thoughts and questions, but really struggling with how to quantify a situation that is overwhelming and bewildering. Thanks for your patience.

I did, years ago, distance myself from the crazy people in my life. The distance was really, really good. I chose to re-engage specifically because there were children who needed/need me. My entire focus is on the children.