Menu

S/O Did your child(ren) attend school before you homeschooled them?

Did one+ of your homeschool students attend school (K+) prior to homeschooling?  

1. 1. Did one+ of your homeschool students attend school (K+) prior to homeschooling?

• Yes, public school.
    • Yes, private school.
    • No.
    • Other (explain).

DS is a preschool drop-out. :lol:

He attended a few months and it was a total disaster. He was already reading and had no interest in sitting and writing his letters in shaving cream or gluing stuff on old pringles cans... We pulled him out of preschool and decided to keep him home for K. That was over five years ago.

He has never attended public or private school.

Well.

First child attended private school, then public school, then homeschool, then public school, then homeschool, and is now in college.

Second child was of school age at a time when older sibling was homeschooled so she started in homeschool (unless you count a year of 3x a week preschool or that failed month of Montessori preschool). She is currently in a public school one day a week.

Third child has just been along for the ride and has never been in school full-time. She attends a public school once a week.

No simple answers here.

Other.

Oldest did private in K, 1st (at a second private school), public in 2nd, back to private in 3rd (repeated, so two years) then public until high school, when we started homeschooling. In college now--

Second son public all the way, including alternative schools and such.

Dd--preschool private (boys did, too), K-2 homeschooled, 3rd public, 4th homeschooled, 5th & 6th public. Back to homeschool next year.

Whew! Quite a ride.

Since you didn't have an "all of the above" selection I had to answer "other". :tongue_smilie: My DS was in private school for 2 years, public school for 1, public charter for 2, and then home schooled. DD1 was in private school for pre-K, public school for K, public charter for 2, and then home schooled. DD2 has only been home schooled.

Three oldest children attended public schools kindergarten through twelfth grade.

Youngest daughter:

public school K-2

private school: 3rd and 4th grade

homeschool: 5th grade to present

I am so happy to have discovered the option of home education six years ago. :)

Edited by ccm

Ds attended a wonderful Montessori school for pre-k and k, and Catholic school for 1st and half of second. It was a lovely school, and the kids there were great in trying to draw ds out, but it was so stressful for ds. I regret not pulling him out sooner. We have toyed with the idea of putting him in a school specifically for Aspergers but we would have to go through the public school system to get him placed there, and they are currently mainstreaming most aspies with minimal supports in place. We can’t afford the $40000 to send him on our own. We are happy at home for the most part, and homeschooling has become as much of a lifestyle as it is a necessity for us. I love being able to travel as a family when dh has a business trip, and overall we have grown to be a much closer family than we were in the past.

One went to preschool -- it was through the city parks and rec, so I guess that's public. The others have all been home, though both older dc went to public for third. The oldest stayed there for fourth (bad experience that year that has him still not wanting to go back to school), so the second went to private school for fourth ... it wasn't a great experience and the cost/benefit ratio didn't make sense to keep her in school (she is still saying that she wants to go back for high school). The littles have never been. They might have gone to ps this year, but a combination of redistricting, overcrowding and layoffs made it seem like it would not likely be a positive experience, so I backed out of that plan.

My 11 year old daughter went to public school for K through most of 3rd grade before I pulled her out and began homeschooling (and she went to preschool as well). I then got fed up enough with a bunch of things that I decided to pull her out and homeschool instead. I've now homeschooled her for the rest of 3rd, all of 4th, all of 5th, and we are currently doing 6th, and I've never looked back. I foresee homeschooling at least through eighth and playing it by ear as to what we do about high school (and taking her wishes into account, too).

My 6 year old son, on the other hand, has never been to preschool and is doing Kindergarten with me at home this year. I am glad he, at least, is home with me from the beginning!

And my 19 year old special needs daughter is still in school- a specialized school where she gets to do work mentorship, life skills, special education, Special Olympics, field trips- has a fantastic teacher and friends... I love it for her and think it is the best thing for her. I will be sad when she is 21 and has to graduate at the end of next year!

Other

Dd 11 was enrolled in a virtual public school for K and part of 1st. I still considered myself a homeschooler because she was home, I was schooling her. We didn't use the bulk of the curriculum they sent as we were allowed to tweak and supplement. Not far into 1st grade I realized there was no value for us in continuing her enrollment and was happy to be on my own. Ds 10 has always been homeschooled and has never been enrolled in a public school.

heh, there's always someone who has to choose "other'

my kids have always been homeschooled, but I have been homeschooling a friend's son for almost 4 years now, and he was in Montessori school for 1st and public school for 2nd grade.

Nope. I went to the schools here. That was enough information for me. I've also talked to recent graduates who are pretty unhappy with the education they received, so I take that to mean nothing has gotten better.

Add to that that I and other people I have talked to about the state of the schools here went to schools rated 9 and 10 on greatschools.com and my kids would be going to schools rated 2 and 3. We're not even going to sample that any time soon.

No. We started homeschooling all three from the beginning. However, ds1 did attend a private preschool for K4 (3 hrs per day/3 days per week) and for quite a number of years he wouldn't let us forget how we Made Him Go to School. He insisted that if he had to go to school for a year, we should make his brother go to school for a year. You know, to be fair.

ER's first grade year was our first "official" year of homeschooling. For kindergarten, he attended a laboratory school at our local university. (Its purpose was for student teachers to get undergraduate teacher training. The school only had preschool and kindergarten.) The teacher:student ratio was 1:3 during Fall Semester and 1:1 Spring Semester.

I taught a preschool class in the room next door on Tuesdays & Thursdays, and I assisted in ER's kindergarten classroom on Fridays. On Mondays & Wednesdays, I worked in the school office across the hall from ER's classroom, but I was in and out of the classroom all the time. It was a WONDERFUL experience for us.

EK has only attended homeschool, with the exception of a 3-month stint in a local church's preschool program when she was 3.

Edited by ereks mom