Menu

Just say no article to Black Friday shopping

I don't do 4 am.

:iagree:

This quote from the article sums up my thoughts exactly:

Ă¢â‚¬Å“What bothers me is how the entire idea of [black Friday] has changed from a few nice after-holiday sales, to a clustercrap of mobs of people camping out at wee hours of the morning, salespeople worked to the bone, and companies scrambling to one-up each other so they can get the most of the feeding frenzy. That's what it really is: a feeding frenzy.

Ă¢â‚¬Å“The sad irony of it all is that this day of upmost need and greed comes after the holiday that's meant to take the time to reflect on what we have, to be thankful for it, and to enjoy times with our families. Never mind how many retail people have to cut this holiday short in order to work ... think about the mobs of customers who actually camp out [T]hanksgiving night in order to be first in line for the toy/computer/thing that they MUST have for Christmas/gifts. They lose out on it too"

You know, I normally wouldn't do that early either. Dd and I talked about it and did it last year, and we really had fun with it. We got up and went out, shopped awhile, then we had breakfast and coffee. It was fun seeing everyone who was out, too.

We haven't talked about this year yet. We'll be coming in from out of town Thanksgiving Day, so I'm not sure we'll be as up to it as before.

Black Friday is one of the few times I am able to get out of the house without kids. Practically speaking, it works for us. DH and the kids sleep while I shop for the gifts that I wouldn't want them to see me putting in the cart. By they time they finish breakfast I am back home to take care of everyone again.

Plus, it is a fun bonding time with girlfriends. I really enjoy it.

Black Friday is one of the few times I am able to get out of the house without kids. Practically speaking, it works for us. DH and the kids sleep while I shop for the gifts that I wouldn't want them to see me putting in the cart. By they time they finish breakfast I am back home to take care of everyone again.

Plus, it is a fun bonding time with girlfriends. I really enjoy it.

Yep, when I was a teenager my grandmother and I would go out and hit the stores and get all of our shopping done essentially that day (minus stocking stuffers and office gifts). We would go out for 4am and be back in time to make a big breakfast for the family...pancakes/waffles, bacon, coffee, etc. It was wonderful we loved it. Had fun picking the gifts together and had fun joking around with each other.

I am considering going out this year to Target to finish up for the last few things I have to get. I am almost done and did it on purpose so I didn't have to go out if I didn't want to. The last 4 years dh has either been gone, it's been snowing or dd was little so I couldn't go out.

There is NO WAY that I'd be out there shopping on Black Friday. If I really need to shop that day, I'll do it online. I do find it kind of offensive that we can't even wait for the day of being thankful to end before we rush out to buy more junk.

I was talking to a retail store manager the other day and he told me he had to leave home on Thanksgiving evening and work all night to prepare for Black Friday. His young son's birthday is the day after Thanksgiving and he said he's always had to work or he's sleeping after working all night and has never been able to celebrate on his son's birthday.

I don't do Black Friady period. Packed parking lots and crowded stores are not my idea of a good time.

True story: My nephew turned Black Friday into a money making opporturnity. Several years ago, he camped out beside a Best Buy and was second or third in line. Ten minutes before the store opened he announced that he would sell his place in line to the highest bidder. He went home with a hundred dollar bill.

I've never gone shopping on Black Friday, but this year, I'm going to be working at Miss Good's soap booth.

I've made up a bunch of baskets with one soap, a small sugar scrub, and three small lotion bars for $20.

I hope we have nice weather and the crowds are in a buying mood.

I have never done an early Black Friday. I've done Black Friday maybe three or four times in my adult life? And the earliest of those times was possibly 8 o'clock. I can't handle much earlier than that. Mostly I don't go out on Black Friday because we're in the mountains and there's nowhere good to shop. But I do shop online if opportunity presents itself.

Personally, I think shopping should only be online on Thanksgiving. I agree with the author that Thanksgiving should be a day of thanks and family.

I LOVE Black Friday. My husband and I leave the kids with my parents and we head out at 3 am to drive to this awesome mall a couple hours away. We get our annual Cinnabon cinnamon roll, we stroll the mall, laugh at all the stressed out, irritated shoppers, go to the theatre, and have a nice dinner out... and we usually go home EMPTY HANDED. There have been occasions where we have a found a great deal but we only bought it if we did not have to wait in a long line. Fun times! :001_smile:

We own a specialty retail store. Dh and I went back and forth on whether or not to open early on Black Friday. Ultimately, we decided to open LATE on Black Friday. Our reasoning was that most people are going to be at the box stores shopping for those deals, and will probably trek back home for a nap before they come in to our store. We already keep our prices down, so we won't be putting our items on sale anyway. We'll see if it is a wise choice or not.

I would never do Black Friday. I do ALL of my Christmas shopping online, unless I happen to already be at a store and see a great deal.

With that said, my husband works for Walmart and he has to be at work for 2am on Black Friday. The sacrifice for us is great. We don't get double time or anything, and he usually has to call it quits on Thanksgiving early to get sleep. He has to handle mobs of people at the doors, stop shoplifters and all other kinds of dangerous things that morning. A couple of years ago a Walmart worker was killed during a stampede into the store. I wish they would do away with it really.

I don't do 4 am.

This quote from the article sums up my thoughts exactly:

Ă¢â‚¬Å“What bothers me is how the entire idea of [black Friday] has changed from a few nice after-holiday sales, to a clustercrap of mobs of people camping out at wee hours of the morning, salespeople worked to the bone, and companies scrambling to one-up each other so they can get the most of the feeding frenzy. That's what it really is: a feeding frenzy.

Ă¢â‚¬Å“The sad irony of it all is that this day of upmost need and greed comes after the holiday that's meant to take the time to reflect on what we have, to be thankful for it, and to enjoy times with our families. Never mind how many retail people have to cut this holiday short in order to work ... think about the mobs of customers who actually camp out [T]hanksgiving night in order to be first in line for the toy/computer/thing that they MUST have for Christmas/gifts. They lose out on it too"

My mom always did/does Black Friday. When I was a kid, I got dragged along. I always felt like it was weird to go from the warm, fuzzy feeling of Thanksgiving to frenzied bickering over deals. We stay home on Friday and decorate our home and Christmas tree.

About online shopping, I wonder if we're making people work that way too. If I buy online on Thanksgiving, aren't there more people made to work that day to get a start on the orders? I imagine so but I don't know.

I was talking to a retail store manager the other day and he told me he had to leave home on Thanksgiving evening and work all night to prepare for Black Friday. His young son's birthday is the day after Thanksgiving and he said he's always had to work or he's sleeping after working all night and has never been able to celebrate on his son's birthday.

How peculiar, because the date of Thanksgiving moves every year. :tongue_smilie: I'm sure his son's birthday has suffered for it, but it doesn't fall on the same date every year.

I've never done it, but I've always thought that it could be fun. Not so much for the deals, but for the experience and the people watching.

Have you ever gone to Walmart or a similar store the morning after Christmas? It is empty except for the Christmas decor section. That section is packed with people scoring next year's decorations at 75% off. Everyone is smiling and happy. It's actually pretty fun.

I dislike shopping anyway. The only thing I dislike more than plain shopping is shopping when there are crowds.

I've always avoided Black Friday.

We've never made Christmas into a hugely material holiday though we do exchange a few gifts - one per person.

I'm just not now nor have ever been materialistic.

To each our own. "Bonding" for me occurs better on a nice hike in the wilderness or even a walk on the trail at the local park. It can also happen when my family gets together to play board or card games or we go on a road trip to Grandma's or elsewhere. It never happens while shopping. People are just "wired" differently.

I've gone a few times and always enjoyed it. I rarely find it stressful. I park in the back, have friendly chats with people in line, and save money. One year, I got all of my gifts through doorbusters and saved an incredible amount of money. I've never had doorbusters match my list so well again, but it's still fun. I've never encountered pushing, fighting, or rude people. Maybe I've been oblivious, but everyone I remember has been super cheerful and usually actually helpful. It's even more fun to go with a friend and then have breakfast after. I would go home after that, hide my presents, then go back to bed! We have always lived far from family, so the day after Thanksgiving would not be spent with other family anyway.

Lately, however, the deals online have been almost as good as the in store deals so I have been going out less and less. It's sort of sad because it's not as much fun to get up and on the computer in the early morning as it is to get out with all the other happy shoppers and my friends.

I think the article's author is very sanctimonious and self-righteous. "I don't like it, if I don't like it nobody should, everyone should think like me, blah, blah, blah." Some people don't have close family to spend the holidays with and Black Friday helps them to feel like they are doing something for their family that they can't be with.

I like Black Friday, but I don't go out til about 8 or 9am and then for specific items that are not big "must haves".

I don't get why everyone is getting so upset about stores opening at 9 or 10pm Thanksgiving day. I worked at Kmart during college. Did you know they are open all day, regular hours on Thanksgiving? They only close on Christmas day (but you can work restocking shelves if you want!).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Black Friday! My mom and I usually get out early....like 3 Am to go. This year, I think it will work out even better since a lot of stores are opening at midnight. We're not even going to go to sleep...just head out around 10 PM. It's a lot easier to just stay up rather than only get a few hours of sleep and then try to get up.

I'll have one kiddo with me this year.....my nursing baby. I always take my nursing babies or toddlers with me. DD 4 went till she was 3, so now it's her time to stay home this year.

I've opted out of Black Friday for many years. The fact that fights break out and people die on Black Friday is completely revolting to me. It's like this mad frenzy of materialism and consumerism. I enjoy my Friday after Thanksgiving eating leftovers and relaxing at home with my family. We may put up the Christmas tree or get started on our yummy Christmas cooking. :)

I've opted out of Black Friday for many years. The fact that fights break out and people die on Black Friday is completely revolting to me. It's like this mad frenzy of materialism and consumerism. I enjoy my Friday after Thanksgiving eating leftovers and relaxing at home with my family. We may put up the Christmas tree or get started on our yummy Christmas cooking. :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I am not a Black Friday shopper, and never have been.

Me either. I don't like crowds, and I don't like shopping.

One year I had to go out and get something at Kohl's on black Friday. It was horrid! I took a kid and stuck her in the checkout line as soon as I got there, and I still had to wait in line for an hour.

I did a 5:00am visit to the toy store and Target one year just for the experience of it. I found it amazing. People were going through the store with a full buggy, sometimes two and I rarely saw anyone just walking and browsing. These people were on a mission!

DH has a coworker who lives for Black Friday. She starts making plans weeks before the Day using dedicated websites like this one: Black Friday @Gottadeal.com.

I'm a little torn this year. I need a 24" LED HDTV and I need a super good deal. I'm afraid of purchasing it online but I'm not overly fond of being in a line for electronics. That is one of the biggie sales that draw crowds.

I really hate shopping in general, so the concept of finding camping outside the doors at 3 or 4 am fun is alien to me.

However, just a few times over the years, black Friday deals made the difference between getting a kid something that made their smile shine extra bright or not getting it. Because there is only so much money to around. So dh or I will venture out in the wee hours of the morning excited and hopeful to get that special gift we otherwise couldn't afford or afford as easily any other time.

We make list of gifts we hope to get each child, so if it goes on sale - we snap it up. But if it doesn't, we don't bother going.

It's been several years since the black Friday or cyber Monday ads had anything we wanted to buy.

Nope. I just don't care that much about stuff. I do like a bargain, but I don't care enough about stuff to invest that much effort. Our company will still be here and we will be enjoying a day of outdoor activities at the beach and along the coast. Family over stuff for us.

I never got the whole black friday thing.

For one thing I do all of my holiday shopping way ahead of the holidays. Secondly I shop all year round. If I really needed/wanted something I would have bought it long before Thanksgiving. Do people really want until Nov 24th to buy stuff?

Lastly now that my kids are older they are getting less but more expensive gifts, the ones that never go on sale (ugg boots, north face, iPhones)

I've opted out of Black Friday for many years. The fact that fights break out and people die on Black Friday is completely revolting to me. It's like this mad frenzy of materialism and consumerism.

That sums it up for me.

I have never shopped on a Black Friday.

No plans to do so.

We do family things on Black Friday, and appreciate being together.

I worked at a toy store during my high school and college years; something about watching grown people behave so badly made a real impression on me. I make it a goal each year to be finished shopping by Thanksgiving; I also do my best to stay out of the Mall, Target and Wal-Mart during the month of December. Outside of shopping for our Angel Tree gifts, I find being in those places during the holidays actually makes me feel LESS in the spirit of the season.

A friend and I 'do' Black Friday and 12/26 EVERY year. But I think our situations are different. We don't have much family, so the holidays are almost just another day. We don't have the big dinners with people we haven't seen for a year, etc. For me, it's DH and the 2 girls, and my friend. And that's it.

I don't do all my shopping that day (I do that during the year, when I see things that the girls would like, I pick it up) but I do have a budget, and can shop a little freer that day. I usually buy staple items that rarely go on sale (DH work pants) and impulse items that I normally wouldn't buy for the girls, but since they have no grandparents to spoil them....

The local news here had a story last night of a young man already camping out in front of Best Buy in preparation for Black Friday. That's a week the dude will be camping on concrete.

We usually travel on Black Friday, so I've rarely gotten to play the game.

I support Shop Small Saturday. Shopping at small, independent, and local helps small business owners and our community.

I go. I usually show up right after the doors opened so I don't wait in line. I will go out of my way to drive to a smaller suburb where it isn't so packed. I am never going for the big electronics so I haven't had a problem with my plan. I get toys and board games, stocking stuffers and, of course, socks at Fred Meyer's sock sale! I enjoy the time without the kids and I get myself a little snack as I shop alone.:001_smile:

..Thanksgiving is not the same day every year? So he should be able to be there most times. Just not the years that it falls on the Day after Thanksgiving.

I was in the 'no way am I getting up that early' camp up until 4 yrs ago.

For one, I am soooo not a morning person, and I require more sleep than the average bear. :tongue_smilie: But, some friends dragged me out one yr, and I found that it was not what I thought it was. There were no fights, no mob of greedy people chewing someone arms off for the last barbie. I know this sort of thing makes the news every year, but it was not my experience.

Dh and I went out the next 3 years after that. It has become our little thing. We don't even buy that much, and what we have bought has never been that highly sought after deal. We talk to people while we are in line, drink cocoa to stay warm, have fun navigating the store and then go out for breakfast at Shoney's.

The craziest thing we have ever encountered was at Toys R Us. The fire marshal came and got very agitated because of the volume people in the store. And a different year also at TRU, a women was trying to help another women get the toy she couldn't reach. The second woman took to climbing the shelf! :001_huh: She really just wanted to help, but not a good way to go about it. The poor thing fell. She was all right, thankfully, and she was happy because she got the doll the woman wanted :lol:.

How peculiar, because the date of Thanksgiving moves every year. :tongue_smilie: I'm sure his son's birthday has suffered for it, but it doesn't fall on the same date every year.

That's a good point! Maybe as the manager, it's always extra crazy and busy for him because of Black Friday and he always feels stressed or too tired to celebrate. I just know that he was not looking forward to leaving his family on Thanksgiving to prepare for Friday.

DH and I go out ourselves while MIL watches the kids. We love it. It is the only day each year we get to spend the day together consistently.

We do normal hours, leaving home 9 or 10 a.m. and usually ending with dinner. We don't usually do the mall at all. I like to go to Joanns for fabric after the crowds have left (I miss the best sale but that's okay with me).

We go to Costco and collect our free cookbook they give out each Black Friday. It is rarely crowded in there since they don't really have sales. We often get lunch and chat a bit on the tables there.

We hit Target for kids stuff in the afternoon, long after the serious deal hunters have gone back to bed. We aren't there for electronics, so it has never been too bad, less crowded often than a normal weekend.

We eat dinner out together, with lots of chatting.

That day is really the only time we have to stop together for the kids without them. Weekends are busy without childcare most of the time.