Menu

would your family make an interesting reality TV show?

(Putting aside for a moment the ethical question of whether children should be on reality TV...)

Would your family make an interesting reality TV show? If yes, then why? (Or if no, then why not?)

I've often wondered why there isn't a reality show about homeschooling. Yes the Duggars homeschool, but the show doesn't focus much on that fact. AFAIK there are no documentaries about homeschooling (correct me if I'm wrong!). I can see such a show being really fascinating-- maybe alternating between families using different approaches from classical to radical unschooling.

I think our family would be pretty interesting, at least for a certain audience. My husband is very intelligent and eccentric, but oblivious to his eccentricities in a disarmingly charming way. He is also a hoarder (a topic already embraced by reality TV) and can be so funny that he routinely makes people laugh to the point of tears. My oldest two kids are a walking comedy act. If my son deigns to open his mouth to you, he's uproariously funny. My younger kids are fanatical cartoonists-- if there is a piece of paper and writing implement within reach they will start cartooning, even if they have to share the same piece of paper simultaneously.

Both my husband and son are extremely private people who hate to be on camera... but it's fun to think about!

No.

Our house is usually quiet. Nobody would want to watch us reading and playing scrabble.

We are rather set in our routines. One week's show would look very much like the next.

My husband's life and work is actually very interesting and often times exciting, but once he gets home, he likes to settle into our quiet routine.

No.

Our house is usually quiet. Nobody would want to watch us reading and playing scrabble.

We are rather set in our routines. One week's show would look very much like the next.

My husband's life and work is actually very interesting and often times exciting, but once he gets home, he likes to settle into our quiet routine.

Crissy, are we related?:001_smile:

No.

This is us! Perhaps if you followed us around for an entire year you might be able to cobble together 12 exciting shows of special days/field trips etc. to make it seem interesting. But our life is fairly drama free and I like it that way.

Crissy, are we related?:001_smile:

:D

Kindred spirits at the very least!

This is us! Perhaps if you followed us around for an entire year you might be able to cobble together 12 exciting shows of special days/field trips etc. to make it seem interesting. But our life is fairly drama free and I like it that way.

I like it this way, too!

No, we are totally boring. That's how we like it! I can't stand drama & I strive to just live my life as calmly as possible (somedays are better than others) I don't like to have my entire life scheduled down to the minute, I like alone time. Viewers would be bored to tears!!:001_smile:

Yes. Unfortunately. :lol::tongue_smilie:

Yes. I have even had people suggest it. There is NO WAY I'd broadcast all of our family's drama. Fortunately, it is only the people living outside of our home. Dh and the kids and I are pretty boring. It is just when you throw the in laws and out laws in the mix that it gets rather, um, interesting.

(Putting aside for a moment the ethical question of whether children should be on reality TV...)

Would your family make an interesting reality TV show? If yes, then why? (Or if no, then why not?)

I've often wondered why there isn't a reality show about homeschooling. Yes the Duggars homeschool, but the show doesn't focus much on that fact. AFAIK there are no documentaries about homeschooling (correct me if I'm wrong!). I can see such a show being really fascinating-- maybe alternating between families using different approaches from classical to radical unschooling.

I think our family would be pretty interesting, at least for a certain audience. My husband is very intelligent and eccentric, but oblivious to his eccentricities in a disarmingly charming way. He is also a hoarder (a topic already embraced by reality TV) and can be so funny that he routinely makes people laugh to the point of tears. My oldest two kids are a walking comedy act. If my son deigns to open his mouth to you, he's uproariously funny. My younger kids are fanatical cartoonists-- if there is a piece of paper and writing implement within reach they will start cartooning, even if they have to share the same piece of paper simultaneously.

Both my husband and son are extremely private people who hate to be on camera... but it's fun to think about!

LOL, I've been told numerous times that we would make a great reality T.V. show but I don't see it. It does make me a little nervous that others think that about us though. :tongue_smilie: I think it's just the dynamics of my family though.

Also, I think that a show devoted to different homeschooling families and their education philosophy would be neat. I don't see a huge audience for it though.

No. We are "boring", ordinary people - except that we talk more and learn more than an average family. I cannot imagine what kind of show it would be... taping hours upon hours of discussions? Hours upon hours of people with their nose in a book? Hours upon hours of daily trivia of housework, baby work, and the standardized scenes of a loving husband coming home and children running to greet him?

We would bore the hell out of viewers, I think. A "cure your insomnia!" type of reality show. :tongue_smilie:

We have drama but it's boring drama, if that makes any sense - I mean who wants to see me up in the middle of the night for the millionth time with a 4yo screaming in pain or my 8yo breaking out in hives all over her arms from touching a milk spill we didn't know was there? :tongue_smilie: Or my head exploding from teaching the LDed teen spelling? :lol:

I would never want to be on reality TV, but I knew I had slid into "drama territory" when watching a reality weight loss show (can't remember which) and thinking, "I got more going on than this chick, where is *my* team of helpers??"

I would *love* to be on Extreme Makeover Home Edition though. Come build me a new house!! :lol:

I think people would be interested in our family, but I would be bombarded with criticism for my lack of house cleaning, and for letting my older girls "raise" my little girls.

Everyone would rave about how. Cute and smart my husband is, and what an exceptional father he is. So then, he would get a fat head and a 20 year old new wife who actually cleans.

Then everyone would blame me for breaking up my family by putting them on TV, so no, I'm just not gonna do it.

I think people would be interested in our family, but I would be bombarded with criticism for my lack of house cleaning, and for letting my older girls "raise" my little girls.

Everyone would rave about how. Cute and smart my husband is, and what an exceptional father he is. So then, he would get a fat head and a 20 year old new wife who actually cleans.

Then everyone would blame me for breaking up my family by putting them on TV, so no, I'm just not gonna do it.

:smilielol5:

:iagree:

You might only get 2 or 3 shows for us, though!!

Although, my daughter recently got rats, that could be a few interesting episodes, so maybe 5 or 6.

We are boring and we have embraced our boringness. Drama free is good.

Well... I think we'd probably be good as an example family in a one off documentary or TV special about homeschooling. I'll bet a lot of the "boring" families here would too.

And I think you could probably find some kid-related drama for an episode of something like that nanny show where they come in and tell you all the ways you're parenting all wrong. My kids are pretty good, but they're not without their issues and growing pains.

But in a "family drama!" kind of way? Absolutely not. It's not that we don't lead exciting enough lives (we take trips, we have fun, etc.) but dh and I are way too much in sync with each other to create enough drama for a show like that.

I think we'd be entertaining! 5 gringos from northern Minnesota living in Guatemalan highlands homeschooling and trying to continue to adjust to the culture. Let's not even get into the spanish speaking; the open-air market shopping; the having to restructure a menu because you can't find everything you need to make it work the real way; immigration:glare:; working with the homeless in a 3rd world country with absolutely no help from anyone for them; the stray dogs; running a co-op for other missionary families; and the fact that my dc are awesome! Yeah--I'd watch us.

Would I put us on a reality show? Nope. Too invasive and I'm not a publicity hound.

YES! I would never do one but seriously my house is nuts!

We are a blended, mixed-race family. The step kids are FAS, anti-social and ODD. One of mine is immuno-compromised and has all sorts of weird allergies and diseases. My other twin has severe speech and language disorders. Mine are loud, dramatic and hilarious. His are loud, dramatic and destructive. Homeschooling is a 3 ring circus. Our bedroom is a command center where you can watch the camera views from multiple rooms in our house. We are constantly having health scares with my son or punishing dsd for pooping on the floor or peeing in her clothes drawer, etc. One time we were AT a therapy session for my dsd when the twins called to tell us that dss just ran away. The psych just started laughing and said he would pray for us as we scrambled out the door while calling the police.

Before we moved, my goddaughter used to come over all the time because she said it was BETTER than watching reality TV. She would just sit on the couch and laugh or shake her head in disbelief. all. day. long.

I wish I could find the link now, but I can't. Anyway, a year or so ago, Mental multivitamin was given a lovely nod on one or another education site, and near the conclusion of the write-up, the site author indicated that he/she thought our family's life would make a wonderful reality show.

And although I think I understood what he/she was saying, I must agree with Crissy on this: I just don't think the day-to-day "stuff" would make good television. Our family even does utterly unwatchable (to most people, anyway) sports: archery and swimming.

Oh, look. Family M-mv is reading Shakespeare again.

Oh, whee. They're taking a walk. No, wait! A bike ride. Cool, cool

Hey! They're going to play Quirkle. Will Miss M-mv(ii) lose again, or will she finally grab the title from Mrs. M-mv.

Oh. My. GOD! They're going to a -- wait for it -- MUSEUM! What will these people do next?

Stay tuned.

Homework! These young adults actually do homework.

What's that noise? [Pushes open a door.] Are they... they're on the bed. What are they...? THEY'RE READING IN BED!

Ah, let's zoom in on the piano lesson.

And so on.

My mother-in-law, who is, apparently, the complete opposite of Impish's, wouldn't even watch.

Right now, no. We are in a fairly settled routine. Although dh is starting to rock the boat and make baby noises.

Between 2 and 5 years ago, our lives were a complete soap opera. When people get to know me IRL and hear our whole story, their jaws drop and and they are stunned for a good long while. I don't miss that time in our lives.

Give me boring routines any day!