Menu

Do other people get this comment about their children?

This is gonna sound kinda like a brag; and while I'm very proud of my children, I'm genuinely curious if they're SO different from other kids that we get these comments frequently...

Literally about half the time I take my boys out somewhere where someone waits on us in some capacity (like the store cashier, the restaurant waitress, the check out lady at the library), I get a comment about how well behaved my little boys (ages 5 1/2 and 8) are. I've even had (usually grandparent aged people) stop me to tell me how well behaved they are. :001_huh:

Now, please don't get me wrong; my boys have their, um, moments; even a few that have left me wishing I could disappear into the floor. :tongue_smilie: But dh and I put a lot of hard work into teaching good manners, discipline, etc, and the boys put a lot of hard work into learning them. I do feel they are well behaved, generally.

However.

But I always feel a bit confused, and a little sad. I feel my boys behave at a standard easily achieved my most children, barring special needs; my boys have no issues such as ADD, ADHD, etc (please excuse me if that is the wrong way to express my thoughts, I don't mean to offend at all). I guess what I'm saying is they're not perfect, they just kids who have been taught how to behave and who (generally) obey.

Do others get this? Does it leave you a bit confused and a little sad for what sort of children these people are *used* to interacting with?

BTW, I always say thank you with a big smile, and add that they're wonderful boys and are usually this well behaved. If I'm feeling chatty, I'll say something about how both the boys and I put a lot of hard work into teaching and learning these behaviors at home so that being out with them is enjoyable; I'll mention that it doesn't come naturally to them any more than to other children, we just make a priority of being consistent and diligent in teaching them. If I'm feeling extra brave, ;), I'll mention that we homeschool, so the boys and I have a lot of time to spend together to form their character, behavior, etc. (I guess I'm hoping that, in some small way, it could help cast a favorable light on homeschooling, at least for one person. :))

I also usually say something to the boys once we're alone about how nice it was that 'the check out lady at the store', or whoever, noticed how well they were behaving, and how proud that makes me, and what wonderful boys they are, and that they should remember that people notice how they behave in public.

Dh and I have gotten comments especially from waitstaff at restaurants about how polite our dc are. It's not often, because we really don't eat out that often :tongue_smilie: but I remember one waitress commenting that she never had a child thank her before (my dc will say thank you when their drinks or meals are brought).

Yes, yes! About how well behaved they are, about how the little ones sit through church as well as an adult, about how they can how a nice conversation, etc. However, they are normal kids at home (and some of them will ham it up in public if it's someone they are familiar with). I smile and say thank you or agree with them that they are good kids.

I have never, in my entire life, gotten a comment about how well-behaved my son is. I would probably fall over dead if they did. Or laugh in their face. ;)

I do have people tell me he's polite, though. He is very polite, just in an incredibly rambunctious way.

We frequently get comments on how well the kids are behaved as well. I'll point out to the kids how nice it was for 'so-and-so" to notice and how happy we are that they behaved well (or as expected in most cases).

Sometimes I wonder if they really don't see many well behaved kids but often it seems more like there was recently one kid who was so not well behaved that it stands out that my kids were well behaved.

We have our moments (many many of them) where my son especially is off the wall hyper so we definitely wouldn't get those comments - but even then I would still say he was better behaved than many other kids we have seen.

I've gotten it too. Usually about DD being able to sit through church, or in a restaurant or something like that. Which surprises me. I mean, aren't 6 yr olds sitting for prolonged periods in school? Shouldn't MOST 6 yr olds be able to sit for the 20 or so minutes, maximum, that they're sitting in church before we get up to sing, or go forward for communion? Or sit and wait for a meal to be served?

I honestly don't think she's all that unusual-is she??

We used to get this a lot when our ds's were young. One person even remarked how impressed he was that ds looked him in the eye when he talked to him. Another was impressed that ds gave a good, solid handshake.

Those comments didn't dismay me at all. Like your's, my ds's are regular kids who have their moments. I appreciate people taking the time to remark positively. I think it gave my ds's a boost to hear others compliment them.

You all have my son to thank for the comments! LOL, kidding!

He's hyper, impulsive, inattentive, and all boy. At the same time, he'll apologize for bumping into you, say thank you, please, and always offers to help people. It's very, very rare that we get well behaved comments unless the person knows him and is commenting on how well he's currently behaving, even if it's considered misbehaving for other kids.

I do on some of mine. On others I don't. It isn't always a matter of training. It is a large part personality.

I agree. If I had 2 children, I would have thought it was all my training -- I got these comments all the time, and still do about them. But it was kid #3 that made me realize how true the above statement is!

Not to undervalue your training OP -- I'm sure you're doing a great job, and that this is (part of!) why people notice your well-behaved kids.

I have never, in my entire life, gotten a comment about how well-behaved my son is. I would probably fall over dead if they did. Or laugh in their face. ;)

I do have people tell me he's polite, though. He is very polite, just in an incredibly rambunctious way.

Yup, this for us too.

I do on some of mine. On others I don't. It isn't always a matter of training. It is a large part personality.

:iagree:and I realize those in the educational field are not always well-regarded on this board, but I've had teachers from Colleges of Education tell me this as well.

Dh and I have gotten comments especially from waitstaff at restaurants about how polite our dc are. It's not often, because we really don't eat out that often :tongue_smilie: but I remember one waitress commenting that she never had a child thank her before (my dc will say thank you when their drinks or meals are brought).

My ds2 thanked the nursery worker for changing his diaper :001_huh: :lol: She said she had never been thanked for that before. Well neither have I! :001_smile:

OP, I am wondering if they are so surprised because your dc are boys. People, I think, expect girls to be better behaved, but expect much less of boys.

Yep, we get the comments consistently as well. I've got boys that naturally run the range of the behavior/energy spectrum (I thought I was a good parent that had it all figured out until I had one of my boys :svengo:). What makes me nervous is when we get the comments and I don't consider the boys to be behaving especially well--then I wonder what kind of behavior is considered normal these days.

One of the times we dropped our kids off at the play-place in IKEA the lady told dh and me that our kids were the best behaved kids they had ever had in there. I was really surprised and I did feel bad for the poor workers.

eta: Recently we were in a store and the salesgirl asked, "you homeschool, don't you?" I said, "yes, why do you ask?" She said, "they are nice."

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Guest Dulcimeramy

Agreeing that nobody expects anything good from boys. :(

I do get annoyed when my boys are using "indoor manners" and it is so shocking to everyone. I don't like to hear that my kids are unnaturally well-behaved, as if there is something weird about them or me.

They are very normal boys. They get dirtier and muddier than most, IMHO, because they are outdoors playing and biking more than the other kids on our street. They are loud, too, and rowdy, when they are playing outdoors. Healthy and happy boys.

So I taught them some indoor manners. Why people assume they act so polite all the time is baffling to me. As a child, I learned that there are different sets of manners for different settings. I thought everybody knew that.

We get comments like this often, both from strangers and from extended family who don't see the kids often (but work in schools and see kids every day). My favorite incident was last year when we took the kids to see Cats. This group of older ladies had the seats behind us and as they came in I saw one of them eyeball my kids with this look on her face that spoke volumes about what she expected -- obnoxious kids who would need to be shushed every two seconds - -and I could just see the wheels turning in her head, thinking along the lines of, "I paid all this money for tickets and now I'm not going to enjoy the show." My kids know how to behave in the theater. I start grilling them the week before, grill them in the car on the way there, and remind them once they're in their seats. I do this because I HAVE spent a lot of money to go to shows and had the experience ruined by some obnoxious children (one time by obnoxious teens and the parent did NOTHING to stop them!!!!!). I would be mortified if my children ruined the experience for anyone else. If a child can't behave in a setting like that, the child should be removed, or not brought at all.

That woman stopped us when the show was over and gushed about what well-behaved children we have, and what a good job we did raising them. We surprised her in a good way :001_smile: While it's gratifying to receive compliments from people, it is very sad that behavior like that isn't the expected norm. Oh, and BTW, one of my kids does have issues that make it difficult for him to sit still. When he's getting restless in a setting like that we apply deep pressure to both calm him and to clue him into what he's doing. He usually doesn't realize it when he's being a fidget.

Yes, I get them frequently, especially about my older two. My 2 yo does pretty well most of the time, but well, she's TWO :D. I got them when my oldest was still in PS, sometimes from the PS teachers/staff, so I don't feel like it has a whole lot to do with homeschooling. I think it's due to a whole host of variables.

Guest Dulcimeramy

When I was growing up, I knew many polite children who were all public schooled. My own mother had very strict standards, and she never homeschooled us a day.

I blame families for not tending to this, but I also blame the culture for deciding that "kid-friendly" means "chaotic."

When our local third grade classroom more closely resembles Chuck E. Cheese than the one-room schoolhouses of the past, we have a problem.

It doesn't matter whether it is school, Children's Church, a birthday party, or a hayride. If the kids aren't wound up tighter than drums, screaming and jumping, the adults aren't happy.

Yep, we get the comments consistently as well. I've got boys that naturally run the range of the behavior/energy spectrum (I thought I was a good parent that had it all figured out until I had one of my boys :svengo:). What makes me nervous is when we get the comments and I don't consider the boys to be behaving especially well--then I wonder what kind of behavior is considered normal these days.

Yes, same here. And YES, the bolded! Those days I am ready to lose it trying to keep them level and someone comments "wow...are they always this well behaved?" or something along those lines..and I'm left thinking 'what? are you serious? ok, they're not off the hook, but really, can you not see? have you not heard me the last 5 minutes in line correcting each of them at least thrice!?! For the SAME offense? Really?' Thank you. Yes, I try. Yes, it is work. Yes, I often fail. But there are those days when I really wonder what folks are used to seeing if they are commenting positively on my children's behavior.

I'll mention that it doesn't come naturally to them any more than to other children, we just make a priority of being consistent and diligent in teaching them.

In my few years of experience, I think this is KEY! Truly!

We get comments like that all the time & while there is A LOT that goes into having well-behaved children, EXPECTATIONS & CONSISTENCY are two that jump out at the moment as key.

We get these comments, but I think it's mostly due to the # and ages of kiddos. People aren't used to seeing bigger families, and my younger group looks pretty adorable when they are helping each other. I think many parents are/were overwhelmed with their own crew and can't imagine having more of them to manage.

Just this morning the WM greeter gushed to me about my oldest two hugging each other in the store. This just two days after my oldest was telling me how different she is b/c the other girls her age don't like their brothers. :glare:

Yes, I have been complimented many times over the years while we were out somewhere----doctor's offices, stores, restaurants, hair salons (I sometimes drag them with me), even theme parks---which is why I usually let it slide when they are LOUD and sometimes obnoxious at home.

It is something I have attempted to teach them by example ever since they were itty bitty: Always be respectful and aware of those around you. Keep your hands to yourself, be courteous, speak in a voice appropriate for the venue, don't stand or put your feet on the furniture (which I see children doing frequently, especially in restaurants), be helpful when you have the opportunity (holding doors open, etc.), don't run or jump unless you're outside. In other words, shoot for unobtrusiveness if the surroundings call for it :001_smile:

It is a work in progress, however, as my kids are not quiet by nature, and all three have BIG, sometimes boisterous personalities.

Sooo....I've had my work cut out for me :D

Yes, we often get such comments and on more than one occasion, our children have been brought special treats, like a cookie or something, because they floored the waitstaff at a restaurant by simply thanking them for bringing their food and drinks :001_huh:. I appreciate that our children are well behaved and polite, but you really do have to wonder, what sorts of behavior these poor restaurants are used to!

All. The. Time. I do believe that when the girls were younger, the compliments were a nice boost for them, but after awhile it started to drive me a bit batty, especially when the compliments would come at times where I did not feel that the kids were acting in an appropriate manner.

We have very specific standards for how the kids conduct themselves. I do not consider these standards to be over the top (being polite, looking people in the eye, saying thank you/Ma'am/Sir, not running around Walmart like banshees, sitting quietly when waiting or in church, ect,) but people comment on the girls so often, I wonder if anyone in our town has any standards anymore.

I had a lady in Payless about fall over one time when my DD (about 8 at the time) thanked me for buying her a pair of shoes. She said that in all her years of working there, she had never heard a kid thank their parents for buying shoes.

A couple of years ago, I went to pick the girls up from a summer camp for military kids. When I got there, one of the counselors (not camp counselor...someone there to deal with any issues specific to military kids) stopped me, saying how she had been waiting to talk to me all week.

She then proceeded to tell me how when ever she was around the actual "camp" counselors they were always talking about my kids (in a good way.) She spent a good 30 mins wanting specifics on how we parented. The entire time, I was thinking...this lady went to how many years of school to be a child therapist...and she does not understand how to parent?

I have been told numerous times that Dh and I should give parenting classes, and I want to roll my eyes. Our kids are *not perfect. They fight, they sometimes backtalk, and right now their rooms are a disaster. They are normal kids who have parents who are raising them with very specific standards...and we stick to them, even when it would be easier not to. That is all it takes, anyone can do it!

I've gotten it too. Usually about DD being able to sit through church, or in a restaurant or something like that. Which surprises me. I mean, aren't 6 yr olds sitting for prolonged periods in school? Shouldn't MOST 6 yr olds be able to sit for the 20 or so minutes, maximum, that they're sitting in church before we get up to sing, or go forward for communion? Or sit and wait for a meal to be served?

I honestly don't think she's all that unusual-is she??

:iagree:

I do all the time. I chalk it up to the number of kids I have vs just how good they are- it's a fair number for them to all be well behaved at the same time. :tongue_smilie: My kids are not extra ordinary but they are well behaved and mannered. I don't expect I'd get similar comments if I only had 1.

Of course, my 3yo seems determined to put an end to these comments as evidenced by his behavior lately when I take him out in public.:glare:

We used to get this a lot when our ds's were young. One person even remarked how impressed he was that ds looked him in the eye when he talked to him. Another was impressed that ds gave a good, solid handshake.

Those comments didn't dismay me at all. Like your's, my ds's are regular kids who have their moments. I appreciate people taking the time to remark positively. I think it gave my ds's a boost to hear others compliment them.

:iagree: I am not sure that it occurs to parents to teach their children this. I know that we would not have thought about it. When our oldest was a newborn, my Dh had to go to Korea for a year. He was extremely nervous about how to parent, especially a girl. I found this book and sent it to him.

http://www.amazon.com/She-Calls-Me-Daddy-Building/dp/1561796522/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303943215&sr=1-1

This book helped set the foundation for how we parent. We knew what kind of kids we wanted to raise, but I believe we would have floundered around trying to figure it all out had it not been for this book. This book is where we learned things like how important it is for the kids to look adults in the eye, give firm handshakes, ect.

While it is written by a father of girls...for fathers of girls, it is very applicable for boys as well. (Well, maybe not the daddy/daughter dates :)

Yes, same here. And YES, the bolded! Those days I am ready to lose it trying to keep them level and someone comments "wow...are they always this well behaved?" or something along those lines..and I'm left thinking 'what? are you serious? ok, they're not off the hook, but really, can you not see? have you not heard me the last 5 minutes in line correcting each of them at least thrice!?! For the SAME offense? Really?' Thank you. Yes, I try. Yes, it is work. Yes, I often fail. But there are those days when I really wonder what folks are used to seeing if they are commenting positively on my children's behavior.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Yes! This!

My kids aren't even that well-behaved and I hear that. I think people must have some low expectations. Then again, the place I hear it most is our grocery store that opened right after they were born. The cashiers have all seen them grow up and recognize them and ask after them.

Not so much politeness specifically, but people have often been taken by the mature, open and direct way they interact with adults in general and have often commented on what great kids they are. It does seem to be a common trait in homeschoolers to actually be able to relate to adults well, especially looking them in the eye.

Maybe its what they don't learn- playground behaviour- more than what they do learn- because I haven't done anything specific to make my kids good communicators.

I remember taking my class of middle school kids to the ballet for a field trip. These kids were not well behaved kids "naturally" but I had drilled our school rules into them. And on the entire time to the Opera House I drilled our field trip rules into them. When we sat down, I got some really dirty looks from patrons sitting near us. The kids were not angels during the performance but weren't hellions either. Later some of the nearby patrons came to tell me how well behaved they were! So when I get compliments on my homeschooled kids - I remember the compliments on my private schooled class too;)

We get comments like this often, both from strangers and from extended family who don't see the kids often (but work in schools and see kids every day). My favorite incident was last year when we took the kids to see Cats. This group of older ladies had the seats behind us and as they came in I saw one of them eyeball my kids with this look on her face that spoke volumes about what she expected -- obnoxious kids who would need to be shushed every two seconds - -and I could just see the wheels turning in her head, thinking along the lines of, "I paid all this money for tickets and now I'm not going to enjoy the show." My kids know how to behave in the theater. I start grilling them the week before, grill them in the car on the way there, and remind them once they're in their seats. I do this because I HAVE spent a lot of money to go to shows and had the experience ruined by some obnoxious children (one time by obnoxious teens and the parent did NOTHING to stop them!!!!!). I would be mortified if my children ruined the experience for anyone else. If a child can't behave in a setting like that, the child should be removed, or not brought at all.

That woman stopped us when the show was over and gushed about what well-behaved children we have, and what a good job we did raising them. We surprised her in a good way :001_smile: While it's gratifying to receive compliments from people, it is very sad that behavior like that isn't the expected norm. Oh, and BTW, one of my kids does have issues that make it difficult for him to sit still. When he's getting restless in a setting like that we apply deep pressure to both calm him and to clue him into what he's doing. He usually doesn't realize it when he's being a fidget.

One of my favorites was when we went home to visit family. Our family had not seen our kids in quite a few years. One day we went to visit my grandparents. The girls and I were sitting in the kitchen with my grandma and the conversation turned to an issue with a cousin that my kids just did not need to hear. I told the girls that this was an adult conversation, and they should go to the living room. They did, and my grandma and I continued our conversation. About 45 mins later, my grandma stops mid sentence. She could not believe that we had been talking for 45 mins, and not once had the girls came back in...and even though they were in the next room, we had not heard a peep out of them. `My grandma is very stern and for her to compliment a child's behavior is quite a feat.

To show that my kids are *not perfect though...

During that same visit, we were at a different branch of the family for dinner. We were all sitting around the table for dinner when the girls came up again. Different aunts and uncles were asking us questions about our parenting. We were explaining that we have a number of things we use in our "toolbox" so to speak. Things like...being consistent, time outs, spanking if needed...at this point our middle (and most challenging) dd, Riley, pops up with "and killing us." Total. Silence.

DH and just kind of chuckled, and said something like "Right"...and Riley responds with "Yes, just like that one kid...you know, the boy we used to have?" Total. awkward. silence.

I could have actually KILLED her! :lol:

Yes, I've gotten these comments many a time, and no, it's not just personality, as I have five, and one of them, ADD. It's the result of a HUGE amount of work. And there are times I wish the floor would swallow us all...

:iagree: Our middle dd was extremely difficult. There were times where it would have been so much easier to let her do what she wanted, but we held firm...even when it did not seem like anything was working. When she was three, Dh and I wondered how we were going to control her at 13, if we could not control her at three.

One day it just clicked! She is still the most challenging, but her Dad and I are the only ones who really see it.

We get those comments frequently, too. Often I'll get that comment when I'm embarrassed by how poorly behaved they've been. Once I was at my doctor with the three older kids (before #4 arrived). I felt my kids were not being well behaved at all when the ARNP I was seeing told them they were being so good. I was flabbergasted and said so. The answer I got was, "At least they aren't running throughout the halls and breaking things."

So, there you go. That's the standard they are used to seeing.

Our children's behavior frequently gets complimented when we are out, and most especially at restaurants, from both the staff and other customers. Often times they are not even behaving to our standards. We are always surprised to hear it, especially when we feel their behavior was not their best.

Do other children really behave that badly in public, or do people just have really low expectations of children?

...at this point our middle (and most challenging) dd, Riley, pops up with "and killing us." Total. Silence.

DH and just kind of chuckled, and said something like "Right"...and Riley responds with "Yes, just like that one kid...you know, the boy we used to have?" Total. awkward. silence.

:lol: They must not have been too good friends or relatives if they weren't sure how many kids you had. . . :lol:

Our children's behavior frequently gets complimented when we are out, and most especially at restaurants, from both the staff and other customers. Often times they are not even behaving to our standards. We are always surprised to hear it, especially when we feel their behavior was not their best.

Do other children really behave that badly in public, or do people just have really low expectations of children?

Us too. One day I was out grocery shopping with the oldest. He was hungry, as usual, and we stopped at the prepared fast foods, he wanted fried chicken. He was about eight and we spent some time there comparing prices and discussing if we should buy it. We had no idea that someone was clearly listening to us. This man found us on the other end of the grocery store, came over, shook our hands and complimented us, me on my parenting and ds on his behavior. I felt like a failure because I HAD caved in and gotten the chicken he wanted. To this day have no idea what he overheard that seemed so great to him.

We get those comments a lot as did my own parents. I've never really thought that much about them. The only comment that has ever gotten to me is from a young girl at our local grocery store. Every single time she sees us she comments how we're "the perfect family". I told my dh it makes me sad because I wonder what her own family must be like and all the other families she knows. We're not perfect by any means but something about us strikes a chord with this girl and my heart goes out to her.

My kids get a lot of compliments from adults (which I find hilarious), but those same adults tend to tell me "Oh, they're fine!" as I'm trying to prevent them from banging on metal bleachers, hog 'community' candy, yell at the top of their lungs, or take an attitude with other kids. And that was just at tonight's baseball games!

One day I'm just going to snap and ask if they're actively TRYING to get my kids to act like THEIR crazy little maniacs. (And I use that as a term of semi-endearment.)

I wish. We have spent hours and hours and years and years trying to teach ds11 to say thank you, look people in the eye, etc. And I still have to remind him every time almost. When he was recently diagnosed with Aspergers I was actually relieved, because it meant he wasn't just plain rude.

ETA: Wait, my son DID get an award his last semester of public school, for good behavior. I got an invitation to an awards ceremony, but didn't know what it was for exactly. When the principal started to explain that she would be inviting up on stage the children that exemplified good behavior and conduct I started squirming, thinking that my invitation must have been a mistake. I was flabbergasted when my son's name was read. Um, wow, how bad do the other kids behave????

Edited by ktgrok

I used to get those comments. A long time ago, when I had one very precocious, charming, well-behaved toddler. Then her sister and brother came along, and I don't get those comments about ANY of my kids.

My 2 kids were also charming ,well-behaved toddlers and I would get comments almost everywhere we went. I don't think it was any wonderful parenting but they were just so... good. And endearing.

I don't get those comments much anymore because, I'm guessing (most likely) either my kids don't deserve it :sneaky2: or because most kids know how to behave by the age of 8. :)