Menu

Ladies: Do you know how to change a flat tire?

Do you know how to change a tire?  

1. 1. Do you know how to change a tire?

• Yes, and I would have no problem doing it myself
    • Yes, but I would call someone instead
    • No, I have no real working idea how to do this
    • Other

I went out to the garage this morning to find my car has a flat tire. I drove about 2 hrs round trip yesterday with my kids at roughly 70mph, and it occurred to me that A) I'm really glad that it didn't happen then! and B) If it had happened on the highway, I wouldn't have remembered how to change it (and I don't even know if I have a spare tucked under there or how to get it off). I know I learned how to do this in high school, but I don't think I would know how to do it anymore.

So, do YOU know this basic maintenance about your own vehicle?

I voted other. I know how to change the tires and have done it before, but the last 2 flats I have had, I couldn't get the spare off myself. The last one took dh, our neighbor, and I plus several tools to get it off because the mechanism to lower the tire was broken.

Yeah, I could do it and a few other things if I had to like change the oil, brake pads, put on a new head gasket. But the question would be would I want to? If the weather is uncomfortable or I don't want to get dirty at the time of the need, I'd send it to a shop.

Am I stranded on the side of the road with my kid? I'd probably call someone. If my car is in the drive, I'd call dh to "help" me change it.

Yeah, I could do it and a few other things if I had to like change the oil, brake pads, put on a new head gasket. But the question would be would I want to? If the weather is uncomfortable or I don't want to get dirty at the time of the need, I'd send it to a shop.

Am I stranded on the side of the road with my kid? I'd probably call someone. If my car is in the drive, I'd call dh to "help" me change it.

:iagree:

I could change it but would call someone for a couple of reasons.

It's not safe to have children in the car while it is jacked up, but neither could I keep them safe on the side of the freeway while messing with the tire. With a 3 year old and a 1 year old, that just wouldn't work.

My spare is UNDER the MIDDLE of my car which would just be too much of a pain to get out.

I don't have the tools in my car to do it.

Yes, but the last time I tried to change one (twenty years ago) with the help of a (girl)friend, we somehow ended up driving the jack through the back of the car. Apparently, the car has to be on a level surface. Who knew? :D

:lol: Me! Even I knew that! :lol: (I just don't know how to apply the jack. I do, however know where to find it, though)

If you have your car's manual in the car, it shows the location of the spare, the jack (and tools), and how to change the tire. Directions are pretty easy to follow (even if it can be difficult to get the torque on the bolts right).

I started to change my tire on the highway once. A passerby stopped to help, and I found that WAY more scary than just a simple tire change. Fortunately, he turned out to be harmless, but it freaked me out enough to decide I will no longer change tires on the side of the road alone. The experience made me feel way too vulnerable.

I once realized I had a punctured tire when I came out of the grocery store, just a few miles down the street from where we lived at the time. Dh (who also knows how to change a tire) drove over so I could take the kids home in his car, and he hung out to wait for AAA instead of doing it himself. :tongue_smilie:

I voted other. I know how to change the tires and have done it before, but the last 2 flats I have had, I couldn't get the spare off myself. The last one took dh, our neighbor, and I plus several tools to get it off because the mechanism to lower the tire was broken.

Same here. I am just not strong enough to do the job completely by myself. I know how to change a tire, etc. I have changed tires, changed oil, changed filters, replaced alternator, replaced hoses.

I don't do any of it anymore... my Dh, older nephew, neighbor, or dealership takes care of it all.

I can't do those things.

I can & do refill washer fluid, replace windshield wipers, top off antifreeze (cuz mine gets low), fill the car with gas, vacuum it out...

I cannot change a tire. I have AAA for a reason and have had to use them several times. Just a few days ago as a matter of fact. I always see people LAYING on the side of the highway under their car and trying to fix something or change the tire...their heads are so close to the highway! I think it is crazy, lol. I would never ever try to fix my car on the side of the road...plus I have 3 kids and it would just be dangerous... I say if you can, have AAA, or your insurance roadside or something and use it! Also, if someone asks you for what you want for your birthday/christmas, etc... a great gift is AAA!

I can pretty much pump my gas, check the oil, and wash the windshield, lol!

Christina

I know how to do it but if I were within city limits I'd call the tow truck guy simply because when the nuts are put on with the air compressors they are really hard to get off & you run the risk of stripping them. I know I'd have to jump on the wrench to even get them to move & that's a recipe for stripping them.

I started to change my tire on the highway once. A passerby stopped to help, and I found that WAY more scary than just a simple tire change. Fortunately, he turned out to be harmless, but it freaked me out enough to decide I will no longer change tires on the side of the road alone. The experience made me feel way too vulnerable.

The one time I had a to change a spare on the highway, I was so relieved when a passerby stopped and helped me. I could not get those nuts off. I know my dh has stopped a few times and helped people who clearly needed it. Thank goodness for good Samaritans.

I know how to do it, but I would only do it myself if I absolutely had to. I've seen way too many stories on the news about people on the side of the highway or road who were struck and killed by other cars.

I have done it, but it's a bear to change the tire on the full-sized van and I have AAA membership so I don't have to. The tire is slung underneath the van and is quite difficult to get out. The tire is also huge and heavy, so it's physically difficult to deal with.

Back when I had a regular car, it was quicker and easier to just change it myself.

I have no idea how to change a tire, and have no desire to do so. I mean, I know the theory, jack up, remove nuts, etc., but I doubt I would be able to get them off anyway, and just really don't care to try. I put car repair in the same category as working the lawn mower. I probably could do it if I had to, filling the gas, yanking that chain thing over and over till it starts, but why? This is why I have a dh and ds, and if they weren't available, I would hire someone to do it.

Dh could probably figure out how to run the washer and dryer, pay the bills online and buy groceries if he really had to, but doesn't technically know how, and has no reason to try.

I agree it is important to be as knowledgeable and capable as possible to be a functioning adult, but I don't see anything wrong with a little specializing and division of labor. So no, no intention of changing a tire here. The one time I had a flat on the interstate, I called a tow company, they put my spare on, and I continued on my way. No big deal.

I have no idea how to change a tire, and have no desire to do so. I mean, I know the theory, jack up, remove nuts, etc., but I doubt I would be able to get them off anyway, and just really don't care to try. I put car repair in the same category as working the lawn mower. I probably could do it if I had to, filling the gas, yanking that chain thing over and over till it starts, but why? This is why I have a dh and ds, and if they weren't available, I would hire someone to do it.

Ah...A girl after my own heart ;).

(Actually, a couple years ago I started cutting the grass with the riding lawnmower. It's nice because everyone leaves me alone for about 45 minutes and my lawn gets mowed more than once every 3 weeks :))

I have AAA for these situations but I have put on spares before.

My fear is that I will use the jack incorrectly and/or not tighten the nuts enough on the spare.

I have a bad back and don't have the strength to jack the car, loosen or tighten the nuts, or lift and position the tire. I know the procedure, but can't execute it.

God bless AAA.

I have a bad back and don't have the strength to jack the car, loosen or tighten the nuts, or lift and position the tire. I know the procedure, but can't execute it.

God bless AAA.

This is me, except that it's not that I know I can't execute, just that I fear that I couldn't. :tongue_smilie: DH is a handy guy to have around, for many reasons. :D

I asked my father how to change a tire, but the situation never presented itself naturally. When I got my first car, dh (then my boyfriend) bought me AAA. He figured they could get dirty instead of me.

However I still would really like to know how to change a tire!

I have to take this opportunity to brag on my dh. He wasn't with me the first time my van had a flat tire. I pulled over and broke out the owner's manual to figure out where all the components were to change the tire. There, on the page of the manual, was a little love/encouragement note. He apologized for not being with me and said he knew I could do it. It just made the whole ordeal turn into a non-ordeal. Gotta love him!

I have to take this opportunity to brag on my dh. He wasn't with me the first time my van had a flat tire. I pulled over and broke out the owner's manual to figure out where all the components were to change the tire. There, on the page of the manual, was a little love/encouragement note. He apologized for not being with me and said he knew I could do it. It just made the whole ordeal turn into a non-ordeal. Gotta love him!

Awwwww.