Menu

Which statement is true--dog related

Which is true for you?  

1. 1. Which is true for you?

• A
    • B

Which of these statements do you agree with most.

A) When entering a home in which a dog lives, one should expect to be smelled, licked, possibly jumped on, by the dog.

B) When one lives with a dog, it is their responsibility to make sure guests are not smelled, licked or jumped on if they do not want to be.

B. I felt that way when I was a dog owner, not just when I am a guest.

More so as an owner, actually. As a guest I try to be understanding if it is clear that the dog's owner is really making an effort to train a young or over-excited dog to behave, but really it is better manners to put the dog in another room if it cannot greet guests politely.

Cat

You forgot "other" :p

I'd say both are equally true. A guest should be prepared to get doggy loving, but the host has a responsibility to make sure the guest is comfortable.

My parents own two huge dogs and two small dogs. My youngest nephew is terrified of these dogs. When he's coming over the dogs are put in the backyard or locked in their bedroom. Everyone else gets to build up a nice fur covering on their clothes and do their best to keep the dogs from licking their faces off :D

Ideally? definitely B; dogs live with humans and need to be taught how to treat them, not to mention the safety factor of jumping and knocking someone down. In reality? Maybe a little A would be wise :blush:.

However, I do think if a guest comes to home in which a dog lives, the guest really should expect the dog to at least smell the new guy in thier house. Really, it's only respectful on the part of the guest toward the residents (including the dog) who live there to consider the communication limitations of those residents.

You forgot "other" :p

I'd say both are equally true. A guest should be prepared to get doggy loving, but the host has a responsibility to make sure the guest is comfortable.

My parents own two huge dogs and two small dogs. My youngest nephew is terrified of these dogs. When he's coming over the dogs are put in the backyard or locked in their bedroom. Everyone else gets to build up a nice fur covering on their clothes and do their best to keep the dogs from licking their faces off :D

:iagree:

I have two dogs and although they do not jump the will "greet". They smell to see who the person is and to get to know them, it is all a dog can do they can't talk to the person :D

Both A & B.

I think owners should try to teach their dogs not to jump or bother guests. But it can be very difficult for younger dogs. Also it is difficult to constantly monitor very friendly dogs from the random lick or smell.

I think if you don't want any contact with a dog, don't do go into a house that has a dog.

Jumping is not okay. Licking never happens around here unless the person has shown some positive overtures.

I have a Muslim friend who has a religious problem with touching dogs. I have always kept my dog away from him, and after a while, the dog just accepted that he's not to approach this person, though if he had a chance to smell his shoes, that became a very attractive prospect. But the dog did learn that this person is different from others.

I have not trained my dog not to sniff other people because I don't consider sniffing to be an impolite greeting. It's sort of like telling a guest, "You are not allowed to look at my daughter. She doesn't like it." Looking is how we evaluate people. Dogs sniff. I am okay with my dog sniffing. If I knew a guest was very scared of dogs or really could not stand them, I would put him away (but not invite the person over much!). Without knowing that, it would not occur to me not to allow him to sniff.

Both.

I crate my dogs when people come over. Depending on who it is, I'll bring them out after we're settled.

When I go to visiting, I'd appreciate the same gesture, but I do not tell other people how to run their homes. And I don't mind dogs who are a bit overly rambunctious.

C. Guests should expect to be sniffed. (Not a real in your butt sniffing, but a sniff.) They should not be licked or jumped on.

Dogs get information through their nose. Digging their nose into a person or pushing with their nose is too much but a light sniff is ok.

Licking and jumping are behaviors that are best left to the doggy park. ;)

And to the poster who feels a "swift kick" is the way to handle that situation; I really hope you don't own animals. If you kicked my dog you would be kicked out of my house.

If someone ever makes the choice to open their home to a dog they need to be educated on dogs and how they communicate.

Both are true. When entering another person's home who has a dog, I am not surprised or offended by being greeted by their dog and if I become annoyed with it, I let the dog know to stop.

I try to reasonably train my dog and if I can see that someone doesn't like her behavior, I remove her.

When I enter a home for the first time, I appreciate if the host restrains his/her dogs. I will offer my hand for sniffing and may even pet the dog. I usually do not mind if the dog licks my hand. I do not want to be jumped on or have my face licked.

One of my children was knocked down by an over-exhuberant dog. The owner stated that the dog just wanted to play. My son is now terrified of strange dogs. He will pet dogs he knows as long as they don't try to jump on him.

I voted B with some reservations.

When I did doggy foster care, part of my job was to properly socialize my foster dogs and puppies. Dogs aren't born knowing their place in the pack or knowing how to properly greet and respond to guests. It was my job to teach that. Jumping up is not OK. I alway had a list of willing victims to come to my house as my guests to help with this process. During that time period, we all knew it was a learning process.

On the other hand, if you really don't like dogs, you probably shouldn't come to my house. I will crate and put outside for short periods of time. But especially with my rescue dog who has epilepsy and anxiety issues, I cannot separate her from us for very long or she will have seizures and get very neurotic. It is her home too, and it simply isn't fair to her. I won't let her exhibit bad behavior, but I also won't make her miserable. And I would really hope my friends would say something to me instead of kicking my dog. Ouch.

Edited by Asenik

A!

One dog is a Great Dane and is trained as a family guard dog...so if you come into my house with ill intent...you will be jumped on and pinned to the ground!!!!

Otherwise, he will bark and sniff at you in his initial assesment. If your nice he'll come up and let you pet him, and if your really lucky you will get a Dane sized lick!

The other is a runt pug...yep...she's gonna sniff, lick and jump the bottom 10in of your leg :)

ps...victim of violent crime here...guard dog is here to stay...people have to deal with it!

Voting was difficult because, like many have suggested, sniffing and jumping are very different.

A dog owner should be responsible to train their dogs or put them away if the dogs are difficult or in the process of training. Jumping is not acceptable.

As the guest, if I am told that this house is home to a dog and I don't make a request or expectation known that I do not wish to have contact with said dog then I am prepared to be "contacted" by the dog. Not jumped on. But, I expect a little sniffing and possibly being brushed up against (which is usually more catlike but some dogs do this) and some 'please pet me' doggy eyes. If I choose to pet, I usually prepare myself to be licked (some dogs are just like that). If I don't want to be licked then I don't pet.

A guest with really high expectations is best served by communicating with the host first. By this I mean things like dd is terrified of dogs could you please make appropriate arrangements, or I am not really a dog person and ask about their behavior etc.

I don't know about any of you guys but I can hardly get my 7 yr old to not jump on and lick people:tongue_smilie:.

Oh and I wanted to add...I do not think it is acceptable to kick a dog (unless you are under attack). The dogs aren't the only ones who need to behave politely! I would be floored if a guest kicked a dog even if the dog did momentarily forget his manners. A raised knee is acceptable and effective enough.

A!

One dog is a Great Dane and is trained as a family guard dog...so if you come into my house with ill intent...you will be jumped on and pinned to the ground!!!!

Otherwise, he will bark and sniff at you in his initial assesment. If your nice he'll come up and let you pet him, and if your really lucky you will get a Dane sized lick!

The other is a runt pug...yep...she's gonna sniff, lick and jump the bottom 10in of your leg :)

ps...victim of violent crime here...guard dog is here to stay...people have to deal with it!

we used to have a Dane and he was overly friendly throughout his puppy stage (even though he was a 100 pound puppy). He made instant friends with my SIL's very proper English friend visiting the States and sat on the couch beside her the entire visit. She talks about it to this day (fondly) and claims he is the only dog she instantly loved. He didn't jump on people, but could knock them down with an affectionate lean. And, oh my, his bark was LOUD. But he really was a big lover. Miss him still.

Our remaining dog (shepherd) will sniff you and if you offer your hand it may get a wet noseplant or a quick lick. If you crouch down and offer your face, you will get a lick. First, though, she will bark at you and try to intimidate you until one of the family tells her you're okay because that is her job. She will not jump up.

I chose B and have been desperately trying to get our 2 shelter puppies to agree. If I have grown ups over, it's very difficult b/c I have to crate them the entire time (during which they whine, scratch, etc) b/c they want to be noticed NOW. I have tried the 'knee,' treats, distraction, etc. They are in 4H training w/my kids, but nothing seems to work. Hopefully they'll grow out of it (SOON!). They're almost a year, but they feed off of each other. It has definitely curtailed my social life.

Laura

Both are true.

I'm not too thrilled with dogs jumping up & our fosters who need it get taught "4 on the floor" & to come say hi politely. I usually end up teaching them to jump on command though, b/e I think it's a fun trick.

I can tell pretty quickly if someone doesn't like dogs & I put them in a long down stay on their mats if required. My guys mostly know not to be pests anyway.

When I visit someone with a dog, I expect to have a long dog greeting and I enjoy socializing with the dog. Obviously I don't mind being sniffed & licked by dogs. I enjoy the company of dogs.

DOGS LIVE HERE

If you don't want to be greeted with paws and swinging tails

don't come inside because dogs live here.

If you don't like the feel of a cold nose or a wet tongue,

If you don't want to step over many scattered toys,

If you think that a home ought to smell of perfume,

If you don't mind all of this,

you will be instantly loved when you come inside,

because dogs live here.

Author: David Lester

C. Guests should expect to be sniffed. (Not a real in your butt sniffing, but a sniff.) They should not be licked or jumped on.

However, I'm always understanding when I go to someone's house and their dogs lick me, jump me, etc. Most of the time, I can see that the person I'm visiting is trying to get their dog to behave properly so I'm not going to fault them for some doggie exuberance. :)

Guest Cindie2dds
Which of these statements do you agree with most.

A) When entering a home in which a dog lives, one should expect to be smelled, licked, possibly jumped on, by the dog.

I picked A. I don't have any dogs inside our home because dh and dd1 have asthma, but this is what dogs do. They smell you, not shake your hand. They are animals, even though they are members of that person's family, if you are not part of that family, you should not expect the dog to ignore instincts.

Now, should the owner attempt to make sure you are comfortable, yes; but if you know there is a dog living there, you as the human should be prepared to enter his home. :D

Definitely B. If the dog is not properly trained then it needs to be restrained when guests come over. I put my cats up in my bedroom for that very reason. I would never presume that a guest will appreciate my pets like I do. My guests come to see me and my family, not my animals. :)

I voted b, however when a person comes to our house my pug loses her mind. She loves everyone and wants them to know it. And most people love her, including the fedex guy who talks baby talk to her. We usually have to put her out back or hold her. Most people don't mind her, but we really do try to keep her from loving people to death. She's well-trained until company shows up.

Here's the thing: Most people don't give a hoot about your dogs. I love my dogs...some people love my dogs. But my dogs are put safely and happliy away in my room when we have guests. If a guest wants to be 'snifffed', let them asked to be sniffed. It's annoying to most guests to be greated by sniffing /hyperventilating dogs. I say this as a dog- lover, and a dog-owner: Put your dogs away for a party. Nobody cares. If we guests want to meet them, we will ask. I promise. If we are missing being sniffed by your mutts, we will seek you out and say, "Hey, let me pet your dogs!" Seriously. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Sniffing is fine. Licking/jumping is not.

I expect my dog to sniff a stranger entering his home. Unfortunately, he is a rescue with major stranger and separation anxiety issues and tends to bark and run around when people enter the house. Once one of the kids or I can grab him and hold him, he's fine. If I shut him in a bedroom, he panics even more. I look forward to that not being an issue, but while it is I have to tend to my dog's well-being as well as my guests' comfort.

I'd say both. Yes, I expect a dog to greet me in a doggy fashion. But yes, I also expect the dog's human to restrain it if I don't like this, or if my small child is frightened. If a dog has not been trained to stay down when told, it would be considerate to put the dog out the backyard or in a different room when toddlers, frail elder people or anybody who may not want to be exuberantly greeted is coming in.

I have a dog that's been previously abused (the poor thing is even terrified of a brush and scissors. She's an ungroomed mess). When someone new comes in, she will completely flip out until she's allowed to sniff the person. So, being sniffed is a concession a guest has to make in my house, or they're going to hear my dog bark and growl until they leave. We're working on the problem, but my poor little pooch had been returned 2x to a shelter, so she's generally a nervous dog and DOES. NOT. LIKE. STRANGE. MEN! Generally, holding out a hand to be sniffed does the job and she's fine. However, I can confine her in an instant if I need to.

I generally prefer my pets over people, anyway. ;)

I voted B...and I have a big, friendly lab who would smell/lick you if I let him. Unless it is a neighbor kid who I know likes the dog, I restrain Captain. Then if the visitor says "Oh, I love dogs" or words to that effect, I let Captain go and he and the visitor adore each other a bit.

I find plumbers and other workmen tend to LOVE dogs. Not so much aged relatives ;)

I am able to put down a chair or two and block Captain in a bedroom or living room where he can still SEE and hear everyone, without actually adoring us.

Edited by JFSinIL

I believe both are true. People shouldn't be jumped on, but sniffing, nudging, expecting attention is normal dog behavior. I pretty much expect other people's dogs to do so (and as a JW, going door to door, this is pretty much how it is. VERY few dogs jump on people, but almost all expect some attention).

HOWEVER, I definitely think people SHOULD control their dogs.

Yesterday, we went to a Half-Price Books that allows dogs (PetSmart is a couple doors down). My dog (1.5 yr old white schnauzer) wanted to visit other people. I didn't allow it. They were there for their own reasons and my dog can't just impose because she's interested and wants attention. However, lots of people came to us. Though *I* don't mind, I would never go up to someone's dog as I think it's rude and an imposition.

I picked A. I don't have any dogs inside our home because dh and dd1 have asthma, but this is what dogs do. They smell you, not shake your hand. They are animals, even though they are members of that person's family, if you are not part of that family, you should not expect the dog to ignore instincts.

Now, should the owner attempt to make sure you are comfortable, yes; but if you know there is a dog living there, you as the human should be prepared to enter his home. :D

I should clarify that I agree with others that sniffing is in a different category than being leapt upon. A dog running in and sniffing doesn't bother me. Jumping on me? Yes. Quite.

I said B but with the exception of sniffing. I have a miniature poodle and he doesn't have to get right up to you to smell. He is a watch dog and does bark at doorbells (which I want since I can't always hear them) but he doesn't jump up on guests unless they want this (by indicating with gestures and here, name) (some of the youngest's friends do this). He never licks anyone including us. SInce he is a well-behaved, non problem dog, I don't see a reason to exclude him or lock him away. When we take him on walks, we never let him come up and sniff others unless they initiate. My cat is more likely to be a nuisance and him I do lock away, if necessary.

I really do try to accommodate my guest to the best of my ability. If my dogs are obnoxious, or if the guest is known not to like dogs, I will make sure the dogs don't go near them. If I know they like animals, I will hold the dog at first and then once the guest is settled in I will allow my dogs to sniff (NOT lick) and then they will be fine, aside from the occasional visit (stare, maybe a quick lick) because the dog(s) appreciate the guest visiting.

Both are true.

DOGS LIVE HERE

If you don't want to be greeted with paws and swinging tails

If you don't like the feel of a cold nose or a wet tongue,

If you don't want to step over many scattered toys,

If you think that a home ought to smell of perfume,

If you don't mind all of this,

you will be instantly loved when you come inside,

because dogs live here.

Author: David Lester

LOVE this!

I voted A because that is what I expect when going into a household with dogs. I enjoy spending a few moments with the true master of the house;) before visiting with my human friends. My pups know not to jump, but they do greet guests excitedly with many "body wags" and yaps, and yes, they are permitted a friendly sniff. I only allow this for a minute or two, though, and they know when their greeting time is up. To be honest, I have thought seriously about hanging a sign on the front of my house that says, " My home is maintained for the comfort and security of children and dogs. If you don't like them, you won't like me, so don't bother knocking!"

As the dog owner, definitely B. As the visitor, I hope for B but prepare for A.

I have a double standard. As someone who loves dogs, I am not offended by someone's dog acting like a dog around me. We are going into their home, and they are going to get acquainted with us in the manner that dogs do that. Hopefully, they have been trained and won't go beyond incidental sniffing.

When people come to my home, I exercise complete control over my dog. Honestly, though, it is more to protect my dog from people than the other way around. Our dog is a treasured family member (I realize that is odd to many people) who we don't want harmed. We have had visitors with children who are quite mean toward animals and others who have been taught to fear dogs. Neither situation ends well for an animal. That being said, we have always trained our dogs, and I would not tolerate my dog going beyond "sniffing" invited guests.