Menu

The (yawn....) Hobbit is a real sleeper. Do you agree?

My son and I are reading The Hobbit together. I was expecting to love it. I do not love it. I even dread it a little bit.

I see the beauty of it. But that's too much beauty for my taste. The lovely descriptions are thorough. Then they are thorough again. And again. And then once more. Such long, tedious breaks in the plot!

I have enjoyed parts of it, certainly. Bilbo's meeting Gollum was great. The goblin chase scene will 'live' in my mind for some time.

But, I'm underwhelmed. So is my son, who is a reader with a lot of stamina.

Did you love The Hobbit? If so, why? If not, why not? We'd love to hear your thoughts and add them to our discussion of the book here at home.

Blasphemy!

Okay, maybe not that bad, but close. ;) I recommend listening to the audio book version with Rob Inglis. He really brings it to life in a way that might make it more interesting to you and your son.

Don't forget the background story that it brings to the Lord of the Rings. If you decide to not to finish the Hobbit, some parts of the Lord of the Rings will be confusing. It's not absolutely necessary, but I think it helps.

I have to say that your post is just painful to me, even as I recognize your right not to enjoy one of the best pieces of fiction ever produced by Western civilization.

I must say I am in Strider's camp on this one.

Keep going. Then watch the first 30 minutes of the LOTR movie. Then read the first of the LOTR books, followed by the movie. You may get yourself hooked yet!

Y'all are funny. I feel a bit blasphemous not enjoying Tolkein! I had every intention of loving it and am undoubtedly giving it a fair shake.

I am a die-hard reader of classics. I like books that very few of my friends wish to read -- even the likes of Henry James and some other 'dense' writers. I have read and re-read the unabridged version of Les Miserables. I won't bore you with other examples.

I find that his descriptions are so very extremely overly excessively lengthy ;). The story repeatedly comes to a screeching halt so we can hear (again) about the mountains and crags and valleys and clouds and peaks and the density of the forest.

But, I will continue reading. I'm only halfway through-- up to the excessively lengthy description of the house they stay in after they are rescued by the eagles.

I kept getting confused when I read the "Hobbit" years ago; thus, didn't care too much about it. So when I was looking for BOT's for dc when they were younger, I figured 'Why not'. The BOT was sooooo much better than the book, to me. And dc were really hooked. Not so with the LOTR, however.

The Hobbit and LOTR have helped me through the worst times in my life. When my father was dying and I was nursing him, I took a half hour or so everyday to read a little from them. They helped me keep it all in perspective. When I'm sad or depressed, I escape to Middle Earth. So it goes beyond just loving them; they speak to my soul.

As hard as it is for me to believe, you're not the first person I've ever met that didn't care for these books. And that's just fine. :001_smile:

Somehow I made it through The Hobbit, but I couldn't get through part 1 of TLOTR. I think I made it to the chapter about the history of one of the small villages they went through and started thinking, "Man, this guy is out of control!" and I never picked it up again. I'm sorry. I have, what's the term... low-brow taste in literature. I blame it on my education. I can't stand Hemmingway, I tried to do The Well-Educated Mind and couldn't make it through Don Quixote, so I tried Pilgrim's Progress and coudn't do that either. I detest Jane Austin. The only author who I truly enjoy that I can hold my head up when I mention him is John Steinbeck. Maybe a little of Dickens. So there. I feel purged. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Parts of the Hobbit are quite good and parts drag. But it is positively a rip roaring excitement compared to much of The Lord of the Rings.

Good to know. I have a feeling I won't be reading them.

So, if DO you love The Hobbit, what do you love about it? Is it the escape to another 'world' (as Ishki described)? The plot? The characters? The style of writing?

I haven't been able to get through any of the Tolkien books. They are way too wordy. My eyes glaze and my thoughts wander. I didn't like it on audio either though my son liked listening to it while he worked with his Legos. He was about 9 yrs. old at the time.

You want to here something blasphemous? I hated the LOTR movies. I didn't finish watching the first one and had no desire to watch the sequels.

So, if DO you love The Hobbit, what do you love about it? Is it the escape to another 'world' (as Ishki described)? The plot? The characters? The style of writing?

This is funny because I was wondering what, in particular, you DON'T like about it!

I love descriptive fiction. I love the higher speech of older days, and the dialect of Tolkien's locals. I think, overall, he created a world that I would really enjoy being a part of, in many ways, and fear being a part of at the same time. Perseverance in the pursuit a seemingly impossible quest... a love affair that endures the test of time... the nobility of character in the regal (Faramir) as well as the common (Samwise)... a place where trees are truly alive... truth and peace that supersedes the current events (Tom Bombadil)... and ELVES! So many things!

I guess I can't identify just one part - I just love the whole.

I have to say that your post is just painful to me, even as I recognize your right not to enjoy one of the best pieces of fiction ever produced by Western civilization.

I adore The Hobbit, and love LOTR even more.

Ah well . . . different strokes for different folks, eh?

:lol: :iagree: :lol:

I agree. The Hobbit and LOTR are just not my cuppa tea. I've never been able to get through any of them.

PS. I love Dickens though. Am I weird for preferring Dickens over Tolkien?

I hope not. I much, much, much (in fact, many 'muches') prefer Dickens to Tolkien. :) Actually, why are we even putting them in same sentence? Completely different leagues.......

I made it through The Hobbit and that IS IT. I was bored to tears, kept waiting for something interesting but the story and the telling of it are just not compelling to me at all.

My two oldest and my dh have read the Hobbit and love LOTR. I do not. But my kids are different than me. I don;t know whether the fact that they have a different sense of humor than me has anything to do with it.

While I read a lot, I tend to like movies of classics better. Someone mentioned Steinbeck- I really like his writing. I don't mind listening to more stories than I will read. DH read Pilgrim's Progress aloud and I really liked it. And the funny thing is that I can read complex articles and complicated modern plots but I seem to be partial to reading books that were written in the last two hundred years and weren't trying to be written in an old style (like LOTR).

I am worse than a blasphemer, because I have never [gasp] read Tolkien at all (although he's been sitting in my bookcase for years, or at least his books have)!

Could somebody possibly clarify, please, how exactly does Hobbit relate to Lord of the Rings etc? Is it a prequel, or an earlier version, or nothing to do with the latter? Would it be best to read that first, or can I just jump into the LOTR books?

Could somebody possibly clarify, please, how exactly does Hobbit relate to Lord of the Rings etc? Is it a prequel, or an earlier version, or nothing to do with the latter? Would it be best to read that first, or can I just jump into the LOTR books?

The Hobbit is a prequel, but you can jump right into LOTR. The Hobbit has more of a children's book feel to it, LOTR more adult.

I read both The Hobbit and LOTR for the first time in high school. Liked The Hobbit well enough to reread several times, but LOTR "didn't take" at all. ;) I reread the whole works to my then 10 yo son and both of us became major fans then. A few years later I tried The Hobbit as a read aloud with my younger two and they begged me to give it up because they were bored.

:iagree: with Hornblower. Bleak House reaches out and grabs you right away while I plodded and plodded through The Hobbit. To be honest, I'm not very into fantasy anyway, although I did enjoy Dune. At least I've seen all the movies and I'd even watch them again, so I'm not a complete Tolkienaphobe.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Ditto, Triple-0, Quadruple-O

I've read the Hobbit 5 times. It is one of my all time favorites.

I've actually not attempted to read "The Hobbit" but it has been read to me... In 7th grade, which was 1982/1983, our English teacher actually spent a certain amount of time each day reading this book to us. She did an excellent job, with wonderful voice inflections depicting various characters. She had posters of the characters, and she would ceremoniously hang them up as we were introduced to the character in the story. We had a small notebook that we actually kept character descriptions in, meaning we had to write definitions of the characters. We also had a map in the front of this notebook, where we would track the path of the characters through Middle Earth. So in essence, she created a mini-course within a course. There was more in the notebook, but my memory is failing me! It seems that perhaps we kept track of themes and changes in the setting, but what stands out most is tracking the Hobbit on the map! Anyway, all I can say is that we, as a class, were mesmerized by the story. She always ended each day in a manner that left us begging her to read just a little more! So, I'm not sure (since we have not gotten to the point in our schooling that we have picked up this classic for ourselves), but I have to say that I loved it all those years ago. By the way, I would not say that I am someone who particularly enjoys this genre of literature. But somehow our teacher's passion for it certainly carried over on the whole class.

Guest Virginia Dawn
This is funny because I was wondering what, in particular, you DON'T like about it!

I love descriptive fiction. I love the higher speech of older days, and the dialect of Tolkien's locals. I think, overall, he created a world that I would really enjoy being a part of, in many ways, and fear being a part of at the same time. Perseverance in the pursuit a seemingly impossible quest... a love affair that endures the test of time... the nobility of character in the regal (Faramir) as well as the common (Samwise)... a place where trees are truly alive... truth and peace that supersedes the current events (Tom Bombadil)... and ELVES! So many things!

:iagree:

You said it so well. Also, I identified with Frodo so much that I felt as though I were the one being force out of my comfort zone and into adventure, yet still fighting to keep my identity. It was a great life lesson for me when I was young.

I winced too, the horror. :tongue_smilie:

I would really try it with the Rob Inglais audio before you gave up on it.

The watch the old animated version

Agree with Strider, LOTR rules. Especially, when you have read it at least ten times and then discover Rob Inglais who will read it to you at bedtime. :)

And you fall even deeper in love with the magic.

I think most of the elements you've mentioned here are from the Trilogy -- am I correct? So far, we have no romance in The Hobbit, and none of the characters you've mentioned. (I remember seeing them in the trilogy movies...)

Here is what doesn't 'work' for me with The Hobbit: they should have just stayed home. I'm not too sympathetic with their 'need' to go and get back at Smaug. As far as I can tell (I'm only halfway through, remember...), the journey is motivated by revenge.

In the Trilogy, I believe they are motivated to save all that is good and right and beautiful in the world by destroying the power of the Ring. Now, THAT I can hang my hat on. Not revenge against Smaug, the nasty dragon who took our gold and destroyed our village. And they seem to have no PLAN. They're just going. To get their gold. And fight Big Bad Smaug. (Or, am I missing something?)

I don't care enough about their gold, or even about them avenging the deaths of the people who Smaug killed. I'm trying to care, but I just can't seem to eek it out.

(Perhaps some of you are now putting me on 'Ignore.' ;))

I'll keep trying. Because, as I've said, I want to like (LOVE, even) these books.

I've actually not attempted to read "The Hobbit" but it has been read to me... In 7th grade, which was 1982/1983, our English teacher actually spent a certain amount of time each day reading this book to us. She did an excellent job, with wonderful voice inflections depicting various characters. She had posters of the characters, and she would ceremoniously hang them up as we were introduced to the character in the story. We had a small notebook that we actually kept character descriptions in, meaning we had to write definitions of the characters. We also had a map in the front of this notebook, where we would track the path of the characters through Middle Earth. So in essence, she created a mini-course within a course. There was more in the notebook, but my memory is failing me! It seems that perhaps we kept track of themes and changes in the setting, but what stands out most is tracking the Hobbit on the map! Anyway, all I can say is that we, as a class, were mesmerized by the story. She always ended each day in a manner that left us begging her to read just a little more! So, I'm not sure (since we have not gotten to the point in our schooling that we have picked up this classic for ourselves), but I have to say that I loved it all those years ago. By the way, I would not say that I am someone who particularly enjoys this genre of literature. But somehow our teacher's passion for it certainly carried over on the whole class.

OMGOSH! This sounds so wonderful!!!

I'd love to do this with my youngest!

I didn't try to analyze it. I just thought it was a great story with many unexpected turns. It's like I told my kids when they asked me why I liked the Harry Potter stories ..... because in the world of magic, ANYthing is possible. The sky's the limit.

Also, my generation watched TV shows like Bewitched, The Adams Family, The Munsters, The Twilight Zone, Dark Shadows, Alfred Hitchcock, Batman, My Favorite Martian, I Dream of Jeannie, Superman, etc. And ancient horror movies like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, etc., with actors like Bella Lugosi, Lon Chaney, and Boris Karloff. So The Hobbit fit right in.

My older brother and his friends were so wrapped up in LOTR that they made their own little language, names for each other, maps, etc. :001_huh: I thought they were a little wierd, however.

Also, I find many uses for The Hobbit. For example, when we first moved here, an old man who's land borders our land would swoop through every year before hunting season and mark his border with blaze orange paint. He always snuck in when no one was looking. We nicknamed him Smaug. :D

Another example. We live downwind of a paper mill. One of our neighbors who loves LOTR refers to the paper mill town as Mordor because he says, "It's dark and it stinks." Very true. And I would add it's full of rather shady characters. :)

I was crushed when I tried to read The Hobbit and LOTR and detested them. I love (love love love) the genre. So, I was excited to read the book that sort of started the whole genre--but then ended up hating it! What a disappointment!

My dh has read all of the books at least 8 times. He read them to my ds 7. My dh's passion for the story really came through and my son loved to listen to it.

I really liked the movies a lot. In fact, it was after watching the movies that I tried to read the books again, thinking that now that I knew the whole story I could push thru the boring parts. Nah.

I think most of the elements you've mentioned here are from the Trilogy -- am I correct? So far, we have no romance in The Hobbit, and none of the characters you've mentioned. (I remember seeing them in the trilogy movies...)

Here is what doesn't 'work' for me with The Hobbit: they should have just stayed home. I'm not too sympathetic with their 'need' to go and get back at Smaug. As far as I can tell (I'm only halfway through, remember...), the journey is motivated by revenge.

In the Trilogy, I believe they are motivated to save all that is good and right and beautiful in the world by destroying the power of the Ring. Now, THAT I can hang my hat on. Not revenge against Smaug, the nasty dragon who took our gold and destroyed our village. And they seem to have no PLAN. They're just going. To get their gold. And fight Big Bad Smaug. (Or, am I missing something?)

I don't care enough about their gold, or even about them avenging the deaths of the people who Smaug killed. I'm trying to care, but I just can't seem to eek it out.

(Perhaps some of you are now putting me on 'Ignore.' ;))

I'll keep trying. Because, as I've said, I want to like (LOVE, even) these books.

Maybe an idea that you could toy with as you read the Hobbit, and I hope, LOTR, is how Tolkien thinks about nature, and what Smaug (and later Saruman and Sauron) do to it. And, maybe, how Tolkien's experiences in WWI could color his worldview. And what those two things have in common with one another. I don't really think Tolkien is interested in revenge or gold either--I think he's interested in honor and loyalty and beauty in nature.

And, I too regard your dislike for it as (nearly) blasphemous. ;)

OMGOSH! This sounds so wonderful!!!

I'd love to do this with my youngest!

I know! As I was reading what I was typing, I started thinking, "okay, I have to tackle this piece of literature with my dc the same way Ms. Evans did all those years ago!" So, I am now considering this for a read aloud - along with the handy dandy Middle Earth notebook, lol!

Yes, different strokes. I hate TOTR, Narnia, Harry Potter, essentially ALL FANTASY GENRE. Hate it with a passion and can NOT comprehend what other people see in it. On the other had, my DH, and 3 DDs LOVE it, read them all out loud to each other, watch the movies endlessly, listen to the audio.....ack! It drives me crazy. I am surrounded by fantasy lovers. I have to leave the room. :D