Menu

My baby turns nine today

Why is it that babies just keep growing up?

My one and only is just six months younger and I am in the middle of redecorating her room from the nursery theme to a little girl's pink theme with castles and horses. Plus, it has been hitting me that we are nearly halfway through that part of her life when I am responsible for her education. Talk about pressure!!!!

I hope your family has an enjoyable day.

How did that happen?

I remember her being either a newborn or at the very least, a very young baby (under six months?) when I first started WTMing and hanging out here!

(Or at least I think I remember that! The old grey mare--ahem, old grey matter--just isn't what it used to be! :lol: )

Q: What is the eldest doing for his gap year? We are tossing that idea around here, too, for dd.

Wow! Congrats to you all, and happiest of birthdays, Emily!

Happy Birthday to Emily! Time does go by. My baby is 10 now. It's a bittersweet feeling for me. It makes me really want to slow down and treasure every moment with them. My oldest turns 21 soon. Babies do grow up quickly. Which reminds me of a poem I came across years ago:

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth

empty the dustpan, poison the moth,

hang out the washing and butter the bread,

sew on a button and make up a bed.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?

She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue

(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due

(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew

and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo

but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.

Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,

for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.

I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Happy Birthday, Emily!

My Emily just turned 17 on Friday. It's a very odd feeling, especially when I consider the bride at a recent wedding I attended was 17. Aaacckk!

I was standing in line at the library yesterday which happens to be near the kiddie section. A huge display of picture books stabbed me with a pang of nostalgia - or more like a PAIN - realizing those days are over. It really, truly is very odd.

Oh, how I agree! The hubby and I were just talking about how quickly it all goes. My baby is 5 and my others are 9, almost 14, and 16. I just can't believe it. It hit me really hard when I realized that my Mackenzie was going to be too old to participate in some of the library activities - and I'm thinking, "No!! She's just a baby, can't you see?" Something we were talking about the other day had us looking at a date 10 years down the road...and then it hit me like a ton of bricks...my kids will be 26, 24, 19...and my baby will be 15!!! Seriously, how can we slow this ride down?!

Happy Birthday to your baby!

Got lost in my misery and forgot the intent of my post...must be old age...

I hope her day (and yours) is fabulous. Just try to seize the moments, because I think time is moving more quickly each and every year.

Once again, Happy, Happy Birthday!

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth

empty the dustpan, poison the moth,

hang out the washing and butter the bread,

sew on a button and make up a bed.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?

She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due

(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew

and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo

but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.

Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,

for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.

I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

If I'm not mistaken, this poem is entitled "Ode to a Fifth Child". .. I stitched it on a sampler for my own fifth, who is as we speak copying the alphabet and wearing a Snow White nightgown.

Happy Birthday to your Emily, SWB! Not that "we're" getting any older. . .

when my oldest turned 9, I was unprepared for the flood of emotions I felt as I realized that our time with him was half way over! I cried on his birthdays after that for awhile, but now have grown to accept that they all grow up and leave the nest one day. :crying:

I was 40 when my youngest was born and 41 when she came home to live with us. Some days I think, "What was I thinking?!" But now that we're homeschooling (again) and having SO much fun, I'm so glad that I'll have kids around for so long!

Happy Birthday to your dd!

Emily is turning nine today.

I don't usually put the kids' birthdays online :001_smile: but this one just hit me this morning when I got up. The baby is getting big. So are they all. Christopher's 18 and heading off for his gap year, Ben's 16, Dan's turning 13 later this week.

Time goes by. Astounding.

SWB

It really is amazing, the time goes all too quickly. Happy birthday, to both of you. :grouphug:

Happy Birthday, Emily! They grow too fast. You do everything you can to help them grow strong and independent, then they do... :(

My oldest baby (27) is now grown and independent. She's sitting at the dining room table today teaching her brother (10). Where did my baby girl go? She's a grown woman now. I'm so hapy/sad.

Emily is turning nine today.

I don't usually put the kids' birthdays online :001_smile: but this one just hit me this morning when I got up. The baby is getting big. So are they all. Christopher's 18 and heading off for his gap year, Ben's 16, Dan's turning 13 later this week.

Time goes by. Astounding.

SWB

My baby girl turned 9 last week. I cannot believe it. Happy Birthday, Emily!